Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD: No Show on 1st Day?
MG&Lsmom 10:54 AM 11-30-2010
So I had this family call 2 weeks ago, supposed to come for interview last week. Never called to confirm. Called me this past Sunday night at 7pm wanting to start yesterday, sight unseen. I said no, but they could come interview. Told me he'd be here at 7:30 for interview.

Well, he didn't show until 8:20, 15 mins before I had to get DD to preschool. Needless to say, she was late.

I decided to give them a chance, 2 week trial period, starting today. Told me he'd be here by 7:30am. Well, it's 2:30pm, no call, nothing.

WWYD? DH said to call them. I say, good riddance. We have no signed contract. He was bringing it back, along with all the enrollment forms and deposit today. But this is a trend, 3 times he didn't follow through. Trouble right? And this is the mostly non-English speaking family. Dad brought a friend to interpret yesterday, so I know he understood. I think it's a cultural difference. The kid was wicked cute and sweet too.
laundrymom 11:03 AM 11-30-2010
I would wait until they do show and stop them at the door,... Tell them since they didn't show you replaced them. You have one More opening but the rate is 10 higher per week.
momofboys 11:05 AM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
So I had this family call 2 weeks ago, supposed to come for interview last week. Never called to confirm. Called me this past Sunday night at 7pm wanting to start yesterday, sight unseen. I said no, but they could come interview. Told me he'd be here at 7:30 for interview.

Well, he didn't show until 8:20, 15 mins before I had to get DD to preschool. Needless to say, she was late.

I decided to give them a chance, 2 week trial period, starting today. Told me he'd be here by 7:30am. Well, it's 2:30pm, no call, nothing.

WWYD? DH said to call them. I say, good riddance. We have no signed contract. He was bringing it back, along with all the enrollment forms and deposit today. But this is a trend, 3 times he didn't follow through. Trouble right? And this is the mostly non-English speaking family. Dad brought a friend to interpret yesterday, so I know he understood. I think it's a cultural difference. The kid was wicked cute and sweet too.
I personally would call if nothing more than to let them know they inconvenienced you & were rude by not calling/showing up. Of course I would not use those words but it is beyond belief how lacking in courtesy some people can be!
Live and Learn 11:15 AM 11-30-2010
The first two weeks are the honeymoon period. if things are this bad now they are only going to get worse.
MG&Lsmom 11:27 AM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
The first two weeks are the honeymoon period. if things are this bad now they are only going to get worse.
Exactly this! I'm not even worried about the kid, just the parents.

My fear is if I don't call them they will show up expecting to drop him off. I don't have any fulltimers, just drop-in hours kids, so the whole I filled the spot doesn't work. And since I only have those couple of kids every other week or so, I made DR and hair appts for myself for this week that I completely rearranged since I couldn't exactly bring him with me.
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 11-30-2010
I would normally say three strike and your out which this family has already accomplished, however, I recently had an experience with a family from another culture so I have some differing views now. This mom calls and wants to bring her child for a "play date" for an hour. She tells me she is right outside in the driveway and will bring her daughter right in. I was like "Really? Who does that?" So I told her I don't necessarily do drop in with out meeting people and enrolling with all the paperwork etc. I tell her the next step is to set up an interview. So she tells me she will come back tomorrow to do an interview. We set up a time and when she comes in I learn that she is from the Czechoslovakia and they have enormous differences in how they seek out child care and stuff. Anyways long story short, I acepted them into my program and they could be a better family!! It just takes a lot of open communication and double checking that we both understand things in the same way. Her child is 18 months and completely bi-lingual so it is a neat learning experience for everyone involved. I would call them and see if you can't clear up the lines of communication. If you still have a bad feeling or things just don't seem right, I would write them off. This family I have pays me wonderfully and I am glad to have them although the initial meeting and set up was tough, we made it!
My Daycare 01:14 PM 11-30-2010
That happened to me once. I emailed an immediate termination letter and was done with it. Even though you don't have a contract, just email and say you will not be able to care for so and so.
jen 01:23 PM 11-30-2010
That happened to me one as well...I emailed Mom on Tuesday (supposed to start on a Monday) and asked politely if there was a change in plans, she said she was in the hospital and apologized for not calling. I wasn't sure what to think, I thought maybe she was trying to find a way to duck out...

Turned out she was in the hospital, started the next week, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her family.

Anway, I would just send and email and see whats what before you make any decisions.
MG&Lsmom 11:22 AM 12-01-2010
Guess what? No show again today. No call. Left a message at Dad's place of work that he needs to call me by 5pm today or consider his application for care denied. He works at a pizza place, so who knows if he'll even get it. Seriously, he was begging me to take the kid sight unseen on Monday. Sorry I wasted my time.
kidkair 11:29 AM 12-01-2010
I'd say he failed the two week trial period. I've had people do stuff like that with the applications before. I never called them. I just geared myself up to say "You failed to show when scheduled and I am denying your application." They never showed or called though so I never had to actually tell anyone this.
Tags:no show, wwyd
Reply Up