Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Opening a Home Daycare
SunshineDC 07:36 PM 02-19-2013
Hi! I am new to this forum. I am considering opening up a home daycare after working as an accountant for the last 14 years (tired of working the business world!). I have a husband, 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter. It is scary for my family and I to think about making such a drastic change but I know I would love it and get excited at the thought of caring for little ones. What I am looking for is advice on what I should consider (good/bad) before I make the big leap. Has anyone else opened up a home daycare later in life (I am 35 years old) and what were the biggest challenges you faced. Thanks for any advice you can give!
nanglgrl 08:04 PM 02-19-2013
You have to be ready to have no clients for a while. A lot of people start out thinking they will be full right away but it usually takes at least 6 months and it depends on what time of year you open. In my 10 years doing this I can't count how many people I've helped start out that have quit in the first 6 months-1 year. Often times they start out planning to charge less than the competition in an effort to get clients but it backfires when they get the type of clients that don't pay or have other problems.

Know your states rules for unlicensed or licensed child care and follow them.

This business has lot's of ups and downs. One minute you can be full and the next you can have one child. You need to be able to plan your income for that.

Keep every receipt and get receipts for everything!

Have a great contract!

Taking care of children as a job is nothing like playing with children for fun or playing with your own children. I love to entertain the child in the shopping cart in front of me while waiting to check out at the grocery or making the child laugh at a birthday party but when it's in your home and you are responsible for their safety and needs it is a completely different feeling. I won't say there aren't fun times...I have lot's of those throughout the day, but I will say I am on and definitely working and feeling stress.

Get paid in advance.

Have a great backbone.

Know that no matter how well you get a long with a family, how much you joke or have in common they will always do what's best for their family (just as you would). So don't expect anything.

Don't watch your friends or families children unless you have a strong backbone, great, respectful friends and a clear and well thought out contract.
Michael 08:39 PM 02-19-2013
Welcome to the forum!
Starburst 10:42 PM 02-19-2013
I haven't started mine yet because I am currently in school trying to get my AA in child developement But have worked at a home daycare before (she is still running it after 30+ years) and always knew that I wanted to work with kids.

Think about what age groups you plan on taking
- are you willing to work with infants? do you prefer preschoolers or before/after-schoolers? Do you want to teach preschool and offer a curriculum?
- look at what your age ratios are and how this can affect the age groups you want to take (consider taking some child development or ECE classes)

What hours are you willing to work? are you flexible?
- If there are hours that you want to stick to do not waffle, you still need your time and family time or you WILL burn out.

Will you be wiling to take subsidized care?
-are you willing to take families that are on child care assistances programs? are you aware of all the pros and cons?

Make sure you portray yourself as a professional business woman; you're a family child care provider NOT a babysitter or nanny. Have clear cut rules and stick to them. Make sure you have boundries and limits. Do NOT wear your PJs all day- when you open you should be ready for the day, just like you expect the children to be. While it may pay in someways to be nice and chummy with daycare parents, do NOT share too much personal information about yourself and you family with them (it will bite you in the end). Do NOT socialize with them too much- maybe you can join a book club or take a class or somthing with them that's fine; but not going out drinking or dancing or anything like that. Do not gossip about other daycare children or families to them (or they may think you do this with their children too). The 99 Cent Store and the $1 Tree are your new BFFs!

During interviews:
* First time interviews should be after hours or on weekends- never when daycare children are there (safety issue)
* Dress nicely (I hear wearing blue makes people trust you)
* Make eye contact, smile- avoid crossing arms and legs (can be taken as closing yourself off to them)
* Give them a tour of your house and go over the contract and your policies
* Maybe have some food out (cookies, brownies, doughnuts, fruit/veggie dips, pizza rolls, cheese and crackers) or something to drink (pitcher or bottle of water, milk, a bottle of apple cider {no alcohol}, coffee, tea) or at least offer them something to drink.
* If you think your children will behave you can try to introduce them to your family (husband, children, anyone else who may be in the home during daycare hours)
lovemykidstoo 04:47 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by SunshineDC:
Hi! I am new to this forum. I am considering opening up a home daycare after working as an accountant for the last 14 years (tired of working the business world!). I have a husband, 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter. It is scary for my family and I to think about making such a drastic change but I know I would love it and get excited at the thought of caring for little ones. What I am looking for is advice on what I should consider (good/bad) before I make the big leap. Has anyone else opened up a home daycare later in life (I am 35 years old) and what were the biggest challenges you faced. Thanks for any advice you can give!
I started my daycare after my 2nd chiild was born. I was 36. I worked 13 years at a bank and wrote mortgages and equity loans. The first year was very dry. After that I have had no problem being full. My biggest advice is to be firm on your rules and have them very thoroughly explained in your contract or info sheet. I dont' have a contract per se, but do have an information sheet that the parent signs detailing the rules. Also, I would avoid family/close friends because I felt that they needed a discount and that screwed me. I lost out on alot of income that way and also I felt like I couldn't be as firm with the rules with them. I know my fault and trust me, I've learned from it. Go for it! Good luck!
melilley 06:07 AM 02-20-2013
Hi! Well I just opened my in home daycare (about a month ago) and I'm 34 and have a 10 year old and 6 month old. After 14 years working in a center setting, I left to open. So far the only thing that has been negative in doing so is that I have yet to enroll any children-well I have one starting in March, but as I've seen on here, it may take a while to get children when you first open. So be sure to have extra money saved up if needed! Also, if you need to get a license in your state, be prepared to shell out some money to get your license and other things needed to obtain your license. You may want to start the process before you quit your current job, unless you have money saved up or are rich..lol oh and like others have said, a backbone is necessary! I have had trouble finding mine, but I'm slowly gaining one from doing phone calls and such. You learn as you go. It is going to be a big change for your family, but if this is what you really want to do-go for it!
Good luck!
DaisyMamma 07:23 AM 02-20-2013
Dedicated space is important.

For me, right now, anyway, my trouble is personal space.
My daycare is in the middle of the house, which is a ranch. It's a large ranch, but still our bedrooms are at one end and living room on the other, with ONE bathroom, kitchen and playroom are in the middle of the house.
My husband has trouble with it. It's a big deal to have a daycare in the middle of your home. Nothing is personal.

My children have trouble with the daycare. My youngest is 3 and aggressive towards the other kids. My older one is 6 and resents them.

Make sure your family knows what is involved. It sounds like so much fun to start a daycare to your kids, AND IT IS! But it's also very difficult to have people/kids around when they want to play alone. Make sure they have their own space.

Have well written policies and contracts that parents sign and be very very strict about them.
Tags:advice, start a day care
Reply Up