Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Wording Handbook For A Specific Family
Unregistered 08:08 AM 06-14-2011
Next month a new family is starting and I know the mom from a previous job I worked at. I am making some changes to my handbook specifically for her copy (is that bad?) because this is a girl who is too smart for her own good. She will memorize my handbook, make sure I, MYSELF, am following it to a tee, find loopholes around some of the policies AND I would not put it past her to call DHS whenever she doesn't get her way. I'm taking her kids because...well, I need the money and I do get along with her, just don't like how manipulative she can be. SO...I have in there that I will terminate for late payments/not following sick policies/uncontrollable behaviours etc. but I want to put something in there about being able to terminate just because I don't feel like things are going well. I feel if I put something like that in there she may think twice about calling DHS for dumb reasons. (when we worked together she called HR all the time and knew she couldn't get fired for it, but I want her to know that that's not the case at my house. That if I feel like the relationship between us is not going good then she will have to find another place). It's just hard to explain...I want to befriend her, but ya always gotta watch your back! haha! So do I say something like {If at any time I feel the parent/provider or child/provider relationship is...whats the word I'm looking for!...then I will give a two week notice for the family to find another provider} I don't know. I may be freaking out for no reason.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Next month a new family is starting and I know the mom from a previous job I worked at. I am making some changes to my handbook specifically for her copy (is that bad?) because this is a girl who is too smart for her own good. She will memorize my handbook, make sure I, MYSELF, am following it to a tee, find loopholes around some of the policies AND I would not put it past her to call DHS whenever she doesn't get her way. I'm taking her kids because...well, I need the money and I do get along with her, just don't like how manipulative she can be. SO...I have in there that I will terminate for late payments/not following sick policies/uncontrollable behaviours etc. but I want to put something in there about being able to terminate just because I don't feel like things are going well. I feel if I put something like that in there she may think twice about calling DHS for dumb reasons. (when we worked together she called HR all the time and knew she couldn't get fired for it, but I want her to know that that's not the case at my house. That if I feel like the relationship between us is not going good then she will have to find another place). It's just hard to explain...I want to befriend her, but ya always gotta watch your back! haha! So do I say something like {If at any time I feel the parent/provider or child/provider relationship is...whats the word I'm looking for!...then I will give a two week notice for the family to find another provider} I don't know. I may be freaking out for no reason.
She did this to you or about others? Why would you even consider working wiht someone who is that mean and manipulative? And why in the world would you be willing to trust someone that you already don't trust? Waaay too many red flags for me......
wdmmom 08:20 AM 06-14-2011
I have it listed at the very end of my contract that provider may term for any reason at any time with or without notice.

That pretty much sums it up to me. You don't follow the rules, we don't get along, your kids are horrible to care for, kids are dressed in polka dots and you don't like polka dots () etc, you're well within your right to terminate if that's what it needs to come to.
dEHmom 08:21 AM 06-14-2011
open and clear communication is key to a successful relationship. If I feel that we are unable to satisfactorily meet this requirement, then I reserve the right to terminate services effective immediately or with a 2 week notice.
TBird 08:30 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have it listed at the very end of my contract that provider may term for any reason at any time with or without notice.
That definitely sums it up!!!

IMHO I wouldn't take her in the first place. As I get older (UGH) I've started to realize that my time and sanity (neither of which I can get back once they're gone) are just as valuable as money to me in the long run. If I can see people like this coming, I run like the wind!!!
LittleD 10:16 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
SO...I have in there that I will terminate for late payments/not following sick policies/uncontrollable behaviours etc. but I want to put something in there about being able to terminate just because I don't feel like things are going well.

I don't know. I may be freaking out for no reason.
Use phrases like "including, but not limited to"

Nope, for someone like that, you need to cover all of your bases. Luckily you know ahead of time she is like this.
But you should protect yourself like this in the future as well. If a parent balks at having to sign a contract like that, let them know that under normal circumstances you do give 2 weeks notice.
daycare 10:22 AM 06-14-2011
all you need to do is state that it is an at will contract and that the provider has the right to give notice at any time....

Also, I would use the words that you are not able to meet the needs of the children or the needs of the family if you do need to term. This is what LIC to me to use. This way you do not have to give exact reason.
SandeeAR 01:58 PM 06-14-2011
This is how mine is worded.

Termination Policy

Provider/Sandee may terminate the contract at will without notice.

You are required to give two-week’s written notice when you decide to terminate childcare.

Termination letters are accepted on Fridays only. The two weeks will be paid in full, upon receipt of notice, regardless of whether or not your child is in attendance. If it should be necessary to go to court over nonpayment of fees owed for services, client will be responsible for the following:

All fees owed to provider for care.
All late fees, incurring daily until the bill is paid.
Any court and attorney fees.

Termination will not be accepted while provider or parents are on vacation
Unregistered 04:02 PM 06-14-2011
Well, it's a long story and a long history. I think part of the reason she called HR all the time is because she wanted our boss' job. She wants the best for her kids that's why when she heard I was doing daycare she decided to pull her kids out of the other place. She never called DHS on the last for things that upset her so I'm hoping that would never happen. But I have to be prepared for it. She will keep me on my toes that's for sure. I just want to make it known where her "place" is at my house and then I think the relationship will be fine. Call me desperate...but I'm not gettin' any other phone calls!
Michael 04:06 PM 06-14-2011
A good handbook sample here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28663
Tags:handbook, handbook - layout, handbook - sample
Reply Up