Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Handbook Who Else Is Rewriting....HELP
lvt77 11:57 AM 01-07-2011
I am in the process of rewriting my PHB..... I could use some advice...
I want to make sure I cover the important things, but now my PHB is almost 12 pages long.....
Anyone care to share theirs....maybe we can trade???

how long is too long?
AmandasFCC 12:40 PM 01-07-2011
Mine is 12 pages long too. And mine doesn't even touch a lot of things that other providers do.
missnikki 01:00 PM 01-07-2011
As you can tell by the size of this forum and the variety of topics, no such thing as too long. You should make it as long as it needs to be to get the point across concisely, with no grey areas, and with everything you expect and everything the parents should expect, etc... The easy part is the page that says "I have received and read the handbook ,and agree to abide by all polices as set forth in the handbook. Signed, _____"

Mine has crept up to 24 pages, back down to 18 currently, having taken out the parts that repeat and referencing them instead. (Like, 'see "Payment Procedures", page 4 for details' when talking about billing more than once)

You can do less, but the less you spell out, the more they will question you and push for favors.
lvt77 01:14 PM 01-07-2011
i agree with you...i feel like i cant cover everything but want to cover the things that cause saftey issues or things that would not be fair...like not picking up for hour after pick up time....
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:07 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I am in the process of rewriting my PHB..... I could use some advice...
I want to make sure I cover the important things, but now my PHB is almost 12 pages long.....
Anyone care to share theirs....maybe we can trade???

how long is too long?
Would you want to let me see yours? I am also working on one (for when I open my own), and after finding this forum I've learned how important policies are to a business. So far it's 11 pages, covering everything I could think of...but I just know I'm forgetting the most important stuff (kwim?)! and adding too much explanation in other areas.
lvt77 03:10 PM 01-07-2011
yes of course... I can send you my old one as my new one is a mess right now and in the process of writing and editing....
Michael 03:17 PM 01-07-2011
You may be able to find more information from our preious Handbook threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=handbook
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:01 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
yes of course... I can send you my old one as my new one is a mess right now and in the process of writing and editing....
Thank you! That'd be great! Can you send it as a PM?
KEG123 06:35 PM 01-07-2011
I've got 22 pages that are double spaced. I might cut it to single spaced to save page room, though.
lvt77 09:55 PM 01-07-2011
sure I can do that...
nannyde 07:13 AM 01-08-2011
I don't have a handbook but I have policies: http://www.nanshouse.com/policies.htm
Tags:handbook
Reply Up