Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tummy Sleeper.....
youretooloud 10:20 AM 12-05-2011
I have a five month old that flips over the second I lay him down in his crib.

He turns over, puts his bum in the air, and his thumb in his mouth.

At what age do you say "Oh, fine...sleep like that". ?
BigMama 10:31 AM 12-05-2011
I have read that whenever they are physically able to turn over themselves that it is ok for them to stay in that position. Just keep placing him on his back when you initially lay him down and let him get comfortable however he wants.
MarinaVanessa 11:08 AM 12-05-2011
Yep it's the same for me too. I will physically put the infant down to sleep on it's back and if the infants rolls him or herself over then it's ok. That's what's recommended by pediatricians anyway.
jojosmommy 11:10 AM 12-05-2011
We are told back to sleep but not to mess with them once they flip themselves over. If he can get that way he is probably safe to stay that way.
SilverSabre25 11:11 AM 12-05-2011
yep. what the others said. Once the babe can get there himself, leave him.

Hence my tummy sleeping DS since three months, and my side sleeping daughter from two days old.
caring4kidsinSD 11:55 AM 12-06-2011
If you are worried - get the Angel Care Monitor. I had one who did that from a very little age - He was too little to flip back over but somehow would manage to flip over before he fell asleep. Worried me to death until I found out about the Angel Care Monitor and it's a great peace of mind(and saves me running to check on him every 10 minutes).

It's a monitor that has a pad you put under the mattress and it monitors his breathing. If it slows drastically or stops, the alarm goes off - then you rush in to check. Most of the time it's a false alarm(had that only happen one) but it's the best peace of mind device I've found!
Cat Herder 06:08 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
(and saves me running to check on him every 10 minutes).
No device will save as many lives as supervision.

Naptime with infants in childcare should be supervised time, IME.

OP, when child can roll himself, you are fine. Keep crib clear and lay him down on his back to start just like you are doing.
Nellie 10:16 AM 12-07-2011
[quote=Catherder;174259]No device will save as many lives as supervision.

OP, when child can roll himself, you are fine. Keep crib clear and lay him down on his back to start just like you are doing.[/QUOTE

Do you sit an watch each infants chest rise and fall while they sleep for sometimes half of a day? Please don't take this as a snarky comment. I'm always very interested what others do to provide saftey.
Solandia 10:23 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
Do you sit an watch each infants chest rise and fall while they sleep for sometimes half of a day? Please don't take this as a snarky comment. I'm always very interested what others do to provide saftey.
I'll answer! Yeah, sorta. An small infant is always, always sleeping in a visible-to-me area. At about 9mo or so, then I will put the crib around the corner, but I have a very open floor plan, so even then I can sit at the play table and see the baby while I watch the others play. Not to mention that the babies in my care have been noisy breathers and I can hear & see them breathe up to about 10-15feet away. Well, except my youngest son, he could be a ninja, you have to put your finger under his nose to check for breathing. My foster son is also a loud breather, so even though he would nap upstairs in his own crib, I could hear every breath he took on the monitor.
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
I don't think it was snarky at all. It is a wonderful question and I love that you asked. It is my favorite soapbox.... can you hear the groans from longtime posters?

(For those that have heard the story ad nauseum; Sorry... but some have not.)

My Son died in a back room of a home daycare, alone. The provider put him back there so he would not be disturbed as older children came in from school.

He was dead for hours before he was dicovered.

Naptime IN CHILDCARE should be supervised time.

All 6 of my crew are laying within a few feet of me at this very moment.

One is sucking his thumb and smacking......my least favorite sound.

Another is whistling through one nostril, so I turned on the humidifier...he should feel better in a bit.

It can be done. I promise. I do it every day.
laundrymom 10:50 AM 12-07-2011
[quote=Nellie;174486]
Originally Posted by Catherder:
No device will save as many lives as supervision.

OP, when child can roll himself, you are fine. Keep crib clear and lay him down on his back to start just like you are doing.[/QUOTE

I do. Every child is in sight AND sound of me every moment. Every day. Infants are in nap room with everyone else. And yes. I watch them all. Sleep. Every day.
Hunni Bee 04:42 PM 12-07-2011
I don't understand how someone could leave an infant sleeping for hours without checking on them.

I wouldn't leave a school-ager sleeping that long unattended.

I know its probably easier for me because Im in a center and all mine are around the same age and nap at the same time, but my sleeping kids are never out of my sight longer than it would take to run to restroom or go get something. Even then, they're not out of earshot.

If our job is supervise and take care of children, I don't understand why people think that doesn't extend to naptime.
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I don't understand how someone could leave an infant sleeping for hours without checking on them.

I wouldn't leave a school-ager sleeping that long unattended.

I know its probably easier for me because Im in a center and all mine are around the same age and nap at the same time, but my sleeping kids are never out of my sight longer than it would take to run to restroom or go get something. Even then, they're not out of earshot.

If our job is supervise and take care of children, I don't understand why people think that doesn't extend to naptime.
In her defense this was 21 years ago before there WAS any training for home providers here.

She was caring for childcare kids the same way she cared for her own kids. "Let sleeping babies lay" USED to be the norm.

She lost EVERYTHING after this happened...her marriage, her business, her reputation in the community and her home. She almost lost the baby she was carrying as well. I have no true ill will for her and she still has to see my face at the local grocery store.

I'd not wish that on anyone.
sharlan 06:41 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
In her defense this was 21 years ago before there WAS any training for home providers here.

She was caring for childcare kids the same way she cared for her own kids. "Let sleeping babies lay" USED to be the norm.

She lost EVERYTHING after this happened...her marriage, her business, her reputation in the community and her home. She almost lost the baby she was carrying as well. I have no true ill will for her and she still has to see my face at the local grocery store.

I'd not wish that on anyone.
I appreciate you sharing your story with us. I know it must still be painful for both you and the provider.
Tags:excessive tagging, infant - safety, infant - sleeping issues, infant care, naptime - requirements, naptime -infants, sids, sleeps on stomach, suid, supervision - active vs. passive, supervision - inadequate, tummy sleeper
Reply Up