Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do When a Child Won't Stop Crying.. at Nap Time
JaydensMommy 01:38 PM 08-09-2011
I have a little girl that continuously throughout the day will tell me she wants to go home. I used to watch her part time, now it is full time and she is usually ok if we are doing a craft or playing outside. But lunch time, clean up time and especially NAP TIME she will start saying she wants to go home. At nap time she will start crying hysterically saying she wants to go home, she wants to talk to her mommy. I have tried calling mom and they will talk, doesn't help much. Dad has came to pick her up once since I couldn't get her to calm down. It is to the point where she is upsetting the other kids and nap time is not going as planned... I know that she is very spoiled at home and she probably gets her way there like not taking naps if she doesn't want to, but thats just not going to happen here. I tell her mom and dad are at work and they cannot come to pick you up right now but they will be here later. What else can I do??
cheerfuldom 01:57 PM 08-09-2011
Can she nap in a separate room? Just put her down and let her cry? Have you tried a "cry corner" or place where she has to go if she is crying? I wouldn't do calls to mom and such, that just seems like you are accidentally feeding into her drama. The other kids don't get daily calls, why should she? I guess I am more into tough love....you know she is fine so I would just completely ignore the behavior, don't let it change your routine and if she can't fit in, send her on to a place where she is happy.
Cat Herder 01:59 PM 08-09-2011
Is this a 3 year old?
JaydensMommy 02:05 PM 08-09-2011
Sorry, I forgot to put her age, she is 4 years old. I know I shouldn't call mom but when she is starting to upset the other kids, I don't know what else to do. I guess I could try having her sleep in the living room but it is connected and if she is crying we would still hear her.
grandmom 04:07 PM 08-09-2011
Have a conference with the parents. Either you all will be on the same page and let this girl cry it out, or she needs to go somewhere else.

Personally, I think this is emotional blackmail on the child's part. Of course talking to mom didn't work. It never does. It just encourages the child to cry. Well, gee, she's thinking, if I cry long enough today maybe mom or dad will come get me.

Nip it in the bud. If you want the girl, get the parents to agree, no calls, no pick-ups. If you can replace her, consider it.

She's 4? For pete's sake. She's going to kindergarten soon.
JaydensMommy 04:37 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Have a conference with the parents. Either you all will be on the same page and let this girl cry it out, or she needs to go somewhere else.

Personally, I think this is emotional blackmail on the child's part. Of course talking to mom didn't work. It never does. It just encourages the child to cry. Well, gee, she's thinking, if I cry long enough today maybe mom or dad will come get me.

Nip it in the bud. If you want the girl, get the parents to agree, no calls, no pick-ups. If you can replace her, consider it.

She's 4? For pete's sake. She's going to kindergarten soon.
I know that it is blackmail by the the girl. I know she thinks someone will come to get her if she cries long enough. I am trying to avoid giving her any special privaledges becuase of the crying. I am no longer going to allow phone calls. Mom is a softy and she tells me to give her "kisses and hugs" I feel like that would be rewarding the behavior.
She will be starting preschool next month, only for three hours though. And as soon as I find a full time child I will be replacing her since she is only here three full days each week. And yes mom knows. Good Luck to her next child care provider.
Sugar Magnolia 05:06 PM 08-09-2011
How long has she been with you? This has been going on more than 2-3 weeks, beyond the traditional adjustment period?
Tags:crying - every day, crying during naptime, probation, tantrums, terminate - screaming
Reply Up