Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I am supposed to use a temporal thermometer as children arrive ( I will take current/previous emergency personnel only) , I only have an ear one . So I checked Amazon as there are none of any kind in stores . It was $39 yesterday but it said that it couldn't be shipped to me . Today I checked and the same one is $80 .
I also have an ear thermometer and recently ordered a temporal one.
I did pay $90 for it but that was the price when I ordered and other ones listed were similarly priced so I guess I just thought that was a normal price for it.

My issue is that it was suppose to arrive on March 13.
I keep getting updates saying it's been delayed.
This morning tracking info shows it's FINALLY made it to my state although it's still 4 hours away from me.

Predicted arrival date is sometime this week.
Annalee 07:49 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also have an ear thermometer and recently ordered a temporal one.
I did pay $90 for it but that was the price when I ordered and other ones listed were similarly priced so I guess I just thought that was a normal price for it.

My issue is that it was suppose to arrive on March 13.
I keep getting updates saying it's been delayed.
This morning tracking info shows it's FINALLY made it to my state although it's still 4 hours away from me.

Predicted arrival date is sometime this week.
I got a cheap head thermometer from Walmart but every order I have placed on walmart.com has cancelled the next day after ordering. The trucks aren't running is what I've been told???? I had ordered a few Graduation invitations for my son to view before ordering 100. But when I went back to reorder I was told they would not be able to be delivered

So I had to go through walmart in the store and I am not near satisfied
Unregistered 08:31 AM 03-30-2020
We sent parents letter saying since only essential businesses are open and you should travel only for essential, we ask you if you work from home to keep your child home because we will be open only for children of parents who work essential businesses and both have to travel to work.
Dcm comes in the morning with her child and we know she works from home and did not expect her , then we ask her if she works from home still and she says yes and we tell her the letter said to keep your child home. She leaves pissed off. Few minutes later call from her that she asked her boss if she can go to work because her child cannot stay at daycare if she works from home and boss said yes and then she brings her kid back. She works at a bank. And who knows maybe she lied to us and is sitting home right now.
So yes bring you children to dc during the plague when you stay safe home, just because you cannot stand him
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We sent parents letter saying since only essential businesses are open and you should travel only for essential, we ask you if you work from home to keep your child home because we will be open only for children of parents who work essential businesses and both have to travel to work.
Dcm comes in the morning with her child and we know she works from home and did not expect her , then we ask her if she works from home still and she says yes and we tell her the letter said to keep your child home. She leaves pissed off. Few minutes later call from her that she asked her boss if she can go to work because her child cannot stay at daycare if she works from home and boss said yes and then she brings her kid back. She works at a bank. And who knows maybe she lied to us and is sitting home right now.
So yes bring you children to dc during the plague when you stay safe home, just because you cannot stand him
I see this parent's point of view.
Its difficult to work at home with young children.
Especially when a parent working from home is new for the child.

I have a few parents that bring their children to care and are working from home. They are essential workers so I must accept them into care regardless of what physical space they are working from. IMHO, the risk is the same.
Actually it's probably less as the parent is at home verses in "public" work space like those that can't do their jobs from home.
Annalee 10:50 AM 03-30-2020

I have a few parents that bring their children to care and are working from home. They are essential workers so I must accept them into care regardless of what physical space they are working from. IMHO, the risk is the same.
Actually it's probably less as the parent is at home verses in "public" work space like those that can't do their jobs from home.
I have a professor of nursing parent and she brings her kids Tuesday and Thursday since the college closed and she now has to meet online with lecture with her students. She tried it with her sons home and she said that was disastrous
daycarediva 09:43 AM 04-02-2020

Agreed. We actually did the opposite. Parents practicing social distancing and working from home were encouraged to stay in attendance. Those NOT practicing social distancing and on the 'front lines/high risk' for covid we asked to find alternate care/stay home. All have a parent working from home/laid off. One of our parents is an ER nurse in a large hospital. No thanks.
AmyKidsCo 01:35 PM 04-07-2020
I forgot how hard 2 babies are! Both need to be changed every 2 hours. One eats every 3 hours, the other every 4 hours. Neither one sleeps more than 25-30 min at a time, and never at the same time. They literally tag-team naps, just as I get one down the other wakes up. I had exactly 7 minutes when everyone was sleeping today. I know it's going to get better, but right now is really hard on top of all the other stress.
CenterTeacher20 02:17 PM 04-07-2020
First scare currently happening- a DCG (18 most) dad's coworker tested positive, so dad had to get tested yesterday evening in one of the drive-thru testing places. So she's currently excluded until the result comes back. I hope its negative
Ariana 06:14 PM 04-08-2020

It is hard to work from home with your kid but I think most employers understand that and are making concessions for their employees because most of them are at home with their kids and it’s not their choice. I think some parents just don’t want to take care of their kids!
Ariana 06:15 PM 04-08-2020
Constant text mom is STILL sending me texts! Every day its a new picture of her kid doing regular kid things that I DO NOT CARE ABOUT. It is so annoying. She is like a thorn in my side. I respond every few days and thats it.
Josiegirl 03:05 AM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Constant text mom is STILL sending me texts! Every day its a new picture of her kid doing regular kid things that I DO NOT CARE ABOUT. It is so annoying. She is like a thorn in my side. I respond every few days and thats it.
That's pretty funny, from this end of it anyways.
So Ariana, if and when you ever decide to reopen your dc again, will you take this dcm back? This woman must believe you guys are besties forever or she has no life/friends of her own.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh because I know how irritating it must be for you.
Maybe you should tell her 'haven't you heard?? They've upgraded social distancing to virtual distancing and you want to protect your (mental)health.'
Ariana 05:58 AM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's pretty funny, from this end of it anyways.
So Ariana, if and when you ever decide to reopen your dc again, will you take this dcm back? This woman must believe you guys are besties forever or she has no life/friends of her own.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh because I know how irritating it must be for you.
Maybe you should tell her 'haven't you heard?? They've upgraded social distancing to virtual distancing and you want to protect your (mental)health.'
I would love too!! I respond with 1-2 words every few days and she still does not get it!

The other day she texts me complaining that they might be cutting down on her husbands hours at work. Ummmm do you not know that I have lost my ENTIRE pay check? So insensitive! I wrote back “well at least you are saving a lot in daycare costs to more than make up for it, I am making nothing”. That was kind of the last straw for me. I really want to close for good.
AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 04-09-2020
I would love too!! I respond with 1-2 words every few days and she still does not get it!

The other day she texts me complaining that they might be cutting down on her husbands hours at work. Ummmm do you not know that I have lost my ENTIRE pay check? So insensitive! I wrote back “well at least you are saving a lot in daycare costs to more than make up for it, I am making nothing”. That was kind of the last straw for me. I really want to close for good.
Can't you block her?
Ariana 04:02 PM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Can't you block her?
I could but I feel bad about doing that since she is a client of mine
Cat Herder 04:19 PM 04-09-2020
You could tell her that you have gone down to the basic cell phone plan due to no income and need her to limit unnecessary texts and send no data.

I keep my business cell on the cheapest plan possible and turn it off at closing each night. Bliss. $35 straight talk.
Josiegirl 04:35 AM 04-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You could tell her that you have gone down to the basic cell phone plan due to no income and need her to limit unnecessary texts and send no data.

I keep my business cell on the cheapest plan possible and turn it off at closing each night. Bliss. $35 straight talk.
Perfect solution! You're so smart Ch.
Cat Herder 05:09 AM 04-10-2020
Perfect solution! You're so smart Ch.
I wish it was about intelligence. But, alas, no. It is about tolerating things until I almost burst then finding a solution out of necessity over the years.

Luckily, I have access to this forum to learn from others, now, too.
Ariana 10:41 AM 04-19-2020
Can't you block her?
Finally blocked her!

She sent me a text of the new outdoor trampoline and the new bike trailer they bought for the kid....you know while I am out of a job and a pay-check. The insensitivity knows no bounds!

Love the suggestion CH! Will use it when I reopen for sure but my long term plan is to term her ASAP. I can’t keep dealing with her bullshit. Best thing about this pandemic is that I learned we do not need my paycheck which means I have WAY more power than I thought
MomBoss 01:01 PM 04-19-2020
Not DC related but...
Omg, first It was the wind chimes, now my neighbor built a waterfall. Now i have to listen to running water 24/7. Both these sounds are so irritating to me and cause me severe anxiety attacks, where i feel like i need to fall over. Long story.

Time to blast the inappropriate rap music.
Unregistered 07:47 AM 04-20-2020
I just love Monday mornings when a parent comes in and declares they started potty training and hands me a handful of pull-ups.

Says she wore underwear and never wet them all weekend. Yes the child holds it for a long time but is not verbal and does not say when she needs to go.

Mom also said she is going to sign chil up for free preschool in the fall.

I'm not potty training just so she can go to preschool. Nice try dcm!
Ariana 12:52 PM 04-20-2020
Parent on one of my FB mom groups continuously complaining about having to pay her provider because her grocery bill has doubled. Asks people for proof from the government that she does not have to pay her daycare provider.

Same person posts about “wanting to support local, looking for an electrician to hook up my hot tub”, posts about how amazing teachers are and all of the places she is using for take out to again “support local”

The irony is painful.
Josiegirl 04:49 PM 04-20-2020
I have no words Ariana.
Why do providers receive such disrespect and little regard in some cases?
It must be painful. I am sorry.
BumbleBee 06:03 PM 04-20-2020
Our local school system is not known for its ability to be organized. We've all been waiting for the school system to get distance learning going. Mostly wondering how messed up it's going to be.

They rolled it out today. We way over estimated their abilities. It's a mess.

Elementary school:

Teachers were told, last week, that learning packets would be mailed to each student. So teachers told parents learning packets would be mailed to each student.

11pm last night the elementary school posted on FB that packets needed to be picked up today between 11 & 12.

1pm today the elementary school posted on FB that packets weren't ready at 11 so now pick up is 2-3pm.

2:30pm today the elementary school posted on FB that packets aren't available today and need to be picked up Thursday...but they're not sure what time yet.

The middle and high school is even worse. My middle/high school teacher parents are ranting up a storm right now. Currently they're being told they have to grade the work, despite 60% of students not having internet access here, and there is no plan for collection of work. They're being told they have to speak with each of their students for a minimum of 20 minutes per week. Some of these teachers have upwards of 100 students a week. Not to mention that's 7 phone calls each student will recieve (1 call per teacher) per week.

The school put out a daily schedule, with no explanation, to the parents. It basically came across as your child must be logged in at x time to be counted for attendance. No exceptions. Except that whole internet access issue. Didn't bother telling the teachers about it. So they got inundated with angry parent emails.

So, this should be interesting to see how this turns out.
284878 04:38 AM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Our local school system is not known for its ability to be organized. We've all been waiting for the school system to get distance learning going. Mostly wondering how messed up it's going to be.

They rolled it out today. We way over estimated their abilities. It's a mess.

Elementary school:

Teachers were told, last week, that learning packets would be mailed to each student. So teachers told parents learning packets would be mailed to each student.

11pm last night the elementary school posted on FB that packets needed to be picked up today between 11 & 12.

1pm today the elementary school posted on FB that packets weren't ready at 11 so now pick up is 2-3pm.

2:30pm today the elementary school posted on FB that packets aren't available today and need to be picked up Thursday...but they're not sure what time yet.

The middle and high school is even worse. My middle/high school teacher parents are ranting up a storm right now. Currently they're being told they have to grade the work, despite 60% of students not having internet access here, and there is no plan for collection of work. They're being told they have to speak with each of their students for a minimum of 20 minutes per week. Some of these teachers have upwards of 100 students a week. Not to mention that's 7 phone calls each student will recieve (1 call per teacher) per week.

The school put out a daily schedule, with no explanation, to the parents. It basically came across as your child must be logged in at x time to be counted for attendance. No exceptions. Except that whole internet access issue. Didn't bother telling the teachers about it. So they got inundated with angry parent emails.

So, this should be interesting to see how this turns out.
Sorry that you are dealing with this, our school is on top of things at least for elementary, the school said we would get packets if we had no internet the everyone got a packet in the mail. They had breakfast and lunches bagged and passed out twice a week since the first week. My DD teacher has Google classroom set up with her extra assignment. The even have a Free site for pe, music and art assignment.
We are trying to get a good balance going to get everything done during naptime.
Anyways
Did you hear, Comcast and other internet providers are offering free internet for about two months to help with school assignments. Maybe you could help get the word out so families with out internet can have access.
Ariana 05:14 PM 04-21-2020
I have no words Ariana.
Why do providers receive such disrespect and little regard in some cases?
It must be painful. I am sorry.
It is. I really feel like this pandemic has shown me parents true colours. I also feel angry that some providers who are not getting paid continue to do zoom story time and learning activities with their daycare kids. Then if I don’t choose to do it because I VALUE my time, I am the one who is a crappy provider. I don’t know any other profession who would continue to work for nothing....do you?!

On a side note only one of my families has checked in with me since this started over a month ago...constant text mom, thats it. I find it really weird to not even reach out to see how my family is doing. I made a couple of posts on the daycare page and they simply it and thats it. It is disheartening to say the least. Not sure I want to open again for these families.
BumbleBee 07:24 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
Sorry that you are dealing with this, our school is on top of things at least for elementary, the school said we would get packets if we had no internet the everyone got a packet in the mail. They had breakfast and lunches bagged and passed out twice a week since the first week. My DD teacher has Google classroom set up with her extra assignment. The even have a Free site for pe, music and art assignment.
We are trying to get a good balance going to get everything done during naptime.
Anyways
Did you hear, Comcast and other internet providers are offering free internet for about two months to help with school assignments. Maybe you could help get the word out so families with out internet can have access.
I haven't looked into the free internet thing much though I have heard some companies are offering it. Thank you, I will look into it further.

It's just the frustration of the whole thing with the school. They've been awesome about supplying meals. The "joke" around here right now is the food service director should be managing the distance learning, because he has food service running like a well oiled machine.

I hope they get it figured out asap but based on how they've managed other district wide situations, many of us are not optimistic. Questions are not being answered, suggestions are being ignored, we just keep being told to be patient and give it a chance.
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 04-23-2020
I can't stand it when a child doesn't like something and starts crying "Mommy, Mommy, Daddy, Daddy!" Seriously - I only told you to go wash your hands!
CenterTeacher20 08:24 PM 04-23-2020
I can't stand it when a child doesn't like something and starts crying "Mommy, Mommy, Daddy, Daddy!" Seriously - I only told you to go wash your hands!
This is mine and my mom's (she owns the center that I direct) biggest pet peeve too!!! Outside of business hours, whenever we are at each others' places and one of us asks the other person to help with something we both go "Mommy daddy mommy daddy!!!!" sarcastically and then laugh hysterically and then oblige, lol. It's the worst when a kid does it seriously though, ha.
Msdunny 07:02 AM 04-24-2020
I had a mom facetime call me yesterday because her 2 year old wouldn't get dressed and she wanted me to tell her to put her clothes on. Really?!?! I did talk to her and she was dressed by the end of the call, so I guess mom got what she wanted...
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I had a mom facetime call me yesterday because her 2 year old wouldn't get dressed and she wanted me to tell her to put her clothes on. Really?!?! I did talk to her and she was dressed by the end of the call, so I guess mom got what she wanted...
$5 for the first minute.
$1 for each additional 5 minutes
any advice given is a flat fee of $10
when spoken directly to the child in question it's $20.
getnsmart 11:58 AM 04-24-2020
I would simply not reply. Umm, you do have other things to do. I don' t ever make my parents think that I am so involved in their lives. Once they are out of sight, they are out of mind. Now, I answer text if it is important.
Snowmom 12:10 PM 04-24-2020
I really hate that I keep learning new things I need to put into my contract. Always by a "lesson learned" experience with jerky clients.

On a related note: I never thought I'd have to term someone while in a pandemic.

Msdunny 12:40 PM 04-27-2020
$5 for the first minute.
$1 for each additional 5 minutes
any advice given is a flat fee of $10
when spoken directly to the child in question it's $20.
See?! This is why I come here - I just keep learning!
Unregistered 07:38 AM 05-06-2020
How was your weekend? "it was great! we went to the park & dog park. And little snowflake made a new friend too!"
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 05-06-2020
How was your weekend? "it was great! we went to the park & dog park. And little snowflake made a new friend too!"
Oh, that sounds like fun. See you back in two weeks.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 05-06-2020
Oh, that sounds like fun. See you back in two weeks.
This is from the honest family. Others probably aren't telling us
But who cares right?, its not like what we do affects others!
AmyKidsCo 01:18 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I really hate that I keep learning new things I need to put into my contract. Always by a "lesson learned" experience with jerky clients.

On a related note: I never thought I'd have to term someone while in a pandemic.
And THIS is why my parent handbook is 58 pages long! (Also because it's divided into sections and each section starts on a new page, but still...)
CenterTeacher20 10:18 AM 05-07-2020
My mind is just not in it this week. I'm sick of distance-learning and school agers.

Two more weeks of this.
Former Teacher 07:29 AM 05-08-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
My mind is just not in it this week. I'm sick of distance-learning and school agers.

Two more weeks of this.
You and me both!

I am a nanny to twin 8 year olds. They are in 2nd grade.

When this all went down, the school said that at most you are looking 2-3 hours TOPS. That was a bunch of BS. We would start at 9 (if not earlier) and if we were lucky be done by 4:30!!! That's only with a 3-30 min breaks! And these are 2nd graders!!

Thankfully enough people complained and finally they lessened within the past few weeks but still. It was/is stressful.

I am in countdown as well!!
littlefriends 01:19 PM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I never, ever, NEVER answer phone calls from families outside of daycare hours. If they leave a message that sounds like I truly need to answer I might call back but even then I usually would text the answer. No way in hecccc am I getting stuck on the phone on my downtime with a daycare parent!!
CountryRoads 06:23 AM 05-12-2020
Was refreshed after having several weeks off. Was looking forward to getting back to work!

First day open and I had a few complaints and comments.

Was really hoping after not having care for almost 2 months, my families would appreciate me a little more. Yeah right!

Parents. AAGGHH!
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Was refreshed after having several weeks off. Was looking forward to getting back to work!

First day open and I had a few complaints and comments.

Was really hoping after not having care for almost 2 months, my families would appreciate me a little more. Yeah right!

Parents. AAGGHH!
people are so self-centered.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
I never, ever, NEVER answer phone calls from families outside of daycare hours. If they leave a message that sounds like I truly need to answer I might call back but even then I usually would text the answer. No way in hecccc am I getting stuck on the phone on my downtime with a daycare parent!!
Agreed! I figure that KinderCare isn't answering the phones during off hours, and parents don't have staff members' numbers to contact them at home, so in this one way I'm going to do what KinderCare does.
CountryRoads 08:00 AM 05-14-2020
Can rompers be banned at daycare, please?!
CenterTeacher20 08:48 AM 05-14-2020
AND overalls?!
littlefriends 08:05 AM 05-15-2020
I have that exact thing in my contract! Kiddos need to be dressed in clothes that support independent pottying habits.
Cat Herder 09:52 AM 05-15-2020
I just change them into play clothes and change them back during the last diaper change. After seeing their kids in spare clothing all the time in photos, they finally catch on.

I can't let them mess with my day and I am tired of policing adults.
CountryRoads 10:24 AM 05-15-2020
I just change them into play clothes and change them back during the last diaper change. After seeing their kids in spare clothing all the time in photos, they finally catch on.

I can't let them mess with my day and I am tired of policing adults.
That's a good idea!

Dcm knows it's inconvenient, too! She told me as she dropped off, "sorry, I know these aren't practical for potty time."

Thanks for sending her in them anyway
Unregistered 12:09 PM 05-18-2020
Theee day weekend coming up and I actually had someone ask if we will be closed Monday! Yes it's a holiday we are closed. Try reading your parent handbook it's in there so you won't have to ask me. 😑
CountryRoads 10:12 AM 05-19-2020
Why do parents do this at drop-off?

"Miss X will get you a blanket."

"Just ask Miss X and she'll go get you a stuffed animal."

"You're gonna go outside in just a few minutes." (Not true)

"I bet if you ask, Miss X will get out the train set for you."

"Don't worry, I bet Miss X will hold you."

No, I will not be doing any of these things! I know they only do it when their child is being difficult at drop-off, but still!
Drives me bonkers!!
littlefriends 10:41 AM 05-19-2020

No, I will not be doing any of these things! I know they only do it when their child is being difficult at drop-off, but still!
Drives me bonkers!!
Yes!!! So annoying! Just wanting to make it easiest for themselves so they can get out of there without a fuss from kiddo. I had one that was coming alone for a bit during the stay at home and his dad every time at dropping off time "OOOO Petey, You get Miss X all to yourself again today!! You could ask her to do anything you want! What do you want Miss X to do with you today?"
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 05-19-2020
You guys are more patient than me. "Karen, please stop coaching him to ask for things he already knows he can't have. You are making us both uncomfortable and taking up valuable time. We have a routine here. If you want him to play with the train set, you can let him play with his own at home after daycare."
Josiegirl 03:58 PM 05-19-2020

Drives me bonkers!!
Hey, Sweetums, I bet Momma will stop at McDonald's on the way home!
Hey, honeybunches, just ask mommy to stop at the park when you leave dc today!

You get the idea.....
littlefriends 06:53 AM 05-20-2020
Hey, Sweetums, I bet Momma will stop at McDonald's on the way home!
Hey, honeybunches, just ask mommy to stop at the park when you leave dc today!

You get the idea.....
OH. MY. GOD. Yes!!!!
Former Teacher 08:03 AM 05-20-2020
You guys are more patient than me. "Karen, please stop coaching him to ask for things he already knows he can't have. You are making us both uncomfortable and taking up valuable time. We have a routine here. If you want him to play with the train set, you can let him play with his own at home after daycare."
Exactly! I once had a preschooler (!!!) who was always difficult when he was dropped off. Thankfully we were outside usually at that time so it was easy. One time, she was late dropping him off and we were in the classroom. So (my assistant was in the room) he started running down the hall chasing her as she was walking away. I ran and grabbed him and she told him goodbye again. I started walking away and he was crying holding out his arms. I was telling him the fun stuff we had planned etc.

She was FOLLOWING ME!!! Then she was telling him to be a good boy etc. I was LIVID!

The next day, again we were in the classroom..she said "it's okay Snowflake...Ms X will hold you (he's a freaking PRESCHOOLER!!!) while Mommy goes to work". NOT AGAIN! I said right to her face "No I am sorry I can't. It will just upset him more once he knows you will follow him. Please just say all your goodbyes now. Snowflake, when Mommy leaves for work, please come and join me and Snowflake 2 (his BFF) at the cars and we can build a ramp for jumpoffs." Then I walked away. He followed me immediately. She didn't do that BS again
CountryRoads 04:18 PM 05-21-2020
I hate having only one child in care! That's the case for me tomorrow. I told dcm that dck would be the only one here tomorrow hoping she would take my hint.

Told me that dck could stay home since the other siblings are home, but nope. Still sending dck. Now I'm bummed knowing that dck COULD stay home, but she'll be here anyway. I COULD have had a paid day off with my kids.

*sigh*

It was worth a shot
LovelyK 09:18 AM 05-22-2020
I have the annoying parent who calls everyday during lunch time to "check in". She asks the same questions every single day yall I voiced how i felt multiple times it's always an excuse to keep calling I gave the option to call later during the day which was great for 1 week then started calling earlier and earlier. I told her I will stop answering and she said naw dont do that. Now she want to talk to the kid I'm so over it !!
Cat Herder 09:20 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by LovelyK:
I have the annoying parent who calls everyday during lunch time to "check in". She asks the same questions every single day yall I voiced how i felt multiple times it's always an excuse to keep calling I gave the option to call later during the day which was great for 1 week then started calling earlier and earlier. I told her I will stop answering and she said naw dont do that. Now she want to talk to the kid I'm so over it !!
Next
littlefriends 09:44 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by LovelyK:
Tell her you just don't have time for that and then stop answering. Say it nicely (or text it if you have trouble saying things like that face to face) but once it's said then stick to it. She will either eventually quit trying or find another daycare. If she wants that kind of special she needs a nanny anyway.
AmyKidsCo 01:26 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
Tell her you just don't have time for that and then stop answering. Say it nicely (or text it if you have trouble saying things like that face to face) but once it's said then stick to it. She will either eventually quit trying or find another daycare. If she wants that kind of special she needs a nanny anyway.
Real suggestion: Don't answer. Text her later to say "Sorry I didn't answer but I was changing a diaper." Next time, "...feeding the baby." Then "...dishing up lunch." "Reading story." Eventually she'll get the hint.

Friday afternoon suggestion: When she calls have one of the older ones let out a bloodcurdling scream and yell "Oh my God!" then hang up. Don't answer the rest of the day.
CenterTeacher20 07:11 AM 05-26-2020
Is anyone else just incapable of waking up today? I've been awake since 6am, working since 7:30 and its now 9:10 and I am seriously having a hard time energizing. Coffee isn't even working
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 05-26-2020
Is anyone else just incapable of waking up today? I've been awake since 6am, working since 7:30 and its now 9:10 and I am seriously having a hard time energizing. Coffee isn't even working
Same. I have not seen the sun in seven day. Still raining and dark. Blah.

The DCK's are all in a mood. Three day weekend brings out the drama in them.
CenterTeacher20 08:07 AM 05-26-2020
Same. I have not seen the sun in seven day. Still raining and dark. Blah.

The DCK's are all in a mood. Three day weekend brings out the drama in them.
Same here, the two days the sun was out this past week, it'd been so sticky icky humid.

I've slightly woken up, but only because one of our DCM's brought us donuts. Little sugar to start the day.
Cat Herder 08:13 AM 05-26-2020
Same here, the two days the sun was out this past week, it'd been so sticky icky humid.

I've slightly woken up, but only because one of our DCM's brought us donuts. Little sugar to start the day.
Nice. We just received a shipment of new books. I tossed out the pillows, blankets and magnifying glasses. Silence for the win.
CountryRoads 03:52 PM 05-27-2020
I hate when I'm told a dck won't be here tomorrow only to be told at pick-up, "What time do you open? I might bring her."

Not a big deal, but I was looking forward to an easier day without my most difficult child. Never fails.
Cat Herder 05:31 AM 05-28-2020
I hate when I'm told a dck won't be here tomorrow only to be told at pick-up, "What time do you open? I might bring her."

Not a big deal, but I was looking forward to an easier day without my most difficult child. Never fails.
Same.

Mine showed up without warning 3 minutes before cut-off begging for breakfast that ended an hour previously. Parents pulling a bass boat behind their truck with DCM wearing flip-flops and bathing suit cover.
CountryRoads 06:12 AM 06-03-2020
"Dcb hasn't pooped since Friday, so I put Miralax in his water bottle this morning."

I don't think so, dcm. Down the sink it went.
Unregistered 05:04 AM 06-08-2020
Parents who bring their baby in needing fed and a diaper change right off the bat every day. I wish my center had a policy on that.
Snowmom 01:48 PM 06-08-2020
Parents who bring their baby in needing fed and a diaper change right off the bat every day. I wish my center had a policy on that.
Have a changing pad, diapers and wipes right next to the entrance tomorrow (and for about a week).
The child comes in needing a change, they do it right then and there.

But yes, your center DOES need a policy on that. Most do
springv 01:49 PM 06-08-2020
WHY would you do that????? @countryroads
CountryRoads 01:58 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
This child comes 1 day a week - dcm can give him the Miralax at home! Not sure why I should have to deal with the massive blowout!?
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 06-08-2020
Are you asking why would the provider (Country Roads) dump it or why would the parent do that?
CountryRoads 02:35 PM 06-08-2020
Are you asking why would the provider (Country Roads) dump it or why would the parent do that?
That was my thought, too. I took it as her asking me why I dumped it...I should have clarified before I answered!
284878 05:20 AM 06-09-2020
This child comes 1 day a week - dcm can give him the Miralax at home! Not sure why I should have to deal with the massive blowout!?
Miralax does not cause blow outs, at least not with me or my kids, it is meant to soften the stool so it can exit but it is still firm when it does. But on the other hand, I have a no otc meds allowed in daycare. So I didn't think you were wrong for dumping.

In the end, you either give the child the Miralax/ or tons of fiber so they can poop or you deal with a cranky child in discomfort all day. Your choice.
CountryRoads 05:45 AM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
Miralax does not cause blow outs, at least not with me or my kids, it is meant to soften the stool so it can exit but it is still firm when it does. But on the other hand, I have a no otc meds allowed in daycare. So I didn't think you were wrong for dumping.

In the end, you either give the child the Miralax/ or tons of fiber so they can poop or you deal with a cranky child in discomfort all day. Your choice.
The child was not cranky or in discomfort at all. If he was, I would have considered letting him drink it.

But, good to know that it may not cause blowouts. However, I still don't think it was appropriate to send him to daycare with it Dcm had several days where she could have given it to him at home, but gave it to him the one day he comes to daycare.
Cat Herder 05:52 AM 06-09-2020
The child was not cranky or in discomfort at all. If he was, I would have considered letting him drink it.

But, good to know that it may not cause blowouts. However, I still don't think it was appropriate to send him to daycare with it Dcm had several days where she could have given it to him at home, but gave it to him the one day he comes to daycare.
I require my Miralax families to take it at night, not before drop-off. I promise not to serve stewed prunes and hot chocolate at afternoon snack. It goes both ways. It does cause some cramping in some kids and also makes them feel full for a bit making them less likely to eat well during the morning. I add it to my shakes to keep me fuller between meals.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 06-09-2020
I don't allow parents to send bottles with anything in them.

Infant bottles are left here, washed and filled myself with either dry formula that I mix myself or with breast milk stored here frozen.

Old kids have a water bottle that stays here. I wash and fill as needed.

NO food or drink (including water) from home is allowed.

If a parent sent their child with anything in a bottle (water bottle or infant bottle) it would be sent right back to the car with the parent.
CeriBear 06:12 AM 06-09-2020
Two words: Bossy introverts.
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
Two words: Bossy introverts.
Who?

I am thinking "Group Care", "Unrealistic Expectations" and "Parental Responsibility".
Snowmom 06:47 AM 06-09-2020
I truly don't get the Miralax trend.
Someone explain this to me, since it's so common these days.

Why not just try to correct the issue naturally, with diet?
springv 09:32 AM 06-09-2020
I don't allow parents to send bottles with anything in them.

Infant bottles are left here, washed and filled myself with either dry formula that I mix myself or with breast milk stored here frozen.

Old kids have a water bottle that stays here. I wash and fill as needed.

NO food or drink (including water) from home is allowed.

If a parent sent their child with anything in a bottle (water bottle or infant bottle) it would be sent right back to the car with the parent.
Minimum standards here in Alabama doesn't allow us to do this because there was a child that got very sick because a provider put too much formula and not enough water in a bottle and the parents are now required to mix the bottles themselves and to make ever how many for the day that the child requires.
Cat Herder 10:34 AM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I truly don't get the Miralax trend.
Someone explain this to me, since it's so common these days.

Why not just try to correct the issue naturally, with diet?
Me, either. I have never given it to my children. I take Benefiber (not Miralax, I was incorrect) to help me with issues relating to peri-menopause . According to a quick search, Miralax can dehydrate small children if you are not careful.

"Miralax is not a fiber-based supplement. The active ingredient is polyethylene glycol, which pulls water into the stool to help relieve constipation. As it is not a fiber supplement, Miralax does not offer the same additional potential benefits as other brands."
Blackcat31 05:45 PM 06-09-2020
Minimum standards here in Alabama doesn't allow us to do this because there was a child that got very sick because a provider put too much formula and not enough water in a bottle and the parents are now required to mix the bottles themselves and to make ever how many for the day that the child requires.
How does that work when child care is required to provide formula per food program rules?
Former Teacher 06:42 PM 06-09-2020
At my former center (at the time), it didn't matter if we made it or the parents.

We once had a father who came in and was a Chatty Cathy to everyone esp me

Anyway one day he was talking and talking. He made the comment that when his son was younger (he was still on a bottle LOL) that the previous daycare wouldn't give the son Tylenol for teething so he had to pick up the boy because he would run a fever.

He said "Then I got smart! I would put the Tylenol in the BOTTLE!!!! They never called me after that!" I said "Umm isn't that umm kinda dangerous?" He said "why would it be dangerous? He was happy, they were happy and I was happy!"

Needless to say, whenever he came in with a bottle, it was immediately dumped.
Unregistered 04:51 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
At my former center (at the time), it didn't matter if we made it or the parents.

We once had a father who came in and was a Chatty Cathy to everyone esp me

Anyway one day he was talking and talking. He made the comment that when his son was younger (he was still on a bottle LOL) that the previous daycare wouldn't give the son Tylenol for teething so he had to pick up the boy because he would run a fever.

He said "Then I got smart! I would put the Tylenol in the BOTTLE!!!! They never called me after that!" I said "Umm isn't that umm kinda dangerous?" He said "why would it be dangerous? He was happy, they were happy and I was happy!"

Needless to say, whenever he came in with a bottle, it was immediately dumped.
I would have done the same thing, dump the bottle that is. In my state you have to be certified in order to give medicine. It is surprising how many parents do that and then let you know at the end of the day that they did that.
284878 06:18 AM 06-10-2020

I want to say again that you did the right thing by dumping.

When I gave DD miralax it was at last resort and she was always in discomfort and cranky.
CountryRoads 10:27 AM 06-10-2020
So frustrating when dcps "forget" about my closures. How many times do I need to remind them?!

I always get asked, "what day was it again?" even after sending out 2 reminders and telling them in person.

Had a different dcp forget I was closed one day last week. "Are you closed tomorrow? I just remembered a second ago." Yes, dcm. It was on the summer schedule, the newsletter, the menu, and we discussed it face to face
Unregistered 11:47 AM 06-10-2020
Ugh! My inspector is out of her mind! She sent a letter saying inspections will resume. She will wear a mask but doesn't have gloves so she can't touch our paper work. She needs the providers help by holding up each paper in the kids files and files of anyone living in the home. Ummm no way would that work I have nine kids to keep an eye on. If you can't do inspections as you normally would then maybe you shouldn't be doing them during a pandemic.
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 06-10-2020
Ugh! My inspector is out of her mind! She sent a letter saying inspections will resume. She will wear a mask but doesn't have gloves so she can't touch our paper work. She needs the providers help by holding up each paper in the kids files and files of anyone living in the home. Ummm no way would that work I have nine kids to keep an eye on. If you can't do inspections as you normally would then maybe you shouldn't be doing them during a pandemic.
My licensor basically sent the same notice. I don't see an issue with it and I have 12 kids by myself. (all under under age 6)

I sit at the table with my licensor and talk with her without interruptions from any of the kids, aside from minor things.

Having "visitors" in child care is a great way for the kids to learn about being polite and respectful when adults are talking.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 06-10-2020
So frustrating when dcps "forget" about my closures. How many times do I need to remind them?!

I always get asked, "what day was it again?" even after sending out 2 reminders and telling them in person.

Had a different dcp forget I was closed one day last week. "Are you closed tomorrow? I just remembered a second ago." Yes, dcm. It was on the summer schedule, the newsletter, the menu, and we discussed it face to face
You do know this (bolded) is why they forget.

Stop reminding and discussing it so much. I wouldn't bother remembering anything if someone else was so quick to remind me or answer when I ask. Why take the time to track info like that if someone else will simply do it for me?

I send everyone a yearly calendar with closed days highlighted. I also list it in the handbook and seasonal newsletters. etc

When a parent asks I reply "The information is listed in several places. If you are unable to locate any of the printed materials I provided let me know and I can print off another calendar for you. I will add the reprint fee to your weekly invoice."

Providing information they can easily figure out on their own is not a service I provide.
Cat Herder 01:37 PM 06-10-2020
I'd just hand her a box of gloves and a bottle of hand soap when she enters then tell her to adapt. Of course, mine would expect that from me.

I was inspected earlier in the week through a two-step virtual and paperwork submission process. I was dreading it but it ended up being quite painless.
e.j. 02:56 PM 06-10-2020
I'd just hand her a box of gloves and a bottle of hand soap when she enters then tell her to adapt. Of course, mine would expect that from me.
I was thinking along the same lines only I'm stingier and would have handed her one pair of gloves instead of the whole box. lol I wouldn't be too happy about it though. Gloves are still difficult, if not impossible, to find around here. If EEC expects us to figure out how to have enough gloves in supply to use during the day care day, the least they can do is hold their licensors to the same standard if they're going to resume visits.
CountryRoads 06:00 AM 06-17-2020
Passive aggressive comments about my closures.

Ms.Kay 11:30 AM 06-18-2020
Parents who were the first to bail...now wanting to come back....Squawking at their "new rate".......priceless!!!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 06-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
Parents who were the first to bail...now wanting to come back....Squawking at their "new rate".......priceless!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully you are too full to take them back...
Ms.Kay 01:22 PM 06-18-2020
Hopefully you are too full to take them back...
full....with a waiting list!!!😈😈
CeriBear 04:37 AM 06-19-2020
I have a 4 year old who is constantly pushing my buttons with his behavior. Normally I don’t let the children’s actions get to me but this kid is making me go nuts. He can be sweet at times but when something upsets him he acts aggressive either toward himself, another child, or me. Yesterday, he kicked my assistant, slapped at me, kicked a table, and threw a toy at another child. He can’t sit still at circle time or stay focused on any activity other than running on the playground. I can handle kids who are stubborn but his aggressiveness worries me. I’ve spoken to his parents and they say when he reacts like this he is given a time out or a privilege taken away but time outs don’t work for him at school. He won’t sit quietly and he doesn’t seem to learn from them. Nor does taking away a privilege such as being “line leader” or telling him “no block area.”
Josiegirl 10:43 AM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
I have a 4 year old who is constantly pushing my buttons with his behavior. Normally I don’t let the children’s actions get to me but this kid is making me go nuts. He can be sweet at times but when something upsets him he acts aggressive either toward himself, another child, or me. Yesterday, he kicked my assistant, slapped at me, kicked a table, and threw a toy at another child. He can’t sit still at circle time or stay focused on any activity other than running on the playground. I can handle kids who are stubborn but his aggressiveness worries me. I’ve spoken to his parents and they say when he reacts like this he is given a time out or a privilege taken away but time outs don’t work for him at school. He won’t sit quietly and he doesn’t seem to learn from them. Nor does taking away a privilege such as being “line leader” or telling him “no block area.”
IIRC, Blackcat does something like this: Overly praise the others that are following your rules while ignoring his bad behavior(unless he's physical). Then when he chooses to follow the rules, praise him as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong; BC had a much better way of telling it.
CeriBear 04:07 AM 06-20-2020
IIRC, Blackcat does something like this: Overly praise the others that are following your rules while ignoring his bad behavior(unless he's physical). Then when he chooses to follow the rules, praise him as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong; BC had a much better way of telling it.
I do this as well. I’m often commenting and praising the kids who follow the rules rather than getting after those who do little things that are wrong. If a couple of kids are messing around with each other during circle time I might say something like “look how nice and quiet John and Suzie are being. Sitting like big kids, voices off, listening to Ms. Ceri.” Usually everyone else follows suit.
It’s the aggressive behaviors that are hard to deal with. When he gets upset or frustrated he becomes aggressive towards others. I’ve tried telling him that it’s okay to be upset or angry but that he needs to just take some deep breaths and calm down before reacting. Does kicking another child really help even if the other child grabbed his green crayon? How else could he have solved the problem.
CountryRoads 12:54 PM 06-23-2020
Every year, I have families that are gone for several days because they take a vacation.

But as soon as MY family decides to take a vacation, it's annoyed looks, comments, and awkwardness. Like I'm not allowed to have a life outside of daycare because it's an inconvenience to them.

Like it's somehow my fault that they don't have back-up care.

Why is it a double standard?
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60  ... Last
Reply Up