Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PNPS Tip Over
EchoMom 03:53 AM 02-06-2015
Does anyone else use mini PNPS? When I first began I used full size PNPS but they took up a pointer room and I noticed the babies/toddlers didn't use all the space anyway so I switched to minis and loved it.

But I have a serious problem all the toddlers shake them and bang the PNP against the walls and can tip them over to escape during nap time.

Anyone else have a problem with minis? Anyone ever have a toddler tip over a regular size PNP?

Also anyone else have toddlers that chronically pull up their PNP floor? All my toddlers have done it when they get to a certain age.
By toddler I'm talking 10 months- 20 months.

Finally, I'm going through to many PNPS and its expensive! They look horrible from all the winter snot and drool. There's no way to properly clean them especially after a vomit I have to throw it away. You can't get the floor really wet or it molds and warps. Have you ever cut one open to look inside? ! Molds easily!

I would like a cleaner, secure, place for the under 2s to nap and dont know what else could work to solve all my issues with PNPS.

Floors pull up
Dirty
Tip over
Bang
Expensive to keep replacing
LysesKids 04:32 AM 02-06-2015
Love my travel PnP's. I transition my babes to floor beds just after their first birthday... don't know what else to tell ya; I age kids out between 18-21 months so have no idea about Toddlers destroying the PnP's
racemom 05:13 AM 02-06-2015
The floor on our pack and plays all velcro down so they cannot pull it up. The velcro strap goes under the pac n play and holds the mattress down. We use matress pads on them so that the mattress part stays clean, the rest of it gets cleaned after each use with bleach water or clorox wipes. A couple times a year we take them to the self-serve car wash and hose them down--not the mattress, just the main structure. We have never had a child tip over a full size pnp, but I work in a center and we are always right there to stop them from banging etc. HTH
LysesKids 06:01 AM 02-06-2015
See even in my mini PnP's the mats have velcro so I never had an issue with kids pulling them up; I also have 3 " portable crib mattresses (vinyl, so washable) on top and covered with a fitted sheet for my littles to sleep. Of course I also keep the PnP's next to a wall so it would be hard to tip if they can't get it rocking lol
EchoMom 06:39 AM 02-06-2015
Thank you for the replies. Do I have crazy kids?? All the yOung toddlers I've had/have all pull up the bottom even with the Velcro tabs and end up on the fabric and bars
They all pull off sheets too! And if they are by a wall they bang like crazy and it makes it scoot across the floor. This has been such a long ongoing problem and I'm really at a loss! pulling my hair out.
jenboo 06:53 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Thank you for the replies. Do I have crazy kids?? All the yOung toddlers I've had/have all pull up the bottom even with the Velcro tabs and end up on the fabric and bars
They all pull off sheets too! And if they are by a wall they bang like crazy and it makes it scoot across the floor. This has been such a long ongoing problem and I'm really at a loss! pulling my hair out.
You might need to switch to mini cribs if it's in your budget... Or switch to cots
Leigh 06:59 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
The floor on our pack and plays all velcro down so they cannot pull it up. The velcro strap goes under the pac n play and holds the mattress down. We use matress pads on them so that the mattress part stays clean, the rest of it gets cleaned after each use with bleach water or clorox wipes. A couple times a year we take them to the self-serve car wash and hose them down--not the mattress, just the main structure. We have never had a child tip over a full size pnp, but I work in a center and we are always right there to stop them from banging etc. HTH
What do you use for mattress pads, racemom? I am shopping for some right now. I am not allowed to use those waterproof mattresses in my PNP's...only the hard one that comes with it.

As far as going through so many, I buy a new one for every infant-amazon has them for $39 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). If they are still in good shape after the infant is done, I can sell them or use them outside (I put the babies in a PNP to nap in the shade sometimes when we play outdoors). Replacing the mattress that comes with it costs nearly $30, so I just buy new when necessary.

I agree about cleaning them-it's nearly impossible. I wish they came with a waterproof, stain-resistant cover. I have never used the minis, but I have never had a full-size one tip over.
racemom 07:13 AM 02-06-2015
Toys r us has mattress pads specifically designed for pack and plays. They work great. Other stores may also carry them, but I know we got ours there.
Leigh 07:22 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
Toys r us has mattress pads specifically designed for pack and plays. They work great. Other stores may also carry them, but I know we got ours there.
Thanks! To the OP-sorry for the hijacking!
AuntTami 07:43 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
What do you use for mattress pads, racemom? I am shopping for some right now. I am not allowed to use those waterproof mattresses in my PNP's...only the hard one that comes with it.

As far as going through so many, I buy a new one for every infant-amazon has them for $39 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). If they are still in good shape after the infant is done, I can sell them or use them outside (I put the babies in a PNP to nap in the shade sometimes when we play outdoors). Replacing the mattress that comes with it costs nearly $30, so I just buy new when necessary.

I agree about cleaning them-it's nearly impossible. I wish they came with a waterproof, stain-resistant cover. I have never used the minis, but I have never had a full-size one tip over.
I found something on Pinterest on how to clean them. It takes about a week and warm weather, but I've done it. I soaked them in the tub in vinegar and detergent for 24 hours and then gave them a good rinse for 10-15 minutes and set them outside to dry for 4-5 days. They were "dry" in 1 1/2 but I didn't want any excess moisture left.

The water in my tub literally turned black. It was absolutely disgusting. But after their bath, the water was clear so it must have done something!.....

I haven't used that pack n play because I haven't needed it but now I'm curious about what the inside looks like and if it's moldy at all. Hmmm....

As far as the OP question. My toddlers all do the same things. Bang on the walls, rip up the floor etc but none of them will lay on a nap mat long enough for anyone to fall asleep, so we're still in pack n plays for now. But we have full size ones. If my one guy shakes it hard enough he can get it to rock but it's never tipped over. I have literally no suggestions for you. When I hear them banging, I'll go back in and say "no! It's night night time" and lay them back down and cover them back up. It usually only takes mine 2 or 3 times. Sometimes none. Depends on how tired they are when I lay them down.
jenboo 08:01 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I found something on Pinterest on how to clean them. It takes about a week and warm weather, but I've done it. I soaked them in the tub in vinegar and detergent for 24 hours and then gave them a good rinse for 10-15 minutes and set them outside to dry for 4-5 days. They were "dry" in 1 1/2 but I didn't want any excess moisture left.

The water in my tub literally turned black. It was absolutely disgusting. But after their bath, the water was clear so it must have done something!.....

I haven't used that pack n play because I haven't needed it but now I'm curious about what the inside looks like and if it's moldy at all. Hmmm....

As far as the OP question. My toddlers all do the same things. Bang on the walls, rip up the floor etc but none of them will lay on a nap mat long enough for anyone to fall asleep, so we're still in pack n plays for now. But we have full size ones. If my one guy shakes it hard enough he can get it to rock but it's never tipped over. I have literally no suggestions for you. When I hear them banging, I'll go back in and say "no! It's night night time" and lay them back down and cover them back up. It usually only takes mine 2 or 3 times. Sometimes none. Depends on how tired they are when I lay them down.
When I used a PNP, I cleaned it the same way. It was nasty!
I did it in summer when it was over 100 degrees so it dried quickly.
I think PNP are gross in general... They are hard to clean on a regular basis. I love the metal crib I ordered. I just have to wipe the poles and it's clean!
Annalee 08:13 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Does anyone else use mini PNPS? When I first began I used full size PNPS but they took up a pointer room and I noticed the babies/toddlers didn't use all the space anyway so I switched to minis and loved it.

But I have a serious problem all the toddlers shake them and bang the PNP against the walls and can tip them over to escape during nap time.

Anyone else have a problem with minis? Anyone ever have a toddler tip over a regular size PNP?

Also anyone else have toddlers that chronically pull up their PNP floor? All my toddlers have done it when they get to a certain age.
By toddler I'm talking 10 months- 20 months.

Finally, I'm going through to many PNPS and its expensive! They look horrible from all the winter snot and drool. There's no way to properly clean them especially after a vomit I have to throw it away. You can't get the floor really wet or it molds and warps. Have you ever cut one open to look inside? ! Molds easily!

I would like a cleaner, secure, place for the under 2s to nap and dont know what else could work to solve all my issues with PNPS.

Floors pull up
Dirty
Tip over
Bang
Expensive to keep replacing
I place children on mats to sleep at age 12 months. So far, no turning over the pnp....I have one small pnp and it has never been turned over.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 02-06-2015
Never heard of a mini pnp, can you give a link?
are they less expensive, lighter weight, smaller or what?
thanks.
Unregistered 09:42 AM 02-06-2015
They are smaller but MORE expensive. Check Amazon.
Unregistered 09:43 AM 02-06-2015
A metal crib? Where did you find it?
Unregistered 10:00 AM 02-06-2015
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-St...+stowaway+crib metal crib. Very sturdy. Looks like a baby jail but just find some cute sheets, it helps.
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 02-06-2015
I train the kids from day one to not stand up in the PNP.

Once they display "readiness" to be on a nap mat verses the PNP, I move them.

I have older PNP's because the newer ones are cheap and flimsy in comparison.

My guess is that if the children are shaking the PNP's enough to actually tip the over, they are WAY to big physically to be in that particular one/type/kind.
LysesKids 11:22 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Never heard of a mini pnp, can you give a link?
are they less expensive, lighter weight, smaller or what?
thanks.
Graco makes what is called a travel PnP; 2/3 the size & many come with a bassinet. As was stated they are more expensive, but great if you are tight on space. I found mine on Amazon along with the portable crib mattress I have in mine
jenboo 12:30 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-St...+stowaway+crib metal crib. Very sturdy. Looks like a baby jail but just find some cute sheets, it helps.
thats the one i meant to buy...

accidentally bought this one. it doesnt fold. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Metal-Sup...rds=metal+crib
nanglgrl 01:29 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
thats the one i meant to buy...

accidentally bought this one. it doesnt fold. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Metal-Sup...rds=metal+crib
We get these free from our child care resource and referral, they prefer we don't use pack and plays at all.
Reply Up