Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Drop Your Sick Kid Off At Daycare
melilley 10:03 AM 02-06-2015
Someone posted this on a fb group that I am in. It's totally ridiculous!

http://mom.me/parenting/3916-how-dro...k-kid-daycare/
Josiegirl 10:11 AM 02-06-2015
Wow, sure hope that was supposed to be funny because if not, it's one of the most selfish parents I've ever seen.
Unregistered 10:13 AM 02-06-2015
Its funny because its true.

signed,
karen
from will and grace
Dilley Beans 10:34 AM 02-06-2015
Thank goodness for handbooks and enforcing them. I'm sure this mother loves her children, but she has an odd way of showing it.

1. Never bring your kid to school if she has a fever.
If they look under the weather, I temp test at the door. If they spike a fever at noon and I know you doped and dropped. Whenever you show up after that and it better be within 30 minutes per my handbook, you will be handed an immediate termination slip.

6. Teach her how to say, “I have allergies.” If she’s particularly articulate: “year-round allergies.”
Yes, I caught your child's allergies last time, see you 48 hours after symptoms are gone, per my handbook.

7. If the teacher does call you at work, don’t pick up the phone. Better yet, leave the phone in the car. How can you feel guilty about missing a call if you don’t have your phone with you? Remember: Information is your enemy.
"Here is your termination slip, I was not able to get ahold of you. It could have been an emergency. If she had needed an ER visit, you'd be paying for an ambulance ride right now too.

8. Don’t return a call from daycare until the second voice mail. If your kid is really sick, they will leave multiple messages.
See above. The second message may just be me telling you I am terming your contract.

9. If you have to pick up your kid, wait until the end of the day. Pick her up an hour earlier than normal. You’ll still get there before closing time, but you won’t be leaving work too early.
You have 30 minutes to be here!

10.You work when you’re sick—most people do. It’s the new America. And how can we compete in a global economy if our kids stay home every time they have a “cold” or “strep throat”? Take your sick kid to daycare. For yourself. For America.
My business, my rules. Here's your termination slip

I wonder if she think's I'm as funny as I thought she was?

I don't open until March 1st and I currently work full time in a fairly inflexible job. But I haven't taken "vacation" ever because my time off is taken for drs appts and sick days for my child. I have taken unpaid days too.
melilley 10:37 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Dilley Beans:
Thank goodness for handbooks and enforcing them. I'm sure this mother loves her children, but she has an odd way of showing it.

1. Never bring your kid to school if she has a fever.
If they look under the weather, I temp test at the door. If they spike a fever at noon and I know you doped and dropped. Whenever you show up after that and it better be within 30 minutes per my handbook, you will be handed an immediate termination slip.

6. Teach her how to say, “I have allergies.” If she’s particularly articulate: “year-round allergies.”
Yes, I caught your child's allergies last time, see you 48 hours after symptoms are gone, per my handbook.

7. If the teacher does call you at work, don’t pick up the phone. Better yet, leave the phone in the car. How can you feel guilty about missing a call if you don’t have your phone with you? Remember: Information is your enemy.
"Here is your termination slip, I was not able to get ahold of you. It could have been an emergency. If she had needed an ER visit, you'd be paying for an ambulance ride right now too.

8. Don’t return a call from daycare until the second voice mail. If your kid is really sick, they will leave multiple messages.
See above. The second message may just be me telling you I am terming your contract.

9. If you have to pick up your kid, wait until the end of the day. Pick her up an hour earlier than normal. You’ll still get there before closing time, but you won’t be leaving work too early.
You have 30 minutes to be here!

10.You work when you’re sick—most people do. It’s the new America. And how can we compete in a global economy if our kids stay home every time they have a “cold” or “strep throat”? Take your sick kid to daycare. For yourself. For America.
My business, my rules. Here's your termination slip

I wonder if she think's I'm as funny as I thought she was?

I don't open until March 1st and I currently work full time in a fairly inflexible job. But I haven't taken "vacation" ever because my time off is taken for drs appts and sick days for my child. I have taken unpaid days too.

Play Care 10:38 AM 02-06-2015
I saw this last year when it came out. Wasn't funny then, not funny now.
It's actually a sad commentary about the state of affairs in our country disguised (badly) as humor
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's actually a sad commentary about the state of affairs in our country disguised (badly) as humor
....from a book, properly titled.... "Sh1tty Mom"
Annalee 10:44 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's actually a sad commentary about the state of affairs in our country disguised (badly) as humor:(
My brother tells me the same thing. He says nearly everything is accepted in the name of humor and there is NO humor in a person mistreating children...Then he went on the war path about things people joke about that is cruel/inhumane/wrong......but that is another story
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Someone posted this on a fb group that I am in. It's totally ridiculous!

http://mom.me/parenting/3916-how-dro...k-kid-daycare/

"I was engaging in my usual browsing of the Internet this morning over my first cup of coffee when I came across this:

How To Drop Your Sick Kid At Daycare

(please do not forget to click page "two" on that article and read the helpful list of exact methods of skirting parental responsibility while dumping your sick kid in the care of others)

I realize this article is perhaps intended to be satirical but it seems to exhibit a sense of seriousness as well. I am having a hard time actually believing in its acrimoniousness.

What can I say? I could say I was appalled but that would be a lie. It is hard to use the word appalled when you honesty aren't surprised that a parent would actually knowingly dump their sick child in daycare. So, I will have to use the word dismay to describe the feeling I got while reading this. Dismay at the thought of a sick child being forced into a group environment when all they really want is their own bed and their warm, soft mommy or daddy. Dismay at the thought of every other child in close proximity to the sick child suffering the same fate a few days later. And, last but not least, dismay with the fact that the providers(s) will most likely suffer the same fate, and, if a home daycare provider, likely work while sick as a dog as to not inconvenience the very parent who selfishly caused the rampant virus spreading in the first place.

Most daycare providers I know have policies in place that boldly and clearly state that a child can not attend while ill. Knowingly sending a sick child to daycare will likely get you terminated from care. Yes, that's right, I said terminated from care. Too harsh? I think not! Our responsibility is to ALL the children in our care and that includes protecting them from selfish, inconsiderate parents who think nothing of infecting everyone because they are too all-important to stay home and tend to their own sick child.

I would love to address the list of so called "nuts and bolts" to dropping off your sick kid at daycare. Let's do that right now.

1. Daycare providers know. Yes, we KNOW when your child was dropped off sick. It is one of our numerous omnipotent powers.

2. Don't even think of medicating to mask a fever and then run and drop. When your kid spikes a fever suddenly at 11am we KNOW that it's because the medication just wore off. The gig is up.

3. If you decide to not answer your phone we will start to call your emergency contacts. When they can not be contacted we WILL call Children's Aid or Protective Services. Not being available for your child when called is considered abandonment.

4. If we actually get you on the phone because you were "considerate" enough to actually answer don't even think about stalling and not picking up until an hour before the day is over; it won't cut it. This is not our first rodeo.

5. ALL of the above WILL result in immediate termination of services. Just consider us 'doing it for America or Canada' and all the other innocent, well-children who don't want to be contaminated by your self-righteous selfishness.

And to all those parents who would never think of so selfishly dumping your sick child in daycare - thank you. YOU are the people who make us want to get up every day and continue to serve your children."

~ This was written by a good friend of mine. She is no longer a provider but I thought she had a great rebuttal to sh1tty mom's idea of humor.
hope 10:51 AM 02-06-2015
I am sure the woman who wrote this has never taken a day off of work because she is sick or taken a vacation day to enjoy. At a minimum, people are given a weeks vacation and a few sick and personal days. There is sick care available on care.com. Fathers also have at minimum a weeks vacation plus sick and personal days. Not once in this article did the mother contemplate how her child would feel sick and in daycare verses home, in bed, cared for by her mother.
The problem is everyone does this. I hear it all the time at school, from friends and family....
melilley 10:53 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"I was engaging in my usual browsing of the Internet this morning over my first cup of coffee when I came across this:

How To Drop Your Sick Kid At Daycare

(please do not forget to click page "two" on that article and read the helpful list of exact methods of skirting parental responsibility while dumping your sick kid in the care of others)

I realize this article is perhaps intended to be satirical but it seems to exhibit a sense of seriousness as well. I am having a hard time actually believing in its acrimoniousness.

What can I say? I could say I was appalled but that would be a lie. It is hard to use the word appalled when you honesty aren't surprised that a parent would actually knowingly dump their sick child in daycare. So, I will have to use the word dismay to describe the feeling I got while reading this. Dismay at the thought of a sick child being forced into a group environment when all they really want is their own bed and their warm, soft mommy or daddy. Dismay at the thought of every other child in close proximity to the sick child suffering the same fate a few days later. And, last but not least, dismay with the fact that the providers(s) will most likely suffer the same fate, and, if a home daycare provider, likely work while sick as a dog as to not inconvenience the very parent who selfishly caused the rampant virus spreading in the first place.

Most daycare providers I know have policies in place that boldly and clearly state that a child can not attend while ill. Knowingly sending a sick child to daycare will likely get you terminated from care. Yes, that's right, I said terminated from care. Too harsh? I think not! Our responsibility is to ALL the children in our care and that includes protecting them from selfish, inconsiderate parents who think nothing of infecting everyone because they are too all-important to stay home and tend to their own sick child.

I would love to address the list of so called "nuts and bolts" to dropping off your sick kid at daycare. Let's do that right now.

1. Daycare providers know. Yes, we KNOW when your child was dropped off sick. It is one of our numerous omnipotent powers.

2. Don't even think of medicating to mask a fever and then run and drop. When your kid spikes a fever suddenly at 11am we KNOW that it's because the medication just wore off. The gig is up.

3. If you decide to not answer your phone we will start to call your emergency contacts. When they can not be contacted we WILL call Children's Aid or Protective Services. Not being available for your child when called is considered abandonment.

4. If we actually get you on the phone because you were "considerate" enough to actually answer don't even think about stalling and not picking up until an hour before the day is over; it won't cut it. This is not our first rodeo.

5. ALL of the above WILL result in immediate termination of services. Just consider us 'doing it for America or Canada' and all the other innocent, well-children who don't want to be contaminated by your self-righteous selfishness.

And to all those parents who would never think of so selfishly dumping your sick child in daycare - thank you. YOU are the people who make us want to get up every day and continue to serve your children."

~ This was written by a good friend of mine. She is no longer a provider but I thought she had a great rebuttal to sh1tty mom's idea of humor.

This is great! I hope sh1tty mom saw it.
I had no idea the article was old, that was the first time that I had read it. I wanted to jump through my phone and yell at that woman when I read her sh1tty blog/article...lol
melilley 10:55 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I am sure the woman who wrote this has never taken a day off of work because she is sick or taken a vacation day to enjoy. At a minimum, people are given a weeks vacation and a few sick and personal days. There is sick care available on care.com. Fathers also have at minimum a weeks vacation plus sick and personal days. Not once in this article did the mother contemplate how her child would feel sick and in daycare verses home, in bed, cared for by her mother.
The problem is everyone does this. I hear it all the time at school, from friends and family....
Yep. And we see/hear a lot on here, of parents using sick and vacation time to take vacations, yet have no sick time available for their children.
Reply Up