Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing a family
scorp122 10:38 AM 02-11-2015
Last Tuesday, I had a dcd come in and tell me they were giving me my 2 week notice, I have had this family for over 4 1/2 years, they have 3 daughters, excellent kids, by the way. They told me they are going to try a new daycare, because their middle child (3yrs) is having tantrums at home and they need to change something. Does this make sense to anyone else? They children are all sooo good here, they say i did nothing wrong, they just said they have to change something and they don't know what else to do!
daycarediva 10:42 AM 02-11-2015
That does NOT sound right at ALL. If she isn't displaying that behavior for you, how can it be attributed to you?

It sounds like an excuse- they found cheaper/better hours/closer to home or work, something else.

I'm sorry
NorthernMNgal 10:42 AM 02-11-2015
That does NOT make sense to me. You would think changing providers would cause more issues for the child. Maybe she is having tantrums because she is 3!
melilley 10:45 AM 02-11-2015
Doesn't make sense to me either. A lot of children throw tantrums at home, but not at dc. It sounds like an excuse to me. Sorry. What are they going to do when they do leave and the child still throws tantrums?
scorp122 10:49 AM 02-11-2015
the dcm said we don't even know if changing daycare is going to help, we just need to change something, i think that their 1st child was such an easy child, that they seriously don't know how to respond to their 2nd. This child is so smart and i think that she's doing it for attention, because the oldest just started kindergarten and the youngest is 8 mos. But how do you tell a parent that, without offending them, they never take my opinion anyways!
Unregistered 10:53 AM 02-11-2015
You can't really tell them that without getting into their business and possibly causing waves. I would simply say that I hope it all works out and move on. If they come back to you in a few weeks/months wen things don't change (or get worse) at the new daycare, I would just say that I filled the spot and cannot take her anymore. If their goal is to improve her behavior by taking her out of a consistent environment, they are going to be super disappointed, but bottom line is that it is their kid and they need to make mistakes, live and learn from it.
Leigh 11:33 AM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by scorp122:
Last Tuesday, I had a dcd come in and tell me they were giving me my 2 week notice, I have had this family for over 4 1/2 years, they have 3 daughters, excellent kids, by the way. They told me they are going to try a new daycare, because their middle child (3yrs) is having tantrums at home and they need to change something. Does this make sense to anyone else? They children are all sooo good here, they say i did nothing wrong, they just said they have to change something and they don't know what else to do!
Does the family understand that tantrums are NORMAL for 3 year olds, and that the change needs to be in the form of PARENTING? Ugh...how frustrating!
AmyKidsCo 11:49 AM 02-11-2015
It's hard to lose a family who's been with you so long. My guess is that they're leaving for another reason and just using the tantrums as an excuse.
KiddieCahoots 01:54 PM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
It's hard to lose a family who's been with you so long. My guess is that they're leaving for another reason and just using the tantrums as an excuse.
...I agree with everybody.

If this is what they are doing, try not to take it personally, let it happen, and don't take them back.

I had a dcm sit in her vehicle at the top of my hill for an hour after drop off, later claiming to be too scared to go down after 2 inches of snow fell the night before, while all my neighbors easily went down the hill even without 4 wheel drive, that dcm did have.
This was also totally out of character for this dcm to be afraid to drive, that's what part of her job consisted of, driving around the city all yr round.
I knew then......she was searching for an excuse and may be trying to use the hill that I live on.
Suspecting this, I should've term'd then, instead I ignored it, and dcm turned around to put the excuse, instead of my hill, onto me, blaming me for her dcb's inappropriate behaviors.
nannyde 02:41 PM 02-11-2015
Sounds like they found cheap daycare.
Crazy8 06:34 PM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You can't really tell them that without getting into their business and possibly causing waves. I would simply say that I hope it all works out and move on. If they come back to you in a few weeks/months wen things don't change (or get worse) at the new daycare, I would just say that I filled the spot and cannot take her anymore. If their goal is to improve her behavior by taking her out of a consistent environment, they are going to be super disappointed, but bottom line is that it is their kid and they need to make mistakes, live and learn from it.
I think I would have trouble not mentioning the bolded above!!!! No logic behind her reasoning, like everyone else said I am guessing the other daycare is cheaper, longer hours, etc.
blueskiesbutterflies 04:26 AM 02-12-2015
I would say cheaper daycare as well. I think there are some awesome providers out there but sometimes cheap is not better. From personnel experience with my oldest child when she was little.

I take it personal as well and let it get me down. I know it makes you feel like you done something wrong or that yyou are not good enough. Keep your head up, keep the faith, and do not let them see you are upset over it
Blackcat31 05:26 AM 02-12-2015
the dcm said we don't even know if changing daycare is going to help, we just need to change something, i think that their 1st child was such an easy child, that they seriously don't know how to respond to their 2nd. This child is so smart and i think that she's doing it for attention, because the oldest just started kindergarten and the youngest is 8 mos. But how do you tell a parent that, without offending them, they never take my opinion anyways!
Expect the change to be disastrous and for them to call you back and want to re-enroll with you.

Will you take them back?
scorp122 09:49 AM 02-12-2015
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking, is that they will be calling me back, the dcm already said they want to keep me as backup, I've already replaced them with other kids, so no, i cannot take them back, nor do i think i would. It's just so frustrating, because i had them for so long, and they never once mentioned or said anything to me. They also have not told the girls yet, because they said they are not sure where they are going yet and the dcm said that the oldest gets such anxiety, that they don't want to say anything till they know for sure. Tomorrow is their last day
Reply Up