Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh My! Im Already Going Crazy!
erinalexmom 07:15 PM 08-18-2011
Ok this is a longs story but heres the short version: I have had these two school age boys for 2 hours total and they are already driving me crazy and I want to term them. I didnt really want to take them in the first place, but I took them in a effort to be full. But now I am getting calls for younger kids with better hours (these parents drop off at 5am a couple times a week) so I am really regretting this whole choice. I have known the parents since elementary school (small town) and I know how talk goes around town if I do term them. I want an excuse to get rid of them! It needs to be something that is accross the board so they dont take personal offense. 1)I am not set up for school agers. 2) they take up spots in the afternoon that I need for full timers 3)they put me over in numbers, if I take the littles, but I would rather have the littles cause they would be full time.

Also the youngest has ADHD and I am sorry but he was LITERALLY hopping around my living room at 6am today. I dont even let the little kids do this (hopping, skipping, jumping is outside things or dance time things) yesterday he kept threatening to walk home and leave daycare! These boys have no real social skills and they are just not raised with the same ideas I want DKC raised with. Any ideas?
familyschoolcare 07:45 PM 08-18-2011
do you have other school-agers if not then you could just say after seeing how school age children fit into your program you have decided to no longer accept school age as it appears to not be a good age fit/ arrangement. If we where even in the same state I would say send them to me I have experience with ADHA children and specialize in school age.
cheerfuldom 08:00 PM 08-18-2011
I would just say that you are taking some more younger kids and since they are the only school agers, you will have to let them go. Your program is starting to gear towards just the youngers and its not a right fit for them.
Michelle 11:13 PM 08-18-2011
I did that one time, I told parents of some wild schoolagers I am gearing towards younger kids and told parents of wild younger ones that I'm going towards older schoolagers and it turned out they knew each other from a support group!!!

mac60 04:35 AM 08-19-2011
Sorry you are dealing with this. Lesson learned the hard way yesterday....term them. Don't keep a low paying family in a spot when you have the opportunity to make more dollars. Trust me, if they were offered a situation they could pay less, they would pry dump you in a heartbeat. My family did after 7 years. Schoolagers are a pain in the ass. There comes a point where parents think we are no longer worthy of getting a fair pay. Interview, fill their spot and give notice.
Cat Herder 04:36 AM 08-19-2011
Rejection is rejection. They are going to want to blame you. Give them that.

"I can't meet your childrens needs. They will benefit from an environment that has more playground equipment/curriculum/one on one care/padded rooms/unicorns/starbucks (or anything the mother has ever hinted at). I know **** daycare has openings, their number is *****."

It is the only way I have learned to reject a family and have them leave feeling good about it. Looking forward to something "better" in their eyes.
wdmmom 05:55 AM 08-19-2011
The way I see it, you have 2 options:

Put the boys back to bed when they get there. There is absolutely no reason for a kid to be up at 5am let alone 6am and bouncing off the walls.

or

Tell DCF that you have decided to make some changes to the daycare consisting of a change of operational hours and that you will not be taking any more schoolagers.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:07 AM 08-19-2011
Are they only part time? My part time policies state that if you are part time, I have the option to terminate you if a full time child comes along and needs a spot.

I would just tell them that financially you can not continue to do part time care. It takes a full time spot, but you are not paid for full time, so you are terminating all part time spots.

But I like the others answers better. Just tell them that you are no longer doing school age care. You dont have to give them a reason, that should be enough. But if you do, then just say that you cant meet their needs. You cant give the attention the school agers need cause you are busy with the littles.

Make it seem like it's for the benefit of the school agers, they would be happier in an environment better suited for them, etc.
familyschoolcare 09:35 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Rejection is rejection. They are going to want to blame you. Give them that.

"I can't meet your childrens needs. They will benefit from an environment that has more playground equipment/curriculum/one on one care/padded rooms/unicorns/starbucks (or anything the mother has ever hinted at). I know **** daycare has openings, their number is *****."

It is the only way I have learned to reject a family and have them leave feeling good about it. Looking forward to something "better" in their eyes.
Unicorns that a new one. I know you where making a point.
erinalexmom 10:38 AM 08-19-2011
Now if somewhere has unicorns then my own 6yr old daughter would leave my care for them!
Zoe 10:40 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Now if somewhere has unicorns then my own 6yr old daughter would leave my care for them!
Ditto! My DD's such a princess!
momma2girls 04:54 PM 08-19-2011
I have learned the hard way on school aged children-
If you are going to take care of school aged children, you have to make it worth while to you.
I was only charging $20.00 a week for one child, only here for 45 min- an hr. each am- boy it was definately not worth it any longer.
I charge $50.00 for before and after school, but I am increasing this as well, for the new year.
I do not have any school aged children now, and haven't for about a yr. now, and I do not miss it.
They are really tough!!
Plus they are all brining in colds, flu, etc.....
I can count all the times, this little boy brought stuff into my house- it definately wasn't worth it!!
Tags:adhd, bad fit, schoolage, siblings - not a good fit
Reply Up