Don't you all just love the age where the older infant or toddler finds their

voice and lets out those ear piercing - window shattering screams at

random times?
Mrs. CC 07:12 AM 11-01-2011
i feel you!! my 6 month old goes pterodactyl daily
Heidi 07:23 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs. CC:
i feel you!! my 6 month old goes pterodactyl daily
lol...when the twins do that..I say shhhh....and start whispering. so far, it hasnt worked....
2ndFamilyDC 07:47 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
lol...when the twins do that..I say shhhh....and start whispering. so far, it hasnt worked....

There probably isn't anything that makes it stop unfortunately. It is what it is, but it does grate on my nerves.
Country Kids 07:54 AM 11-01-2011
I have one that is 2.5 and still does it. No matter how much we say no, whisper, put in quiet time they still do it. It just grates on my nerves soooo much!
cheerfuldom 08:11 AM 11-01-2011
i had a one year old that did it and scared my newborn so bad every time. I had to let her go for scheduling reasons and thank goodness I don't have to hear that screech anymore.
2ndFamilyDC 09:54 AM 11-01-2011
OK, have to say I feel much better now that I know there are others going through this and suffering with me. LOL
Unregistered 10:08 AM 11-01-2011
I sometimes make a game out of it and we all scream and then the one who started it(my daughter) has it out of her system so she moves onto the next thing. It is hard to hear but only lasts a few minutes.
MarinaVanessa 10:22 AM 11-01-2011
Here's a little tidbit. I read somwhere that any frequent or constant sound over 7 decibals is loud enough to damage your hearing. The average toddler screams at 12-13 decibals.
blueclouds29 10:25 AM 11-01-2011
I have a couple of toddlers that do it to! I just love it when i'm buckling them up in the wagon with my head down and they do it right in my ear! Ughhhh
nope nothing you can do
2ndFamilyDC 10:27 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Here's a little tidbit. I read somwhere that any frequent or constant sound over 7 decibals is loud enough to damage your hearing. The average toddler screams at 12-13 decibals.

oh good to know.
Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 11-01-2011
I started losing my hearing about 7 years ago. About a year and a half ago, my left ear checked out completely and my right is deteriorating (probably from the noise here). So take some genetic hearing loss, a history of concert-going and add daily screaming/general noise level. Presto! Hard of hearing. Sometimes, its a benefit, but mostly it sucks. I need hearing aides, but can't afford them. In this noisy environment, I'm not sure I want them anyways.
caligirl 01:10 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
Don't you all just love the age where the older infant or toddler finds their

voice and lets out those ear piercing - window shattering screams at

random times?
No. I don't love it.
Country Kids 01:13 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I started losing my hearing about 7 years ago. About a year and a half ago, my left ear checked out completely and my right is deteriorating (probably from the noise here). So take some genetic hearing loss, a history of concert-going and add daily screaming/general noise level. Presto! Hard of hearing. Sometimes, its a benefit, but mostly it sucks. I need hearing aides, but can't afford them. In this noisy environment, I'm not sure I want them anyways.
I have actually noticed lately that if someone doesn't look right at me I find it very hard to hear them. This has only happened in the last year when I took on a screamer and then another one of mine has decided to join in. It totally makes me upset that the parents won't correct them at home and tell them to stop! I may put the decibal information into my newsletter for this month.
caligirl 01:13 PM 11-01-2011
Here's a little tidbit. I read somewhere that any frequent or constant sound over 7 decibels is loud enough to damage your hearing. The average toddler screams at 12-13 decibels.
I have a 9 month old boy here, who can double those higher numbers......and the mom thinks its so cute......... I tell her that when he does that ear piercing 'wake Elvis from the grave' screams, I say his name very sternly and he stops to look at me, then I say 'shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!'.........it works for me, but it doesn't help that mom thinks its cute and encourages it at home
2ndFamilyDC 06:19 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
I have a 9 month old boy here, who can double those higher numbers......and the mom thinks its so cute......... I tell her that when he does that ear piercing 'wake Elvis from the grave' screams, I say his name very sternly and he stops to look at me, then I say 'shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!'.........it works for me, but it doesn't help that mom thinks its cute and encourages it at home

I will never understand why parents think that is cute, but I know many of them do.

Your lucky that your little one stops. I find that they will stop that particular scream, but another one soon follows.
2ndFamilyDC 06:50 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

Ok, after reading this I have come to the conclusion that this is happening to me too. After 22 years of hearing little one sceam at such unbelievable decibils I noticed that my hearing is not what it used to be.

This is no laughing matter.

This morning I have heard my little one let out that scream 25 times in an hour. Just does it randomly. Sometimes in frustration and sometimes just because she can. And each time I jump and it truly hurts my ears. I am going to find some kind of ear protection to wear from now on.
Country Kids 06:56 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
Ok, after reading this I have come to the conclusion that this is happening to me too. After 22 years of hearing little one sceam at such unbelievable decibils I noticed that my hearing is not what it used to be.

This is no laughing matter.

This morning I have heard my little one let out that scream 25 times in an hour. Just does it randomly. Sometimes in frustration and sometimes just because she can. And each time I jump and it truly hurts my ears. I am going to find some kind of ear protection to wear from now on.
Oh my goodness, I was just thinking about wearing the ear protection thing yesterday! Could we legally do something like that? I was thinking they would say it impairs our hearing more so it would be a no no. Does anyone know if we could do that or not?
hoopinglady 06:58 AM 11-02-2011
My own 2 year old has taken to this dolphin-like wail for his whiney cry...ugh, it's awful.

I say, "is there something you WANT????" He nods, stubbornly. "TELL me"

Why does nature create sounds that make you want to throw a child?
Tags:screamer
Reply Up