Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20 Month Old Climbing Out Of PNP
jojosmommy 01:03 PM 01-20-2012
20 month old (with motor and some dev delays) climbs out of pnp. Definately not ready to nap on mat alone. Still screams a lot at nap time when she doesnt want to take a nap. Sleeps in crib at home and has started escaping there too.

What do I do? Her delays do not limit her ability to understand, and in terms of guidance is able to follow typical expectations of behavior.

I have 2 ($100) baby cams which I use on my infants here. Today I used one on her as one baby is gone and each time she tried I put her back laying down in bed, "goodnight." I do not want to buy another one since they are so expensive. Any other ideas?
CountryMommy 01:10 PM 01-20-2012
A sleep sack!
KBCsMommy 01:22 PM 01-20-2012
Trust me a sleep sack wont work!!! Been there done that!!!

You could make a mitted sweatshirt and that might do the trick, they wont be able to grasp the railing to climb out.

With a little guy I had once I would put him down for nap last. Everytime he would get up I would lay him back down. I would also sit in the room with him. Everytime he would lift his head I would say lay down. He eventually would fall asleep. After a few days they get it.

It was a pita but he would sleep, and I got the break that I needed. I would take my lap top in the room with me so I wouldnt fall asleep or get bored!
Meeko 01:23 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by CountryMommy:
A sleep sack!
I had a little escape artist too and so I bought a sleepsack from Walmart.com. Problem solved!
Heidi 01:28 PM 01-20-2012
sleep sack has always worked for my climbers, but if she's a flipper, that's another story. Ouch!

Then it's sleep sack AND mitted sweatshirt, I guess!
bice99 01:50 PM 01-20-2012
Peapod! Trust me, they are great.
momma2girls 03:26 PM 01-20-2012
what are peapods?
bice99 11:22 PM 01-20-2012
This is the "plus" version. It's a little bigger, which the parents like because they can use it for road trips or going to gma's house for longer.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...MAE#ps-sellers
Sprouts 08:41 AM 01-21-2012
Does anyone know if these are okay to use in NY? I am getting a 20 month old and not sure now she will be on a mat, at home she is still in a crib but the pnp takes up too much room, I already have 4 up.

And any advice on transitioning a 17 month old to a mat, I am kind of trying to avoid it because he'll sleep in his pnp for a good 2 hours!
mac60 03:36 PM 01-21-2012
I had a climber and the sleep sack did the trick.
wdmmom 08:47 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Does anyone know if these are okay to use in NY? I am getting a 20 month old and not sure now she will be on a mat, at home she is still in a crib but the pnp takes up too much room, I already have 4 up.

And any advice on transitioning a 17 month old to a mat, I am kind of trying to avoid it because he'll sleep in his pnp for a good 2 hours!
I don't start transitioning until they are at least 2 years old. I have a DCB that turned 2 in November and a DCG that will be 2 next month. She will be on a cot long before I will transition him. He's too hyper to stay in place. While the girl is very mellow and listens very well.

As for NY law...I'm not sure but I don't see why you couldn't use sleep sacks everywhere.
Michelle 11:14 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
This is the "plus" version. It's a little bigger, which the parents like because they can use it for road trips or going to gma's house for longer.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...MAE#ps-sellers
I'm sorry I just can't imagine anyone putting a child in that thing.
That is a cage!
bice99 12:18 AM 01-22-2012
The 17 month old I put in one absolutely LOVED it! From day one she would happily crawl inside at naptime and point to the screen so I would zip it. She loved the safe feeling it gave her. Some kiddos are just that way.
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 01-22-2012
I agree, I didn't think it was a cage but more of a pop up tent thing. They sell those tents that go over beds for the kids so I thought the pea pod was super cute and I bet any kid would love to climb inside and snuggle up...I know I would!
Meyou 04:12 AM 01-23-2012
I vote for sleepsack. It's worked for all my climbers.
Cat Herder 04:23 AM 01-23-2012
It is our regs, and on the warning label of the PNP, itself, that they need to be removed once they can climb out. The max weight is 30 lbs for the bottom, 15 lbs for the bassinet and changing table.

It is a safety risk.

I'd check your regs before making any decision.

I, personally, could get in trouble for having a 20 month old in one, here.
jojosmommy 10:49 AM 01-23-2012
Here we can have them in pnp at 20 mo and she does not exceed weight limit. Never seen a sleep sack. Going to check it out online, in the mean time I will just keep laying her down and hope she gets the hint. She had her back turned when I snuck in last time to put her back down and I startled her, maybe that alone will work. ; )
Tags:naptime - screamer, naptime routine, safety issues, screamer, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up