Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please help! Lesson plan ?
pollywolly101 08:17 AM 08-14-2010
Hi all! I am new to working in a daycare although I have 4 children of my own.
We use Funshine Express and I have the Buttercups. My room is 11 months-23 months.
I just started last week and we opened then too. Next week we are supposed to start using the curriculum and I am trying to make a lesson plan.

The activities laid out though seem to be done maybe one activity a day. I am supposed to do Art, Large Gross, Fine Motor, Music plus Bible story and Story time everyday.
So am I supposed to come up with art and physical development and cognitive etc activities on my own?!
Now, I'm pretty creative but these kids do not have many supplies at all and I certainly can't afford to buy everything we would need. Please help!
Crystal 09:33 AM 08-14-2010
Wow, you have to have a lesson plan for infant/toddlers? That's silly.

BUT, since you do, here are some ideas, that are inexpensive or free:

Art:

make your own finger paint - boil 5 cups water, add 1 cup of cornstarch, mix well with wire whisk, add food color or a little tempura paint.

make playdough - find recipe by google

collage: paper, glue, scrap materials or leaves/pine needles, etc. Allow children to glue as they wish.

provide children with a deep bin/container. put 1/2 cup of cornstarch in each container. Give them a cup with water,( add food color if you'd like) to pour into the cornstarch and allow them to play in it - messy but a great sensory experience, and they can drip it onto paper - it will dry immediately.

big crayons and paper are always a hit - tape the paper down so they can keep it in place.

Boxes: provide lots of boxes and let them paint/decorate them. This can also be a motor activity, as they will move/build etc. with the boxes.

Gross motor:

Really, this could be just about any movement activity.

PLay some music and dance. Add a large sheet to it and you have a parachute game - throw a ball on the sheet, let children move it up and down.

Provide long strips of fabric or scarves to dance with.

If anyone you know has an exercise ball, bring it and allow the children to roll it back and forth to each other, and help them sit/bounce, etc. on it. PLay "across the bridge" draw a thick line on the ground with chalk, or use a two by four, and have children balance as they walk across, forward and backwards.

Give them big pillow cases and have them get into them and hop around to music

Cognitive

Well, this is the silliest one. EVERYTHING young children do contributes to their cognitive development. But, since they want something the adults can SEE:

cut out a lot shapes from construction paper, in different colors (if you can laminate them, that would be good) Put them out for children to sort, match, etc. Be available to ask them questions: what color is this triangle, how many sides does this square have, do you see another blue square, etc.

READ,READ,READ!!!!!!!!

I'll try to come up with some more ideas. The most important thing is that you make it fun for the kids. They are constantly learning, it doesn't have to be "work" for them to grow and learn. Be creative, be open to allowing the children to lead the direction that the activities take them....allow it to be about the process they are involved in, not an end product.
alyssyn 10:39 AM 08-14-2010
Thanks Crystal!! Those are some great ideas!! I really llike the one about the cornstarch and water, gonna try that next week!
Abigail 09:43 PM 08-14-2010
Is Cornstarch the number one art supply item I should keep on hand? I've seen it in many postings and recipes/ingredients now. LOL
Former Teacher 12:06 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Wow, you have to have a lesson plan for infant/toddlers? That's silly.
I agree but try and tell THAT to TX state licensing. In centers you are REQUIRED to have activity plans (feeding schedules as well for infants that must be signed and dated each month) for ALL age groups. These plans must be updated and posted blah blah blah.

I don't know about home day cares but that's how it is in centers.
Tags:activities, funshine express
Reply Up