Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop Off Cutoff
NillaWafers 09:24 AM 12-08-2016
Hi all! Do you institute a drop off cutoff time? I have a new family who had been dropping off around 10am and I am finding it pretty disruptive to my routine. We do all our activities in the morning, by the time she is here she gets to do one thing, lunch, then nap. She doesn't nap at all and I suspect it's because they let her sleep in till like 9:30.

What time do you cut off drop offs? Their scheduled time is 8am, I do have a no call/no show policy and they haven't been texting me or calling within the 30 minutes stated in the handbook. She is a really great kid though, I just feel like I need her parents to fall in line.

I'm full for the first time in two years and it's great to have a steady income while I go through some serious personal stuff.
Crazy Baby 09:39 AM 12-08-2016
I've had some major issues with parents who are hours late to drop off. I feel that it is very inconvenient and disrespectful to the kids and me. I recently implemented a policy that says they will pay $5 for every half hour that they are late and their child will not be admitted after an hour and a half late. I now also charge a $20 no call no show fee. This is probably fairly lenient compared to some providers' contracts.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:46 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Hi all! Do you institute a drop off cutoff time? I have a new family who had been dropping off around 10am and I am finding it pretty disruptive to my routine. We do all our activities in the morning, by the time she is here she gets to do one thing, lunch, then nap. She doesn't nap at all and I suspect it's because they let her sleep in till like 9:30.

What time do you cut off drop offs? Their scheduled time is 8am, I do have a no call/no show policy and they haven't been texting me or calling within the 30 minutes stated in the handbook. She is a really great kid though, I just feel like I need her parents to fall in line.

I'm full for the first time in two years and it's great to have a steady income while I go through some serious personal stuff.
Yep! If they are not here by 9, they can't come! I will make exceptions of course, but it can't happen on the regular.
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 12-08-2016
I don't have a cut off time but if a child is having trouble napping, I'd definitely address with the parent. I would not say anything about the later drop off but I would say the child needs to arrive prepared for whatever activity is scheduled at the time of drop off. So if she's sleeping in and being dropped off later and therefore will not nap, that is not prepared.

I'd call for pick up. "DCP, I am needing you to come pick up Sally. It is rest time here and she is clearly not prepared for rest time and is causing a disruption to the daily schedule. Thank you! See you shortly"

If you continue to just deal with it, they will continue to do it. If she is being dropped of unprepared, make it the parents issue and they will more than likely fix it.

What do they do for a job that they can just drop off so randomly?
daycarediva 09:52 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Yep! If they are not here by 9, they can't come! I will make exceptions of course, but it can't happen on the regular.
I make exceptions for appointments (eg. dentist or well child visit with no vaccines) or those unforseeables (car trouble)

I don't care what time their contracted drop off is, I allow drop offs from 8-9 AM. After 9 we start circle time, and the door gets locked and my sign goes up on the door.

Keep a knockin' but you can't come in
Come back tomorrow night and try it again

NillaWafers 09:52 AM 12-08-2016
Her dad is a freelance graphic designer and works from home. Her mom works for a hotel and has a more regular schedule.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Her dad is a freelance graphic designer and works from home. Her mom works for a hotel and has a more regular schedule.

Dcm, the kids are missing quite a bit by not being dropped off prior to 9am, and it's throwing our schedule off since they aren't on the same routine as the other children in care. At this point, I really need to insist that they arrive before 9am so that they will be here for circle time. Thanks!

There is no reason dcm isn't doing all drop offs.
midaycare 11:10 AM 12-08-2016
I didn't use to, but hours vary too much. 9 am
Baby Beluga 11:21 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I make exceptions for appointments (eg. dentist or well child visit with no vaccines) or those unforseeables (car trouble)

I don't care what time their contracted drop off is, I allow drop offs from 8-9 AM. After 9 we start circle time, and the door gets locked and my sign goes up on the door.

Come back tomorrow night and try it again

This is hilarious!

I don't have a drop off cut off, but my families have been mostly consistent and it hasn't disrupted our routine when someone is dropped off later.

If DCG's late arrivals are disrupting your routine then I think a drop off cut off time is reasonable.
childcaremom 11:23 AM 12-08-2016
I do cutoff here at 8:30 now. I address this during interviews and in my handbook. I explain that each child needs to be in attendance by x time each day to allow them a brief time to adjust to the daycare environment prior to the daycare schedule getting under way.

I think it can be addressed as suggested above.
TXhomedaycare 11:30 AM 12-08-2016
I don't but I have been thinking about adding it. Anytime I have kids show up after 10 they have a hard time joining the group as if they are in vacation mode. They usually take a nap bu since I have a few parents off during the week and have night schedules I and starting to see it more and more.
debbiedoeszip 12:32 PM 12-08-2016
I don't have a cut off time and I would probably only talk to the parents about the non-napping if the child was disruptive or noisy during nap. I would then give them the option of getting her up earlier so that she naps with the others, or of finding another daycare.
DaveA 01:18 PM 12-08-2016
No formal cut off, but DCPs know we do a lot away from the house as part of the program. If they're not here by 830 I can't guarantee we will be here for drop off.
lovemydaycare0912 07:01 PM 12-08-2016
Mine is 1000am may change to 900am but it hasn't been an issue lately. I allow up until 1100a. If they have an appt. Before I had a child whose drop off time was 900am but he wouldn't come u til 1000am at times. It got annoying. Kids are all here by 845 sometimes 900 and it works so well.
Blackcat31 05:36 AM 12-09-2016
This isn't directed at anyone in particular but I saw this subject being discussed in a parent group I am in and although I totally understand the provider perspective, most parents have commented that they would not sign up with a provider that has a cut off time. There were many reasons why they didn't like it but the main one was most were upset that they couldn't spend a lazy morning with their child.

I kind of agree with them....

I want working parents to sneak in any amount of face time with their child that they can and requiring them to drop off at a certain time prohibits that most times and I don't like that.

The ONLY time I would bring it up to the parent is if it disrupts rest time for the others. Or if the parent complained about the child missing out on certain activities.

I have an almost 4 yr old in care right now that gets dropped off days a week right AT lunch time. She has 2 "snuggle" days with grandma and I know she sleeps in but she is still perfectly capable of coming here at lunch and still participating in rest time.

She doesn't sleep but she lays quietly and has never disturbed the others. If it was an issue, I'd absolutely bring it up to the parents but I can fathom denying this child her special time with grandma because I want a cut off time.
Snowmom 06:30 AM 12-09-2016
I just formally added one (8:45).

I do give them an option to schedule a late drop off with 12 hours advance notice.

I think that's reasonable. Most people have predictable schedules and imho, it's not unreasonable to expect communication for a late arrival.
DaveA 06:38 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This isn't directed at anyone in particular but I saw this subject being discussed in a parent group I am in and although I totally understand the provider perspective, most parents have commented that they would not sign up with a provider that has a cut off time. There were many reasons why they didn't like it but the main one was most were upset that they couldn't spend a lazy morning with their child.

I want working parents to sneak in any amount of face time with their child that they can and requiring them to drop off at a certain time prohibits that most times and I don't like that.

The ONLY time I would bring it up to the parent is if it disrupts rest time for the others. Or if the parent complained about the child missing out on certain activities.

I have an almost 4 yr old in care right now that gets dropped off days a week right AT lunch time. She has 2 "snuggle" days with grandma and I know she sleeps in but she is still perfectly capable of coming here at lunch and still participating in rest time.

She doesn't sleep but she lays quietly and has never disturbed the others. If it was an issue, I'd absolutely bring it up to the parents but I can fathom denying this child her special time with grandma because I want a cut off time.
I can see that perspective. A great reason why good communication is essential. A DCP wanting to spend some time with DCK will text me to see if we're doing something outside the house and when (and where) would be a good drop off time.
daycarediva 09:21 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

while I agree with this, and I would be open to trying it and continuing if it worked for me. Not a single one of my parents keeps the kids late to spend time together. It's all to allow them/child to sleep in. Since all by the oldest 4yo is incapable of quietly resting or quietly playing on a mat- if they don't rest- no one else can rest.
Annalee 09:26 AM 12-09-2016
while I agree with this, and I would be open to trying it and continuing if it worked for me. Not a single one of my parents keeps the kids late to spend time together. It's all to allow them/child to sleep in. Since all by the oldest 4yo is incapable of quietly resting or quietly playing on a mat- if they don't rest- no one else can rest.
My cutoff time is 8:00 AM for the same reasons you posted. I do allow clients to come in after early appointments (WIC, well-child docter, etc.) but I must approve beforehand....clients can't call me the morning of the appointment.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:13 AM 12-09-2016
This has been my experience as well. If a parent wants to spend the morning with their little one, i think that is great and i would have no issue making an exception. The cut off time is mainly in place if i need to use it and also bc i dont want drop offs all morning. Once we start our day, i dont like interuptions, and drop off/puck up times stress me out for some reason, so i just keep that timeframe short.
midaycare 10:16 AM 12-09-2016
Yup. My dcb who comes late is late because they keep him up late and let him sleep all morning. When he wakes up, he comes over. That's 10-10:30. Then he doesn't nap for me and keeps everyone awake.

BC's method (not calling you out, I just know it's what you do) of calling dcf's for pickup would cause me to lose a client. Letting late dropoff but calling for early pickups would get me a 2 weeks notice.

I've never denied parent/child time. In my experience, most dcf's don't want it.

When ds was in child care, I had one day with a 11:00 start. We spent those mornings playing, going out to breakfast. Those were the best! Fond memories
Play Care 10:21 AM 12-09-2016
I have a cutoff time as well. I am clear about this during the interview so a parent can decide if that policy works for them.
I'd prefer it if a family read the contract and decided not to sign if they didn't agree with or think a policy will work for them (and I empansize that several times during the interview)

Truthfully it's not much of an issue here because day care is mainly used by working parents. Kids are usually here at the same each day because parents need to be at work.
happymom 10:31 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
When ds was in child care, I had one day with a 11:00 start. We spent those mornings playing, going out to breakfast. Those were the best! Fond memories
I have this currently with my job and I love it, too. I also have an early off day where I get out at 3pm and pick up my kids and usually take them to the fun center or the library, zoo or the pool.

I designated both times as times just for the kids and not to take care of the house. Sometimes it's hard to find a balance and you are tempted to use the extra time to catch up on your chores. =(
NillaWafers 10:54 AM 12-09-2016
I think it is the lack of communication that bugs me. I know I shouldn't wait for her, but I do. I have a small group of kids so having one less kid makes it less fun for others.

He ended up dropping her off at TWELVE. She ended up being sent home an hour and a half later for being disruptive at nap (which is at 12 btw). I think the lack of routine helped with this, because in the past she has at least laid down and been quiet. This day she was up everytime I turned my back.

I let him know I need her dropped off at 9, and that I have a no-show no call policy. She showed up at 8:20 today so hopefully this points to them following policy (and maybe, they'll read their handbook LOL).
jacksmommy13 09:36 PM 01-06-2017
For those of you that don't have a cut off time. Do you ask the parents to text/call to let you know when they'll be there? I have a dcb that's scheduled at 7am, sometimes doesn't come until 9 or 10am.
The unknown of when he'll be here and the fact I get up early and get ready, only to sit and wait is getting upsetting. My other kiddos don't arrive until 8am. I could be sleeping in, working out, running to the grocery store....anything besides sitting and waiting for them to not show up.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by jacksmommy13:
For those of you that don't have a cut off time. Do you ask the parents to text/call to let you know when they'll be there? I have a dcb that's scheduled at 7am, sometimes doesn't come until 9 or 10am.
The unknown of when he'll be here and the fact I get up early and get ready, only to sit and wait is getting upsetting. My other kiddos don't arrive until 8am. I could be sleeping in, working out, running to the grocery store....anything besides sitting and waiting for them to not show up.
I don't have a cut off time but parents are still required to give me a written schedule a week in advance so I know exactly when they are arriving. I don't wait for anyone. If they don't show up I am still paid so that doesn't bother me at all other than no shows with no communication is disrespectful and rude.

If a parent schedules at 7:00 but doesnt call saying they are going to be later or absent, that's their one free pass. The next time there is no communication, I'd term. I can't work with families that aren't working with me.

I cringe though when providers complain about this from a personal stance. I think this is a business issue not about whether the provider can sleep in or not. But that's just me. I treat my business as a business and don't make or take anything personal. Its my key to longevity and avoiding burn out.
daycare 08:33 AM 01-07-2017
I think what is funny is that parents will take a brick and mortar school serious, but not us.

I have parents complain and get upset that I won't let them drop off right in the middle of our preschool session. Of course, I try to be flexible and I try to work with parents when I can, but not when you have 17 families enrolled. This is why I have suggested that the end of the day is the best time to make appointments, best time to pick up early and not set confusion in the child's day. What child does not like to get surprised and get picked up early. YOu should see the smile on their face when they do.

Every day someone has something going on. One family wants to come later because they have a dental appointment, another family doesn't have to be at work until 10am and wants to have morning play time and drop off later. Already that is two kids in one day that WE providers all know that this is going to be out of routine for the child, which equals throwing screaming tantrum at their arrival. Now I have to stop preschool, tend to the screaming child, try to get the parent to leave, try to manage the rest of the kids in care that are upset by the screaming child, OH HOW I COULD GO ON ABOUT THIS......Kids are NOT flexible.

Our public school system requires you are at school during the time attendance is taken or no matter what you are ABSENT. So if you have a dental appointment in the morning and show up even 20 minutes late into school, you are absent. Try explaining that to your child when they want perfect attendance.

I also agree with BC, those who arrive late, struggle to nap because they slept in and are not tired.

Calling a parent to come get them really is the only way that the parent will get an eye opener and STOP trying to create their own schedule that does not flow with their child or the childcare program.

I tell parents when they enroll, I am a very easy going person and will try to do all I can to be helpful. BUT, if I see that it is affecting your child or our program in any way that is not positive, I will not do it. This includes being dropped off later. Parents may not realize this, but children will only fee safe when they know what to expect to happen next. There is no greater fear than not knowing what to expect will happen next.

Imagine you as an adult, you don't know where your next meal is going to come from to feed your children or how you are going to pay your mortgage or rent to keep a rood over your head. You probably stressed out, can't sleep, can't eat, or get anxiety. Now take that feeling and that is how your child feels when they don't have a consistent routine and know what to expect.

Sorry I went off a little....lol
JackandJill 09:26 AM 01-07-2017
I don't do a cut off time, and I guess in a lot of ways I don't care when they get dropped during the day.

The way I keep my sanity is that I charge for all my time that I work. If someone is scheduled for 7 but doesn't come until 7:50, I am getting paid. And I only take people when I want to, so I never think about "What I could be doing..." when they are running late. If they are late, I just enjoy the extra quiet time with coffee and a book on the parents dime

I also don't hold off any activities, if a child misses something because the parents are taking their time that morning, that's on the parents. I go about my day as scheduled. I also look at the flip side, that the kids are getting extra face time with mom and dad, which is much better that circle time with me!

And I have strict pick up policy, so if a child is dropped off near nap time, and can't sleep/is disruptive, parents know they will be called for pick up. I feel like a "pick up policy" is a cure all for bad habits, and gets parents to fall in line fastest
Play Care 03:18 AM 01-09-2017
I do have a cut off time, but if I didn't, I would no longer allow drop offs at that time since obviously no one needs it. I reserve the right to change my hours according to what clients are actually using. This way I'm not working additional hours on an already long work week. I would send out an update on the new changes, and leave it at that. If parents need a center that's open from 7-7 for their convenience, they need to find that option.

I also agree with not making it about your personal time. For me, my cut off time has to do with SAFETY. Parents tend to be more understanding/compliant about policy when you make it about their child's health and safety
Jupadia 05:48 AM 01-09-2017
I don't have a cut off time at the moment but if I had a later drop off that came disrupted to the other kids then I would install such a policy. I open at 7am but most days my first dose not get here till 730 am. If parents are ariving earlier then their normal a rival time I have them text. Also if they will be ariving later then their normal time. This way I don't make to much snack and also have an idea of when child will be arriving. We stay on site for the most part (I have a large backyatd with a playset swing set and a sandbox ect..) but do go for walks. If we are going for a walk I simply text parent and have them meet us on the walk just because one kids later I won't not do ghings with others. The same goes for activites but trust me most kids have complained to mom or dad if they wanted to do craft and it was already done that day and then are here before 9 most days. Also I have a small group of 5 (2 are mine) and little regulations to follow a set scedualde each day. So it's possible for me to be flexible.
Tags:drop off issues, drop off policy
Reply Up