Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I "make them" play together
gumdrops 05:58 AM 11-16-2018
DCB4 and DCG3 are playing with action figures. I have approx. 10 of them, so there's plenty to play with. DCG4, who does not get along with DCG3, asks them if she can play with them. DCG3 says "Nope" very matter of fact without hesitation. The next child in my care is just 2 yo, so there aren't any other kids her age. Do I tell them to "be nice and let everyone play" or let it go?
Gemma 06:13 AM 11-16-2018
Personally I would not force kids to play together, in this case I would give each kid 5 action figures, to play alone, then talk about how much more fun it would be IF they could share all 10 and play together
Cat Herder 06:20 AM 11-16-2018
I would not allow DCG3 to be a gatekeeper to play. I would have intervened prior to exclusion by setting up the center for 4, each having two figures (to include the two year old as well), the last two toys held back.

Do you only have 4 kids, total?
kendallina 06:32 AM 11-16-2018
In this situation I will ask the two playing kids how we can include the third in what they're doing. Maybe that's by giving #3 some action figures. Or by asking #3 to build the castle for the figures. Or something else?? I would remind them that it's important to include people. I struggle with them excluding #3 especially when there isn't anyone else there to play with. But I wouldn't 'force' them necessarily, I'd just try to have a conversation.

Now sometimes I've had a child who is likely to be destructive or annoying to a group of kids so I do try to make sure there are times when they can play without that child. But for the most part I try to send a message of including others.

There are also times when a child wants to play by themselves, which is totally fine but they're not allowed to play with all of the toys themselves
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Personally I would not force kids to play together, in this case I would give each kid 5 action figures, to play alone, then talk about how much more fun it would be IF they could share all 10 and play together
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not allow DCG3 to be a gatekeeper to play. I would have intervened prior to exclusion by setting up the center for 4, each having two figures (to include the two year old as well), the last two toys held back.

Do you only have 4 kids, total?
This is how I manage things too.

I don't make kids play together ever but I do alot to be proactive and set things up in a way that sharing/playing together isn't necessary but the availability of materials and toys is plentiful for all.

Parallel play is perfectly fine.
Reply Up