Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would Cause You To Take A Sick Day?
sahm2three 03:40 AM 08-30-2012
I was awoken by a raging bladder infection at 2 AM after not sleeping well anyways, and am not pretty miserable. My bladder is throbbing and I have done everything I can to ease the symptoms, but am miserable and know I am going to be exhausted and worthless today. I am half tempted to call in sick, but I know part of it is being down about my baby starting kindergarten. But with all the kids here, not sure how I am going to get in to the doctor to get treatment. What would you do?
Crazy8 04:12 AM 08-30-2012
honestly, I never take sick days. I have closed unexpectedly probably less than 3-4 times in 11 years and most were due to things like my father having a heart attack in the middle of the night, my sister in laws funeral, etc.
I guess I'm lucky in that I've never been THAT sick that I need to close, my pain tolerance is pretty high though and I've always just been able to muddle thru the day and get a 5-6pm appointment.
Countrygal 04:42 AM 08-30-2012
I think I would try to schedule an appointment for late in the day and just close early, not entirely. I realize sometimes people can't come early, but at least you have tried to accommodate them. We all need to see the doctor occasionally. I had a bladder/kidney infection with a fever running over 103 and I couldn't do ANYTHING. My parents were very understanding. I had to close for three days and it was only a couple of months after I opened.

IMO, if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of anyone. Most parents will probably act "put out", but I think deep down that most parents will also understand. We have a terrible mindset in this country that the "job" and "work" is more important than anything, even our health. I think this is way out of sync. My outlook has always been "God, family, work" in that order. (I am included in "family" ) When my own child was in daycare, I just understood that it was part of having kids in daycare. There are a plethora of problems associated with having children in daycare, and provider getting sick is just one of them. Shoot! I've even known of CENTERS that had to close due to things like something that happened that required the center to be totally disinfected, or even an epidemic of the flu! Everyone needs to close occasionally. My motto is that if I have to close, I'll do everything I can to get open ASAP.
Mom&Provider 04:59 AM 08-30-2012
IMO I'd rather keep my child home then send him/her to my providers home if she wasn't well and was questioning if she could provide her usual care. Not saying that you are incapable, just saying that I know how much work it can be, and when you aren't well, it makes it harder - then again I'm a provider so know what it's like, sometimes parents don't realize the extent of work going into caring for children and therefore might be upset!?

You need to do what you feel is best for you. As providers will always feel the need to be open EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and while I do agree to a point, if you clearly have an infection it also needs attention since leaving it alone could mean you will be forced to close if it gets worse!

Hope you feel better soon!!
SilverSabre25 05:03 AM 08-30-2012
Bladder infection...yeah i'd probably close, if only because they make me impossibly miserable. Not that I get them often, but rare is often enough for me. My last one was when I was pregnant two years ago.

Otherwise, I have only ever called in sick once, when I was only scheduled to have one dcb that day--DH, DD, and DS all threw up within ten minutes of each other (one of them twice!) at 3 AM and I called dcm to let her know. Turned out that it wasn't really a call off when dcb threw up an hour and a half later! Even DCM agreed that at that point, it didn't count :P
AfterSchoolMom 05:25 AM 08-30-2012
Don't put off going to the Dr. if you can help it...even if you have to close early. I'm prone to bladder infections myself, and if left unchecked, they can become kidney infections and cause you to be VERY ill. I'd think parents would rather pick up early one afternoon than try to find alternate care for several days in a row because you let it go too long!

Hope you feel better soon!
laundrymom 05:34 AM 08-30-2012
Are bladder inf's common? I've never had one. Or a Iti, or anything really. I've only closed from food poisoning. I couldn't come out of the potty.
SquirrellyMama 05:40 AM 08-30-2012
I've never had a bladder infection but I think I would close for one and get to the doctor. Get an antibiotic early so you are feeling better for tomorrow.

I hope you feel better soon.

K
NiNi.R. 06:29 AM 08-30-2012
I always look at it this way. If a DCK had the symptoms I have would I send them home?

I don't take very many sick days at all but I do use them when I need to. How can we expect parents to follow our health policy and guidelines if we don't do so ourselves.
lindysmiles 10:39 AM 08-30-2012
This is why I love the Walgreens Take Care Clinics! I love that I can make an appt for 6 p.m., without the charge of a urgent care. I actually had to go Monday after the last dcb was picked up for a clogged tear duct that got infected. Started antibiotics that night, and felt WAY better by Tuesday morning. My eye now looks almost back to normal, which is great because they were talking about hospital admission for IV antibiotics. (It started Saturday and by Monday evening had turned into cellulitis.) Please get seen quickly! Bladder infections are no joke, and can become very serious if left untreated...do you have the Walgreens or Kroger clinics near you? They are amazing! Hugs!
Countrygal 10:43 AM 08-30-2012
Wow! what are the Walgreen's take care clinics? I've never heard of them. To my knowledge they don't have them here...... They sound really nice!
Country Kids 01:16 PM 08-30-2012
We don't have those here either! Sounds like it would be nice.
saved4always 02:12 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by lindysmiles:
This is why I love the Walgreens Take Care Clinics! I love that I can make an appt for 6 p.m., without the charge of a urgent care. I actually had to go Monday after the last dcb was picked up for a clogged tear duct that got infected. Started antibiotics that night, and felt WAY better by Tuesday morning. My eye now looks almost back to normal, which is great because they were talking about hospital admission for IV antibiotics. (It started Saturday and by Monday evening had turned into cellulitis.) Please get seen quickly! Bladder infections are no joke, and can become very serious if left untreated...do you have the Walgreens or Kroger clinics near you? They are amazing! Hugs!
In my area, some CVS drugstores have a Minute Clinic that is walk-in and open weekends and evenings. I think it is a nurse practitioner, not a doctor on site but I beleive they are affiliated with Cleveland Clinic or something like that. It is great for diagnosing things like strep, ear infections, stuff like that. They also do sports physicals, I believe.
SilverSabre25 02:17 PM 08-30-2012
So what did you end up doing? Did you get to the doc?
saved4always 02:19 PM 08-30-2012
I haven't ever had a bladder infection, but I did have a urinary tract infetion (UTI) once. It was on the weekend so I didn't have to call off, but I would have if it had been on a weekday. That was miserable! I was lucky that my doctor prescribed over the phone that Saturday so I didn't have to suffer too long.

I didn't close for my own illness very often. In 8 years of doing in home childcare, I remember closing once because I had the worst headache I had ever had wake me up at 2 a.m. By morning, it hurt so much to move my head that I texted all my dcf's and closed. Other than that, I think most closures were due to a child's illness. I would usually let my dcf's know about what was going on with my sick child and they would decide whether to expose thier kids. Usually, they would find alternate care with my best friend down the street or with a family member. I would call in for sure if I was vomitting or had bad diarrhea...probably for a fever, too, although I cannot remember the last time I had a fever.
nanglgrl 04:06 PM 08-30-2012
A couple of years ago I wanted to call in sick but didn't but I informed all of my parents that I wasn't well so only one child came that day. I wanted to close but one if my mims was a single mother who was trying hard and her work was very strict. My ear hurt and had kept me up the night before, i was exhausted. I told the parent that we would likely just be cuddling on the couch and watching cartoons in our pajamas. It just happened that I had an unannounced food program visit that day, I looked like death and almost as soon as they arrived I started getting a horrible pain in my ears that brought me to my knees. I went to urgent care that night and found out that I had an inner and outer ear infection and that both of my ear drums had burst. To top it off I had a fever of 103 and strep throat. Now I always close if I'm not feeling well!
daycare 04:09 PM 08-30-2012
If I were dying or one of my house members....otherwise I would stay open and work or call in someone to come and help me...

True..
Country Kids 04:18 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
If I were dying or one of my house members....otherwise I would stay open and work or call in someone to come and help me...

True..
This is true-ask her about her little episode last spring! I was not very happy with her-
Country Kids 05:37 PM 08-30-2012
Here is how I know if I need to take a sick day. If I can't get out of bed to make my kids breakfast and get ready I know for a fact that I can't be taking care of little ones that need constant supervision.

This spring I woke up one day with a sinus infection that lasted through 3-4 prescriptions. It literally put me in bed for about 8 days (thats including weekends). I was at the doctors twice in two days because it was so bad. One day I slept for like 14-16 hours. Guess what-my body was just so run down that I couldn't fight it off. I had to many germs coming in my house, I was working 55 hour weeks, my body just said enough!

So if I can't get out of bed to get ready and get my kids up and ready then I know I'm not good for anything. It would scare me to think of my own provider trying to take care of kids when she is barely able to get up and around.
lindysmiles 06:20 PM 08-30-2012
Walgreens Take Care Clinics and Kroger's clinics are staffed by Nurse Practitioners and/or Physician's Assistants. They do all day plus late evening (until 8 p.m. I believe), holiday and Saturdays and Sundays. Illnesses, vaccines, sports/school physicials, etc. When I went on Monday evening, the NP asked what I did, and I told her in-home childcare. She said she sees lots of providers in the evenings because none of us can ever see our regular doctors! What's truly hysterical about it is that this is a recurrent infection for me - and one that my primary care Physician misdiagnosed. The NP got the diagnosis right the first time, so the antibiotics were right the first time. So instead of having to deal with this close to a month like last year and missing some serious work days, this time I was feeling much better in less than 12 hours. NP's are worth their weight in gold to me! I hope this becomes a nation wide thing! Y'all would love it!
Daycarelady1979 08:30 PM 08-30-2012
This Monday was my 2nd ever sick day in almost 9 years! I woke up in a great mood, felt fine, showered, went about my business as usual...
While I was outside waiting for the school bus to come I started feeling very dizzy. After the big kids went to school I came back inside the house to chat with a friend while the little kids were playing. I got up to get a cookbook for my friend & I was SO DIZZY! It was horrible! The friend left & my final kid came around 9. I held it together, until...
About 5 minutes later I was vomiting in the kitchen sink. I took the trash can with me & sat in the living room (in front of the kids) & vomited 2 more times. The room was spinning & I was dripping wet with sweat. I immediately asked (via text) for 2 of the parents to come back & get their kids, which they did. Luckily ~thank God~ my husband was able to leave work & come home to help me until my last 2 kids could go home. I slept for an hour, woke up freezing cold, checked on my husband & kids...and went back to sleep. I could have slept forever. It was crazy! Later that day I did have a mild fever.
I felt horrible for needing to send the kids home but I really didn't have a choice. My head was spinning so bad, I couldn't see straight. Every sound & every smell made me gag. I have no idea what it was...but I hope I never experience it again!!
Crazy8 06:32 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
This Monday was my 2nd ever sick day in almost 9 years! I woke up in a great mood, felt fine, showered, went about my business as usual...
While I was outside waiting for the school bus to come I started feeling very dizzy. After the big kids went to school I came back inside the house to chat with a friend while the little kids were playing. I got up to get a cookbook for my friend & I was SO DIZZY! It was horrible! The friend left & my final kid came around 9. I held it together, until...
About 5 minutes later I was vomiting in the kitchen sink. I took the trash can with me & sat in the living room (in front of the kids) & vomited 2 more times. The room was spinning & I was dripping wet with sweat. I immediately asked (via text) for 2 of the parents to come back & get their kids, which they did. Luckily ~thank God~ my husband was able to leave work & come home to help me until my last 2 kids could go home. I slept for an hour, woke up freezing cold, checked on my husband & kids...and went back to sleep. I could have slept forever. It was crazy! Later that day I did have a mild fever.
I felt horrible for needing to send the kids home but I really didn't have a choice. My head was spinning so bad, I couldn't see straight. Every sound & every smell made me gag. I have no idea what it was...but I hope I never experience it again!!
sounds like it could be vertigo???? You should still get checked out!
Unregistered 07:10 AM 08-31-2012
Most cities have some form of urgent care clinics aka After-hours clinics that are like the Walgreens clinics you mention. The Walgreens clinics are not in most of states, like Oregon where I'm located, that do have Walgreens stores. Just check in your area and I'm willing to bet you have an after-hours clinic somewhere nearby.
I agree that Bladder infections are very serious. If left untreated, it can lead to a kidney infection which is very bad.
Having said that, I've had enough bladder infections that I know when one is coming on and I can just call my Dr. and they call me in a Rx for antibiotics which my husband picks up and brings to me so I don't have to close the daycare. (That was a long sentence, sorry)
Anyway, take care!!
sahm2three 09:39 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
So what did you end up doing? Did you get to the doc?
I didn't end up closing. I toughed it out and called my doctors office right away and they didn't get back to me until right before they were closing (they closed at 1) and asked if I could come in for a UA. I told them I couldn't because all the kids were lying down and I didn't want to wake them to come in. Doc called me in a prescription because I have had plenty of UTI's and knew for sure that's what this was and I just ran a urine sample in this morning and had one of my daycare moms stay with the kids for the 10 mins it took. I am feeling much better this morning. Mine always seem to hit at night so I got almost no sleep the night before, so I am still quite tired and feel run down, but much better. I am glad today is Friday and it's a 3 day weekend. I don't get sick often, thank goodness. And I think I have only closed once since I have been open because I was sick. So I really thought about it, but decided to just tough it out. Thank you all!
momofboys 09:49 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I didn't end up closing. I toughed it out and called my doctors office right away and they didn't get back to me until right before they were closing (they closed at 1) and asked if I could come in for a UA. I told them I couldn't because all the kids were lying down and I didn't want to wake them to come in. Doc called me in a prescription because I have had plenty of UTI's and knew for sure that's what this was and I just ran a urine sample in this morning and had one of my daycare moms stay with the kids for the 10 mins it took. I am feeling much better this morning. Mine always seem to hit at night so I got almost no sleep the night before, so I am still quite tired and feel run down, but much better. I am glad today is Friday and it's a 3 day weekend. I don't get sick often, thank goodness. And I think I have only closed once since I have been open because I was sick. So I really thought about it, but decided to just tough it out. Thank you all!
I have UTIs frequently (maybe 1x a year???) & they are very tough to deal with mostly b/c I have to pee constantly!!! It's hard to watch kids properly if you have to go to the bathroom every 45 min! Glad to hear you are feeling better!
sahm2three 11:06 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I have UTIs frequently (maybe 1x a year???) & they are very tough to deal with mostly b/c I have to pee constantly!!! It's hard to watch kids properly if you have to go to the bathroom every 45 min! Glad to hear you are feeling better!
That's about how often I get them too. Problem is, I have a really rough time getting rid of mine.
lindysmiles 11:14 AM 08-31-2012
Glad you are on your way to feeling better! Hope you can take it easy tomorrow, and catch up on some sleep. {{{{hugs}}}} TGIF!
Tags:sick day - reasons, sick days
Reply Up