Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ask Potential Clients For ID's At Interview?
rmc20021 09:13 PM 04-19-2013
I am in a childcare group on facebook and someone posted on there that they had an interview with a parent and the potential mom showed up and insisted on going through every room of her home.

DCP told this person that there were areas which dck's are not allowed and had those areas (primarily bedrooms) gated off with a child gate.

The potential client proceeded to step over the gate and went into the provider's daughters bedroom. Ok, 1st red flag...GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

Next however, this person started opening her daughters dresser drawers and opening her daughters closet doors. 2nd red flag...I WILL CALL THE POLICE IF YOU DON'T LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

So, this potential client showed up at providers home for a tour...with NO CHILD. 3rd red flag...I AM CALLING THE POLICE AS SOON AS YOU LEAVE MY HOME.

To me, this sounds as though this person had something else in mind other than possibly childcare. It almost sounds as though they were scoping the house out for a potential robbery or something. SCARY!!!!

So, I have decided that since hearing of this incident I am going to start requesting any potential client to show an ID when they arrive at my home.
In these days and times, you really never know who you're letting in the door...espcially if they show up for childcare without a child.

Does anyone else request parents to provide ID when they interview????
Sprouts 10:31 PM 04-19-2013
Daycares are a magnet for wierdos, I ALWAYS check IDS, if i am letting these people into my home, i need to know who they are,

I used to feel uncomfortable about asking them for this, but you know what, better safe then sorry...I let them know "please bring a drivers lisence upon entering" when they enter, i ask to see it, I read it, take my time, look at the picture, look at them...i dont care if they think I am crazy...I dont live in a small town where everyone knows each other...and I am in charge of keeping my family safe and the children I care for safe....
providerandmomof4 11:58 PM 04-19-2013
This is a policy that i really hadn't considered but i think its a good idea.
Starburst 12:17 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Daycares are a magnet for wierdos, I ALWAYS check IDS, if i am letting these people into my home, i need to know who they are,

I used to feel uncomfortable about asking them for this, but you know what, better safe then sorry...I let them know "please bring a drivers lisence upon entering" when they enter, i ask to see it, I read it, take my time, look at the picture, look at them...i dont care if they think I am crazy...I dont live in a small town where everyone knows each other...and I am in charge of keeping my family safe and the children I care for safe....
That is something to keep in mind for the future.

At my school's daycare the director said that they keep a photo copy of the parent's ID and the child's birth certificate on file. And, of course, if they are unfamiliar with someone who is picking up a child they request that they see their ID before releasing the child to them, and they MUST be at least 18 years old- they let it be known up front that they don't release the DCKs to minors (may be different if the minor is the child's parent).

But yeah asking for ID could be very useful because there could be times when they lie about their names. If their name is hugely different than what is on their ID (not including obvious short versions or common nicknames, like if they say their name is "Peggy" and on their ID it says "Marguerite") that would be a big reflag that something is up.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 04-20-2013
I think requiring an ID is hugely dependent on where you live.

If you live in a large metropolis area where you don't know others as well as those living in a smaller town or rural community, then I can see how asking for an ID would be something within the norm.

I live in a community where someone always knows someone who knows someone else pretty closely.

The initial phone call to inquire about care and to set up an interview is also a good time to ask questions. Where did you get my number, has your child been in daycare before, what school do your children go to, where do you work.

ALL those things allow me to get to know the person.

I have looked up a person's criminal and civil court history on our state's website. I can find out criminal, civil and court judgment histories.

I haven't had any issues of being worried or nervous about a potential client so I am grateful for that.
MyAngels 07:41 AM 04-20-2013
I've never asked for ID, but 99% of the people I interview are referrals from someone I already know.

The only time I ever had a concern about someone I interviewed they had been sent by the CCRRN, but it turned out they were just a weirdo, not a dangerous criminal .
Laurel 09:14 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I am in a childcare group on facebook and someone posted on there that they had an interview with a parent and the potential mom showed up and insisted on going through every room of her home.

DCP told this person that there were areas which dck's are not allowed and had those areas (primarily bedrooms) gated off with a child gate.

The potential client proceeded to step over the gate and went into the provider's daughters bedroom. Ok, 1st red flag...GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

Next however, this person started opening her daughters dresser drawers and opening her daughters closet doors. 2nd red flag...I WILL CALL THE POLICE IF YOU DON'T LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

So, this potential client showed up at providers home for a tour...with NO CHILD. 3rd red flag...I AM CALLING THE POLICE AS SOON AS YOU LEAVE MY HOME.

To me, this sounds as though this person had something else in mind other than possibly childcare. It almost sounds as though they were scoping the house out for a potential robbery or something. SCARY!!!!

So, I have decided that since hearing of this incident I am going to start requesting any potential client to show an ID when they arrive at my home.
In these days and times, you really never know who you're letting in the door...espcially if they show up for childcare without a child.

I never thought to do that but its not a bad idea.

I do have a policy though that I never interview while daycare children are here and I always have my husband or adult son with me when I do an interview....for protection.

I understand if they want to come and see me interact with the children so I tell them that the first interview needs to be in the evening and they can come back again during the day, another day, if they wish. Only one has ever taken me up on that. That way I can at least sense if they are legit before I let them around daycare children.

I had one weirdo call who 'insisted' he come over while the other children were there. He mentioned a wife but he sounded off. So I explained the policy above and he started getting upset. So I told him I'm sure he could understand that if HIS child were here he wouldn't want me to let strangers in the house with HIS child here. He just continued to rant on so I hung up. Thank goodness I said No.

Once a grandpa came to pick up and I think I had met him once but didn't remember what he looked like. I asked him for I.D. before I released the child and he was impressed that I did that.

Laurel
preschoolteacher 10:09 AM 04-20-2013
BlackCat, would you mind giving me that link you use to look up criminal records? I too have wondered about maintaining safety when I invite people over for tours and interviews.
LaLa1923 11:39 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:

What group are you in? I'd love to be apart of one!

I hope she told her to leave!
BBDC 01:38 PM 04-20-2013
If I lived in a bigger town I probably would. But who knows now a day probably a good idea!
e.j. 03:47 PM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've never asked for ID, but 99% of the people I interview are referrals from someone I already know.
The same is true for me. I can't imagine having someone come into my home and do what this woman did to that provider. Definitely would concern me enough to wrap up the interview as quickly as possible and walk her out to her car so I could get a license plate # just in case.
mrsnj 08:07 AM 04-22-2013
I had a DCP who did that (wasn't an interview). Walked through my house when I was talking with another DCP at drop off. Went in rooms, closets and drawers. When I confronted her she said if her child is in my house, she has the right to go anywhere and look anywhere she wants. I termed on the spot. Completely over stepped.

In the case of an interview, I require the child to come with them. I agree. There are freakos out there! No child....no interview. I also make sure someone else is here for an interview. I don't interview alone. I advertise on Craigslist...let me tell you some of the weird interviews!! Owe! If possible, I google their information to make sure they are in the neighborhood. If not, I am very careful on what info I give. If my gut says red flag, I use my cell for contact and won't give my address until I am 100% sure it is a fit.

No I dont ask for ID on an interview but I don't see anything wrong with it either. But just remember....just cause you looked at their ID won't stop them from being weirdos! LOL! That isn't listed on the photo id here anyway! LOL!
Reply Up