Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Out Of Control Shivers?
Sprouts 11:51 AM 06-17-2013
I watch a 1 year old dcb, and I have noticed him have little shaking fits here and there (when I wipe his face, or when he's upset) but today when he woke up I went to get him , and he was shaking uncontrolably, to the point where I was contemplating calling 911 because I thought he was having a seizure. Now as I think about it, since its cooler in my daycare space he might have woken up an gotten the shivers when he sat up and his blanket came off. But it did not look normal , I have never seen shivers like that...any ideas or thoughts?
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 06-17-2013
I have several kids that do it periodically.

I think it's normal and most the kids I have that have done it only did it a couple times and only for a few seconds.

Some one once told me it is "pee shivers"

Here's a blog/forum about it.... http://www.mamapedia.com/article/2-s...f-18-month-old

I have seen many kids do it though over the years and none of them had anything serious develop late on or from it so I don't know, I guess I would just watch it and maybe document when it happens and what you are doing when it happens...just in case.
AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 06-17-2013
I would mention it to mom, just in case it is a seizure.
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:51 PM 06-17-2013
I was told by an DCM that is an RN that this happens because of immature nerve endings and totally normal. I've seen it happen when small children of all ages first wake up, so it must be something going on between the brain and nerves upon waking. I've also seen tremor-like jitters in the older babies when they cry for an extended period and are seriously ticked off (like waiting for a bottle to warm!).
Meyou 12:53 PM 06-17-2013
I have a DCB that shakes hard like he's shivering when he is woken up from a nap. His doctor said it was normal and it passes in a few seconds.
Sprouts 09:37 AM 06-18-2013
so yes I actually called mom right away after it happened she spoke with her ped and they said its common to shake, but just keep an eye on it.

I have seen other children that I care for shake as well upon waking up, but I have never seen shakes like this it looked like he was having a seizure...with out the eye rolling, it was bazaar. Hopefully its just nothing, I did put a long sleeve shirt on him today so when he wakes it wont be such a shock maybe. I will just keep my eyes on him .
daycarediva 10:09 AM 06-18-2013
My dcb does this when waking up (will last a good 1-2 minutes) and everytime he pees. He looks super cold for a few, and then it passes. Dcm told me when I asked her, and she herself STILL does it. Their pediatrician isn't concerned.
Tags:pee shivers, shiver
Reply Up