Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank you!
VTMom 04:35 PM 07-30-2015
After 5 1/2 years of having a home daycare, I've closed shop as of today!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, sharing and understanding. Although I haven't been the most frequent poster, I've learned so much from you all.

Thank you! You have my respect and admiration.
Shell 06:46 PM 07-30-2015
Aww, I'm closing next week after 5 years and feel the same as you!
midaycare 06:49 PM 07-30-2015
May I be nosy and ask why you are closing? I notice that daycare seems to have a high burnout rate...
midaycare 06:50 PM 07-30-2015
And congrats on the next phase of your life!
VTMom 08:20 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
May I be nosy and ask why you are closing? I notice that daycare seems to have a high burnout rate...
My own kids are now 8 and 10 and have outgrown the whole daycare at home bit. After school, they often go to their own rooms and play by themselves, which really bums me out. As they get older, their afterschool commitments increase, and I found we would be walking out of the house with the last DCKs to make it to practice, games, recitals, etc and still be late. In addition to that, for the past 2 years I've been fantasizing about what my house would look like without a daycare in it! I'm done. I've started to become disgruntled with everything. It's been a long time coming. It was the right thing to do at the right time for us, but that time is over. Going forward, I've been offered a paraprofessional position in the local school, so I'm in line with my kids' schedule. Less pay, but also way fewer hours.
spedmommy4 08:21 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Oh yeah. I am loving my job now but I am long range planning for opening my own center. I think, in the long run, I may burn out eventually too.

My top five burn out causes would be:
* living at my job (the toys in all our available storage is my hubby's pet peeve right now)
* loooong hours
* parents who can't, don't, won't read anything I send home.
* other people's kids bodily fluids on my carpet, floor, table,etc.- sometimes the ick factor is way up there. I had a two year old with a stomach bug this week so that's still fresh in my mind.
* and never ending potty training. I want to be done assisting with potty trips and training at some point.
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 07-31-2015
Good for you!!! Enjoy your new way of life!
bklsmum 03:31 AM 07-31-2015
Congrats! Good luck with your new adventure!
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
After 5 1/2 years of having a home daycare, I've closed shop as of today!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, sharing and understanding. Although I haven't been the most frequent poster, I've learned so much from you all.

Thank you! You have my respect and admiration.
Sad to see another good provider leaving the business but hoping you enjoy everything the future has to offer you!!
Reply Up