Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have A Loft?
DaycareMama 09:44 AM 11-15-2011
I am thinking about creating a loft so my older kids can have a "quiet retreat". I have an area in mind in my room but im wondering how much space is enough from the floor of the loft to the ceiling of the room? Do they need to be able to stand or just sit and play comfortably?

If I can find my tape measure I will measure the height of the area. From the base of the area to the ceiling is 29 inches.....To small?
countrymom 10:30 AM 11-15-2011
would love too, dh would not be impressed, my own children would love it.
small_steps 10:30 AM 11-15-2011
I don't have one but I want one so bad. I need to find some plans and make that a "project" and get it built. My ceilings are 8 foot so i was thinking I would leave about 4 ft below and that would leave close to 4 foot above. Roomy enough for some to walk around but they really don't need to walk around a lot of up there anyway. 29 inches would be enough for them to crawl around I guess. Can they sit up without bumping their heads?
DaycareMama 10:42 AM 11-15-2011
I think they could sit up? I will have to put my own DD up there during off hours and see. No way could she stand though.
Unregistered 11:13 AM 11-15-2011
I just built one last weekend! I made it 4x4, 50" high on the bottom and 32" to the ceiling on the top level. Not sure how to post a pic but i made it so that only the bigger kids can get up to the top level. I choose 4x4 so that I didnt have to do to many cuts on the plywood
DaycareMama 11:24 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just built one last weekend! I made it 4x4, 50" high on the bottom and 32" to the ceiling on the top level. Not sure how to post a pic but i made it so that only the bigger kids can get up to the top level. I choose 4x4 so that I didnt have to do to many cuts on the plywood
I would love to see it. With the 32 inches the bigger kids have enough room?
Unregistered 11:36 AM 11-15-2011
My oldest can sit in it (he's 5'2")
Childminder 11:42 AM 11-15-2011
I have one. My husband cut down a bunk bed to make it. I has the same width but the length is about 1/2 so it is square. The little ones use the lower section as a bedroom for the baby dolls. Gets a lot of play.
misspollywog 02:12 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have one. My husband cut down a bunk bed to make it. I has the same width but the length is about 1/2 so it is square. The little ones use the lower section as a bedroom for the baby dolls. Gets a lot of play.
I was just thinking about that as an option! What a great idea. It is now officially on my to-do list once we do the garage conversion.
DaycareMama 02:17 PM 11-15-2011
Thanks guys. I think im gonna smile at the hubby a little more at dinner tonight ..... and then say "ya know what would be great.................."
CheekyChick 02:27 PM 11-15-2011
I have wanted to build a loft for sooooooo long. For those of you who built one, what was the cost for materials??? I would also need to pay a carpenter since I don't have a hubby to do that. Does anyone have pics they could post?
countrymom 02:30 PM 11-15-2011
My oldest can sit in it (he's 5'2")
thats how tall I am
CheekyChick 02:45 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
thats how tall I am
Me too!!! Well, 5' 2 3/4's. LOL!!!
Unregistered 02:54 PM 11-15-2011
if someone tells me how to post a pic then I will share a pic of mine.
Michael 02:58 PM 11-15-2011
if someone tells me how to post a pic then I will share a pic of mine.
You would need to register in order to post pictures. That is the only way we can insure that undesirable photos are not spammed here. Here is the information to post pictures once a registered member.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12749
MamaBear 08:13 AM 11-16-2011
We have a loft and its great. We didnt build it though - the homes out here just happen to have them. I love it for my sons. They are 5 and 10 yrs old and they hang out on the loft, play video games and just a nice way for them to get "away" from the daycare kids The daycare kids are not allowed upstairs at all, so it definitely is a nice escape.
Tags:decor, playroom ideas
Reply Up