Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Made Fairy Mud This Morning
bklsmum 01:07 PM 07-13-2015
Took us about a hour to make it and the kiddos LOVED that and then they played with it for 3 HOURS and had to be forced to stop for lunch and naps and are now playing with it again! I want to make this stuff every darn day!
Michael 01:35 PM 07-13-2015
Thought I'd had every TAG covered. Made a new one for Fairy Mud.
Controlled Chaos 01:51 PM 07-13-2015
Recipe please!
childcaremom 01:54 PM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Recipe please!

And pictures
bklsmum 02:35 PM 07-13-2015
http://happyhooligans.ca/fairy-mud/

This is where I got it from. It is very simple even for the little ones and it cleans up very easily! You can also change up the colors and additions to it very easily too which is also nice.

Shell 03:38 PM 07-13-2015
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
mom2many 06:11 PM 07-13-2015
Fun! Can't wait to try this! Love ideas from happy hooligans! My kids will have a blast with this!
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 07-14-2015
Thanks so much for sharing this! My dcks have been into fairy everything this summer and this gives me more good ideas.
At the beginning of summer, we made a couple fairy planters and every day they pick the new flowers off to create something magical and fairyish outdoors. Lately they've been scraping chalk into our playsand to make fairy dust and sprinkling it everywhere. I have to chuckle when my dogs come in with chalk dust on them.
Pepperth 03:20 AM 07-14-2015
I am so adding ivory soap to my shopping list. This looks great!
bklsmum 03:59 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I am so adding ivory soap to my shopping list. This looks great!
Tip on the Ivory soap...don't grate it, microwave it. Put it on a microwave safe plate for 2 mins and let the kids watch. Do one at a time. It will expand huge but that is ok and the kids get a kick out of seeing it. Take it out and let it cool and then put it in a container and let them crumble it. It is SO much easier than grating and I think it dissolves easier in the water after too. I let my kids handle the soap first so they could see the changes in it.
Josiegirl 10:29 AM 07-14-2015
I have to say again, thanks so much for this! We did it this a.m. and it was so much fun for all of us! All 10 dcks and I pitched in to make it. Toilet paper was flying all over the play ground, kids took turns shredding the soap, we all had our hands in mixing, mushing, and gooshing it all up. Then I let 3 of the older dcks out front to pick some flowers to add.

It was a lot of fun!!
bklsmum 10:52 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have to say again, thanks so much for this! We did it this a.m. and it was so much fun for all of us! All 10 dcks and I pitched in to make it. Toilet paper was flying all over the play ground, kids took turns shredding the soap, we all had our hands in mixing, mushing, and gooshing it all up. Then I let 3 of the older dcks out front to pick some flowers to add.

It was a lot of fun!!
I am so glad you guys liked it! It was a sure win here too!
childcaremom 11:16 AM 07-14-2015
It's on my list for tomorrow

Thank you!
AmyKidsCo 01:26 PM 07-14-2015
I've heard it called Clean Mud - my kiddos LOVE it too!
Unregistered 03:46 PM 07-14-2015
I love the happy Hooligans blog

I'm not a scent sensitive person

In fact, I love scents....lotions, candles, essential oils, potpourri, etc.

We had fun unrolling the toilet paper

I couldn't get past the overwhelming ivory soap smell!

One of the few things like this that ever bombed for me!

I'm glad your kids are loving it!
Unregistered 07:02 AM 07-21-2015
I had the kiddos make it today as part of a birthday celebration for one of the girls. I had brought out 4 rolls (the cheapo brand from Safeway) of toilet paper for 3 girls, and I had grated one bar of soap, then let them do the half bar. I have some mixed reviews on this...first off, I didn't think there was enough toilet paper to make a decent amount of fairy mud. We ended up using all 4 rolls, extra colored water, and I still wouldn't think it was enough for all 3 of them to really do anything substantial with it. We used two types of glitter and seashells. They loved putting it all together...and then this is where we had a larger issue...out of 3 girls, only 1 of them wanted to play with it for an extended period of time! They were afraid of getting dirty! I couldn't believe it. I grew up in the country with gardens, etc., and I would have been laughed out of town. It's not like it was dirty or ugly. It was rose-colored glittery play dough, basically.

But they kept saying how they didn't want to get dirty, made "ew!" noises the whole time, etc. Luckily, the oldest girl, age 6, really got into it. It compelled her younger sister, age 4, to come back and try it again. But the birthday girl, age 4, refused to come back and play with it. I know it is from parental influence. They don't want their kids to get dirty (have had parents tell me they like bringing their kids here because we do stuff they just don't like to do at home...i.e. sand, play dough, science experiments, cooking time, etc.)

I keep telling them the wonderful thing about skin is that it can always be washed off right back to the way it was before they played. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sugaree 11:53 AM 07-21-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
Tip on the Ivory soap...don't grate it, microwave it. Put it on a microwave safe plate for 2 mins and let the kids watch. Do one at a time. It will expand huge but that is ok and the kids get a kick out of seeing it. Take it out and let it cool and then put it in a container and let them crumble it. It is SO much easier than grating and I think it dissolves easier in the water after too. I let my kids handle the soap first so they could see the changes in it.
I make my own laundry detergent and use this method for processing the soap for it. The first time I did it, it took weeks to get the smell of soap out of my microwave. It didn't affect the taste of anything I cooked, but the smell was definitely there. My husband made me buy a cheap, used microwave after that.
bklsmum 12:43 PM 07-21-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
I make my own laundry detergent and use this method for processing the soap for it. The first time I did it, it took weeks to get the smell of soap out of my microwave. It didn't affect the taste of anything I cooked, but the smell was definitely there. My husband made me buy a cheap, used microwave after that.
I make my own too and do the same thing with the Fels Naptha but the smell goes away right away for me. Weird.
Sugaree 07:04 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I make my own too and do the same thing with the Fels Naptha but the smell goes away right away for me. Weird.
It's probably my old microwave, but for weeks every time you used it you could smell Fels Naptha. Like the smell was coming out of the vents on the bottom. It never affected the food though. I didn't mind it, but it gave my husband headaches.
Tags:fairy mud
Reply Up