Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for providers
Unregistered 06:40 PM 01-27-2016
Curious if usually normal to charge for the same day twice? For example take paid day July 1st (Friday) in recognition for July 4 holiday but then take paid vacation July 4-8? Would that be considered personal day?
NoMoreJuice! 06:44 PM 01-27-2016
I, personally, would not have done that, but then I don't take paid vaca days. If your provider has a certain number of paid vacation days allowed in your contract, then I suppose there's no difference in saying that your provider took off one paid holiday and five paid vacation days.

What order those holiday/vacation days go in doesn't really matter, since it's the same number of days, right?
daycare 06:44 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Curious if usually normal to charge for the same day twice? For example take paid day July 1st (Friday) in recognition for July 4 holiday but then take paid vacation July 4-8? Would that be considered personal day?
for me it would be only one charge.

If I was taking off on the 4th of july and days following, July 4th would be used as a paid closed holiday and then the following days off would be used towards my paid closed vacation days.
Unregistered 06:50 PM 01-27-2016
Yes I guess I just have to communicate my concerns cause contract states total 31 paid days but lists 39 paid in yearly calendar. Thank you
daycare 06:54 PM 01-27-2016
Yes I guess I just have to communicate my concerns cause contract states total 31 paid days but lists 39 paid in yearly calendar. Thank you
your provider gets 31 paid days off, shoot I wish...lol
MunchkinWrangler 06:57 PM 01-27-2016
Maybe she made an honest mistake? Some holidays this year fall on the weekends, which I personally will take a Fri/Mon paid close but not charge for the weekend days that I normally have off anyway.
daycare 07:00 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Maybe she made an honest mistake? Some holidays this year fall on the weekends, which I personally will take a Fri/Mon paid close but not charge for the weekend days that I normally have off anyway.
I do have that policy that if the holiday falls on the weekend, I will take the day before the friday before or the monday after off with pay.
MunchkinWrangler 07:12 PM 01-27-2016
Also, I think the OP needs to read the contract. How many personal/vacation paid days does the provider take off. If a provider has a 52 week pay set up, then it wouldn't matter what vacations/holidays they are closed because pay would be based on enrollment not attendance, even if the provider is closed. I allow myself 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal/sick paid days. I think this allows me downtime and covers me in the eventuality that me or my family becomes ill or something unexpected comes up.
Unregistered 07:28 PM 01-27-2016
No absolutely I agree if falls on weekend then take day off during week. Contract states 5 personal, 5 sick, 11 holidays and 4 weeks vacation and 3 of those are paid. Which totals 31 not counting 5 sick cause you'd take that as needed, and 1 week not paid. I believe honest mistake not intentional. But calendar has 39 marked paid days throughout year. Do you think they would take offense if I brought it up?
Annalee 07:30 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Also, I think the OP needs to read the contract. How many personal/vacation paid days does the provider take off. If a provider has a 52 week pay set up, then it wouldn't matter what vacations/holidays they are closed because pay would be based on enrollment not attendance, even if the provider is closed. I allow myself 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal/sick paid days. I think this allows me downtime and covers me in the eventuality that me or my family becomes ill or something unexpected comes up.
I agree! I have a 52 week pay set up which covers my listed Holiday, Professional, Vacation, and Personal days....Emergency days are unlimited! I added this year in my contract "these are the days Ms. Xxxxx will be closed for 2016, but not limited to" because sometimes things come up and I don't won't to leave a loophole for clients. I close all school holidays, and take three extra days around Memorial Day/July 4/Labor Day, and close 3 days at Thanksgiving, and close Christmas through New years. I average 5-7 professional days a year and average 5 personal days a year! It took me a long time to get to where I am now but am so thankful I had mentors that helped me learn to take time for myself and my family!
MunchkinWrangler 07:47 PM 01-27-2016
No absolutely I agree if falls on weekend then take day off during week. Contract states 5 personal, 5 sick, 11 holidays and 4 weeks vacation and 3 of those are paid. Which totals 31 not counting 5 sick cause you'd take that as needed, and 1 week not paid. I believe honest mistake not intentional. But calendar has 39 marked paid days throughout year. Do you think they would take offense if I brought it up?
There's no harm in bringing it up. Absolutely! I personally encourage open communication with my families. That way you can have her clarify so you understand the days off. It doesn't sound like your upset about it but just confused as to why the days don't add up. Maybe she is taking extra days off for this calendar year and that will at least give her time to look it over and then make adjustments if she did mess up. I would personally think that she might be taking extra days and if she wants them paid, it's probably because she needs it for her income and expenses to make sure she can stay open.
AmyKidsCo 08:07 PM 01-27-2016
I don't think she's getting paid for the day twice, she's getting paid for the holiday (July 1) and 5 days of vacation (July 4, 5, 6, 7, 8). If she didn't take July as the holiday she'd be giving up a paid day.
daycare 05:57 AM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't think she's getting paid for the day twice, she's getting paid for the holiday (July 1) and 5 days of vacation (July 4, 5, 6, 7, 8). If she didn't take July as the holiday she'd be giving up a paid day.
Looking at it again, I agree. She is just using her paid closed holiday.
Unregistered 10:37 AM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I agree too. She could have taken July 4 then used July 5-8 & the 9th.
Thriftylady 11:03 AM 01-28-2016
I agree that she is taking the holiday and then using vacation. What I really think is I am not taking nearly enough days off!
Unregistered 01:51 PM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree that she is taking the holiday and then using vacation. What I really think is I am not taking nearly enough days off!
Me too!! Wow! I get 9 days!
Josiegirl 02:31 PM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Yes ditto this! And I felt guilty for taking off an extra 5 days at Christmas for vacation, which I haven't taken in at least 3 years. Wow.
Reply Up