Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Sprinkler Days A Week?
SunflowerMama 08:36 AM 07-14-2011
So we're in TX so rarely have a day that's not in the triple digits.

The kids of course LOVE sprinkler days but it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins. I know I should do it everyday b/c otherwise our outdoor time is so short because of the heat.

Just wondering how many times a week you do sprinklers or water play that involves getting them in swimsuits? I feel awful not doing it everyday but just dread the prep and cleanup...but I do love the post nap.
dEHmom 08:43 AM 07-14-2011
lots of times the kids just go out in a pair or shorts and a tshirt. they don't have to have bathing suits on. helps protect the skin too.

i always have a few extra shorts and t's for the little guys here, so I just change them before nap into a new outfit, let the other one dry, and send it home for a new one to come.
KEG123 09:33 AM 07-14-2011
I'd venture to say 2-3 days would be good.
nannyde 09:40 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:

The kids of course LOVE sprinkler days but it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins. I know I should do it everyday b/c otherwise our outdoor time is so short because of the heat.

Just wondering how many times a week you do sprinklers or water play that involves getting them in swimsuits? I feel awful not doing it everyday but just dread the prep and cleanup...but I do love the post nap.
We don't do water play.

The cost of getting eight kids undressed, sunscreened, dressed, and then undressed, dried, and redressed would be so high for me that I would have to raise rates.
laundrymom 09:48 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We don't do water play.

The cost of getting eight kids undressed, sunscreened, dressed, and then undressed, dried, and redressed would be so high for me that I would have to raise rates.
Why would this cost you money? Would you need additional staff ?
Here it is factored into our days. We don't do sprinklers because I hate them. Lol. But we do water tables and squirt bottles.
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 07-14-2011
We don't do water play.

I get 10 kids undressed, sunscreened, dressed and set up for sprinkler play in less than 20 minutes. They play in the sprinkler for about 60 minutes and then we are dried off, undressed, redressed and have the sprinkler put away all with in another 20 minutes. Easy peasy.... But it might just be the particular group I have right now. Ask this same question next summer and I might totally have a different answer for you.

Some of my older kiddos will actually come with their swimsuits on under their clothing (and pre-sunscreened too!) in anticipation for a hot day.

Maybe you could schedule sprinkler days and have the older ones come prepared.
Lucy 01:41 PM 07-14-2011
We don't do water play.

How does it literally "cost" you money? Aren't you making the same income whether you are in the house, out of the house, on a hike, or the kids are napping? If you mean paying an extra helper to come, that's one thing, but if it's at a time when your helper is already there, how does changing close "cost money"? Literally speaking?
CheekyChick 01:50 PM 07-14-2011

We do water play as often as the weather permits because the children LOVE it. Thankfully, I have an assistant to help get the children ready which is a huge process, as you know.

Just a thought... Why don't you ask your DP's (on really hot days) to bring their child to DC in their swimsuit with sunscreen on? They could even put on a sundress or shorts/t-shirt over the swimsuit. That would save you a ton of time.
CheekyChick 01:54 PM 07-14-2011
We don't do water play.

You would have to raise your rates if you let the children have water play? I'm not following you...
nannyde 02:27 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
You would have to raise your rates if you let the children have water play? I'm not following you...
The OP said "it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins."

I have as many as eight kids and PAY someone to do this.

If I have her doing what sunflower is talking about then she doesn't get the other tasks done that I hire her to do. If she doesn't get them done I have to pay her for additional hours of work. That cost me money.

My staff assistant does laundry, cleans, sorts, inspects and cleans toys, peels and chops food, does receipts, does some keyboard work, etc. etc. for the business. She does these while the kids are UP and playing toys. If she takes an hour and a half to set up/tear down, dress kids etc. AND supervise water play she doesn't have TIME to get the things done that she does while they are up and free playing.
wdmmom 02:37 PM 07-14-2011
I did water play a few times last year but the kids hated it and the work it took to make it happen, it just wasn't worth it to me. If the kids would have enjoyed it, I would have considered making it happen more.

Too much dressing and undressing and the added work of taking out, putting back the pools and sprinkler, the cost of water, the time it took for the water to get up to temperature and the additional laundry necessary was just too much to make it happen all the time.

Not to mention the new insurance carrier I have doesn't allow pools...not even wading pools. Apparently the see the risk is too high.
melskids 03:28 PM 07-14-2011
we have water play everyday.

i have 8 kids

3 are SA, so they take care of themselves....

the other 5...take me less then 15 minutes to change and sunscreen

most of my kiddos come in clothes they can get wet in, or even already in suits.

we stay out long enough to dry off naturally. then when we come in, its diaper changes anyway, so i strip them and redress them then. only adds a few extra minutes...no biggie for me
nannyde 03:48 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
we have water play everyday.

i have 8 kids

3 are SA, so they take care of themselves....

the other 5...take me less then 15 minutes to change and sunscreen

most of my kiddos come in clothes they can get wet in, or even already in suits.

we stay out long enough to dry off naturally. then when we come in, its diaper changes anyway, so i strip them and redress them then. only adds a few extra minutes...no biggie for me
Well if I could find a Staff assistant that was quick like you then I would reconsider

Oh wait... that staff assistant would be more expensive. That won't work.
Crystal 04:02 PM 07-14-2011
So, your staff assistant is busy doing other stuff.....is there a reason you cannot do it?
nannyde 04:03 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
So, your staff assistant is busy doing other stuff.....is there a reason you cannot do it?
I don't want to.
Crystal 04:19 PM 07-14-2011
I don't want to.
that makes sense.
nannyde 04:34 PM 07-14-2011
that makes sense.
The beauty of being 32 years in the biz is you get to pick and choose what you do.

BTDT on the "water" play. Spent many hundreds of hours doing it.

I'm over it.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:55 PM 07-14-2011
We do water day one day a week as a scheduled part of the week. All the parents know that on X day each week they bring swimsuits. It does take a long time to get them all dressed and sunscreened and then dried off and changed again afterward, but for me I consider it well worth it. The time it takes for them to dress (we have mostly children who can dress themselves this summer) and the time spent outside doing water activities, and then the time spent getting dressed again, means less time for the older children to be "bored" or have negative attitudes (because they love water day and are always so excited to do it. And I can always take away the priviledge for them, if we have problems before we go outside!). It cuts down on their water play time since it does take so long to get everyone ready, but I still think it's worth it for the little time they do get to spend outdoors and physically active. How old are your daycare children and how many do you have? Do you have any help? I'm sure I'd feel differently about it if I didn't have any help or if we had any more younger ones than we do!
Crystal 05:48 PM 07-14-2011
The beauty of being 32 years in the biz is you get to pick and choose what you do.

I'm over it.
Yes, I agree, that we can pick and choose what we want to do. I do that with lots of stuff.

Water play is something we do almost daily, but I don't do clothing changes, etc.....we use a water table and either take off shirts and shoes or wear smocks.
Abigail 06:35 PM 07-14-2011

I would do water tables on T/H and do sprinkler days on M/W/F. What time do you go outside? You should request parents bring the older children wearing swimsuits with a shirt/shorts over until it's time to go swim. Make sure they remember underwear and shoes for later in the day. Then you just need to put sunscreen on everyone. You would only have to dress the little ones into a suit....unless you can request the parents bring them in a suit.

Do you have suits left at your place or sent home each time? If you do have parents put suits on them to do outside water play before lunch time, I would make sure to have a spare set of clothes (complete) for all the kids incase they come in a suit and forget clothes for later. If you go outside within the hour or arrival, I would even ask the parent to put sunscreen on them when they arrive since you will put it on again in the afternoon if you go outside twice in a day. Sounds fair to me!
BusyBee 06:58 PM 07-14-2011
Some days I have 8 kids and get them out the door quickly with no issues, but most of them are able to get themselves mostly ready. When dressed they line up, get sunscreened and go play. So not a big deal--BUT we do ours at the end of the day and at the parent's agreement the kids go home wet. They all live close and do not care if they are wet.

I can see if you have to do it earlier in the day it would be a PITA!
SunflowerMama 07:06 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
How old are your daycare children and how many do you have? Do you have any help? I'm sure I'd feel differently about it if I didn't have any help or if we had any more younger ones than we do!
I have 9 with no assistant and they are 15 months - 5yr. 4 in diapers and the rest can pretty much dress themselves.

I keep their suits here but could probably ask for the kids to come screened in the morning and then I could re-apply after nap for our 2nd outdoor play time.

I don't use the spray sunscreen so I think that's why it may take me a little longer to get everyone screened and ready.
Country Kids 08:14 PM 07-14-2011
The OP said "it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins."

If I have her doing what sunflower is talking about then she doesn't get the other tasks done that I hire her to do. If she doesn't get them done I have to pay her for additional hours of work. That cost me money.

My staff assistant does laundry, cleans, sorts, inspects and cleans toys, peels and chops food, does receipts, does some keyboard work, etc. etc. for the business. She does these while the kids are UP and playing toys. If she takes an hour and a half to set up/tear down, dress kids etc. AND supervise water play she doesn't have TIME to get the things done that she does while they are up and free playing.
Please don't take this wrong Nanny but what do you do?
squareone 08:24 PM 07-14-2011
We do some form of water play one day a week - either sprinklers or pool. I have 6 kids and no assistant and let me tell you it such a PAIN PAIN PAIN getting the kids changed and sunscreened for the pool and then getting them dried off and redressed. 3 out of the 6 I have are plenty old enough that they should be able to handle themselves but unfortunately they always require some sort of assistance from me. Takes us about 30 minutes to get out the door. So, we spend more time dressing and redressing than we actually spend at the pool. Hardly seems worth it but the kids love it so I do it. I don't think I'd be able to handle more than 1 day a week though unless I had an assistant.
BusyBee 09:16 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I was wondering the same thing... Esp with the whole "go play toys" philosophy. Not being mean, but really wondering...
Lucy 10:11 PM 07-14-2011
Where's that "like" button when you need it???????

mac60 03:25 AM 07-15-2011
I used to do waterplay, but not anymore. I use to set up the sprinkler regularly, go thru the changing of the clothes, the sunscreen, all of the hassle involved in "waterplay", only to have them stand there and look at the sprinkler while it is running, not getting wet because it was "too cold", or else running thru it and being out of control only to slip and fall and cry, it got to be old. Some kids liked it, some hated it. Then it was my yard, it was trashed from waterplay. For all the hassle and tearing up of my yard, it no longer was worth it for a few minutes of water time. Plus, some of my families have pools, and a sprinkler can't even come close to the fun of a pool. And the biggest reason I quit doing it, parents simply would not remember to bring in extra clothes, a swimsuit, etc. I got tired of asking. Life in the summer is much easier without waterplay.
nannyde 04:43 AM 07-15-2011
I'm a national consultant for child care. http://daycarewhisperer.webs.com/ I currently consult with two centers by watching their cameras and training their staff. I have two other center contracts currrently working on their health policies. I do individual counselling for providers three to four times a week. I am currently working out an agreement with a radio station to do guest appearance on a radio show about children. That should start in the begining of August. (fingers crossed)

I have a home child care that operates twelve hours a day. I operate it by myself about five to six hours per day. I have staff for six to seven hours per day.

I also have a little gig on daycare.com https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/ where I write a blog and participate in this board.

I'm very busy.

Oh and I am doing a new venture called "Swap-a Mook" where I take WDMMom's perfect angel child for a week and then she takes my blue eyed devil son for a week. We'll see how that goes... I may start a fourth business.
CheekyChick 05:54 AM 07-15-2011

It seems your assistant is more like your personal assistant, rather than an assistant that works with the children. Why can't you ask the person who works "hands on" with the children at your center/home to do that task? It just wouldn't seem like summer if children weren't allowed to run through the sprinklers.

Edit: I just finished reading the rest of your responses... Without judgement, it seems your simple answer of "don't want to" or being "over it" (water play) wouldn't cut it with me if my child was in your care. Your DP's pay you good money to give their children a fun/normal summer, which should include some form of water play (sprinklers, slip and slide, water tables). Childhood memories are built around water play, popsicles, and eating pb&j's snuggled in warm blankets in the shade after a fun day in the sun. You should know this after being in the "business" for over 30 years.

Lastly, I have to assume you (or your staff) already spends the time applying sunscreen to the children before they play outside. Would it be that hard to simply throw a swimsuit on them? In my opinion, applying sunscreen is what is most time consuming.
Happy Daycare Worker 05:58 AM 07-15-2011
"My staff assistant does laundry, cleans, sorts, inspects and cleans toys, peels and chops food, does receipts, does some keyboard work, etc. etc. for the business. She does these while the kids are UP and playing toys. If she takes an hour and a half to set up/tear down, dress kids etc. AND supervise water play she doesn't have TIME to get the things done that she does while they are up and free playing."

Wow. I guess dc centers have different rules. We aren't allowed to anything BUT watch children that are under our care. I'm sure our parents would have a fit if we were caught on the computer instead of minding their kids. If other jobs need to be done, then we must bring in another asst (or our Director) to cover. When it comes to doing the daily sanitizing of toys or rooms... we can't even do that in the same room the children are present. It's done at the end of the day, once all children have left or are in another room. Maybe it's an insurance thing.

And no matter how hot it gets, our rules state that we must take the children outside every day. To force them out in sweltering temps & not let them cool down would be cruel, even dangerous. We aren't allowed to have pools, but do use water tables and sprinklers. It really doesn't take that much time... most come in w/suits & sunscreen already on. And it sure makes them good and tired come nap time!
nannyde 06:09 AM 07-15-2011
Your assistant is more like your personal assistant, rather than an assistant that works with the children? Why can't you ask the person who works "hands on" with the children at your center/home to do that task? It just wouldn't seem like summer if children weren't allowed to run through the sprinklers.
Well I could but she wouldn't be able to get the other parts of her job done at the same time.

I train my staff assistant to do BOTH direct physical care and supervision of the kids and the indirect care of the children (laundry, peeling/chopping/food program, sewing, sorting toys, cleaning toys, inspecting toys, rotating toys, cleaning the home etc.)

You said: It just wouldn't seem like summer if children weren't allowed to run through the sprinklers

I agree completely. They do these things with their parents. My kids have about five hours of AWAKE time per day with their parents. They have about four/five hours of summer sunlight when they get home from day care. The most I have a kid is a nine hour day. They are with their parents the rest of the time. They also have them on the weekends.

I agree that water play is a wonderful part of childhood and my kids get a ton of it with their parents.
kidkair 06:25 AM 07-15-2011
I fill buckets, cups, and other toys with water and let the kids play with water while outside. I rarely do the sprinkler and don't do a kiddie pool. The kids get plenty wet to stay cool with the water in the containers and yet dry off enough to come in for lunch. My house is usually the same temp inside as outside in the summer so there is little need to change anyone out of their wet clothes when coming in. I only change them if they are still dripping when we come in or if they complain. I like leaving them more covered up to limit the need for sunblock.
Kaddidle Care 06:38 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I get 10 kids undressed, sunscreened, dressed and set up for sprinkler play in less than 20 minutes. They play in the sprinkler for about 60 minutes and then we are dried off, undressed, redressed and have the sprinkler put away all with in another 20 minutes. Easy peasy.... But it might just be the particular group I have right now. Ask this same question next summer and I might totally have a different answer for you.

Some of my older kiddos will actually come with their swimsuits on under their clothing (and pre-sunscreened too!) in anticipation for a hot day.

Maybe you could schedule sprinkler days and have the older ones come prepared.
Well done Wonder Woman! I could never get all that done that quickly!

We have water days 2 x a week and the children come dressed in their suits with a bag with their play clothes in it. If we're lucky they have sunblock on too! Most of them can dress themselves when we come back in. We also take on one more staff person for these days to take care of set up and clean up.
nannyde 06:46 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by Happy Daycare Worker:
"My staff assistant does laundry, cleans, sorts, inspects and cleans toys, peels and chops food, does receipts, does some keyboard work, etc. etc. for the business. She does these while the kids are UP and playing toys. If she takes an hour and a half to set up/tear down, dress kids etc. AND supervise water play she doesn't have TIME to get the things done that she does while they are up and free playing."

Wow. I guess dc centers have different rules. We aren't allowed to anything BUT watch children that are under our care. I'm sure our parents would have a fit if we were caught on the computer instead of minding their kids. If other jobs need to be done, then we must bring in another asst (or our Director) to cover. When it comes to doing the daily sanitizing of toys or rooms... we can't even do that in the same room the children are present. It's done at the end of the day, once all children have left or are in another room. Maybe it's an insurance thing.

And no matter how hot it gets, our rules state that we must take the children outside every day. To force them out in sweltering temps & not let them cool down would be cruel, even dangerous. We aren't allowed to have pools, but do use water tables and sprinklers. It really doesn't take that much time... most come in w/suits & sunscreen already on. And it sure makes them good and tired come nap time!
Yes the center rules are VERY different. I consult with centers and what they are paid to do is so vastly different than a home day care.

I watch their cameras and work with them on health and safety policies and I can assure you there is a REASON why they can only have their staff just watch the kids. If I were a center director I wouldn't have any staff assistant doing what mine does. It would be too DANGEROUS. It's hard enough to get them to just watch the kids. Adding more to that would put the kids in harms way.

When it comes to doing the daily sanitizing of toys or rooms... we can't even do that in the same room the children are present. It's done at the end of the day, once all children have left or are in another room. Maybe it's an insurance thing.

It's a safety thing. Managing multiple staff that are very often high turnover, low skilled, low education, low paid... do cleaning solution safety while caring for the kids would land you with a poisoned kid pretty quickly.

I'm sure our parents would have a fit if we were caught on the computer instead of minding their kids.

It's the difference of being self employed and being an employee. You are an employee. I'm self employed.

And no matter how hot it gets, our rules state that we must take the children outside every day. To force them out in sweltering temps & not let them cool down would be cruel, even dangerous.

We don't have to take them out in sweltering heat. It's too dangerous. I follow this: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html The daycare centers I consult with follow this too. The only water play they have is the little tables so they don't have clothing changes and staff supervising them in standing water.

It really doesn't take that much time... most come in w/suits & sunscreen already on.

I'm more in the camp of the OP: "it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins."
Michelle 06:53 AM 07-15-2011
We have 12-14 kids on a usual day and I look forward to sprinkler time!!
We do it after nap and afternoon outside time. The kids go home looking and smelling like they all had baths...we put a little baby soap on the slip and slides and they go home smelling yummy, and no, the soap never gets in their eyes.
Then they rinse off in the sprinklers, get dressed, hair combing, all brand new.
The cool layed back parents say "Well , that was their bath for today"

Most of the field trips we go on involve water...log ride at Knotts, LB Aquarium has water play,Water Fountains in SanPedro., Kayaking at mothers beach.. So we just live in our bathing suits. Summertime at my house is the highlight of the year! Kids go back to school bragging about everything we do.
CheekyChick 07:02 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
We have 12-14 kids on a usual day and I look forward to sprinkler time!!
We do it after nap and afternoon outside time. The kids go home looking and smelling like they all had baths...we put a little baby soap on the slip and slides and they go home smelling yummy, and no, the soap never gets in their eyes.
Then they rinse off in the sprinklers, get dressed, hair combing, all brand new.
The cool layed back parents say "Well , that was their bath for today"

Most of the field trips we go on involve water...log ride at Knotts, LB Aquarium has water play,Water Fountains in SanPedro., Kayaking at mothers beach.. So we just live in our bathing suits. Summertime at my house is the highlight of the year! Kids go back to school bragging about everything we do.
Kudos to you!!! THAT is what summer is about!!! Putting out that extra effort to give your DCK's lifelong memories of the awesome summers spent with you. You can't put a price on that...

BTW, I was born in Long Beach.
nannyde 07:24 AM 07-15-2011
Kudos to you!!! THAT is what summer is about!!! Putting out that extra effort to give your DCK's lifelong memories of the awesome summers spent with you. You can't put a price on that...
Oh there's a price to it all right. It's called day care fees.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Well done Wonder Woman! I could never get all that done that quickly!

We have water days 2 x a week and the children come dressed in their suits with a bag with their play clothes in it. If we're lucky they have sunblock on too! Most of them can dress themselves when we come back in. We also take on one more staff person for these days to take care of set up and clean up.
It took years to figure out the right "assembly-line" method, but like I said, I must have a really good group of kids and they must REALLY want to use the water stuff because it seems to go very smooth and easy for me these last few summers. Don't get me wrong, I know it can be hard and time consuming....I'm just saying for me right now it isn't. I do count my lucky stars for it though.....

Oh and I should mention I only have 2 kids in diapers too so.....
CheekyChick 09:03 AM 07-15-2011
If my children were small and I was paying $120.00 per week (per child) for child care, would I choose the child care provider that put out the extra effort to give my children the greatest summer experience possible, or would I choose the child care provider that had an "over it" or "don't want to" attitude? With all due respect to your 32 years experience, I would choose the one who would put out the extra effort - regardless of the bottom line.

Additionally, you stated that working parents bring their children home to hours of outdoor/water play. Um, I disagree. Working parents are tired. They come home, make dinner, do laundry, clean house, play with their children a bit, bathe them, read to them, and put them to bed. Since my DP's are paying ME to give their child a fun day - I feel it is MY responsibility to do so.
SimpleMom 09:07 AM 07-15-2011
I will do pools in the afternoon, sprinklers too. water guns or something similar, water tables, they can wear old clothes or suits. I used to only do water fun day once a week--now I do it when the weather is hot. More work, but at least they get outdoors. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We just get less outdoor time that day. I go with the flow of the kids.
laundrymom 10:07 AM 07-15-2011
I get the picture now of Nannys , you part time provide care, part time work outside your home. Having someone else cover that time for the kids. Kudos to you for finding what works for you. Personally I would be crazy not being in control. But that's why I am the sole provider here. No matter how well someone is trained it's still not me. And im not in control when I'm not here. I've only been a provider for 23 years, but I have a system that works for us. We don't have specific days. We make it up as we go along. This morning we water painted outside. It was nice so we just did everything outside. We got out at 645, and were out until 11. Came in, and they were asleep by 1145 Lol. I gotta say Nan, you look great, to be a nurse for a time, and then be a provider for 32 years, you are what? Close to 60? Your a hottie! !! I hope I look as good as you when I get older!!
I turn 40 in Feb. I am afraid to post a pic though, I look bad. Lol.
Mine are all under 5, only 2 fresh four yr olds, the rest are little so slip & slides are out, we don't do wading pools or sprinklers but I do water tables, bubbles in dishpans, I bougt little spray bottles like for wetting hair, 4 oz I think, we use those to have water wars. I also get mine out early in the day before it's hot, so using the water is completely sensory and exploratory, not for cooling off. I also don't use sunscreen in the mornings because my play space is total shade until 1 pm. That makes it easier. I guess that's why I love this board, we are all so different, but that's a good thing.
Country Kids 10:41 AM 07-15-2011
I'm a national consultant for child care. http://daycarewhisperer.webs.com/ I currently consult with two centers by watching their cameras and training their staff. I have two other center contracts currrently working on their health policies. I do individual counselling for providers three to four times a week. I am currently working out an agreement with a radio station to do guest appearance on a radio show about children. That should start in the begining of August. (fingers crossed)

I have a home child care that operates twelve hours a day. I operate it by myself about five to six hours per day. I have staff for six to seven hours per day.

I also have a little gig on daycare.com https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/ where I write a blog and participate in this board.

I'm very busy.

Oh and I am doing a new venture called "Swap-a Mook" where I take WDMMom's perfect angel child for a week and then she takes my blue eyed devil son for a week. We'll see how that goes... I may start a fourth business.
When do you do all this? Do you do any family time with your family? I know I only have about 3 hours after the last one leaves to have family time plus life (dinner, dishes, bathes, clean up, etc?).

Also, per our state regs. a childcare provider is not allowed to have any other type of employment during daycare hours. So basically you wouldn't be allowed to do any of this while you were running the childcare in our state. I'm surprised you can all of this in yours. I actually had a little side business I had to give up-worked on it during naptime-but was told that was a no, no and ended up giving it up because of that.

Don't you only have 8 children total? We would be laughed at here if we had a provider that had an assistant for that low of a number. I don't even make enough to pay an assistant with that amount of children. Wow, you must make the bucks!
nannyde 10:43 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I get the picture now of Nannys , you part time provide care, part time work outside your home. Having someone else cover that time for the kids. Kudos to you for finding what works for you. Personally I would be crazy not being in control. But that's why I am the sole provider here. No matter how well someone is trained it's still not me. And im not in control when I'm not here. I've only been a provider for 23 years, but I have a system that works for us. We don't have specific days. We make it up as we go along. This morning we water painted outside. It was nice so we just did everything outside. We got out at 645, and were out until 11. Came in, and they were asleep by 1145 Lol. I gotta say Nan, you look great, to be a nurse for a time, and then be a provider for 32 years, you are what? Close to 60?
No I work from home. I don't work outside my home with the exception of attending staff meetings at the Center I work for once a month in the evening and soon I will be going in the evening or weekends to tape a radio show. We are also working on my being able to do radio segments from home too so we shall see. I also go on the weekends to the centers and do inspections. I get hired to do that about once every other month.

I'm fifty... nearly fifty one.

My staff assistant is completely trained by me and supervised by me at all times. She will be eligible to be by herself with the kids in the next month or so and I will gradually allow her to have a bit more responsibility. I make ALL of the decisions regarding the kids. I could never afford someone who could do the decision making on my watch. That's a pretty expensive employee.
nannyde 10:54 AM 07-15-2011
If my children were small and I was paying $120.00 per week (per child) for child care, would I choose the child care provider that put out the extra effort to give my children the greatest summer experience possible, or would I choose the child care provider that had an "over it" or "don't want to" attitude? With all due respect to your 32 years experience, I would choose the one who would put out the extra effort - regardless of the bottom line.

Additionally, you stated that working parents bring their children home to hours of outdoor/water play. Um, I disagree. Working parents are tired. They come home, make dinner, do laundry, clean house, play with their children a bit, bathe them, read to them, and put them to bed. Since my DP's are paying ME to give their child a fun day - I feel it is MY responsibility to do so.
Of course YOU would pick the provider who did the services that YOU value.

Today my kids went for a hike before it got too hot to be out. They watered and weeded our kids garden. They harvested rosemary and sage. They sorted our Lincoln Logs back into their proper containers and cut coupons (I'm training them to be extreme couponers so we can get on the show and be famous). They free played toys, folded laundry, washed down the shelves1 and had two delicious organic meals with fresh meat, fruits, and veggies. They had rosemary free range chicken strips with the rosemary they harvested and cleaned from our garden. They will nap for a few hours and then we are going to hit the garage sale across the street to hunt for more Princess junk we don't need.

That's what THEIR parents want for them. You would want outdoor water activites because you believe the provider should give them your version of the "greatest summer experience possible". My parents want what I offer.

That's the BEAUTY of it. We all get to decide what we want to offer and keep clients that like what we offer. I wouldn't even be considered by you but my clients only want me and for their child's entire early childhood.

And for parents being tired.... oh lawdy... I think I'll pass on that one.
CheekyChick 02:02 PM 07-15-2011
Of course YOU would pick the provider who did the services that YOU value.

Today my kids went for a hike before it got too hot to be out. They watered and weeded our kids garden. They harvested rosemary and sage. They sorted our Lincoln Logs back into their proper containers and cut coupons (I'm training them to be extreme couponers so we can get on the show and be famous). They free played toys, folded laundry, washed down the shelves1 and had two delicious organic meals with fresh meat, fruits, and veggies. They had rosemary free range chicken strips with the rosemary they harvested and cleaned from our garden. They will nap for a few hours and then we are going to hit the garage sale across the street to hunt for more Princess junk we don't need.

That's what THEIR parents want for them. You would want outdoor water activites because you believe the provider should give them your version of the "greatest summer experience possible". My parents want what I offer.

That's the BEAUTY of it. We all get to decide what we want to offer and keep clients that like what we offer. I wouldn't even be considered by you but my clients only want me and for their child's entire early childhood.

And for parents being tired.... oh lawdy... I think I'll pass on that one.
My parents would be thrilled with the hike, but I'm fairly certain they would frown upon their children folding laundry, clipping coupons, weeding, or washing down shelves on a nice summer day. My parents want their children out in the sunshine, playing in the water, having picnics, playing with bubbles, jumping rope, and riding trikes. I doubt your DP's would choose me as their provider, as we run a completely different type of program.

Oh, and parents do get tired. We're not the only ones who have jobs that we love, but wipe us out at the end of the day.
Country Kids 02:04 PM 07-15-2011
My parents would be thrilled with the hike, but I'm fairly certain they would frown upon their children folding laundry, clipping coupons, weeding, or washing down shelves on a nice summer day. My parents want their children out in the sunshine, playing in the water, having picnics, playing with bubbles, jumping rope, and riding trikes. I doubt your DP's would choose me as their provider, as we run a completely different type of program.

Oh, and parents do get tired. We're not the only ones who have jobs that we love, but wipe us out at the end of the day.

Since we don't have a like button I will do this-
nannyde 04:15 PM 07-15-2011

It's a little too hot for the idylic childhood summer play you describe. Mine are lucky I got them out of the basement where it is cool.

We are outdoors more in the winter than the summer... by far. It's easy to manage the cold. The hot... not so easy.
Crystal 04:54 PM 07-15-2011
It's a little too hot for the idylic childhood summer play you describe. Mine are lucky I got them out of the basement where it is cool.

We are outdoors more in the winter than the summer... by far. It's easy to manage the cold. The hot... not so easy.
Oh, the hot can be easily managed with water play. Just sayin'
Country Kids 04:59 PM 07-15-2011
What is funny is how people are saying it is to hard to get them in swimsuits, sunscreened up, back out of swimsuits, etc. In the winter though they see no problem when they have to get the same kids in tons of layers, snowsuits, mittens, scarfs, etc. and then the minute they are done they have to go to the bathroom! I would much rather go out in the spring, summer, fall then in the winter anytime.
nannyde 05:11 PM 07-15-2011
Oh, the hot can be easily managed with water play. Just sayin'
No really ... it's too hot. Right now it is 87 degrees and "feels like" 97 and it's seven pm.
Michelle 05:11 PM 07-15-2011
The thing is, I don't have to do these things... I would have these kids even if I didn't but I love them and I want them to have these experiences.
All the fancy expensive toys in the world would never compare to feeding a Lorikeet, or petting a real shark. These kids would be so bored if I kept them here all day. I get cabin fever and feel like the walls are closing in on me.
And I know they do too.

I have the most particular parent on earth! I had her since she was a newborn...Dad is a lawyer and they never wanted me to take her in the car.
I totally understood, I always had an assistant stay with her.
Well, the family saw my daycare video and saw what she was missing out on and now they want me to take her everywhere now. lol and she loves it
Plus i get free legal advice, lol
erinalexmom 05:16 PM 07-15-2011
So true country kids! so true! I mean what the heck always happens to that other mitten? does it go where the disapearing dryer socks go?
I dont like the mountain of layers you have in the winter. Plus, after youve thrown a snowball and made a snowman...there ya go, now what? LOL
erinalexmom 05:19 PM 07-15-2011
Michelle you are awsome! But can you tell me about the legality of all that? 1) do you have the parents pay for the trips or is that part of your weekly fee? 2)do you drive them to these place and what does that do to your car insurance? just wondering cause I was wanting to do some things with my DCK's
nannyde 05:30 PM 07-15-2011
What is funny is how people are saying it is to hard to get them in swimsuits, sunscreened up, back out of swimsuits, etc. In the winter though they see no problem when they have to get the same kids in tons of layers, snowsuits, mittens, scarfs, etc. and then the minute they are done they have to go to the bathroom! I would much rather go out in the spring, summer, fall then in the winter anytime.
Yes it is time consuming to get them into full winter gear. I have everything here for each kid so it helps a LOT to have them in identical coats, hats, shoes, etc.

The difference with the summer and winter here is that once the kids are dressed they can tolerate the cold for a good long while. In the heat of the summer they don't last very long. That's why we do spurts of outside and then back in. My youngest is six months old. He's not going to make it too long in 90 degree weather whether the older kids have water play or not. Since I can't leave my staff assistant alone we are all either in or out so the decision to go out is based on what the youngest can tolerate safely.
Michelle 05:32 PM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Michelle you are awsome! But can you tell me about the legality of all that? 1) do you have the parents pay for the trips or is that part of your weekly fee? 2)do you drive them to these place and what does that do to your car insurance? just wondering cause I was wanting to do some things with my DCK's
Well I usually get family passes for everyplace (annual passes) They usually let us bring in 6-8 kids. The parents never have to pay because I take my own dd there all the time and the dkc's get in free.
So One day I will take the big kids and the next the little kids.
Some places like the La habra Children's Museum is designed just for 0-7, so I only take the littles there. And the Discovery science center is geared for 4-16 so I just take the older kids there. Long beach aquarium ...everyone goes.
Zoo? everyone goes..etc.
As far as car insurance goes, I pay extra but it's worth it when I see the smiles on their faces and the aw in their eyes when they see a jelly fish for the first time or get to talk to a scuba diver feeding huge sharks.
Crystal 05:59 PM 07-15-2011
No really ... it's too hot. Right now it is 87 degrees and "feels like" 97 and it's seven pm.
yeah....we get 100-104 and it feels hotter....water play always beats the heat.....heck we even use the water table indoors sometimes!
nannyde 06:45 PM 07-15-2011
yeah....we get 100-104 and it feels hotter....water play always beats the heat.....heck we even use the water table indoors sometimes!
This is the chart we use: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

There's no situation where 100 degrees is safe for them to be outside with or without water play.

CONDITION RED - most children should not play outdoors due to the health risk.

INFANTS/TODDLERS should play indoors and have ample space for large motor play.

YOUNG CHILDREN may ask to play outside and do not understand the potential danger of weather conditions.
Lucy 08:27 PM 07-15-2011
This is the chart we use: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

There's no situation where 100 degrees is safe for them to be outside with or without water play.

Not true. The chart doesn't show anything BELOW 40% humidity. The desert SW is very dry. Like 12% today in Phoenix. Safe with water play. I'd hate to imagine kids living there having to be inside all summer!
CheekyChick 08:38 PM 07-15-2011

Do you live in Arizona, Nevada, or New Mexico??? If not, I can assure you that summertime play is safe for most healthy children with sunscreen, lots of liquids, shady areas to rest, and LOTS of water to cool off in. Children have been enjoying this time of year for thousands upon thousands of years.
Country Kids 11:22 PM 07-15-2011
Cheekychick don't you wish there was some nice weather in Oregon. Its been nice but below seasonal average and not alot of nice warm mornings like in the past. I'm longing for some nice hot, hot days for us. I can't believe they are calling for rain tomorrow-so bums me out. My kids have actually been to cold to go out and play some of the mornings we have had. I know a few mornings it may just be about 60 or so at noon!
nannyde 03:16 AM 07-16-2011
Do you live in Arizona, Nevada, or New Mexico??? If not, I can assure you that summertime play is safe for most healthy children with sunscreen, lots of liquids, shady areas to rest, and LOTS of water to cool off in. Children have been enjoying this time of year for thousands upon thousands of years.
I can't go on your assurance. I have to go on my regulations. Our state uses the chart I linked to.
nannyde 03:32 AM 07-16-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Not true. The chart doesn't show anything BELOW 40% humidity. The desert SW is very dry. Like 12% today in Phoenix. Safe with water play. I'd hate to imagine kids living there having to be inside all summer!
Even with 12 percent humidity and 100 degree weather it's still only "feels like" 95. That's too hot for infants and toddlers.
CheekyChick 04:37 AM 07-16-2011
Cheekychick don't you wish there was some nice weather in Oregon. Its been nice but below seasonal average and not alot of nice warm mornings like in the past. I'm longing for some nice hot, hot days for us. I can't believe they are calling for rain tomorrow-so bums me out. My kids have actually been to cold to go out and play some of the mornings we have had. I know a few mornings it may just be about 60 or so at noon!
It's been pretty mild, but I love it! I prefer the sunshine without the high temps. If you like the heat, I'm fairly sure we will have some really hot days in August. Still lots
of summer left.
Meyou 05:15 AM 07-16-2011
I take 7 kids (12 months, 2x2, 1x3.5, 2x4, 1x7, 1x12) to the beach at the lake 3 blocks away from my house everyday in the summer. The kids arrive between 7:30 and 8:30. The baby goes down for a nap at 8:30-10am. The kids free play between 9am and 945am while I pack lunch, pack the wagon and get all the suits ready. At 945am they pick up the playroom and as soon as they finish come get ready. Clothes goes in their cubbies and suits, hats and shoes go on and then they line up for suncreeen. The 2 year olds need some help with their suits but I just help them as I change their bums. The baby gets up at 10am, suited, sunblocked and off we go!! We're out the door by 10:10 everyday easily. We have lunch at the beach at 12:30, the kids get one last quick dip after lunch and then we walk home wet. They're dry by the time we get back and change back into their clothes and straight to bed in the dark, cool house where I've had fans running and lights off all morning.

I love the summer and I adore that I'm close enough to a lake to go there every day with the kids. They have soooo much fun playing together and all the kids over 3 take lessons everyday that are offered at the beach. It's an awesome summer at my house.

I do find the beach alot of work to get ready and get them out the door each day but the payoff is so worth it for me. I don't mind working my buns off for that 3 hours each day when the kids have so much fun and the rest of our day is very laid back and mellow.
Michelle 06:04 AM 07-16-2011
wow!, awesome!!
I would send my kids to your daycare!
I just had a mental picture of you pulling your wagon full of happy, tan beach babies
They will always remember this!
SilverSabre25 06:34 AM 07-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I take 7 kids (12 months, 2x2, 1x3.5, 2x4, 1x7, 1x12) to the beach at the lake 3 blocks away from my house everyday in the summer. The kids arrive between 7:30 and 8:30. The baby goes down for a nap at 8:30-10am. The kids free play between 9am and 945am while I pack lunch, pack the wagon and get all the suits ready. At 945am they pick up the playroom and as soon as they finish come get ready. Clothes goes in their cubbies and suits, hats and shoes go on and then they line up for suncreeen. The 2 year olds need some help with their suits but I just help them as I change their bums. The baby gets up at 10am, suited, sunblocked and off we go!! We're out the door by 10:10 everyday easily. We have lunch at the beach at 12:30, the kids get one last quick dip after lunch and then we walk home wet. They're dry by the time we get back and change back into their clothes and straight to bed in the dark, cool house where I've had fans running and lights off all morning.

I love the summer and I adore that I'm close enough to a lake to go there every day with the kids. They have soooo much fun playing together and all the kids over 3 take lessons everyday that are offered at the beach. It's an awesome summer at my house.

I do find the beach alot of work to get ready and get them out the door each day but the payoff is so worth it for me. I don't mind working my buns off for that 3 hours each day when the kids have so much fun and the rest of our day is very laid back and mellow.
mmm, that sounds like ideal bliss. I would love to live that close to a beach of some sort!
CheekyChick 09:00 AM 07-16-2011

I'm glad you don't live in my city. You would be incredible competition!

You are clearly putting out the effort to give your DCK's a wonderful summer. I'm sure they (and their parents) appreciate how hard you work to make this happen. Great job!!!
erinalexmom 09:28 AM 07-16-2011
Thank you for the response Michelle I have some great parents and while they will let me take them sometimes they wouldnt like it everyday I dont think but I was thinking if I took a field trip once every 2 months and then take a weekly walking trip to our library and another weekly walking trip to our park that might be good. We do walk to get my mail everyday and that is about 2 blocks away. Very exciting huh? LOL but when your 2 I guess it is cause they seem to love it! Thank you for the inspiration Itold my husband just yesterday, the kids are so bored right now, h*ll I bore myself! We gatta do something with these kids. So I cant wait to start taking walking field trips and things. We live in a wonderful small town with only 900 people but there are some things to do here just gatta get movin thanks
nannyde 10:03 AM 07-16-2011

Nova Scotia in the summer is HEAVEN.

Are you guys able to get out from November thru March? I know you get a pretty good snow fall most years.

I wish we could do picnic lunches away from the house. Our food program doesn't allow it. We have to eat at the house.

We have a splash pad right around the corner from me but it is NOT fun. The dummies that planned out the park didn't think about shading any of the play area and it's dangerously hot for a good amount of the summer. The play area is connected to the splash pad and you can't go near the equipment from about nine/ten in the morning on.

The park is pretty baren from June thru September. It's used more in the fall, winter and spring. They put in a skating pond last winter next to the splash pad and that sold like crazy. No shade around it so it was really nice to go during the daytime.
nannyde 10:31 AM 07-16-2011
I think I need to move to where you live.

Love the cool weather. We go out if it's over thirty if the wind is calm.
Meyou 06:12 PM 07-16-2011
Nova Scotia in the summer is HEAVEN.

Are you guys able to get out from November thru March? I know you get a pretty good snow fall most years.

I wish we could do picnic lunches away from the house. Our food program doesn't allow it. We have to eat at the house.

We have a splash pad right around the corner from me but it is NOT fun. The dummies that planned out the park didn't think about shading any of the play area and it's dangerously hot for a good amount of the summer. The play area is connected to the splash pad and you can't go near the equipment from about nine/ten in the morning on.

The park is pretty baren from June thru September. It's used more in the fall, winter and spring. They put in a skating pond last winter next to the splash pad and that sold like crazy. No shade around it so it was really nice to go during the daytime.
We don't get alot of it but what we do is beautiful and hot! With typical NS weather reminders so we don't forget where we are. I went to a Metallica concert on Thursday in the pouring rain and it was only 12 degrees Celsius all day. Soooooo cold and wet. But 20 000 still rocked on for 6 hours.

We get out alot in November and December....everyday unless it's raining. It snows a bit in those months but it doesn't stay around at least not in any amount that matters. The temperature is barely below freezing and almost no windchill so we can stay out for decent periods of time.

January, February and March are hit and miss. This year it was either brutally cold or pouring rain sometimes in the same day for Jan-Feb. Then we had some really nice, mild days in March but half the month it was pouring buckets and barely above freezing. I just play it day by day and get them outside as often as possible. We have a toddler/preschooler park a block away so that's a good place when its cold but not snowy. There is a play group at a community center two blocks away so we'll go to that when it's cold too. It's a quick walk with the little ones in the wagon and the 4 year olds being stalked into a run by the monster that is me. lol They get two walks/runs that way but short periods of time outside. I also bundle them up and let them ride the ride on cars in the garage when it's really bitter out and we haven't gotten out for a few days.
Lianne 08:27 PM 07-16-2011
We don't get alot of it but what we do is beautiful and hot! With typical NS weather reminders so we don't forget where we are. I went to a Metallica concert on Thursday in the pouring rain and it was only 12 degrees Celsius all day. Soooooo cold and wet. But 20 000 still rocked on for 6 hours.

We get out alot in November and December....everyday unless it's raining. It snows a bit in those months but it doesn't stay around at least not in any amount that matters. The temperature is barely below freezing and almost no windchill so we can stay out for decent periods of time.

January, February and March are hit and miss. This year it was either brutally cold or pouring rain sometimes in the same day for Jan-Feb. Then we had some really nice, mild days in March but half the month it was pouring buckets and barely above freezing. I just play it day by day and get them outside as often as possible. We have a toddler/preschooler park a block away so that's a good place when its cold but not snowy. There is a play group at a community center two blocks away so we'll go to that when it's cold too. It's a quick walk with the little ones in the wagon and the 4 year olds being stalked into a run by the monster that is me. lol They get two walks/runs that way but short periods of time outside. I also bundle them up and let them ride the ride on cars in the garage when it's really bitter out and we haven't gotten out for a few days.
My parents are in Nova Scotia right now. They're in Musquodoboit Harbour visiting my grandmother who turns 103yrs old this week! I (and my parents) live in Ontario but I dream of moving to NS someday
Lucy 10:11 PM 07-16-2011
Even with 12 percent humidity and 100 degree weather it's still only "feels like" 95. That's too hot for infants and toddlers.
Nope.
Meyou 05:50 AM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
My parents are in Nova Scotia right now. They're in Musquodoboit Harbour visiting my grandmother who turns 103yrs old this week! I (and my parents) live in Ontario but I dream of moving to NS someday
That's about 45 minutes from me! My best friend's aunt lives there and her uncle is the councilman for that area. Small world!! I bet anything my BFF's aunt knows your grandmother.
Unregistered 12:29 PM 07-17-2011

I'm over it.
I think you are probably the laziest daycare person I have ever heard of. If the FP stopped paying you to feed the kids would you stop doing that too since it takes time and money to prep, feed, and clean up? You claim all these great things about your daycare, why couldn't the kids get themselves dressed for the most part? We do water play a lot and almost all my kids get themselves 1/2 or completely ready on their own. Sunscreen is a daily activity so that doesn't matter to me. I would rather my kids have a good time at daycare than clean the floor, or finish paperwork etc. And just because you have "BTDT" as you say doesn't mean there is no longer value in it. Old people like yourself can do things simply for the kids sake regardless of how many times you have done it in your life. Ridiculous.
erinalexmom 02:03 PM 07-17-2011
Yes many times I do things that I dont want to do just for the sake of the children. Being the adult sometimes means putting your wants aside for thier needs.
Lucy 02:26 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think you are probably the laziest daycare person I have ever heard of. If the FP stopped paying you to feed the kids would you stop doing that too since it takes time and money to prep, feed, and clean up? You claim all these great things about your daycare, why couldn't the kids get themselves dressed for the most part? We do water play a lot and almost all my kids get themselves 1/2 or completely ready on their own. Sunscreen is a daily activity so that doesn't matter to me. I would rather my kids have a good time at daycare than clean the floor, or finish paperwork etc. And just because you have "BTDT" as you say doesn't mean there is no longer value in it. Old people like yourself can do things simply for the kids sake regardless of how many times you have done it in your life. Ridiculous.
Don't you mean "rediculous" ? Sorry, couldn't resist.
jen 02:35 PM 07-17-2011
You know what I think is really weird...that people get SO worked up about what someone else does or doesn't do with their daycare kids. I gotta say, I could care LESS that some of you have WP, just like I could care LESS than Nan does not. I care about what I do, I care about what MY daycare parents want. I care if the kids in MY care are happy.

Now, I happen to do water play. I DO NOT do princess stuff...I did not have a tea party when the royal wedding took place, I don't take my kids on hikes, I don't give my parents a discount if they have an early pick up time. Nan does those things because they work for HER. Agh...people...seriously, get over yourselves. It is nice that you do things with your dck, but because someone else doesn't do the SAME things, doesn't make you a better provider. I don't serve chicken nuggets or french fries. I wouldn't take me child to a provider that did. It doesnt' mean that someone who feeds that stuff is a bad provider, it means that she or he is not the provider for me.

K...I'm done now.
nannyde 02:36 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Yes many times I do things that I dont want to do just for the sake of the children. Being the adult sometimes means putting your wants aside for thier needs.
Or...

You can pick and choose what services you offer and offer what YOU enjoy doing. You can put your resources into what YOU think are valuable.

Of course you have to do things you don't want to like clean puke or change a blow out diaper. You DON'T have to do activites you don't want to do.

So many providers feel trapped in this job and hate it because they don't feel powerful enough to decide for themselves what they will and won't offer. If it's not the state telling them they HAVE to do this activity or that .. it's the parents upset because you don't go to the pool every day.

Providers have parents, the state, and even other providers telling them they MUST do this and that for the kids in order to be good. Beyond fundamental health and safety, we should be able to decide for ourselves what services we offer.

If you want to be successful in this for the long haul.. protect your OWN happiness. A happy provider will have happy kids and happy customers.
jen 02:37 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Don't you mean "rediculous" ? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Probably not..
–adjective
causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable: a ridiculous plan.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ridiculous
nannyde 02:40 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
You know what I think is really weird...that people get SO worked up about what someone else does or doesn't do with their daycare kids. I gotta say, I could care LESS that some of you have WP, just like I could care LESS than Nan does not. I care about what I do, I care about what MY daycare parents want. I care if the kids in MY care are happy.

Now, I happen to do water play. I DO NOT do princess stuff...I did not have a tea party when the royal wedding took place, I don't take my kids on hikes, I don't give my parents a discount if they have an early pick up time. Nan does those things because they work for HER. Agh...people...seriously, get over yourselves. It is nice that you do things with your dck, but because someone else doesn't do the SAME things, doesn't make you a better provider. I don't serve chicken nuggets or french fries. I wouldn't take me child to a provider that did. It doesnt' mean that someone who feeds that stuff is a bad provider, it means that she or he is not the provider for me.

K...I'm done now.

No princess?????

I think the difference between us is that I have two REAL life princesses here and one princess in training.

Makes a difference if you have HRH "little missy" attending your day care.

I have NO choice but to offer royal service.
jen 02:45 PM 07-17-2011
No princess?????

I think the difference between us is that I have two REAL life princesses here and one princess in training.

Makes a difference if you have HRH "little missy" attending your day care.

I have NO choice but to offer royal service.
I have what we like to call a dirty princess...no matter what I do, she is a MESS. Won't keep her hair in a pony, likes to eat dirt and dig giant holes, and she is a sturdy little thing. She says she's a pricess, but I don't believe her. LOL!
nannyde 02:48 PM 07-17-2011
I have what we like to call a dirty princess...no matter what I do, she is a MESS. Won't keep her hair in a pony, likes to eat dirt and dig giant holes, and she is a sturdy little thing. She says she's a pricess, but I don't believe her. LOL!
Mine weed the garden with pony and crown intact.
Lucy 03:14 PM 07-17-2011
Probably not..
–adjective
causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable: a ridiculous plan.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ridiculous
I was being facetious. It is often misspelled on here with an "e", so I was admittedly being snarky. As I said, couldn't resist!
nannyde 03:24 PM 07-17-2011
OP said "The kids of course LOVE sprinkler days but it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins."

why couldn't the kids get themselves dressed for the most part? We do water play a lot and almost all my kids get themselves 1/2 or completely ready on their own. Sunscreen is a daily activity so that doesn't matter to me.

Well there ya go Sunflower. Unregistered has the solution.

Have the kids get themselves dressed for the most part.
They should get themselves half ready or completely ready.
Sunscreen is daily so that doesn't matter.

Problem solved
nannyde 03:32 PM 07-17-2011
I think you are probably the laziest daycare person I have ever heard of. If the FP stopped paying you to feed the kids would you stop doing that too since it takes time and money to prep, feed, and clean up?
You got that right

And yes, if the FP stoped paying me I would go to packed lunch and parents providing the snacks too.

The food service I provide now is funded by the Food Program. If their funding dried up I would go to parents providing the meals.
CheekyChick 03:50 PM 07-17-2011

K...I'm done now.
I don't feel that Nan's lack of water play was the sole issue that rubbed posters wrong. It was her attitude of, "BTDT, "Don't want to," and "Over it" that rubbed (at least) me VERY wrong. I also can't imagine her DP's being happy that their children are clipping coupons, weeding, and cleaning, in lieu of playing in the sprinklers on a nice summer day. I do agree that we can pick and choose what services we provide, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the children's happiness.
jen 04:04 PM 07-17-2011
I don't feel that Nan's lack of water play was the sole issue that rubbed posters wrong. It was her attitude of, "BTDT, "Don't want to," and "Over it" that rubbed (at least) me VERY wrong. I also can't imagine her DP's being happy that their children are clipping coupons, weeding, and cleaning, in lieu of playing in the sprinklers on a nice summer day. I do agree that we can pick and choose what services we provide, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the children's happiness.
Hmmm...where did you get the idea that her kids were unhappy? I didn't see anything like that. If the kids are unhappy, then certainly their PARENTS should do something about that.

It goes back to the same concept...YOU may not want to have your children clip coupons, but there is nothing to suggest that Nan is hiding this from the parents, so the must be OK with it. If they are OK with it, if they feel that their kids are happy, and they are OK with Nan's attitude, then why would we care????

FTR, this happens to be Nan at issue, but my response is really generalized for every. single. time. we get on someone for doing something differently. Parent's really are perfectly capable of choosing what is best for them.
nannyde 04:30 PM 07-17-2011
I don't feel that Nan's lack of water play was the sole issue that rubbed posters wrong. It was her attitude of, "BTDT, "Don't want to," and "Over it" that rubbed (at least) me VERY wrong. I also can't imagine her DP's being happy that their children are clipping coupons, weeding, and cleaning, in lieu of playing in the sprinklers on a nice summer day.
Our "nice summer day" is 95 degrees. The "feel like" temp is 116

NO outdoors
NO water play

nannyde 04:46 PM 07-17-2011
It goes back to the same concept...YOU may not want to have your children clip coupons, but there is nothing to suggest that Nan is hiding this from the parents, so the must be OK with it.
It takes a village to get kids to coupon cut. I'm learning that as we go along. We have to share trade secrets to get them to NOT cut the bar code and LU numbers.

(Trade secret number one: give the two year olds coupons for kitty litter and hemorrhoid cream as we don't need that stuff)
Country Kids 05:19 PM 07-17-2011
I have to agree that I personally know my own parents wouldn't be happy with their children stuck inside when it is nice outside. I have read these posts quite a few times and see things that sometimes don't make sense to me. We go outside in the morning till lunch time and then come inside to the cool house. Sometimes it can be very hot here but with long, rainy months we long to be outside as much as possible. In fact alot of people that come here from the south are actually cold because it is a different type of hot here.

Nan, instead of taking them for a 45 min hike why not go outside and play? If it was cool enough to go for a hike why not play. Also, was it really a hike or a walk. The way you post I really don't think you would take your little ones hiking.

Do you parents know that your children clean, clip coupons, etc? I remember several posts where you say your parents aren't allowed where the children are so how would they know what you do with them? Aren't you one that meets and hands off at the door? I maybe wrong but I though I read that.

In another post this week you were telling us all the things you do in your day (different types of work). I asked if your state regulations allow that as ours certainly wouldn't. You never responded. Any a way I take that as you aren't allowed to do those things and didn't want to post back that what you were doing was wrong.

You are I'm sure a great lady-we all need to remember though that the way things come across in posts may not be correct it is just the way they are worded. I feel usually when you post that it is a superior type of posting. Maybe its not meant to be that way but it usually reads that way.

This is probably a thread that needs to be done and we move on to something else. As it has been said we all know what our parents want, what works great for us personally, and we all have different amounts of experience. I think we should all remember that we are here for a support group and no one is better than anyone else here on the threads. I know that finding this group has helped me tremendously and I have found some great support here and new friendships!
erinalexmom 05:37 PM 07-17-2011
I agree with all of the above Country Kids. I will forget it all and move on.
sharlan 05:51 PM 07-17-2011
We all have to remember that we're different people. We all have different priorities and ways of doing things.

What works for me with my daycare, won't work for someone else, and vice-versa.

I could never feed my children what nannyde does. I'm sorry, but the thought of eating anything beyond beef, chicken, and some pork grosses me out. Tongue in the butcher case nauseates me on sight. I couldn't feed it to my kids. I have relatives that prefer venison and fish over anything else.

First thing I always tell my parents is that we go on frequent outings. In fact, that's the first thing my ads state.

Second thing I tell my parents is that I have a pool, have for over 13 years. If they have concerns about the safety of their children, then it's best they move down the line.

Back to the topic, I don't use sprinklers because I don't have enough grass in my back yard for the kids to run on. I have a large swimming pool, a tiny wading pool, a water table with lots of boats, and a sand table that seems to end up with water in it. We have some sort of water play daily.
sharlan 05:53 PM 07-17-2011
Clipping coupons is a wonderful way for the kids to learn to use scissors. What kid doesn't love to clean? I have to keep an eye on the baby wipes because the kids will use them to wash something with.
nannyde 06:20 PM 07-17-2011
I have to agree that I personally know my own parents wouldn't be happy with their children stuck inside when it is nice outside.

It's not nice outside.

Nan, insteathem for a 45 min hike why not go outside and play? d of taking If it was cool enough to go for a hike why not play. Also, was it really a hike or a walk. The way you post I really don't think you would take your little ones hiking.

I don't have an outdoor play area. We live around the corner of a four acre city park so we do hike thru their in the winter snow.

It's a walk. A walk in the shaded side of the street in the summer.

Do you parents know that your children clean, clip coupons, etc?

Oh yes. I have some parents and grandparents sending us their leftover coupons. And yes, they know the kids clean and fold laundry. They know the kids have "chores" in the house from the time they can walk. (The kids cleaning is just wet rags... no chemicals of course.)

They know they plant, water, and weed our garden. They supplied most of the seed and plants. They walk by the garden every day when they come into the house. They can't get to the front door without walking by it.

I remember several posts where you say your parents aren't allowed where the children are so how would they know what you do with them?

All but one of the kids can fully talk. The one that can't has an older brother who can. I also talk to the parents at arrival and departure.

Aren't you one that meets and hands off at the door? I maybe wrong but I though I read that.

Yes I do all arrivals and departures at the front door.

In another post this week you were telling us all the things you do in your day (different types of work). I asked if your state regulations allow that as ours certainly wouldn't. You never responded. Any a way I take that as you aren't allowed to do those things and didn't want to post back that what you were doing was wrong.

I must have missed that one. The State Regulations just apply to my child care. I don't have State regulations for my consulting business or my job on daycare.com. The State doesn't have any authority to determine what I can or can't do in businesses they don't regulate. They don't decide when I do or don't do my jobs. They don't decide if I can do more than one job from my home or not.

I have had three unnanounced inspections in the last 3.5 years and have had 100 percent compliance. They can rest assured that I'm doing my job well as they have seen it for themselves.

I've almost always had a second job simultaneiously since I started doing day care. I made cookie dough for the first few years of doing it when I first started.

In 2001 I started a clothing business and sold kids clothes on Ebay for quite a few years. That brought in a lot of money into the home which allowed me to really build my inventory I have today.

You are I'm sure a great lady-we all need to remember though that the way things come across in posts may not be correct it is just the way they are worded. I feel usually when you post that it is a superior type of posting. Maybe its not meant to be that way but it usually reads that way.

I just put out my version of what I feel in each post. It is not a superior way in any way. Just my way. I've been doing this for a long time so much of what I read on this forum is the same as what I have read on other forums I have participated on. Most of the responses I give are ones I have given tens if not a hundred times in the last twelve years. It may sound concise and "superior" but it's really just the net result of having done this and written this over and over as the years go by.

I am also on this board as an expert child care contributor. That is part of my job here. It is why I devote so much time to answering posts and offering free counselling to some of the members here thru my consulting business. But.... my advice is just that... advice. It has no greater value than anyone elses advice. The only difference here is that it is one of my jobs.

This is probably a thread that needs to be done and we move on to something else. As it has been said we all know what our parents want, what works great for us personally, and we all have different amounts of experience. I think we should all remember that we are here for a support group and no one is better than anyone else here on the threads. I know that finding this group has helped me tremendously and I have found some great support here and new friendships!

I don't mind continuing the conversation. It's one I've had before so I knew how the flow of it would go. Part of the flow is having a slew of "your're so mean... how do the poor parents allow you to care for their poor kids" posts and ultimately the poster who gives their opinion and then say that the thread needs to be done. BTDT on that one too.
nannyde 06:28 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Clipping coupons is a wonderful way for the kids to learn to use scissors. What kid doesn't love to clean? I have to keep an eye on the baby wipes because the kids will use them to wash something with.
They love themselves some going wild on slick paper with scissors and tearing. They use wet rags for cleaning and go at it.

They did any kind of housework. They cook and vaccum too.

Of course it's all got to be redone when they are done but they don't know that. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
jen 08:02 PM 07-17-2011
It takes a village to get kids to coupon cut. I'm learning that as we go along. We have to share trade secrets to get them to NOT cut the bar code and LU numbers.

(Trade secret number one: give the two year olds coupons for kitty litter and hemorrhoid cream as we don't need that stuff)
If you said the kids were practicing fine motor skills by practing their scissor skills you would have made everyone happy!
Angelwings36 08:19 PM 07-17-2011
If a parent is looking for a provider to offer their children regular water play my daycare too would not be the right fit for them. I did water play several times last summer. Sprinklers, slip and slide, tot pools, and so on...AND I HATED IT! Sure it was fun running around in the water with the children but it was not fun fixing my ruined grass, dealing with smaller and sometimes larger children that hated our water fun days, cleaning up the water, grass, mud and so on that got dragged into my house regardless of how much I tried to avoid it. It was also a headache dealing with potty training children or already potty trained children (more drying off, more indoor clean up, wet toilet seats). On top of that I really did not enjoy changing a sopping wet poopy swimming diaper!!! This year I vowed I would not do water play at all unless it was on a sand and water table...which I still have not done. I work very hard with the children as it is and don't feel I need put myself through anymore extra work. My kids leave at 5:15pm everyday and sometimes earlier than that yet. If the parents can't take 30 minutes to an hour of their time to spend it outside doing water play with the children how ever many times a week everyone thinks it should be required then I guess that's their choice.

Parents could not (or would not) be able to afford water play in my daycare.

Costs for each water day would include:

1. Covering an assistants wages.
2. Replacing ruined grass in my yard.
3. Paying any additional fees on my already EXPENSIVE water bill.
4. Covering a cleaning lady to sweep, mop, vacuum my floors, clean my bathroom and any other area of my house that was affected by our water fun.

I know not everyone is going to agree with this...and that's fine...that's why it's my daycare and I get to make the decisions.

P.S. I run with 8 children ages 12 months to 7 years. Two of those being under 30 months of age.

And Nan I think having the children cut coupons is a unique and great idea and I can almost bet they get excited at the idea and enjoy every minute of it. I have a 6 year old boy of my own and he would be estatic if we sat down together and cut coupons! lol
Angelwings36 08:29 PM 07-17-2011
PS you sure don't see schools offering regular water play for the children. Nope. If my son gets water play it's because I do it with him when I'm off the clock. If I can find the time to have water play with my son every other parent can too!
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 07-18-2011
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here and say I, personally, would rather my child care provider worked with me in teaching my kids "real life" skills (folding laundry, weeding/planting and caring for a garden, cutting with scissors, and cleaning) and let me do the fun stuff with them. i.e. water play outdoor fun.

As a parent, a part of me would feel a little ripped off if my provider got all the fun stuff with my kids and I was left teaching them the other stuff. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have time as a parent to have fun time, I am just saying I want it all!
Tags:2011, hot, hot weather, sprinkler, sprinklers, water ban
1 2 
Reply Up