Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Girl Brings Grapes....
Oneluckymom 08:22 AM 10-12-2012
in this morning. She's 2.5 and I have not served whole grapes to my own kids at that age, let alone DCKs.

This is the first time I have ever had a DCK bring ANY food, ever. At least it wasn't candy...lol

Am I over reacting...is that a safe age to give children whole grapes?

If not what do I tell parents at pick up...or SHOULD I say anything?
JustMe 08:46 AM 10-12-2012
I say, cut them up and let her have them. If she tells her mom, just tell her you aren't comfortable serving them whole. I always tell my dc parents that I'm overprotective and try to make a joke of it.
Mom&Provider 08:50 AM 10-12-2012
IME it all depends on the kid! My own kids have never really had an issue with eating anything, other kids, definately can't handle foods like that. My daughter is 3, and I give her BIG green grapes, but I do still sometimes cut them up into very small pcs as well, it all depends! Other foods that are of concern are carrots (uncooked), apple pcs and other harder fruits/veggies like that. The other day DCM dropped off her 12 month old with a whole carrot and just watched him as he walked around with it in and out of his mouth...seriously!? She left and I took it and tossed it, that was it.

If you are worried, take them away and simply tell the parents that bringing food to daycare means that everyone wants some and it's just not possible - sooo, please don't bring foods into my daycare!
lovemykidstoo 08:55 AM 10-12-2012
I serve grapes to that age, but I do cut them up. I don't understand why kids need to bring food in. Is it really that far of a drive for them and they have to have it or do the parents just not want to say no. I had a little boy bring a banana the other day and sat there in front of mommy and say that noone could have any. Told him straight up that if he's bringing it from home, he's sharing or he can leave it at home. Maybe take the bag of grapes in front of mom and say, well we'll put these up until I get time to cut them up. I'm too worried about you choking on the grapes. Maybe she'll get it.
mom2many 09:19 AM 10-12-2012
I'm always cautious about serving anything that is a potential choking hazard and cut them up as a precaution. I've had parents tell me their child eats them no problem...but not on my watch they don't!
Heidi 09:23 AM 10-12-2012
I don't know what your food-from-home policy is, so that part I can't comment on.

So...if grapes aren't already a choking hazard, now strap the kiddo in a carseat BEHIND you and let her eat them on the way. ooh boy!
Oneluckymom 09:24 AM 10-12-2012
OK, I'm glad to hear I'm NOT over reacting. With DCKs Im always super cautious.

I did take them and put them in her cubby after DCD left. I realize everyone does things a little differently at home.
Oneluckymom 09:25 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I don't know what your food-from-home policy is, so that part I can't comment on.

So...if grapes aren't already a choking hazard, now strap the kiddo in a carseat BEHIND you and let her eat them on the way. ooh boy!

YEAH !! This
Crazy8 09:25 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by JustMe:
I say, cut them up and let her have them. If she tells her mom, just tell her you aren't comfortable serving them whole. I always tell my dc parents that I'm overprotective and try to make a joke of it.
exactly what I do!! My kids bring their food from home so I have plenty that bring grapes - usually cut up but one time someone didn't and at pick up I mentioned that I cut them up and mom looked shocked and said "you mean, DCD didn't cut them???" Kid had never eaten them whole before so glad I didn't give them that way!!
Solandia 09:33 AM 10-12-2012
I would double check state regs. Last year my state amended the regs regarding this to a more strict stance....no choking hazard foods, AT ALL for 3yo & under. Even if it is cut up...not allowed at all. No corn, raw carrots, nuts, nut butters, grapes...the list is very long.

My own 2yo sons get cut up grapes and carrot...but not any of my non-school age dck's.
EchoMom 09:39 AM 10-12-2012
[quote=Mom&Provider;272784]The other day DCM dropped off her 12 month old with a whole carrot and just watched him as he walked around with it in and out of his mouth...seriously!? She left and I took it and tossed it, that was it.

[quote]

lol Well I guess you wouldn't like ME then. I give my DS (13 months) and ever since he was teething suck/chew on WHOLE carrots. Not baby carrots, but WHOLE carrots that I've peeled and chop the ends off so he only has the thick middle part. It's a nice thing for them to teethe on, and now that he has several teeth, he scrapes off pieces to eat but he's never gotten a big chunk. I also let him gnaw on whole apples.

But of course only when I am able to supervise him. And I would NEVER do the same with DCKs. What you let your own kid do is a lot different than what you let others do on your watch!

My own DS usually ends up with no pants on too, but all the other DCKs I dress and they look spiffy! lol My own DS is also the only one to ever have injuries! My poor kid gets the short end of the stick I guess! LOL JK
My3cents 10:08 AM 10-12-2012
I am big on choking- I cut everything up small even for my older kids, prob habit.
Melinda 10:25 AM 10-12-2012
My own child just turned two and has been eating grapes whole for awhile. I wouldn't allow dck to do this though. I'm overprotective of dck with all things especially choking. So, I don't think 2.5 is too young to eat whole grapes.
Heidi 10:38 AM 10-12-2012
[quote=glenechogirl;272817][quote=Mom&Provider;272784]The other day DCM dropped off her 12 month old with a whole carrot and just watched him as he walked around with it in and out of his mouth...seriously!? She left and I took it and tossed it, that was it.

Originally Posted by :

lol Well I guess you wouldn't like ME then. I give my DS (13 months) and ever since he was teething suck/chew on WHOLE carrots. Not baby carrots, but WHOLE carrots that I've peeled and chop the ends off so he only has the thick middle part. It's a nice thing for them to teethe on, and now that he has several teeth, he scrapes off pieces to eat but he's never gotten a big chunk. I also let him gnaw on whole apples.

But of course only when I am able to supervise him. And I would NEVER do the same with DCKs. What you let your own kid do is a lot different than what you let others do on your watch!

My own DS usually ends up with no pants on too, but all the other DCKs I dress and they look spiffy! lol My own DS is also the only one to ever have injuries! My poor kid gets the short end of the stick I guess! LOL JK
I am not what you'd call a worry-wart, fyi...BUT....

When my now 22 yo was 2, I was a nanny. I handed him a carrot and he sat by me and ate it while I spoke to Nanny mom.

Nanny mom looked very uncomfortable and then spoke up. "B-I have to say something. You know, I was an ER nurse for a long time. Please, please take that carrot away from him or cook it. I have seen sooo many children through the ER that have aspirated carrots, and I can't bear to see it. You don't have ANY idea what aspirated carrots do to a child's lungs!"

Since then, I have always cooked the carrots for my young kiddos. I knew this lady was waaay not prone to helicoptering, and she convinced me a raw carrot just isnt' worth it!
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I did that with my daughter when she was about 2 years old.

I was a young mom and really didn't think much about it since my dd was a pretty independent kid.

It wasn't a grape though, but a green Lifesaver candy.

Yes, she started choking, yes I almost caused an accident trying to stop the car and get to her (we had a 2 door car so that made it twice as tough) and yes I learned my lesson.

DD is now 24 and still NOT allowed to eat Lifesavers....especially green ones.
Oneluckymom 11:38 AM 10-12-2012
When I was a kid (about 9) I choked on a Jawbreaker. My dad had to do the Heimlech (SP) on me...I survived thank goodness...I'm lucky he was there.

Since then that episode has left a DEEP memory with me. I NEVER let my own (7.5 & 5) kids have ANY hard candy and they know me VERY well. When ever we go any where they hand the hard candy right over. Or if they can chew it they chew it right in front of me.

My own son when he was about 2 had a lolly pop and was sitting down eating it. He got up to walk over to grandma and tripped and it got lodged in his throat with the stick still visible where grandma could pull it out. Lesson learned there too.

So, needless to say the possibility of choking is alsways at the front of my mind.
spud912 01:21 PM 10-12-2012
This reminds me of when my father in law tried giving my older dd (who was ~18 months old at the time) a whole cherry (yes, the kind with a pit).
daycare 01:28 PM 10-12-2012
I would toss them in the food processor and spin it a few times..now they are all chopped up and bite size...

I don't serve grapes whole to any of my DCK. and never serve hot dog
Country Kids 01:36 PM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
I would double check state regs. Last year my state amended the regs regarding this to a more strict stance....no choking hazard foods, AT ALL for 3yo & under. Even if it is cut up...not allowed at all. No corn, raw carrots, nuts, nut butters, grapes...the list is very long.

My own 2yo sons get cut up grapes and carrot...but not any of my non-school age dck's.

So what are these kids suppose to eat! Oh, my goodness-I'm so glad none of these kids lived before 1990. They absolutely would not have survived I don't think.
queenbee 01:37 PM 10-12-2012
Looks like I'm on the other end of the spectrum

I only cut up food until 18 months and then it's a free for all. Grapes? Raw carrots? At 18 months I think children NEED to learn how to chew food up so its digestible and safe to swallow.

I've never had a child choke on anything while in my care and while that won't always be true, all my children sit correctly while eating which I think reduces the risk of choking
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Looks like I'm on the other end of the spectrum

I only cut up food until 18 months and then it's a free for all. Grapes? Raw carrots? At 18 months I think children NEED to learn how to chew food up so its digestible and safe to swallow.

I've never had a child choke on anything while in my care and while that won't always be true, all my children sit correctly while eating which I think reduces the risk of choking
This is so true and probably part of the rule changes some programs are seeing. It seems to be much like the "warnings" put on things such as coffee being labled "HOT" so the consumer knows....

Since children eat on the go and table sitting, and proper manners aren't a realistic solution, the "dangerous" food items are just not allowed instead.
Oneluckymom 01:51 PM 10-12-2012
I got this off the NY department of helth website...nothing came up for california.

•Hot dogs (especially cut into a coin shape), meats, sausages, and fish with bones
•Popcorn, chips, pretzel nuggets, and snack foods
•Candy (especially hard or sticky candy), cough drops, gum, lollipops, marshmallows, caramels, hard candies, and jelly beans
•Whole grapes, raw vegetables, raw peas, fruits, fruits with skins, seeds, carrots, celery, and cherries
•Dried fruits, sunflower seeds, all nuts, including peanuts
•Peanut butter, (especially in spoonfuls or with soft white bread)
•Ice cubes and cheese cubes
Foods that clump, are sticky or slippery, or dry and hard textured
•Food size and shape, especially round or a shape that could conform to the shape and size of the trachea (windpipe). The size of a young child's trachea (windpipe) or breathing tube is approximately the size of a drinking straw in diameter.
•Combinations of food size, texture, and shape can pose a threat. For example, a slippery hard candy with a round shape about the size of a drinking straw could block an airway (windpipe)

HMMM...that bolded one leaves a lot to imagination.
Tags:food from home, stuff from home, teething
Reply Up