Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Cards
Nebula 11:13 PM 09-07-2013
Hi Everyone

So is anyone interested in doing an old fashioned snail mail Christmas card Exchange? I do it on several other forums and it always turns out great- I love getting all kinds of unique Christmas cards... Is there any interest?

Mel
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 09-08-2013
I've done this on other forums as well and more than anything the kids LOVE getting cards from all over the world/country!

It would definitely be fun if we could get a bunch of members interested in exchanging cards
Moppetland 08:20 AM 09-08-2013
How is it done? Are these e-cards?
Cradle2crayons 08:21 AM 09-08-2013
Can we do some sort of sticky for members only who want to share their snail mail addresses?? I don't mind sharing mine but it would be too difficult to pm everyone,
Nebula 09:40 AM 09-08-2013
pm me your name and address.. I will keep them in a document and send a mass pm mid November with the list for all who submit their info.

Send me your : Name , Address, And Business Name.-

I plan on, using the cards as a teaching aide for Geography

Once I get everyone's name, I will send out a mass mailing in one private message to everyone who wanted to participate, I will do this on Nov 18 so you have until then to submit your info. Can we sticky this?

And then, you simply send a card to everyone on the list!
Nebula 01:01 AM 09-10-2013
We have had one person/daycare sign up This needs to be more fun!!

COme on guys
LK5kids 05:18 AM 09-10-2013
I'd love it!!!
Nebula 05:21 AM 09-10-2013
Instructions again.. send me a private message with your name, address , daycare name etc... I well compile and send a master list out mid November.

Mel
Brooksie 05:25 AM 09-10-2013
We're interested! What a cool idea.
Familycare71 05:32 AM 09-10-2013
Pm-ed you
mom2many 07:09 AM 09-10-2013
Me too!
Emsdayhome 07:43 AM 09-10-2013
cool idea! We're in! I'll pm you
Nebula 02:02 PM 09-10-2013
Hi Guys!

So far we have 9 sign ups, I am going to go over the Instructions on how to make it work

First things first: I will be sending out a master list mid November (around the 18th or so) to each person who sent me their information. That list will contain a list of all the names & addresses of people who have signed up.

Some things to remember before signing up:
1. Be sure you are able to send a card to each person on the list, while I am not sure how many overseas members we have, the going rate is $1.05 for a card overseas, and I believe 88 cents for Canada, likewise 54 Cents in the US? (I bought a massive amount of forever stamps like 10 years ago so don't know how much they are!! LOL)

2. Allow for shipping time overseas if needed, this is usually 2-3 weeks to get a card across the pond, less for Canada/Mexico, especially if you mail the slow way (i.e a stamp/First Class)

Anyhow, Here is a picture of my wall LAST YEAR from only 1 forum....... I guess I just love the nostalgia of old fashioned Christmas cards in the mail!! It has the potential to be astronomical, we have done this for YEARS - we keep the cards every year and they are really neat to look back on Not to mention the endless craft, art, & collage possibilites!!! I have gotten some super unique ones, I did this display by putting a ribbon tree on the wall.....

If anyone has any questions on anything let me know I am more than happy to help

MBF 04:06 PM 09-10-2013
Hi Im new, from Ontario Canada! I sent you a PM, hope it went through. I think it is an excellent idea
Nebula 04:07 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MBF:
Hi Im new, from Ontario Canada! I sent you a PM, hope it went through. I tink ti is an excellent idea
Yep got your PM and responded!!
jenboo 05:37 PM 09-10-2013
Sending you a message now
Moppetland 07:53 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Nebula:
Hi Guys!

So far we have 9 sign ups, I am going to go over the Instructions on how to make it work

First things first: I will be sending out a master list mid November (around the 18th or so) to each person who sent me their information. That list will contain a list of all the names & addresses of people who have signed up.

Some things to remember before signing up:
1. Be sure you are able to send a card to each person on the list, while I am not sure how many overseas members we have, the going rate is $1.05 for a card overseas, and I believe 88 cents for Canada, likewise 54 Cents in the US? (I bought a massive amount of forever stamps like 10 years ago so don't know how much they are!! LOL)

2. Allow for shipping time overseas if needed, this is usually 2-3 weeks to get a card across the pond, less for Canada/Mexico, especially if you mail the slow way (i.e a stamp/First Class)

Anyhow, Here is a picture of my wall LAST YEAR from only 1 forum....... I guess I just love the nostalgia of old fashioned Christmas cards in the mail!! It has the potential to be astronomical, we have done this for YEARS - we keep the cards every year and they are really neat to look back on Not to mention the endless craft, art, & collage possibilites!!! I have gotten some super unique ones, I did this display by putting a ribbon tree on the wall.....

If anyone has any questions on anything let me know I am more than happy to help

That is so neat the way you have your cards hanging in a Christmas tree form.
MCC 07:22 AM 09-11-2013
Sounds like fun! I'm in!
MNMum 08:08 AM 09-11-2013
I'm in! Thanks for organizing!
Nebula 08:19 AM 09-11-2013
We are up to 12! This will be great, I am super excited.

Privacy Thought:

Be careful about using your children's names in the cards! Remember to always get permission for names and/ or pictures to be sent out! I have already designed our Christmas card this year

A hint:
If you are creative at all with Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro,then you can make your own card. If you order the 4 x 6 prints through Snapfish, they are 8 cents each, and they generally throw in free envelopes if you have them picked up at Walmart. Here is our families card from LAST year:

I started with a blank 4 x 6 image, or maybe a royalty free stock wallpaper- anyway, then ordered the cards via snapfish and picked them upat Wal Mart, the result is a quality custom card for very cheap. Roughly 8- 10 cents each
Moppetland 07:44 AM 09-12-2013
We are up to 12! This will be great, I am super excited.

Privacy Thought:

Be careful about using your children's names in the cards! Remember to always get permission for names and/ or pictures to be sent out! I have already designed our Christmas card this year

A hint:
If you are creative at all with Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro,then you can make your own card. If you order the 4 x 6 prints through Snapfish, they are 8 cents each, and they generally throw in free envelopes if you have them picked up at Walmart. Here is our families card from LAST year:

I started with a blank 4 x 6 image, or maybe a royalty free stock wallpaper- anyway, then ordered the cards via snapfish and picked them upat Wal Mart, the result is a quality custom card for very cheap. Roughly 8- 10 cents each
I'm getting excited too. Not only is this my favorite season of the year, but I love sending and receiving Christmas cards.
crazydaycarelady 09:46 AM 09-12-2013
I have done this on other forums also and the kids love LOVE L~O~V~E it! They take turns getting the mail each day.
Nebula 01:28 AM 09-17-2013
15 sign ups so far!!!
LoraJenkins 04:14 AM 09-17-2013
PMd you
Nebula 12:17 PM 09-20-2013
We are up to 15 participants! This will be great, there is still about a month to get your name/address submitted and join! PM me
momofboys 03:23 PM 09-20-2013
i sent you a pm, Nebula.
Nebula 03:26 PM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
i sent you a pm, Nebula.
I got it!

Everyone who has sent me a PM, I have it Compiling them all in a word document
julie 04:52 PM 09-20-2013
I just sent you one too! Fun!!
Luvnmykidz 05:28 PM 09-20-2013
I just sent one as well!!!
Nebula 08:53 PM 10-06-2013
Bumping this thread. There are still a few weeks left to get your name and address in a PM to me!! Right now we have 20 signed up!!!
Nebula 11:03 AM 11-06-2013
Bumping this thread. There is still time to get on the list, at the moment we have 21 people!!!

I will be sending out the list November 17 (a week from Monday) you have until then to submit your name.

A recap of the guidelines:

You must be prepared to send a card to each member on the list. We have a few that are in Canada, but so far no overseas members have joined. I am not sure of current postage prices, but make sure you are able to financially commit to sending a card to every list member, which right now is 21. (minus yourself it would be 20 cards you are sending out), which is a drop in the bucket for me as I am on 3 different exchanges lol.

Anyway, send me your:

Name
Daycare Name (optional)
Address
City
State
Zip
Country
Etc...

in a pm, then you wil get a PM back on the 17th of November with a list of all the members to send cards to!
I am really looking forward to this, it's going to be great!
Cradle2crayons 11:05 AM 11-06-2013
I'm so excited!!!! Lol... Counting down the days.... Until I realized I haven't designed my Christmas cards yet!!!!

Get on the list guys!!
Nebula 11:08 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I'm so excited!!!! Lol... Counting down the days.... Until I realized I haven't designed my Christmas cards yet!!!!

Get on the list guys!!
I found the cheapest way is to design them in like, photoshop or something as a 4x6 card, then order them through walmart.com and they include FREE envelopes!! Turns out about 8 cents each
Cradle2crayons 11:30 AM 11-06-2013
I found the cheapest way is to design them in like, photoshop or something as a 4x6 card, then order them through walmart.com and they include FREE envelopes!! Turns out about 8 cents each
That's what I do too haha!!
Nebula 11:33 AM 11-06-2013
That's what I do too haha!!
That way you can get exactly what you want, say what you want etc. And it's cheap but they look high quality and personalized

This year the envelopes are a silver lined kind!
Msdunny 11:39 AM 11-06-2013
PM'd you! Thanks for setting this up!! I am so excited!!
Leanna 02:28 PM 11-06-2013
Ok...we are on the list and are so excited! I am going to put up a map and we are going to keep track of all the places we get cards from!!!

So are there any rules? I was going to have the kids make the cards - is that ok?
momofboys 10:51 AM 11-16-2013
I got your card today, Nebula! Are you e-mailed the doc on Monday? Can't wait! I have yet to do my cards but will soon!
sleepinghart 11:26 AM 11-16-2013
Hi Everyone

So is anyone interested in doing an old fashioned snail mail Christmas card Exchange? I do it on several other forums and it always turns out great- I love getting all kinds of unique Christmas cards... Is there any interest?

Mel
~I've done this a time or 2 on other forums as well .

pm me your name and address.. I will keep them in a document and send a mass pm mid November with the list for all who submit their info.

Send me your : Name , Address, And Business Name.-

I plan on, using the cards as a teaching aide for Geography

Once I get everyone's name, I will send out a mass mailing in one private message to everyone who wanted to participate, I will do this on Nov 18 so you have until then to submit your info. Can we sticky this?

And then, you simply send a card to everyone on the list!

~...Count me in!

I will PM my information to you shortly ! ~Thank you Nebula!
Nebula 01:08 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I got your card today, Nebula! Are you e-mailed the doc on Monday? Can't wait! I have yet to do my cards but will soon!

Yes, I am going to Say MONDAY morning at 9:00 AM CENTRAL I will be sending the list out. Simply go down the list, and send a card to each person. It's that simple... The list will be in a .doc file, table format, so you can read it in any version of MS word or Open Office (which is like MS word but completely free).
If for some reason you can't open the file, let me know and I will send it via plain text in a PM.

All of my cards went out yesterday, so expect them soon, with rehab and doctor visits, I am not sure what the next few weeks hold.

Mel
Nebula 01:09 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Ok...we are on the list and are so excited! I am going to put up a map and we are going to keep track of all the places we get cards from!!!

So are there any rules? I was going to have the kids make the cards - is that ok?
You might check your state rules on using kids names, but as far as i am concerned, the more the better. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the map idea.
Nebula 01:11 PM 11-16-2013
Oh!!

And If you plan on doing this year after year, I always date the card. We go back to 2009 and have saved them all in a box.
sleepinghart 02:14 PM 11-16-2013
~To Nebula: I received the confirmation that you added me to the list-- Thanks again so much!

~A couple questions = I know when sending these cards out we have to account for delivery times(especially for the cards that are going out-of-country)and understand that, but other than that, is there a certain time limit the cards must be sent out or is it okay as long as they make it to the recipient by let's say the week of Christmas for example?

~#2 = Will the list be arriving via e-mail(the e-mail account we signed-up with here)?

~Thank you in advance !
Nebula 03:11 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
~To Nebula: I received the confirmation that you added me to the list-- Thanks again so much!

~A couple questions = I know when sending these cards out we have to account for delivery times(especially for the cards that are going out-of-country)and understand that, but other than that, is there a certain time limit the cards must be sent out or is it okay as long as they make it to the recipient by let's say the week of Christmas for example?

~#2 = Will the list be arriving via e-mail(the e-mail account we signed-up with here)?

~Thank you in advance !
# 1- The only "out of country" cards we have is Canadians, and so far only 3 Canadians, the rest are all in the US, so shipping should not be an issue. I think to give an account for a week for US cards, and 2 weeks for Canadian cards, sending your cards by the first week of December should be plenty of time. Mail is slower during the holidays!

# 2- I will send it via PM.
sleepinghart 03:13 PM 11-16-2013
# 1- The only "out of country" cards we have is Canadians, and so far only 3 Canadians, the rest are all in the US, so shipping should not be an issue. I think to give an account for a week for US cards, and 2 weeks for Canadian cards, sending your cards by the first week of December should be plenty of time. Mail is slower during the holidays!

# 2- I will send it via PM.

~Okay....sounds good! Thank you!

Brooksie 05:54 PM 11-16-2013
I got a Christmas card today from this! Excited to start this with the kids. We made our cards Friday. Only thing is I haven't received a list yet though... Did it go out yet?
Cradle2crayons 06:32 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I got a Christmas card today from this! Excited to start this with the kids. We made our cards Friday. Only thing is I haven't received a list yet though... Did it go out yet?
Me too!!!! Nebula was that yr card I got yesterday?? It's so precious!!! And it was my first one. The dck were so excited!!! Especially wince we out up our Christmas tree last week. Good timing !!

I wrote on the back of the card the state it came from and hen we talked about that state.
Jack Sprat 07:48 PM 11-16-2013
Nebula!! We got your card on Friday. The kids were so excited when I told them it was from a daycare! Thank you!
Nebula 08:58 AM 11-17-2013
I just got done e-mailing the list, what a massive job as it would only let me send to five at a time. If you did not get the PM, please let me know (via PM)

I am unable to actually attach on a PM, so did a screenshot of the word doc...... hope it works for everyone. If not, pm me your e-mail address and I will send it via e-mail with the actual doc file.

I hope we can do this every year, it would be so, so cool!!

Mel
Nebula 04:48 PM 11-17-2013
There seems to be alot of issues with the list, just overwhelmed a bit.

The master list has been sent out, if you did not get it please please let me know via PM!!

Mel
LaLa1923 05:56 PM 11-17-2013
Is it too late for me to be added?
LK5kids 12:26 PM 11-18-2013
I got your's the other day also! Thanks....this is fun!
Leanna 06:30 PM 11-23-2013
We are going to start making our cards this week and sending them out!

We can't wait to start receiving them as well! We just wanted to make sure the list was updated to include our day care (it had been left off the initial list)! Thanks!!!!
kindertouch 05:35 AM 11-24-2013
This is a great idea. Hope to participate by next year. This is going to be fun!
Nebula 06:37 AM 11-24-2013
We are going to start making our cards this week and sending them out!

We can't wait to start receiving them as well! We just wanted to make sure the list was updated to include our day care (it had been left off the initial list)! Thanks!!!!
I sent out the Updated list. I already sent out cards out, you should have received mine.
Cradle2crayons 07:15 AM 11-24-2013
I sent out the Updated list. I already sent out cards out, you should have received mine.
Hey hon, I didn't receive the updated one...just the very first one.... Can you please shoot me over the updated one ?
Leanna 10:01 AM 11-24-2013
Hey hon, I didn't receive the updated one...just the very first one.... Can you please shoot me over the updated one ?
Ditto! Thanks!!!!!!
julie 10:53 AM 11-24-2013
I didn't get the updated one either! Could you please PM it to me? I don't want to miss anybody! Thanks!!
Leanna 10:34 AM 11-25-2013
To everyone who hasn't sent out their cards yet...the street number address for "Family Child Care" in Syracuse, NY is 1311 not 1211 as printed on the chart.

Thank you to Nebula for organizing this!!!
Leanna 07:36 AM 12-04-2013
Just wondering how many programs have sent their cards out already...

We are sending ours out today...

but we haven't received any yet.
jenboo 08:56 AM 12-04-2013
i have received 3 so far...I hope to get mine sent next week...i know..im a slacker
Nebula 05:00 PM 12-04-2013

I sent mine out like, 2 weeks ago!!
sleepinghart 05:38 AM 12-16-2013
~....Just doing some final prep to all my Christmas cards right now before I send them out today with the Noon mail(I realize I'm a little late in getting them out(...sorry!)as life has a way of throwing unexpected things at you when you least need them nor have the time, but they should all still make it in plenty of time ). ~..But I also figure I may not be the only one getting the late start which makes me feel a tad bit better lol -- I haven't received any Christmas cards from here so far, so has anyone received any of theirs yet? Thanks in advance!!

sleepinghart 05:41 AM 12-16-2013

~Uh oh.....What's this talk about an updated list? I only received one list. If there is another one I'd like to know before I send mine out in a couple of hours -- That way the correct batch will go out. Can anyone help please?
sleepinghart 05:50 AM 12-16-2013
To everyone who hasn't sent out their cards yet...the street number address for "Family Child Care" in Syracuse, NY is 1311 not 1211 as printed on the chart.

Thank you to Nebula for organizing this!!!

~Hi Leanna! I went through my cards to correct yours and it turns out I didn't have one for you, so I went back and checked and you're not on the list or the list I have anyway -- So, if you'll please PM me your full address I will be more than happy to send your card out with the others today .
julie 07:23 AM 12-16-2013
I sent mine out early, and have received 3 card so far! Hoping mine get to you guys soon, because I sent them a few weeks ago!
MBF 08:20 AM 12-16-2013
I also sent mine a couple of weeks ago, have received 3 so far. hope some come this week, most of my kids are off starting next Monday. glad this was organised for us, thanks!
Childminder 08:43 AM 12-16-2013
I have sent mine out to those on the list that I received but I wasn't on the list. Thought that maybe I wasn't on my own list, kwim?

Anyhow, everyone, have a Merry Christmas!
sleepinghart 05:51 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by julie:
I sent mine out early, and have received 3 card so far! Hoping mine get to you guys soon, because I sent them a few weeks ago!
Originally Posted by MBF:
I also sent mine a couple of weeks ago, have received 3 so far. hope some come this week, most of my kids are off starting next Monday. glad this was organised for us, thanks!
~Hi! To Julie & MBF: Please PM me your full address so I can send your card out today. You may get it at the last minute but at least you'll get it, and I want you to have it .

Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have sent mine out to those on the list that I received but I wasn't on the list. Thought that maybe I wasn't on my own list, kwim?

Anyhow, everyone, have a Merry Christmas!
~Also, Childminder & everyone else who has received little to no Christmas cards: Please, y'all also, PM me your full address so I can send your card out today. You may get it at the last minute but at least you'll get it, and I want you to have it .

(BBM)
~I haven't received any from here at all so I figure this is why....that I wasn't on the list either -- So for everyone else who hasn't received any this is probably why, but if you'll all please PM me your full address so I can send your card out today. You may get it at the last minute but at least you'll get it, and I want you to have it.......This is to everyone who hasn't received any cards or has been left off the list so please don't be shy.

(childminder quote)"Thought that maybe I wasn't on my own list, kwim?" (end quote)
~Yeah, when I received my list via PM and saw that my own name & addy wasn't on it, I thought it odd & suspected that I might not have been added to the list; so, I inquired about it and explained about my info/name not being on the list and asked was this the way the list was being done(a full list minus the recipient's own personal info)and I was told 'yes, this is the way they did it'. So......Idk what happened, but I do know I want to try my best to get one out to everyone so please don't be shy about PM'ing me those addys -- I've got my paper, pens and stamps out and the mail-lady will be here a little later on .
sleepinghart 06:03 AM 12-18-2013

~Leanna, thank you for the info. ..And I just wanted to let you know your card has already been sent out and I expect it to be there at least by this Friday .
Brooksie 12:29 PM 12-18-2013
With the craziness of my current situation (moving and closing) I never got a chance to send out our Christmas cards, even though we made them I feel so bad every time we get one, we already have 10, and I just want to thank everyone for spreading some Holiday cheer in a stressful time for us. So even though its too late to mail them I wanted to upload them to you guys!

So here you go!

BeFunky_Sprouts xmas.jpg.jpg
Attached:
jenboo 02:07 PM 12-18-2013
Finally getting my cards mailed today!! Slacker!
Hopefully you get them by new years
Childminder 12:08 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by :
~Also, Childminder & everyone else who has received little to no Christmas cards: Please, y'all also, PM me your full address so I can send your card out today. You may get it at the last minute but at least you'll get it, and I want you to have it .
Just saw this, not on very much anymore I guess. Tis kind of you and I appreciate you.

I won't do it next year even though i enjoy getting cards from my "friends", last year I joined a Sister Santa on another forum and got burnt then too.
Fool me Once Shame on You, Fool me Twice Shame on Me.
Tags:cards, christmas, christmas exchange
Reply Up