Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grrrrr
mrsnj 06:23 PM 12-08-2013
I had a DCM decide last min (as in two days before school started) to pull her older child and place him in our local prek for the school. I was mad at the time. She tells me last min after I had prepared his curriculum and gotten supplies and all. AND I find out in fact not from her but from the child who let it out of the bag and I ended up having to ask the mom! Make a long story short....just a little miffed.

Her youngest child is still here

I get a text today asking me if I think the weather will be bad tomorrow. Hummm last I checked, I was not a weather man so replied as best as I could to say "Ummmm dunno" Then the question....if school is closed can DCB come? SERIOUSLY? She pulls last min without regard at all to before/after school care/school closings, etc. She leaves me in the lurch with expenses in hand cause she decided to change her mind last min. WHOS fault is it that she have no coverage if school is closed? Not mine the last I checked! I already have a way full house. I already have turned kids away for this week (before/after) because there is half day allllllllllllllllllll week long for parent/teacher meetings. I am already going to go insane with kids arriving mid day all week and messing up my schedule. Now school is closing and she wants to now bring him to ME on top of all that I already have scheduled because...what?....she didn't think about school closings?! Or that she assumed I would cover her?! Seriously? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am a daycare with a teaching degree and I have children in my care who decided to stay and learn. Of which several are the same age as her child who choose to graduate from here. I have schedules to keep and other kids who pay me weekly for my care. I am NOT her last min fill in babysitter!!!!!

My husband says I am right but the mom is likely to pull. You know what. Then pull. If she wants to pay twice as much for a center on top of the insane rate she is already paying for her son then go for it! Oh yeah but she better ask before deciding cause most centers here wont do drop in either!
Cradle2crayons 06:33 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I had a DCM decide last min (as in two days before school started) to pull her older child and place him in our local prek for the school. I was mad at the time. She tells me last min after I had prepared his curriculum and gotten supplies and all. AND I find out in fact not from her but from the child who let it out of the bag and I ended up having to ask the mom! Make a long story short....just a little miffed.

Her youngest child is still here

I get a text today asking me if I think the weather will be bad tomorrow. Hummm last I checked, I was not a weather man so replied as best as I could to say "Ummmm dunno" Then the question....if school is closed can DCB come? SERIOUSLY? She pulls last min without regard at all to before/after school care/school closings, etc. She leaves me in the lurch with expenses in hand cause she decided to change her mind last min. WHOS fault is it that she have no coverage if school is closed? Not mine the last I checked! I already have a way full house. I already have turned kids away for this week (before/after) because there is half day allllllllllllllllllll week long for parent/teacher meetings. I am already going to go insane with kids arriving mid day all week and messing up my schedule. Now school is closing and she wants to now bring him to ME on top of all that I already have scheduled because...what?....she didn't think about school closings?! Or that she assumed I would cover her?! Seriously? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am a daycare with a teaching degree and I have children in my care who decided to stay and learn. Of which several are the same age as her child who choose to graduate from here. I have schedules to keep and other kids who pay me weekly for my care. I am NOT her last min fill in babysitter!!!!!

My husband says I am right but the mom is likely to pull. You know what. Then pull. If she wants to pay twice as much for a center on top of the insane rate she is already paying for her son then go for it! Oh yeah but she better ask before deciding cause most centers here wont do drop in either!
amen sistah!!! I would have told her he** no lol.
Naptime yet? 06:34 PM 12-08-2013
I feel for you, even if I can't offer any advice. Darned if you do, darned if you don't...do you allow drop- ins? If not, that may be your out (although I know that's not the issue here).
julie 07:44 PM 12-08-2013
Yep, let her pull.

"Sorry dcm, as you know, I am a full house, and can't go over ratio for a former child. I am sure you'll work something out."

It's not even unprofessional to tell her that. I would, however, tell her how delighted your waitlist will be, if she does indeed decide to pull her youngest child. Her choices, not yours.
nannyde 05:55 AM 12-09-2013
I would tell her that you WISH you could as you miss dcb SO much. The other kids miss him too. It would have been lovely to have a reunion day. I would also tell her that you won't be mentioning this to the other kids as they will be so upset they couldn't see dcb.

I would let her know you NEVER have room for extra kids during these days so it won't ever be anything she can rely on.
DaycareMom 07:19 AM 12-09-2013
Have you told her you can't watch the older child?
What was her response?
melilley 10:12 AM 12-09-2013
That is ridiculous! I can't believe she had the nerve to ask, especially since she pulled on short notice! I hope you told her no! If she pulls, well it's her loss.
Shell 10:27 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by julie:
Yep, let her pull.

"Sorry dcm, as you know, I am a full house, and can't go over ratio for a former child. I am sure you'll work something out."

It's not even unprofessional to tell her that. I would, however, tell her how delighted your waitlist will be, if she does indeed decide to pull her youngest child. Her choices, not yours.

TheGoodLife 06:03 PM 12-09-2013
What happened, did you take the DCK?
daycare 06:17 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would tell her that you WISH you could as you miss dcb SO much. The other kids miss him too. It would have been lovely to have a reunion day. I would also tell her that you won't be mentioning this to the other kids as they will be so upset they couldn't see dcb.

I would let her know you NEVER have room for extra kids during these days so it won't ever be anything she can rely on.
this is exactly what I did.....I had parents do the same exact thing. Now they want to come back when the school is closed.

I did have room on one day that she was asking, but not on the others, so I just said. Aweee we would have had so much fun having Johnny come back to join us. All of the other kids would have been so excited to see him, they have been asking where he went. I have a smart bunch, they realize he's the same age as them, but left.

then leave it at that..
MotherNature 06:41 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
That is ridiculous! I can't believe she had the nerve to ask, especially since she pulled on short notice! I hope you told her no! If she pulls, well it's her loss.

hgonzalez 07:48 AM 12-10-2013
If you have room, take him as a 'drop in' and charge a higher daily rate!
mrsnj 11:54 AM 12-10-2013
It wasn't an issue since school never closed but I told her that more likely than not, no. That I already had a full house this week due to half days for parent/teacher with my regulars and unless I got a ton of cancels it won't be happening (in so many words). I mean really.....did she not think of what would happen if school was closed? It isn't a center where they would more likely be open in bad weather. It isn't here where she KNOWS I am open in bad weather. It is in the school! One school closes....they all close. Kinda should have thought about that! Just irritates me
coolconfidentme 12:14 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I was thinking the same thing..., kill her with kindness, unfortunately you filled his spot. Thank you for thinking of me though!! (wink wink)
Reply Up