Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Parent and Fever
cara041083 09:22 AM 04-22-2014
I need help with a parent. Here is the back story. I had a DCK that Monday of Last week developed a fever while here and I called for pick up and then I didn't have her Tuesday. After her fever broke it was just a cold. Well Friday of last week my own 19 month old woke up with a fever. I informed all parents and told them I would keep her on the couch away from everyone but with her being so young that is the best I could do. Well over the weekend my daughter got worse and ended up at the doctors first thing yesterday morning and has croup. Doctor says it's from a viral cold or rsv that cause the croup. The other DCK from last week just had the cold and is now 100% fine. Well another DCK showed up today with a fever. The mom walked in and said"

"well we have a small problem, ****** has a small fever. Its 103 but comes down to 100/101 with meds. You just need to give it to her every 4 hours. But Im sure its from teething because I can feel the teeth that are almost through with my finger.

I told her I could not do that and even if its from teething, a fever is a fever and explained to her refer back to our illness policy for future cases.Well her husband thinks I should take her because in his mind my kid is the one that got them sick, so if I already have the bug here then whats the problem. Im having a hard time explain this to them. What is the best way other then to refer them back to the illness policy.
CraftyMom 09:32 AM 04-22-2014
A sick child DOES NOT FEEL WELL! They want love and attention from Mommy and/ Daddy! They want to be home in their comfortable surroundings and lay on the couch.

A provider in group care can not accommodate this regardless of who had the bug first
CraftyMom 09:34 AM 04-22-2014
Oh and 103 is not a small fever. 99 is a small fever. Fever is fever regardless of the number. 103 needs to be monitored to be sure it isn't getting to the danger zone, also not feasible in group care. A 103 fever means the child must be feeling pretty bad.
snbauser 09:39 AM 04-22-2014
Teething typically does not cause a 103 temp, maybe 99 or 100. Whether they got sick from your house or not, they were told your daughter was ill and they chose to send their child anyway. And just because she had it, doesn't mean she can't get it again or that you or any other child isn't going to catch it.
preschoolteacher 10:15 AM 04-22-2014
Dear God. 103 is not a small fever.

I'd tell the parents it's impossible to know how their child got sick, and even if it was from your child, your illness policy still stands. Their child may be contagious and would spread the illness back to your child, and everyone else, making the illness cycle through everyone again endlessly if you didn't exclude for fever. It's impossible to know for sure if it's teething or an illness coming on. Plus, you don't offer sick child care, and an ill child will recuperate much better at home than in a group care setting.
KidGrind 10:17 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I need help with a parent. Here is the back story. I had a DCK that Monday of Last week developed a fever while here and I called for pick up and then I didn't have her Tuesday. After her fever broke it was just a cold. Well Friday of last week my own 19 month old woke up with a fever. I informed all parents and told them I would keep her on the couch away from everyone but with her being so young that is the best I could do. Well over the weekend my daughter got worse and ended up at the doctors first thing yesterday morning and has croup. Doctor says it's from a viral cold or rsv that cause the croup. The other DCK from last week just had the cold and is now 100% fine. Well another DCK showed up today with a fever. The mom walked in and said"

"well we have a small problem, ****** has a small fever. Its 103 but comes down to 100/101 with meds. You just need to give it to her every 4 hours. But Im sure its from teething because I can feel the teeth that are almost through with my finger.

I told her I could not do that and even if its from teething, a fever is a fever and explained to her refer back to our illness policy for future cases.Well her husband thinks I should take her because in his mind my kid is the one that got them sick, so if I already have the bug here then whats the problem. Im having a hard time explain this to them. What is the best way other then to refer them back to the illness policy.

I am wondering how DCK caught teething from your daughter? If you listen to parents they’ll give themselves away.
debbiedoeszip 10:22 AM 04-22-2014
Tell them that you are operating a daycare, not an infirmary.
KDC 10:38 AM 04-22-2014
You were honest and told them your child had a fever, and it was a RISK they were willing to take by bringing their child to your house (regardless if you kept a safe distance). Chances are your child was contagious before symptoms appeared and it wouldn't have made a difference. Regardless of how the child got sick, they now need to take their child home per the policy. If you do not communicate and be strict on your policy, they'll think it's okay from here on out to bring their sick child to your house. You can do it... I'm pretty sure it's against state regulations
Unregistered 10:44 AM 04-22-2014
They do not need to agree with your policy, but they do need to follow it. It is a simple 'if' ...'then' situation. If you child has a temperature over ____, then they are excluded from care.
sarah33 10:51 AM 04-22-2014
I would just refer them to the illness policy in my handbook. 24 hours before returning!

I have had the same thing happen with my own kids getting sick; my son is old enough to stay by himself upstairs watching TV, but my 3-year-old really wants mommy. I have had to call in a substitute, but I do let all of the parents know what is going on. You gave them an option, and they chose to risk it.
cheerfuldom 12:07 PM 04-22-2014
103 is not a small fever. at 104, most recommendations will say to take them to the ER if you cant see a doctor immediately.
cara041083 01:52 PM 04-22-2014
I feel 100% the same as all you guys! I am glad I held my ground. I hate how every parent says "oh its teething", and I don't give a rats A** what went on with my kid. I told them flat out that my kid was sick and you chose to bring them anyway. This particular parent will be taking pto days at the end of the month to work on things at home and I grantee you that they didn't want to wast there pto time at home with a sick kid when they can sit at home and "get stuff done" while I have there kids!
Unregistered 09:12 AM 04-24-2014
That's way too high to be a teething temperature! When I see a child with a temperature that high, there's no doubt in my mind that the child is legitamately sick.

My policy is that a child can't be accepted back into daycare until the child is fever free WITHOUT the use of fever reducing medications for a full 48 hours.
MarinaVanessa 09:20 AM 04-24-2014
This is why I don't give OTC medications.

When my children are sick I talk to each parent and tell them what my child's symptoms are and if they are milk like a cold, croup, low grade fever etc. then I give each client the option to choose whether to bring their child or not. If they choose to keep their child home I credit them for the day. I explain that if their child gets sick that they must still follow the illness policy and that their child must be excluded. That is why I give them that choice. Most of my clients still bring their child when my children are sick, most of those clients still try to give me a hard time when their child ends up sick because of it. What are you gonna do?
Reply Up