Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Take Paid Or Unpaid Vacations?
mncare 11:14 AM 11-22-2010
I have so little time to browse on here that I don't have time to look through old posts...

I have only been doing this for a year. Last year when I took my vacations the parents paid half time when I was gone (2 separate weeks). They then get a week of unpaid vacation. I have always felt guilty that they pay me at all for that time. What is the overall consensus... what do you do for your vacation time?

I do have 10 paid holidays throughout the year and do take a couple of unpaid days. I give a TON of notice for those unpaid days. Nobody has ever said anything to me about my vacay policy, I think I am just feeling bad b/c I know they have to pay me 1/2 the rate and still find other care. With the families I have, two of them are able to just rearrange their work schedules, one has to drive an extra 2 hours each day to drop off at gma's, and the other family brings their kids to their previous provider--paying the full rate.

Leave it as it is, or just stop making them pay??? Next year may be my last full year of doing this...
MyAngels 11:22 AM 11-22-2010
I take ten days paid, and give them ten days unpaid. I did it this way because I tend to take a day here and there, rather than taking a full week at a time, and this just makes it easier to keep my pay consistent. Nobody has ever given me any kind of problem over it.
VTMom 11:38 AM 11-22-2010
I take 8 paid holidays, one week paid, and a second week unpaid. Sick days and non-holiday days off are unpaid.
SunflowerMama 11:39 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I take ten days paid, and give them ten days unpaid. I did it this way because I tend to take a day here and there, rather than taking a full week at a time, and this just makes it easier to keep my pay consistent. Nobody has ever given me any kind of problem over it.
Does your 10 days include major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) or is it 10 paid days in addition to major holidays?
WImom 11:41 AM 11-22-2010
Holiday's are paid for me but any vacations I take are unpaid. Vacations they take are paid.
KEG123 11:42 AM 11-22-2010
I will be doing "up to" two weeks vacation paid at 1/2 weekly rate... that way it works out to approx 1 week paid, 1 week unpaid.... but it won't be such a shock on the pocketbook on either ends. (me not having any money that week, and them not having to fork out full week pay)
mncare 11:46 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I will be doing "up to" two weeks vacation paid at 1/2 weekly rate... that way it works out to approx 1 week paid, 1 week unpaid.... but it won't be such a shock on the pocketbook on either ends. (me not having any money that week, and them not having to fork out full week pay)
That is kind of what I figure. They pay me 1/2 rate for both weeks, but then they get a free week, so it kind of is a wash. Except for the fact that they need to find other care while I am gone.
SunflowerMama 11:46 AM 11-22-2010
That's a great way to do it.
AnythingsPossible 11:51 AM 11-22-2010
I take all my personal vacation days and holidays unpaid. Parents pay half day rates for any missed schedule days on their part. I couldn't get over the guilt of charging for when I am not watching their kids. In my opinion, yes it is a business I am running, but taking the time off, other then holidays is also my choice. I don't think they should have to pay double for daycare, but that is my unpopular opinion.
misol 11:54 AM 11-22-2010
I have 12 paid holidays and up to 3 weeks of unpaid vacation.
DCMomOf3 12:20 PM 11-22-2010
Paid I get the basic holidays and 2 floating days off. The rest are unpaid.
MyAngels 12:55 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Does your 10 days include major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) or is it 10 paid days in addition to major holidays?
No, the ten days does not include the holidays. I close early on New Year's Eve and close New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. These are all paid holidays.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 11-22-2010
Me too...I am closed for major holidays though like Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years Day.... I just don't charge for them. I only charge the 1/2 pay for the two weeks vacation I take. (1 at Christmas time and the other over the 4th of July for a week.)
kendallina 01:14 PM 11-22-2010
holidays-unpaid
I'm sick-unpaid
Their child is sick or out for any reason-paid
I have built in vacation time since it's just a preschool and it's all unpaid

This kind of sucks because today my daughter is sick and I'm losing $65 (I run just a three-hour preschool). $65 is a whole lot of money! Argh. My husband is actually taking tomorrow off to be with her so that I don't have to close. I just don't feel like I can charge families when I close preschool because my daughter is sick.
momma2girls 01:23 PM 11-22-2010
I have paid Holidays and paid vac. days!! Everyone deserves paid vacations, no matter what line of work they do! We do not receive any other benefits(401K, health, dental, eye, retirements, etc. etc.....
Crystal 01:31 PM 11-22-2010
I am paid for holidays, 1 week of vacation time and 4 floating holidays that I use as I wish.

I give my families 6 months notice of my vacation date, and generally they all schedule their vacation for the same time. They aren't paying for alternate care.

I have NEVER had a complaint about having to pay for these days off.
laundrymom 05:56 PM 11-22-2010
I take 7 dollars a week per family and put it in savings. =-) thats my vacation money. =-)
mncare 06:27 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I take 7 dollars a week per family and put it in savings. =-) thats my vacation money. =-)
That is a good idea--great way to save some money without feeling a big pinch in your budget! So do you not charge for vacation time then?
laundrymom 05:28 AM 11-23-2010
Not an outright charge but it was figured into my fees when I started in 1998. I just set auto pay now and have a separate savings account I use. I adjust it with my enrollment. I also put any late fees or overtime in it usually. I used just get cash and put it in my safe and use it for vacations. Auto pay makes it easier
ma
Originally Posted by mncare:
That is a good idea--great way to save some money without feeling a big pinch in your budget! So do you not charge for vacation time then?

legomom922 06:42 AM 11-23-2010
I take 1 wk unpaid and they pay me for their vaca, so its a wash.
TGT09 06:51 AM 11-23-2010
I currently take it completely unpaid and their vacation is unpaid as well. Every year I do daycare, I "up" something. This will be what I "up" next year.....1/2 pay for vacations. This year was unpaid sick pay for me but 1/2 sick pay for them. I had a few weeks last year that I had no kids because of sickness and they paid nothing. That hurt me more since it wasn't something I couldn't predict.

ETA: My daycare families are allowed 10 unpaid vacation days but anything more than that they have to pay 1/2 pay. I make my changes at the start of every school year.
Gurdy 07:51 AM 11-23-2010
When I first started out I felt guilty about taking any time off. Until I realized that I was burnt out and truly NEEDED time off. Now I know in order to keep my business running well and myself happy (which, in turn, keeps everyone happy) I have to take time off.

I take 2 weeks paid vacation, and allow my dc families two weeks of unpaid vacation. They can choose to take their vacation time the same time that I am off or they can pay me and take their unpaid vacation at another time. I give them a minimum of 3 months notice for my vacation and require 30 days notice for them to take vacation unpaid.

I also get all holidays paid at full rate and up to 10 personal/sick days paid per year (I have never used all 10).
Tags:paid holidays, paid vacations, vacation
Reply Up