Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Found new Preschool Application in backpack-Should I ask?
WBee 11:55 AM 08-11-2015
I found a new application in a backpack of one of my clients today. They have 2 children with me. One is 3yrs. + the other is 9 mos. Should I ask if they are seeking new care? Let them know I found it? I just turned away four families in the last 3 weeks seeking infant care. I'm disgusted. Thanks.
Stephnrich 12:00 PM 08-11-2015
For peace of mind, yes, I think I would.
WBee 12:02 PM 08-11-2015
Thank you. Awkward it will be! :-)
Controlled Chaos 12:07 PM 08-11-2015
I would be asking with an understanding smile on my face (less likely to lie if you seem un bothered by it). "I noticed this application in Jr.s bag, I would hate to lose your wonderful family, but if you are planning on leaving please give me at least a 2 week notice so I have time to contact all the families on my wait list and get their paperwork in order." Let us know how it goes
WBee 12:17 PM 08-11-2015
Great idea. Thank you!
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 08-11-2015
I wouldn't ask. If they aren't ready to tell you yet or don't know yet what their plans are there is no guarantee they are going to be truthful.

I think just as providers do what we need to do, the parents have a right to do what they need to do and although I understand what a sticky situation it is to find an application to another program, the family is really not obligated to do anything other than follow your policies and give whatever amount of notice (if they do leave) your contract requires.

This is only a tough situation because you actually saw the application.
At any given time, any one of your families could be searching out new care.
midaycare 01:43 PM 08-11-2015
I would leave it be. It could be there for any number of odd reasons. And with a 3-year-old, perhaps they are thinking of pulling out just that one child, or having that child go to a different school for a few hours each week. I sent my DS to preschool and daycare - I wanted him to be very socially involved. It worked - too well!
KidGrind 01:46 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't ask. If they aren't ready to tell you yet or don't know yet what their plans are there is no guarantee they are going to be truthful.

I think just as providers do what we need to do, the parents have a right to do what they need to do and although I understand what a sticky situation it is to find an application to another program, the family is really not obligated to do anything other than follow your policies and give whatever amount of notice (if they do leave) your contract requires.

This is only a tough situation because you actually saw the application.
At any given time, any one of your families could be searching out new care.

daycare 01:58 PM 08-11-2015
As much as BC is right, if you are anything like me, you won't feel settled about this matter unless you talk about it with the parents.

I have a rule for myself. I never jump on anything that bothers me. I give it 3 full days and if on that 3rd day it is still bothering me, I will discuss the matter/issue.

I would confront the parents and just ask them. It may be something that you can easily fix with the parents. Or not.

If it is not something that you are willing to fix, then it could be something that you might be willing to take into consideration to improve your program.
littletots 01:58 PM 08-11-2015
I wouldn't say anything. Just be in the "know".
hope 03:33 PM 08-11-2015
olace a post it note with "Good luck!" On it and place it back in his bag. Lol.
daycare 04:01 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
olace a post it note with "Good luck!" On it and place it back in his bag. Lol.
lol that was funny
WBee 04:48 PM 08-11-2015
I asked politely and they are decreasing the older child to 2x a week because, as I did know, she needs speech therapy however, the town will only cover the cost of therapy if she attends an recognized "official preschool" in her town for the therapy sessions. They won't go to her home or come to any other daycare. I'm happy I did ask. Thank you all!
Blackcat31 04:59 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by WBee:
I asked politely and they are decreasing the older child to 2x a week because, as I did know, she needs speech therapy however, the town will only cover the cost of therapy if she attends an recognized "official preschool" in her town for the therapy sessions. They won't go to her home or come to any other daycare. I'm happy I did ask. Thank you all!
Why? Wouldn't they have told you once they had finalized their plans?
midaycare 05:46 PM 08-11-2015
Totally off topic ... I love that pic! Is that in RI?
Play Care 03:37 AM 08-12-2015
Do you have a PT spot? Will you be able to fill the other days? When were they planning on letting you know?
Reply Up