Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Reassuring New Parents Kids Are Fine the Minute They Leave
hottie8962 12:41 AM 08-15-2015
Hi id like some help to reassure new parents that there kid is totally fine the minute the walk out the door.one new kid been here 6 times he is three days a week first three times he was fine last three times crying /screaming when parents leaves.parent worrys did some happen I said no? Did any thing happen to him confused I said no? Why? She said its weird that he wanted to come now he doesn't, I explained the first couple times he came it was new here so he wanted to check it didn't care about mommy, I said he now realized mommy is not staying mommy is leaving me here.she said ya make sense.I also explained its normal if with kids who been here many years may do that occasion aly (rarely).sometimes they really one come some times they dont its normal. Today is his six time come ing here he cried but before the door even closes all the way he stops crying and is perfectly fine. (We all no kids show off in front of parents). Anyways when she left my sister was on the porch heard her say and this is why I hate leaving him here! Im a nice person but really then take him home with u.I even joked at pick up today do I need to get a camera for mommy to see u are fine when she leaves.ugh
Michael 12:49 AM 08-15-2015
Welcome to the forum. We are mostly active during the daytime so hopefully some member will answer your question tomorrow.
childcaremom 02:16 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by hottie8962:
Hi id like some help to reassure new parents that there kid is totally fine the minute the walk out the door.one new kid been here 6 times he is three days a week first three times he was fine last three times crying /screaming when parents leaves.parent worrys did some happen I said no? Did any thing happen to him confused I said no? Why? She said its weird that he wanted to come now he doesn't, I explained the first couple times he came it was new here so he wanted to check it didn't care about mommy, I said he now realized mommy is not staying mommy is leaving me here.she said ya make sense.I also explained its normal if with kids who been here many years may do that occasion aly (rarely).sometimes they really one come some times they dont its normal. Today is his six time come ing here he cried but before the door even closes all the way he stops crying and is perfectly fine. (We all no kids show off in front of parents). Anyways when she left my sister was on the porch heard her say and this is why I hate leaving him here! Im a nice person but really then take him home with u.I even joked at pick up today do I need to get a camera for mommy to see u are fine when she leaves.ugh
Maybe have a little chat again with mom. Explain that this is normal, that he calms down quite quickly after she leaves. What is your policy if they don't? I explain that if they haven't calmed down within a half hour that I will call parents at that point. It might even help to take a picture of him happily playing (shortly after drop off) and text it to mom to reassure her.
finsup 03:51 AM 08-15-2015
Verbally reassure her he's fine and that its a really normal stage. Then text her a pic of dck playing happily once he calms down That seems to really help new/first time moms!
Controlled Chaos 06:59 AM 08-15-2015
Yep if a child has a hard drop off I always text parents a pic once child is playing happily it's usually less than a min
Heidi 07:48 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Yep if a child has a hard drop off I always text parents a pic once child is playing happily it's usually less than a min
Same here...sometimes, they're not even down the road yet.
daycare 07:57 AM 08-15-2015
honeymoon phase wore off. He now has to do this, verses he thought it was something he WANTED to do. SO very normal.

I had a mom not believe me that her kid calmed right as the door shut because of how out of control her was. So I took video ob my phone and sent it right to her or I told her leave and remain on the porch so he can't see you. After that she realized he was either working her or just upset with her.

I think its hard for kids to give up their stuff, they have a great set up at home wtih their toys and their parents. and now it's time to give that up so they freak out crying when they find out they have to leave it.

another reason he could be crying, is that the parents don't have a predictable routine for him. I would find out what his morning routine is and talk to her about that.

i have had families roll their kids out of bed and try to bring them when they are still half a sleep. That doesn't work, who wants that does to them??? not me

then you have families that let the kid walk the dog one day out of routine before DC and the next day they are having a flip out tantrum because they want to go home and walk the dog, but there was not time today, so instead they rushed him to daycare in full tantrum.

I think you get my point. lol

good luck
jenboo 06:20 PM 08-15-2015
Definitely send a picture as soon as he is calm! I have done this and the parents usually get the picture before they are out of the driveway.
hottie8962 09:01 PM 08-16-2015
Ok thanks I just got two more kids doing the same thing so i sent a picture today I might get a cheap baby monitor also were they can hold the monitor for a minute on the porch.ugh I feel like a referee.I know that with these kids its because they are over tired and they just started.two come a little past bed time, and the third one comes past his nap t ime due to mom taking bus.
BabyMonkeys 01:09 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Definitely send a picture as soon as he is calm! I have done this and the parents usually get the picture before they are out of the driveway.

Unregistered 01:37 PM 08-17-2015
Mom just doesn't want dcb to cry, period. It's not you!
I agree, take a pic!
e.j. 03:42 PM 08-17-2015
I either call the parent as soon as the child calms down so she can hear the quiet for herself or I ask her to leave but stand just outside my door and listen. It normally takes just a minute or two for the child to calm down and for the parent to realize the child is fine.

If the parent seems overly anxious, I also remind her of the open door policy. For some dc parents, just knowing that I know they can stop in unexpectedly during the day seems to make them feel better. I also assure them they can call/email me as often as they need to to feel better about leaving their child in my care.

As far as the comment your sister overheard, ("This is why I hate leaving him here!")....Personally, I wouldn't joke around with something like that. As a parent who hated dropping my own kid off at day care, I get how she's probably feeling but I'd have a hard time getting past it without addressing it directly with her.
MarinaVanessa 01:15 PM 08-18-2015
I use a letter very similar to BlackCat's that I hand out to new clients. Maybe you can use it to give yourself ideas of what to say or maybe write up your own letter. It's VERY common for kids to need an adjustment period or be fine at first and then suddenly in 2-3 weeks get separation anxiety.

First Day Fears

Dear Daycare Families,
Whether this is your child’s first time in daycare or your child has been in daycare before, the first day at a new place can be a scary time for children (and some moms and dads too!) Your child will walk in to a new place with new children, new grownups and new “stuff”. Maybe Mom or Dad look a little teary-eyed or worried. It’s no wonder some children suddenly cling to parents or cry! It’s completely natural for the both of you to feel this way!
When a parent departs, the child may feel nervous or anxious and may cry and protest. This is called separation distress. It is a part of the normal development of establishing independence and autonomy. The intensity of a child’s distress depends mostly on the child’s personality and temperament but can also depend on the manner in which adults handle the anxiety and in their departure.

Through experience I have found that it is in the child’s best interest if the child is given a quick farewell hug and kiss, reminded that you will return and then followed by a quick exit. While there may be tears, prolonging your departure only creates more stress on the child. While sometimes a stressful departure cannot be avoided, you can however make it shorter. Children are resilient and adapt very quickly after a parent has gone and usually within minutes have begun to play.

Here are a few tips for getting through those first few days.
• Act confident. If you seem anxious and unsure, children will pick up on it and start wondering if there really is something to worry about!

• If possible, plan on staying for 5 to 10 minutes the first day or two while your child settles. A longer or shorter amount of time may make separation harder.

• When it is time for you to leave, make sure you say goodbye. Sneaking out when the child is occupied can make kids panic later which can make separation more difficult the next day.

• Separation anxiety sometimes shows up later even if no separation anxiety was present the first week. Sometimes 1-4 weeks later. Don’t worry! This is normal.

Please remember that I am a parent myself that has had to put a child in daycare before and I really do understand how hard this can be. I know that you are entrusting me with a very precious gift, the care of your child, and I feel honored that I will be your child’s caregiver. If your child is having an especially hard time, I will give you a call so that we can discuss how to proceed.

Thank you. I’m looking forward to a great partnership!
Sincerely,
Provider
permanentvacation 02:11 PM 08-18-2015
I literally DO record their children on my cell phone camera for the first couple of days and once they calm down, I walk my cell phone camera over to the clock and record the time that they calmed down. Then I record the child playing or doing whatever activity they got interested in for a few moments. I then call the parent over the phone and put them on speaker phone so they can hear that their child has stopped crying and that everyone in the daycare is happily playing. When the parent comes to pick up their child that night, I show them my recording.

That usually calms the parents down.
Tay 06:43 AM 08-19-2015
I had a child that would cry at drop off time but I mean kick and scream crying, once I close the door when parents left the kid would instantly be smiling and playing with the other kids so I would snap a pic right away and send it to parents to make them see the child was ok. Funny thing is at times, parents where still in my driveway ready to head out when I sent the pic. 😂
Ariana 06:55 AM 08-19-2015
It's all about the parents energy in my opinion. I have had kids that act completely differently with one parent than the other at drop off. Oddly enough they seem to act out the most when being dropped off by their dads!
renodeb 10:17 AM 08-19-2015
Honey moon phase is over. I just started a new one, this is his second week here. (Thankfully he is ft). His first week he came right in and right into the fold. This is his second week and he is more resistant to being dropped off, more resistant to nap time, etc. Some parents are just never convinced, taking pictures or video is a great idea. Most of my little ones are fine the second they shut the door. Kids cry sometimes, it's just a natural part of processing through there emotions. I hope everything works outs.
Deb
irishrose 10:29 AM 08-19-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Verbally reassure her he's fine and that its a really normal stage. Then text her a pic of dck playing happily once he calms down That seems to really help new/first time moms!

We have had a few children, both new and 'regulars' who have break-downs when mom leaves. These usually only last a few minutes after mom or dad walks out the door. Most of the times the child is happily playing before their parents even get in their car. When the children are happily playing, I call their name and snap a quick picture of them smiling big and playing with toys and then send it to mom or dad with a little message saying something like, "No more tears - we're having a much better morning!" or "(Name) is doing much better and happily playing with ...." I usually get a text back with a thank you.

One time, we had two new children start and they were having a rough first week adjusting to their new schedule. I did what I mentioned above and the mom texted me back saying, "Thank you so much - I never had anyone do that. I feel so much better."

The parents are happy, the child is happy, you are happy. Win-win-win! I've also noticed that when parents feel much more comfortable and at ease when dropping their children off, the children will pick up on their parents feelings and the transition will be that much smoother.

Good luck!

Controlled Chaos 11:09 AM 08-19-2015
Originally Posted by irishrose:
We have had a few children, both new and 'regulars' who have break-downs when mom leaves. These usually only last a few minutes after mom or dad walks out the door. Most of the times the child is happily playing before their parents even get in their car. When the children are happily playing, I call their name and snap a quick picture of them smiling big and playing with toys and then send it to mom or dad with a little message saying something like, "No more tears - we're having a much better morning!" or "(Name) is doing much better and happily playing with ...." I usually get a text back with a thank you.

One time, we had two new children start and they were having a rough first week adjusting to their new schedule. I did what I mentioned above and the mom texted me back saying, "Thank you so much - I never had anyone do that. I feel so much better."

The parents are happy, the child is happy, you are happy. Win-win-win! I've also noticed that when parents feel much more comfortable and at ease when dropping their children off, the children will pick up on their parents feelings and the transition will be that much smoother.

Good luck!

After I have sent the happy pictures, parents do drop off better. They are calm, upbeat and trusting with drop offs - makes a world of difference
Tags:separation, separation anxiety
Reply Up