Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack n Plays
Unregistered 03:16 PM 02-08-2011
How old you keep a child in a pack n play? I have a 14 month old DCB in a pack n play and was just wondering what is a good age to transition him to a mat.
Abigail 08:41 PM 02-08-2011
Our daycare transitions at 12 months of age onto a cot. Some providers keep them in PNPs until they're two. It's really depending on the child's development also. Keep in mind that PNPs have a weight limit also. Once they're able to climb out or possibly tip it over, it's time to say goodbye to the PNPs forever because it's a safety concern then.
blueclouds29 05:26 PM 02-11-2011
I only have 4 babies including mine. So its not a big deal, just wondering when i should start. Btw, i'm the unregistered guest from the top, i just registered and made a username! I love coming on here and getting ideas.
Abigail 10:03 PM 02-11-2011
Welcome Blueclouds29!

It's really up to you. If the ages are staggered and you ONLY have infants...meaning no others on mats/cots, I would probably move the two oldest to the mats/cots together so they're not "alone" in the transition. It will be tough though-mostly for you-because they'll want to get up and walk and explore. We have most on cots and only 3 infants left to transfer to them. Our last one was 13-14 months before she got it (started on her first birthday!) but now she is the first one sleeping on the cot! It's wonderful and so nice to watch the little ones grow.
JenNJ 06:07 AM 02-13-2011
I keep them in until 2 - 2.5. It really depends what is going on at home with the crib/bed situation. I've never had issues bc my kids know better than to try to climb out or rock the pnp.
nannyde 06:27 AM 02-13-2011
around 3.5 ish
Unregistered 09:00 AM 02-15-2011
Well, when they climb out then you will know its time. hehehe! My state doent allow kids on mats until 18 m/o. I say the longer there in a crib the better!
Debbie
laundrymom 10:02 AM 02-15-2011
I do it asap. 13-15 mo here. I hate pnp's.
jojosmommy 10:16 AM 02-15-2011
I try it around 18 months but depending on the kid it can take up to 2 yrs. to get them fully transitioned. By 2 they are out of pnp because I don't like having them all over the house and I think they can handle the responsibility of staying on their mat. Plus all the kids I have had are big so they would exceed the weight limit by 2 anyway.

Only 1 kid has given me a tough time on it, getting up and running around or bugging other kids for a few months. Each week I would try again and eventually she got it. But like someone else said, it depends on what they are doing at home.
Sunny Day 11:11 AM 02-15-2011
Here it really depends on the child. I keep them in the pack and play's as long as I can and they're okay with it--as long as they cannot climb out, don't try to climb out and are within the weight limits. It also depends on how/where they sleep at home. My kiddies are all under 3 and only my little girl who is turning 3 this week sleeps in a bed and one other little boy sleeps on a cot on the floor (he is 18 months and REFUSES to be in the pack and play). All 3 of my other dck are around 2.5 and they all still sleep in the pack and plays--they wouldn't stay put and sleep other wise, and all their parents are fine with them being in the pnp.
Tags:pack n play
Reply Up