Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minimalist And Daycare Provider?? Is It Possible??
SunflowerMama 05:33 AM 01-13-2012
I've been reading a lot about the minimalist lifestyle and would LOVE to reduce the clutter in our house and really only hold onto things we actually NEED and USE frequently.

Does anyone out there consider themself a minimalist and how does that carry over into your daycare? Toys, supplies, etc.

Over the last 2 weeks I've tackled 2 big areas...our large walk in pantry/storage closet and our kitchen and have purged about 6 bags of trash and a van full of Goodwill items. It feels AMAZING and the stress of not having all that stuff around that we never touched and was just taking up space is awesome!

If you do see yourself as a minimalist I'd love to see pictures of your space and how it's reflected in your daycare setup.
laundrymom 05:37 AM 01-13-2012
My personal things are minimalistic. But work is work. It just happens to be in my home. Our personal clutter reduces every day. I feel more streamlined with less.
Solandia 05:40 AM 01-13-2012
I wouldn't consider myself a hard core minimalist, but I do hate clutter.

For the daycare area, I do not have big space hogging toys (no big play kitchen, tents or tunnels). No kiddie tables/chairs they tend to be more of a hazard than useful...we have plenty of space to setup our train set and more elaborate pretend play things.

I only keep out enough toys that can be picked up in 5 minutes. The kids play MUCH better and happier with fewer things to overwhelm. I have plenty of toys, they are stored & rotated...a few basics kept out all the time.

In the kitchen---I have one set of dishes, one cup or bottle, and set of flatware for each child. Everything gets washed & dried immediately after use. THAT is nice...not to have 20 cups to store, because they piled up in the sink or dishwasher.
melskids 05:51 AM 01-13-2012
This was my New Years resolution this year. I'm looking foward to reading the responses!

My BIL is from Thailand, and he is Buddist. I know with his beliefs, They don't allow anything in to their "space" that doesnt serve a true "purpose".

I'm starting with that mindset....and going through one room at a time.
Zoe 06:09 AM 01-13-2012
I've never considered myself a "minimalist" but it does sound like me. We used to live in a very small two bedroom townhouse with myself, DH, DS, and DD along with 2 dogs and a cat. We couldn't have much in the house so I would be getting rid of everything all the time so we wouldn't be on an episode of Hoarders!

Now that we're in a 4 bedroom house complete with basement and 2 car garage, it looks like all my purging paid off. It's very neat and NO clutter whatsoever. DH can mess up the garage all he wants but in the house...no way. If it doesn't have a place, it's gone.

You could say the same for my daycare area, but I do have more toys in the closed off deck that is the daycare storage room so that I can rotate toys around so the kids don't get bored with the ones that are out.

I just don't see the point in bulk. It looks terrible. JMHO.
SilverSabre25 06:17 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
This was my New Years resolution this year. I'm looking foward to reading the responses!

My BIL is from Thailand, and he is Buddist. I know with his beliefs, They don't allow anything in to their "space" that doesnt serve a true "purpose".

I'm starting with that mindset....and going through one room at a time.
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
My personal things are minimalistic. But work is work. It just happens to be in my home. Our personal clutter reduces every day. I feel more streamlined with less.
YES

Working on it, though I didn't have a name for it before now

Some things, I will never get my husband to part with, some things I will never part with, but if I can reduce the clutter and "noise" (It is noise to me--visual noise) then those things that are left are things that I love, even if they are not minimal. And they do serve a purpose--happiness. Aesthetics, in some cases, but that happifying to me.
Sunchimes 07:32 AM 01-13-2012
I would love to be this way but I can't figure out what to do about sentiment and hobbies. I have a lot of hobbies. I don't have time for them at the moment, but when I do, I don't want to have to buy new supplies...those things are expensive. I'm also the family genealogist, so I have "custody" of so many things from the past. I love them, no one else really cares about them. My grandpa's WW I shaving kit isn't going anywhere. It just takes up space. I'm too sentimental I know. It's a failing because a huge part of me screams "less, less". My Word of the Year for 2012 is Release. Losing 20 pounds would have been so much easier for a resolution.
Heidi 07:43 AM 01-13-2012
My first husbands grandma and granpa traveled alot, and had many, many treasures in their home that they had collected. Everything from and African mask (as far as I know, they never traveled to Africa) to those little bells and thimbles you get at tourist places. Some of these things were truly valuable, and some only valuable to them because of the memories (so what if they got the mask in Omaha, they remembered that trip to Omaha because of it).

When they died, everything got piled up on the front lawn for auction.

I TRY to remember that every time I go shopping. We have an adorable (fairly small) log home. It is fun to decorate, and there are SO many cute things out there, but eventually, it will all end up on the front lawn, 'cause nobody will want the cr**.

laundrymom 08:15 AM 01-13-2012
Ding ding ding!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bbo:
My first husbands grandma and granpa traveled alot, and had many, many treasures in their home that they had collected. Everything from and African mask (as far as I know, they never traveled to Africa) to those little bells and thimbles you get at tourist places. Some of these things were truly valuable, and some only valuable to them because of the memories (so what if they got the mask in Omaha, they remembered that trip to Omaha because of it).

I TRY to remember that every time I go shopping. We have an adorable (fairly small) log home. It is fun to decorate, and there are SO many cute things out there, but eventually, it will all end up on the front lawn, 'cause nobody will want the cr**.

melskids 08:21 AM 01-13-2012

I cried my eyes out the day we cleaned out my grandparents home. Even though none of us wanted the stuff, it was important to them, and watching it all get chucked in a dumpster was so sad. It was like we were throwing their lives away. But it was just TOO MUCH for any of us to take on. (15 years worth of readers digest's just didnt do it for me)

We did all pick out a few things that MEANT something, but other then that, it was all chucked. It was ALOT of work, and I'm trying to keep that in mind as well.

I really am 1 stack of papers away from an episode of hoarders ....and I dont want to stick anyone with that mess.
sharlan 08:34 AM 01-13-2012
We went from a 1k sq ft home to a 4k sq ft home. We unfortunately went from 1k sq ft of junk to 10ksq ft of junk.

I've been working on "decluttering" for the past two weekends. We started with the garage and unloaded a whole dumpster full of trash/junk. Usable things went to Goodwill. E-waste went to the recycler.

Last weekend I hit the kitchen (every single cabinet and drawer), butler's pantry, pantry, broom closet, and upstairs linen closet. We filled another dumpster load and sent 4 loads of usable junk to a friend who's daughter is having a Goodwill pickup for her cheerleading team.

Next weekend will be the playroom and backyard.

(My niece is an honest to goodness hoarder. I am making her clear out her junk, too. It's been really hard for her, but she is trying.)
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
We went from a 1k sq ft home to a 4k sq ft home. We unfortunately went from 1k sq ft of junk to 10ksq ft of junk.
"A house is just a place to keep crap while you are out buying more crap".
~ George Carlin
sharlan 09:17 AM 01-13-2012
Smart man.

We moved my fil into a home just about the time we moved here. All of his stuff ended up here. Both of my brothers died shortly after my fil, a lot of their things ended up here. It was hard, but I managed to let go of a lot of things.
iheartkids 10:05 AM 01-13-2012
I would be so much happier if I can let go of the big daycare crap like baby swings, bouncy seats, exercauser, bassinets, etc. What do you do with that stuff? I don't have a baby right now but what if in the future I do get one?

Plus I am a "keepsaker". I have soooo many boxes of keepsakes from my childhood, my husbands childhood, my children's stuff, my deceased mother's stuff. That is the majority of my storage room! My husband's grandparents have a minimalist lifestyle. Their house is so open and clean and their basement so open and bare. BUT she is always pulling stuff out (keepsake stuff) to show my kids from their lives, my husband's childhood, from cousins. And she still has quite a bit of toys that they all played with when they were young. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE SHE HIDES THIS STUFF!

I want to be more like her.... haha!
Sunchimes 10:16 AM 01-13-2012
Closets, the secret must be closets. I live in a 130+ year old house. They didn't build closets back then. I have enough floor space, but there is a new closet in the bedroom (my husband uses it), a teensy triangular one in the office (mine), and another completely useless triangular one in the kitchen. That's it. Everything is in the open or in the attic. (I swear I keep my youthful figure from climbing up the attic stairs every time I need a platter or a serving bowl.) I believe that if I had normal closets, I could have a neat and tidy house.
WImom 11:14 AM 01-13-2012
I hate clutter and organized closets is my trick and an organized storage room in the basement. Zero clutter calms me. I get cranky if my house is cluttered and I feel less patient with things that normally wouldn't bother me.

Personal - I go through my bins in the basement every 6 months to a year and make myself fill two bins to give to goodwill, if I didn't use it or don't plan too it's gone. My kids clothes go right to the consignment shop each season if they don't fit or can't be used for the younger one and every summer I go through their toys to take to consignment too. I have one bin for each of us (me, husband, and two kids) for keepsakes.

Daycare - I'm lucky to have a spare room and the closet is filled with those three drawer carts - each drawer is a weekly theme. I only keep what I can fit in it. I also have a shelf with shoe box type boxes for craft supplies all labeled. If I didn't have that my daycare would probably drive me nuts and be cluttered. Once the dc kids become bored with a toy I will take it out for a month or so and bring it back. If they still lose interest fast then it goes to the consignment shop.

Both my kids (7y and 9y are pack rats - so when they sleep over at friends guess who cleans their rooms?? They never notice the stuff is gone either and I do keep stuff that I know means alot to them. (MY 9 y DD keeps EVERYTHING - I'll see her on Hoarders one day. I found a small box full of price/upc tags from clothes the other day in her room...lol
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I would be so much happier if I can let go of the big daycare crap like baby swings, bouncy seats, exercauser, bassinets, etc. What do you do with that stuff? I don't have a baby right now but what if in the future I do get one?
I used to have a lot of infant stuff too. I finally got rid of it all because I stopped taking infants. Then one day, I took one and thought , I got rid of all my stuff....now i have learned the baby really doesn't need all that stuff. It is YOU that needs it all. (I don't mean you personally, I mean the caregivers).

Now the baby I have is bff's with the floor.
Solandia 11:59 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
Pass it on!! Seriously, I just give it away. My philosophy is that I bless someone with the things I no longer am actively using, and it will come back to me in my time of need (either the same item or something similar). Kind of like the room of requirement in Harry Potter. LOL

I do not have the space or desire to hold on to endless amounts of blankets, clothes or equipment or blankets. I make do or do without..
SunflowerMama 12:01 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to have a lot of infant stuff too. I finally got rid of it all because I stopped taking infants. Then one day, I took one and thought , I got rid of all my stuff....now i have learned the baby really doesn't need all that stuff. It is YOU that needs it all. (I don't mean you personally, I mean the caregivers).

Now the baby I have is bff's with the floor.
I totally agree and the 2 infants I have now are on the floor 99% of the time they are awake. I have one exersaucer and that's it and I'm thinking about ditching that but it does help every once and a while.
daycare 12:02 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I've been reading a lot about the minimalist lifestyle and would LOVE to reduce the clutter in our house and really only hold onto things we actually NEED and USE frequently.

Does anyone out there consider themself a minimalist and how does that carry over into your daycare? Toys, supplies, etc.

Over the last 2 weeks I've tackled 2 big areas...our large walk in pantry/storage closet and our kitchen and have purged about 6 bags of trash and a van full of Goodwill items. It feels AMAZING and the stress of not having all that stuff around that we never touched and was just taking up space is awesome!

If you do see yourself as a minimalist I'd love to see pictures of your space and how it's reflected in your daycare setup.
I am one big time. In every aspect of my house. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that I hate shopping...lol

I will email you a pic of my DCR so you can see how I keep it. Sorry, I don't want to post pics here of it. I like to remain anonymous.
godiva83 12:15 PM 01-13-2012
My lovely father is a 'collector' I would say borderline hoarder with too much space to cram his things. He has a huge house every spare inch covered with things, a cottage full and a 4 car garage and loft all FULL

I don't know what we will do when the time comes for him to leave us ... Most things are expensive and antiques but it would take months/ years to sort. I am trying to encourage him to start letting go of things slowly, either selling, donating, or giving to family.

For Christmas there was a huge break through. Instead of him going out to purchase more things, he picked out one special keep sake to give to everyone. My son got an old pedal car he had fixed up, painted with his name, my nephew a beautiful sled he redid and I got my great great grands wingback recovered. He has some real treasures... And I hope I don't end up hoarding his collections - something's are hard to part with.
Country Kids 12:54 PM 01-13-2012
My goal this year is to just basically finally streamline my home and yes I guess you could say become a minimalist.

Here is my plan:

Take one room a month and work on one shelf or one drawer a day. I will have 11 areas to work on which if the timing goes right I will have a beautiful house to entertain in by December 1.

I am not going to work on it though on the weekends. Just Monday through Friday and this will be during naptime. Some areas will be in the evening but hopefully not to many.

Also, I'm going to start using up ALL of my preschool curiculum that I have accumulated over the last 16 years and not rebuy anything for a long, long time. It should take a least 2-3 years to do this. I will also be using ALL my craft supplies and only buy if I have NOTHING that will work.

I am also going to make a regift it box. I have run across quite a few things that are brand new, unopened that could easily be reused. I already have two baby shower gifts thanks to decluttering a shelf under my bar.

I tried joining the Flylady forum to no avail. I'm actually suppose to call the network engineer so we can walk through the process and see what is going wrong. I would love to go through this journey with others to keep me on track.

Someone posted awhile back about making our houses like gramdmas when we were little. We always found things to do without a TON of entertainment options. Why can't we still do that?

As of yesterday I have already thrown or put in the yardsale box 80 things. That averaged to 20 things a day that was either trash or something we no longer used, needed or wanted for some reason. This all started to take place on the ninth of this month!

I'm very excited about this next years journey. Also, did you know if you got rid of 5.5 things a day you could be rid of 2012 things for the year! Isn't that weird because I know I can easily, easily do this.
Heidi 01:16 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:

I've been working on "decluttering" for the past two weekends. We started with the garage and unloaded a whole dumpster full of trash/junk. Usable things went to Goodwill. E-waste went to the recycler.

Last weekend I hit the kitchen (every single cabinet and drawer), butler's pantry, pantry, broom closet, and upstairs linen closet. We filled another dumpster load and sent 4 loads of usable junk to a friend who's daughter is having a Goodwill pickup for her cheerleading team.

Next weekend will be the playroom and backyard.

(My niece is an honest to goodness hoarder. I am making her clear out her junk, too. It's been really hard for her, but she is trying.)
Do you remember George Carlin's "stuff" skit?
Heidi 01:17 PM 01-13-2012
George Carlins stuff skit for those of you who are too young to remember..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
cheerfuldom 04:48 PM 01-13-2012
I am a minimalist and so is my daycare room. It can be done!
SunflowerMama 06:10 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am a minimalist and so is my daycare room. It can be done!
Ohh I'd love to see some pictures of your daycare room!!
athomemommy 12:14 PM 01-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am one big time. In every aspect of my house. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that I hate shopping...lol

I will email you a pic of my DCR so you can see how I keep it. Sorry, I don't want to post pics here of it. I like to remain anonymous.
I am too and just starting I really want to let go of some of their toys. And have it so they are more creative. I would really like to see your pictures. [email protected]

Thanks
Countrygal 02:38 PM 01-15-2012
I live in Amish country..... the ultimate minimalists.

Can you live like that and run a daycare? Not in this state UNLESS you are Amish. ROFL!!!

I am required by state law to have this, that and the other thing. My floor plan is open, which helps, but I am frantic to redistribute the "stuff" so as to have more room. If you come up with any answers or ideas, please, PLEASE, pass them on!!!!

Btw, sunchimes, it isn't only 130 yo houses that lack closet space. I would literally kill for a pantry - I'll bet you have one!
Heidi 05:00 PM 01-15-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I live in Amish country..... the ultimate minimalists.

Can you live like that and run a daycare? Not in this state UNLESS you are Amish. ROFL!!!

I am required by state law to have this, that and the other thing. My floor plan is open, which helps, but I am frantic to redistribute the "stuff" so as to have more room. If you come up with any answers or ideas, please, PLEASE, pass them on!!!!

Btw, sunchimes, it isn't only 130 yo houses that lack closet space. I would literally kill for a pantry - I'll bet you have one!
Country-I, too, am in WI...just next to Amish Country is Juneau County.

Oh, I think it's 764 licensing rules....!!!!
Sprouts 11:40 AM 01-16-2012
[quote=WImom;185930]I hate clutter and organized closets is my trick and an organized storage room in the basement. Zero clutter calms me. I get cranky if my house is cluttered and I feel less patient with things that normally wouldn't bother me.

Personal - I go through my bins in the basement every 6 months to a year and make myself fill two bins to give to goodwill, if I didn't use it or don't plan too it's gone. My kids clothes go right to the consignment shop each season if they don't fit or can't be used for the younger one and every summer I go through their toys to take to consignment too. I have one bin for each of us (me, husband, and two kids) for keepsakes.

Daycare - I'm lucky to have a spare room and the closet is filled with those three drawer carts - each drawer is a weekly theme. I only keep what I can fit in it. I also have a shelf with shoe box type boxes for craft supplies all labeled. If I didn't have that my daycare would probably drive me nuts and be cluttered. Once the dc kids become bored with a toy I will take it out for a month or so and bring it back. If they still lose interest fast then it goes to the consignment shop.

Just curious, how many of the 3 draw things do u have , if it is for every week then do you have enough for the whole year????

I wish I had an minimalist expert to just come and help me, for free, hehehe ...I have trouble just starting because I get overwhelmed!!
WImom 12:47 PM 01-16-2012
Sprouts - I have two themes in each drawer except a few themes just have one like holidays were I have more stuff. I also have a book shelf for all the books that are not in the daycare at this time. The shoebox boxes are ontop of the drawer carts and those have craft stuff in them that I don't use all the time.

I will try and take a photo tonight and post it to show you.
daycare 12:55 PM 01-16-2012
[quote=Sprouts;186559]
Originally Posted by WImom:
I hate clutter and organized closets is my trick and an organized storage room in the basement. Zero clutter calms me. I get cranky if my house is cluttered and I feel less patient with things that normally wouldn't bother me.

Just curious, how many of the 3 draw things do u have , if it is for every week then do you have enough for the whole year????

I wish I had an minimalist expert to just come and help me, for free, hehehe ...I have trouble just starting because I get overwhelmed!!
I have one tower of drawers in my DCR and it has 10 small drawers.... It is actually one for scrap booking, but it works great for what I need..
I can show you what it looks like..
daycare 12:58 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
I am too and just starting I really want to let go of some of their toys. And have it so they are more creative. I would really like to see your pictures. [email protected]

Thanks
just saw this...I will email you as soon as my DCK go down for naps
Sprouts 05:52 PM 01-16-2012
Cool I am excited to see
WImom 08:40 AM 01-18-2012
okay here are my pics - this is a closet in a spare room we have. The Bookshelf is right outside the closet. I just bring down a theme bin each week and everything I need is in there.
Attached: IMG_0140-1.jpg (131.5 KB) IMG_0139-1.jpg (50.0 KB) 
Cat Herder 10:23 AM 01-18-2012
WImom, where are the bolt locks????

My crew would just consider your storage a challenge.....

Houdini's, Daredevils and Kleptomaniacs abound in my house.....

Childproof, high and locked are my themes.... Well, maybe "bulk minimalist" would fit, too....

I keep my stuff in the pull down attic in the playroom... I kid you not...they try to jump high enough to grab the rope.
MrsB 10:26 AM 01-18-2012
I used to have alot of baby items too but what I do is if I dont have any infants and I am not expected to get any for the next 4-6 months or so I sell them at my local consignment event or to a consignment shop, craigslist, garage sale or donate it. Then if I get an infant, I buy the gear that I "need" by one of the means I mentioned above. I never buy it new. Plus, if you buy it used and its under a $100 you can write it off as an expense that year. If you buy it new it could be over $100 and then you would have to depreciate it over 7 years. Which is too long for most of the baby gear to be used anyway.
WImom 11:12 AM 01-18-2012
Cathedar - this is in my spare room upstairs not in the dc room. I can't stand clutter so I couldn't have this in my actual dc room. Yeah, I'd need a bolt lock on this if it was in the daycare.
Heidi 11:20 AM 01-18-2012
okay here are my pics - this is a closet in a spare room we have. The Bookshelf is right outside the closet. I just bring down a theme bin each week and everything I need is in there.
woaw man, that is awesome!
Cat Herder 11:30 AM 01-18-2012
Cathedar - this is in my spare room upstairs not in the dc room. I can't stand clutter so I couldn't have this in my actual dc room. Yeah, this I'd need a bolt lock on this if it was in the daycare.
I am soooooooo jealous of you right now... THERE, I said it.
Meeko 12:24 PM 01-18-2012

I only got as far as "log home" I am now rocking in the corner besides myself with envy !!! It is my dream to have a log home one day. We moved into our 'forever home" a few years ago, but we still tell each other "this is until we get a log home!!!"
Sprouts 12:52 PM 01-18-2012
Wow, very nice. How many years did it take for you to do all of that?
Countrygal 02:56 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am soooooooo jealous of you right now... THERE, I said it.
Me, too! That closet is about three times bigger than the one in my spare room - I think it's about 1/4 the size of my spare room!!!!! I need a basement!!!!!! WHine, Cry, Beg, Whimper..... sigh
Daycaremomof2 11:29 AM 01-19-2012
I have too many toys for sure! My kids are more than happy to play with paper towel rolls, sticks, grass, and sofa cushion pillows, so I dont know why I hang on to so much. I keep the playroom stocked with toys for the daycare- but reading this makes me want to purge everything in the rest of my house lol!
WImom 11:56 AM 01-19-2012
It took me a few Saturdays of organizing, I've only been in business for 2 years and started right away. The closet isn't really that much bigger than other closets of homes I've had or been in. Or maybe closets in WI are just bigger than other places since we have so many layers with the cold?...lol. My home was built in the 60's so it's not new or anything.

Thanks for the kind comments.
Heidi 12:34 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I only got as far as "log home" I am now rocking in the corner besides myself with envy !!! It is my dream to have a log home one day. We moved into our 'forever home" a few years ago, but we still tell each other "this is until we get a log home!!!"
na na na boo boo?

hey, I got two molars drilled out today (fillings replaced). Let me have my one moment of fun...lol
Attached: house pictures 004.jpg (147.6 KB) house pictures 009.jpg (100.4 KB) 
Sprouts 01:42 PM 01-19-2012
na na na boo boo?

hey, I got two molars drilled out today (fillings replaced). Let me have my one moment of fun...lol
If my husband saw this he would sell our house and buy that one with out telling me lol beautiful!!
Heidi 03:33 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
If my husband saw this he would sell our house and buy that one with out telling me lol beautiful!!
For the record, it is beautiful, but quite small for a "log home". I'd say 1800 sq ft finished. It's also not fun that we will be re-staining it this spring after 5 years.

On the other hand, when we are gone for a few days, and come home, our house certainly "rises up to greet us" as Oprah likes to say, especially if I clean before we go. The smell of pine alone is enough to say "welcome home". Too bad it usually smells like dirty diapers in here!
Tags:downsizing, minimalist, simple
Reply Up