Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broken PNP Board
EchoMom 12:58 PM 10-18-2013
How do you repair or replace a broken or warped PNP bottom? I didn't realize it was a bad idea to completely drench a bottom by hosing it down after a blow out. The board didn't hold up to it and warped and is weak/broken.

I ripped open the PNP boards, went to Home Depot to have new pieces cut of a similar board material. Sewed the whole thing back together. Then 30 min after it was finally repaired, by 2 year old DS jumped in it as a bassinet and broke one of the boards.

Have you had broken, curved boards before? What did you do?
MNMum 01:17 PM 10-18-2013
I don't think we are allowed to. Has to be used according to manufacturer recs. Following to see what others say.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 10-18-2013
I have had to go out and buy a new one.
EchoMom 01:37 PM 10-18-2013
Legally unlicensed so DIY is fine with me.
Unregistered 02:04 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Legally unlicensed so DIY is fine with me.
This is why there are regulations. Even if you are legally unlicensed you still have to abide by certain rules and you have to keep safety as your number 1 priority. There are pack n plays at Target for $40. Go buy one, or put the 2 year old on a mat. But, please, please don't become a news story where the 2 year old ends up in the hospital or worse because you took it upon yourself to try to DIY! Trust me, I DIY everything, but not when it comes to things like this. You can also go to your Pack n Play's manufacture site and buy replacement parts.
daycarediva 02:04 PM 10-18-2013
I would never diy something a child is left unattended in. Too much risk and liability, imho. Last time my dck had a blow out, I had to replace (at my cost) my only pnp.

You PERSONALLY can still be held liable, licensed or not.
Unregistered 02:29 PM 10-18-2013
I agree with everyone else. You cannot try to shortcut this. Period. It's a child's life at stake. I would also challenge you to go to a safety class for childcare. It's troubling that you would even try to DIY a PNP.
EchoMom 02:37 PM 10-18-2013
Holy S***, way to jump all over me! My goodness, it was a QUESTION. I mean really.... I was ASKING if anyone had experience with it.

2 year olds do not use the PNPs, they DO sleep on nap mats. My OWN DS is 2 years old and he climbed in it in it's bassinet setting and was jumping around in it because it was new to him since it had just been repaired.

And for pete's sake I DID just buy 4 new PNPs, but this one is my own personal PNP from when my DS was little and it is an expensive one with lots of attachments with it so I don't WANT to toss it IF I could fix it.

I was just asking for help if it was possible to save throwing the entire thing away. It's not like I went out and duct taped the darn thing.

I used a seam ripper to take the stiching out of the PNP, pulled out the boards, measured the exact size, found very similar material, had new boards cut, replaced them in the exact secure fashion so they wouldn't slip inside the bedding, and resewed the side that I opened up.
Unregistered 03:38 PM 10-18-2013
I would call the manufacturer and buy a replacement bottom.
EchoMom 07:13 PM 10-18-2013
Thank you. That was a good suggestion I wouldn't have thought of. I will for sure do that if they sell bottom replacemeNts.
Unregistered 07:16 AM 10-19-2013
I have had that happen to mine too. This may sound weird, but I have had a couple of PNPs that have gotten tears in the mesh, so I have had to toss them. I save the bottom piece and have replaced bent, bulging bottom pieces from other PNP's with the saved ones. As long as they are the exact same size, this works with a tight fitting sheet on it.

It seems like once the little ones are standing, the bottom of PNPs don't last very long.

You know people, there is a way to express yourselves and your opinions on this forum without jumping all over someone. We don't all have an endless supply of money to replace everything immediately or term families at the drop of a hat. I remember I posted something on here about a difficult child (I was looking for support and suggestions) and I mostly got 'you should not be caring for this child if you don't know what you are doing'.

Yikes, can we not be compassionate towards people and still express ourselves?
sly red cid 08:02 AM 10-19-2013
We just did this because one kid keeps folding up the kind that comes with them...used the same kind of board that is pegboard material(it's smooth not rough like plywood) Hubs rounded the corners and works just fine.
jenn 08:13 AM 10-19-2013
I think calling the manufacturer would be a good idea. Couldn't hurt!

If it doesn't work out to use it as a pack and play for sleeping anymore, look on pinterest. There are lots of ideas for removing one of the mesh sides and turning the rest into a reading nook.
cheerfuldom 09:56 AM 10-19-2013
We have been thru so many pack and plays but the next time the mesh breaks, I am going to do this

http://thriftydiydiva.com/diy-how-to...r-pack-n-play/

or if the board breaks, i will replace the board and do the above but not let kids sleep in it unattended. if you are in the room to supervise, then I would let an older child nap in it or play in it. looks like fun right?!
sharlan 10:53 AM 10-19-2013
I would try using 2 pieces of the peg board to see if that would hold up better.
countrymom 05:46 PM 10-19-2013
see if you can find one on craigslist, and just replace the bottom if you want to keep the whole thing. If you don't put yours down then I would look into a sturdier board. I hate how flimsy those boards are. also, look on garbage days, you would be amazed what people throw out.
countrymom 05:47 PM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have had that happen to mine too. This may sound weird, but I have had a couple of PNPs that have gotten tears in the mesh, so I have had to toss them. I save the bottom piece and have replaced bent, bulging bottom pieces from other PNP's with the saved ones. As long as they are the exact same size, this works with a tight fitting sheet on it.

It seems like once the little ones are standing, the bottom of PNPs don't last very long.

You know people, there is a way to express yourselves and your opinions on this forum without jumping all over someone. We don't all have an endless supply of money to replace everything immediately or term families at the drop of a hat. I remember I posted something on here about a difficult child (I was looking for support and suggestions) and I mostly got 'you should not be caring for this child if you don't know what you are doing'.

i agree with you. i don't have alot of money and spending 40 dollars is something hard to do when I have to pay the bills first.
momofboys 02:50 PM 10-20-2013

ITA - sorry Echomom that everyone was so quick to jump in & tell you how wrong you are. Geez people - get a life!
itlw8 03:41 PM 10-20-2013
I agree with everyone else. You cannot try to shortcut this. Period. It's a child's life at stake. I would also challenge you to go to a safety class for childcare. It's troubling that you would even try to DIY a PNP.
Again someone that chooses to be unregistered so they can put someone down.. You can be helpful without putting people down. Is it really necessary to say she needs to take a safety class???
playdate4 06:10 PM 10-20-2013
its amazing that PNP companies haven't figured a way to make these washable in the first place.... um kids puke poop boogers all the time in the PNP why cant they make them clean able..... I suggest like others call manufacture also I think your DIY techanique would have worked if 2 year old wouldn't have jumped in it LOL so fix it yourself if you want! I haven't experienced this yet.
Chelsea 06:37 PM 10-20-2013
Originally Posted by jbshell:
its amazing that PNP companies haven't figured a way to make these washable in the first place.... um kids puke poop boogers all the time in the PNP why cant they make them clean able..... I suggest like others call manufacture also I think your DIY techanique would have worked if 2 year old wouldn't have jumped in it LOL so fix it yourself if you want! I haven't experienced this yet.
I completely agree!!! It is really frustrating! I honestly think they do this on purpose so you have to go out and buy another one. Also something different for the boards. I have had 3 break on me. One due to a 4 year old climbing in pretending (playing house) to be a baby, the other 2 just normal wear with children under the weight limit.
caregiver 06:17 AM 10-21-2013

Sorry for those of you that have been jumped on also! I have also been jumped on a few times for posting and my posts were very Innocent and asking for advice, but people thought they needed to criticize me for just asking a question. I did not post or use this site for a long time because of that, all I wanted to get was advice and found out that people are SO quick to judge you that I felt I didn't need to be put down for asking questions, that is what I thought this site was for,advice and support.
I have recently startled to use this site again, but am very careful what I post as far as asking questions or putting my opinions on here. I have found it very helpful as far as knowing what other providers think and do. SO please people, don't judge or jump on us other providers so fast,we all are on here for support or advice and need other providers to talk with. Just wanted to express my opinion because I know what it feels like to be jumped on for just expressing and asking for advice.
SSWonders 07:04 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
Sorry for those of you that have been jumped on also! I have also been jumped on a few times for posting and my posts were very Innocent and asking for advice, but people thought they needed to criticize me for just asking a question. I did not post or use this site for a long time because of that, all I wanted to get was advice and found out that people are SO quick to judge you that I felt I didn't need to be put down for asking questions, that is what I thought this site was for,advice and support.
I have recently startled to use this site again, but am very careful what I post as far as asking questions or putting my opinions on here. I have found it very helpful as far as knowing what other providers think and do. SO please people, don't judge or jump on us other providers so fast,we all are on here for support or advice and need other providers to talk with. Just wanted to express my opinion because I know what it feels like to be jumped on for just expressing and asking for advice.

100% agree. I've limited the types of posts I've made as well. for the same reason.
EchoMom 07:40 AM 10-21-2013
Agreed. I've posted far less than I used to. Not worth the drama.
hgonzalez 08:44 AM 10-21-2013
Yeah, we have enough trouble with some parents. We don't need to attack each other or insinuate things about each other.
Tags:pack n play, pnp
Reply Up