Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After 18+ Years....
Zeke 10:25 PM 03-18-2015
Can't figure out how to delete the other one

Soooo... after 18+ Years....

I am about to drop my state license. I have been either state registered, approved, or licensed for almost 18 years... before that I was doing DC on my own usually every summer and some winters. I started our sitting for people before I had kiddos... took in regular scheduled kiddos when preg with my 1st... she will be 39 on the 27th of March! I had my FT daycare when I had a teen and a 1 & 3 y/o... then became approved with the state (accepting assistance kiddos) in 1997ish... with teens and a 2 y/o. Continued on to become registered by the state in I think 2003? And licensed shortly after that.

I am still going to be doing my daycare as usual, just not licensed. I need to cut back and simplify my life. I am almost 57, tho I am not hindered by my age It's the anxiety involved with licensing that I am tired of... NOT the kiddos

I am feeling HUGE anxiety with licensing... have only had 2 parents needing assistance the past few years... they no longer offer the food program etc. I seriously just need to lessen my stress, and this is what, much of my stress is from.

I KNOW WHAT I WANT... yet for ME... I am also having a very difficult time writing that letter to my licensor It is a HUGE HUGE change for me. I know I can GO BACK if I want too, but it's just so odd. So final.

I have tried to make a list of licensing pros and cons in my area (I live on an island with a population of about 3,000 people- we all know one another

LICENSING PROS

1. I can tell a parent or anyone: 'I am STATE LICENSED'
2. I can take state assist kiddos (2 or 3 the past 5 yrs)
3. Feels 'good' that I can take Foster kiddos in care when OCS needs me (2 in 11 yrs.. kinda still #2

LICENSING CONS---
(just a few simple ones off the top of my head

1. I have a small knit baby goods business- cannot crochet during *down* DC hours

2. No orders can be made or picked up during DC hours

3. SO MUCH PAPERWORK!

4. POP Ins whenever (Parents can pop in ANY TIME THEY WANT

5. HOURS DC training- taken most already (raised 5 kids and been doing this
30+ yrs

6. COST of training

7. Not allowed to have toys at side of yard for fear of pop in (not sure WHY?)

8. Lock up my entire house! All drawers & cabinets @ all times (I keep everything up!!)

9. Cannot sleep babes in my room

10. Massive paper-work every renewal

11. No kiddie pool in summer without PH checks & things like that.

12. Have to post noticeable sign if leave with kiddos- telling where we are etc. (I keep in text contact with parents)

12. No going for long walks and away from home for a picnic or anything without letting the state know we are going and getting special okay from families

The cons FARRR out-way the Pros... so WHY is this SO HARD??
Josiegirl 03:31 AM 03-19-2015
Why is it so hard? Because it's a big change and maybe you have fears about it? Are you afraid of not getting kids anymore?

I have to admit, if I could I would do the same thing. But laws have made it so hard to simply provide good safe loving care. You jump through all their hoops, then the next year they require more hoop jumping. Pretty soon you're concentrating more on getting the required # of training hours, keeping it sanitized enough, making sure you don't feed them too much but exactly enough of all the right stuff, taking so much time out of our day to wash hands exactly the right way, spraying down, wiping up, organizing paperwork, filling out paperwork, keeping records up to date. All this while we're supposed to keep little ones safe, healthy, happy, feeling loved, disciplining exactly right, offering all the expected curriculum and activities. Plus spending all the money you make getting the right equipment and materials, working with nice parents and not so nice parents, keeping yourself properly protected with contracts and insurance....well you all know what it takes.

If I really had a choice I'd go back to simply loving and playing with kids. Is that really so bad???
AuntTami 03:54 AM 03-19-2015
Every thing that you and PP have mentioned are the exact reasons why I've decided to not become licensed at this point. I'm enjoying every minute of loving and playing with my kiddos!

You know what you want, I know it seems final, but like you said you could go back to being licensed if you need to.
LysesKids 04:54 AM 03-19-2015
Because of all the cons of staying licensed, I would drop it... Oh wait I did lol. I do not regret being licensed exempt now & my parents love that I can actually play with the babies & cook how I want without somebody saying I did something the wrong way, or that my paperwork isn't in, and I don't have to have my home looking like a mini preschool (I care for babies only).... oh yeah, I also don't have to worry about QRIS program.

I have all the classes I need under my belt and I have clearance to take Foster kids (state did a background specifically so I could take them). The less stress the better
Thriftylady 07:11 AM 03-19-2015
I was state licensed in Kansas, had to be but not here in Ohio. The biggest issue I have run into is not accepting state pay kids, I would be full and have a waiting list if I did. I just really don't want the state running my business though.
crazydaycarelady 07:36 AM 03-19-2015
In my state we have licensed or not licensed. If you are not licensed I think you can watch 2 unrelated kids and that's it. I would become unlicensed if I was only going to watch two kids. I have been doing this for 23 years and always been licensed but the whole process has become overwhelming and ridiculous.
Zeke 11:07 PM 04-02-2015
ALL of your responses made me feel so much better! I have sent my parents the letter stating I am no longer going to be licensed after May... also sent one to my licensor.... there is a small part of me that feels sad and wishes I had not... this is the part that is just 'new' to me... CHANGE. The part of being FREE from the overwhelming rules, regs, pop-ins etc... I am already so HAPPY to be DONE with it!

My licensor DID seem genuinely sad I was pulling away from licensing, but it's just miserable I have done it for so MANY years and just want the freedom to come & go this summer. I want to be able to go for a walk without having to contact the state or leave a message on my front door etc.

I did loose one kiddo but that was one I was ready to loose. I have to cut back and that worked out I will miss her very much but it's part of what we do right!??

Thank you again! Maybe I will actually get the TIME now to be able to participate a bit ponce I no longer have to keep the records etc up!?
Josiegirl 02:06 AM 04-03-2015
Good for you!! If I could get away from being monitored by the state, I'd do it in a heartbeat. They institute so many darn rules now, it's hard to keep up and find time to actually BE with the dcks.
Gemma 04:50 AM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Why is it so hard? Because it's a big change and maybe you have fears about it? Are you afraid of not getting kids anymore?

I have to admit, if I could I would do the same thing. But laws have made it so hard to simply provide good safe loving care. You jump through all their hoops, then the next year they require more hoop jumping. Pretty soon you're concentrating more on getting the required # of training hours, keeping it sanitized enough, making sure you don't feed them too much but exactly enough of all the right stuff, taking so much time out of our day to wash hands exactly the right way, spraying down, wiping up, organizing paperwork, filling out paperwork, keeping records up to date. All this while we're supposed to keep little ones safe, healthy, happy, feeling loved, disciplining exactly right, offering all the expected curriculum and activities. Plus spending all the money you make getting the right equipment and materials, working with nice parents and not so nice parents, keeping yourself properly protected with contracts and insurance....well you all know what it takes.

If I really had a choice I'd go back to simply loving and playing with kids. Is that really so bad???
this exactly!
Gemma 04:55 AM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by Zeke:
ALL of your responses made me feel so much better! I have sent my parents the letter stating I am no longer going to be licensed after May... also sent one to my licensor.... there is a small part of me that feels sad and wishes I had not... this is the part that is just 'new' to me... CHANGE. The part of being FREE from the overwhelming rules, regs, pop-ins etc... I am already so HAPPY to be DONE with it!

My licensor DID seem genuinely sad I was pulling away from licensing, but it's just miserable I have done it for so MANY years and just want the freedom to come & go this summer. I want to be able to go for a walk without having to contact the state or leave a message on my front door etc.

I did loose one kiddo but that was one I was ready to loose. I have to cut back and that worked out I will miss her very much but it's part of what we do right!??

Thank you again! Maybe I will actually get the TIME now to be able to participate a bit ponce I no longer have to keep the records etc up!?
Maybe someday I will follow your footsteps, for now I'm happy for you!
Reply Up