Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Have A Leg To Stand On?
Play Care 01:55 PM 06-09-2015
I am going to charge my late fee tonight for the first time ever. Parent was 20 minutes late for pick up.

I looked at my contract with them, and it looks as though I had put that late fees start at my original close time of 4:45. However a few months ago I changed my Tuesday closing time to 4:30. In the change I had put that late fees would start at the new closing time...but then the computer I was using died and now I can't access the addendum.

So - do I charge the late fee because they knew full well I had made the change or not because of what the contract states?

ETA: She was 6 minutes late for my usual close time, and per the contract that would be 5 per minute so $30...
Baby Beluga 02:10 PM 06-09-2015
Given what the contract says, I would let it slide this time. However, I would print a new addendum and make them sign it for the file so if they are late again you will have back up.
spud912 02:14 PM 06-09-2015
So did they pick up at 4:50? If so, I would charge 5 minutes late and then have them sign the addendum to put in their file. Tell them that you are charging for the old closing time and giving them a break this time, but next time it happens you will charge for the new closing time, which is 4:30.
Controlled Chaos 02:20 PM 06-09-2015
I would charge them. Give them an invoice referencing the addendum and how late they were.
Play Care 02:26 PM 06-09-2015
Keep in mind that if I charge them by the contract, the late fee will actually be higher.

Contract - $5 per each minute late = $30
Addendum - $1 per minute = $20

She IS being charged, I'm not letting her get out of that. It's more the matter of how much and what to go by.
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Keep in mind that if I charge them by the contract, the late fee will actually be higher.

Contract - $5 per each minute late = $30
Addendum - $1 per minute = $20

She IS being charged, I'm not letting her get out of that. It's more the matter of how much and what to go by.
Normally a good family? Go with cheaper...

Tough family? Go with higher rate.

Some families learn better when the penalty is stiff.....easy families learn from their mistakes which is the point for fees IMO.
Play Care 03:15 AM 06-10-2015
They are my so-so family. I like them, but they came from unlicensed care and seem clueless about licensed care. They are the only family who is ever late for pick up. Last Tuesday I told her that I had to bring my kids to piano lessons right at 4:30 and she was still a few minutes late. Last night she had no idea that my DH was bringing my kids to their lesson, and she was 21 minutes late - meaning had I been the one to bring them they would have missed most of their lesson...But when her kid was taking dance and needed to be picked up early on Tuesdays, she was always here EARLY to get her. I'm not asking for early, I'm asking for on time. Which should be a given.
Then the last two Fridays she was 10-15 minutes late. Because I didn't say anything to her at the time, I am starting small, but I will be slapping her with fees every time now.

I sent this today:

"DCM,

Last evening you were 21 minutes late for pick up. A fee of $21 has been assessed and will be due with your payment. This reflects the $1 per minute late fee per the contract.
Please note that on Tuesdays I close promptly at 4:30 and on Fridays I close at 4:00. Should you be unable to pick up by those times, I suggest you make arrangements for someone else to pick up in order to avoid late fees.

Me"
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 06-10-2015
They are my so-so family. I like them, but they came from unlicensed care and seem clueless about licensed care. They are the only family who is ever late for pick up. Last Tuesday I told her that I had to bring my kids to piano lessons right at 4:30 and she was still a few minutes late. Last night she had no idea that my DH was bringing my kids to their lesson, and she was 21 minutes late - meaning had I been the one to bring them they would have missed most of their lesson...But when her kid was taking dance and needed to be picked up early on Tuesdays, she was always here EARLY to get her. I'm not asking for early, I'm asking for on time. Which should be a given.
Then the last two Fridays she was 10-15 minutes late. Because I didn't say anything to her at the time, I am starting small, but I will be slapping her with fees every time now.

I sent this today:

"DCM,

Last evening you were 21 minutes late for pick up. A fee of $21 has been assessed and will be due with your payment. This reflects the $1 per minute late fee per the contract.
Please note that on Tuesdays I close promptly at 4:30 and on Fridays I close at 4:00. Should you be unable to pick up by those times, I suggest you make arrangements for someone else to pick up in order to avoid late fees.

Me"

If for some reason you don't think she will "get it" or take it seriously consider adding a phrase like "If this continues to be an issue we may need to review our services agreement"

Sounds like she (DCM) is simply self-absorbed or selfish. Either way it's sucky if you have to miss any of your kids' activities etc...
spud912 10:00 AM 06-10-2015
Let us know what her response was....just curious .
Play Care 10:09 AM 06-10-2015
Email was apologetic and assuring me she will pay the late fee (um, yeah!). Some excuses as to why the lateness, but whatever

ETA: So $20 unexpected bucks, just in time for the weekend. Me thinks a cold one at our local brewery may be in my future
spud912 10:14 AM 06-10-2015
Email was apologetic and assuring me she will pay the late fee (um, yeah!). Some excuses as to why the lateness, but whatever

ETA: So $20 unexpected bucks, just in time for the weekend. Me thinks a cold one at our local brewery may be in my future
Awesome . Hopefully she things twice next time!
MarinaVanessa 08:26 PM 06-10-2015
Sounds like an awesome outcome. Can I make a suggestion? I don't wait on clients and have it in my handbook that if they are late in picking up that I won't wait around. I transport my own kids and therefore my daycare kids so I have all clients sign a transportation waiver. If and when I have somewhere to be after daycare hours and a parent is late I simply don't wait ... I leave and take their child with me.

I will say that I personally see it as a sign of disrespect to the parent/provider relationship if they are late EVER especially without a phone call to give a heads up. If they don't have the courtesy to call me to let me know they're running late I will leave and don't feel the need to offer the courtesy of calling them to let them know. I leave a note on my door and wait for their call, then I will give them my location and they have the choice to either come to me to get their child or to wait for me to return. Either way I charge my late pickup fee up until the time that I hand their child over to them. Personally I've had fantastic success in the past this way ... it only takes one time for them to get it.

You might want to think about doing something similar just in case you have to be somewhere so you and your kids don't miss out
Play Care 03:01 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Sounds like an awesome outcome. Can I make a suggestion? I don't wait on clients and have it in my handbook that if they are late in picking up that I won't wait around. I transport my own kids and therefore my daycare kids so I have all clients sign a transportation waiver. If and when I have somewhere to be after daycare hours and a parent is late I simply don't wait ... I leave and take their child with me.

You might want to think about doing something similar just in case you have to be somewhere so you and your kids don't miss out
I've had this policy in the past, but with new regulations don't know if this would fly.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 06-11-2015
I've had this policy in the past, but with new regulations don't know if this would fly.
Yeah, I don't transport kids here either and would NEVER consider doing so.

The hoops we have to jump through in order to do so are too much.

If a parent was late getting here, I'd be stuck with them until someone showed up to get them.

I would simply NOT be allowed to bring them anywhere for ANY reason.
MarinaVanessa 04:31 PM 06-12-2015
Never thought of that. I'm in CA and so far there's no regulations or requirements for us to transport. For me transporting is a must. I can't stand to be home all of my time and since one of the main reasons for me to do daycare was to be able to be with my kids when they were young and be able to take my kids and pick them up from school I require all clients to sign a waiver that says that they are aware that I transport and that I have their permission to do it.

Hopefully they won't keep you past pickup anymore because that stinks. Good luck. Keep us posted
Tags:late fee policy, late fees
Reply Up