Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Trying To Fill My Openings
MarinaVanessa 07:49 AM 12-09-2010
Why does the process have to be so hard? Grrr. My baby is now a month old and I've found my rhythm so I started to advertise again starting last weekend. I posted one ad on cragslist and have gotten lots of responses which is great but I notice a lot of shoppers. Any one else getting that?

I've had so many calls that I've had interviews Monday through today scheduled and have had to turn a few away without an interview. The thing is I still havn't met with someone that I absolutely wanted in my program KWIM? And even the others that I've met with are looking around and comparing apparently.

Mondays interview was a little strange because she didn't ask me about the program much. She came in and I offered her the tour and all of the information so she did leave knowing about us but she didn't initiate the questions. She also asked to hold my infant. I know they're cute but really?? She also kept mentioning things about her son being very active that made me think he might be a lot of work.

Tuesdays interview went well I thought and without any bells and whistles going off but I didn't really "feel it" KWIM. She was nice enough and her daughter was sweet and all but they needed extremely PT. At that point it would be better for her to pay a drop-in rate instead of my PT rate but then that wouldn't guarantee her a spot.

Yesterday's interview ended up being a girl that I used to work with many years ago but I did have a couple of concerns (that I kept to myself) like she's a young first time mom, she wasn't very responsible when we worked together, she would talk about how she'd get high all of the time etc. This was quite a few years ago so who knows what she's like now though. Also during the interview she kept telling her son no. "No, don't touch that" "No, put that back" "Sit here with me" "stay still" etc. I mean the point of her bringing him was so that I could observe him while he played with my daughter but she wanted him to sit still and not touch anything which made it hard. I think he's a very active child though, from what little I saw.

Today's interview is this evening and also for PT but she has 2 kids so income-wise it would be a little more than what I get for one FT client and so we will see how it goes. If I like them and they sign up I would get a little more than FT income for 2 kids for only a few hours in the evening a few days a week and their drop off time would be when one of my full-timers gets picked up which means that I could still take on another client on top of these two and still be within my capacity, meaning more money, meaning I still have to keep looking for another client.

I'm just a little bummed because usually I get lots of interviews for clients that I LOVE and I have to pick which one I want but now they're all "so-so" clients and they all tell me that they'll call me back or that they're looking at their options and all of them have been to at least 3 other daycare homes/daycer centers. I pulled out all of the stops, cleaned the house immaculately, put on my super-happy face, turned on the charm and even wore make-up and all for people that I don't even feel great about only to be told that they'll "get back to me". I just realized that this is going to be a little harder than I thought.
Live and Learn 07:58 AM 12-09-2010
it sounds like you are doing everything right. chin up....I expect your spot will be filled quickly......better to wait a little longer for a good match then to rush into a situation that you are getting a weird vibe from.
momofboys 08:16 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Why does the process have to be so hard? Grrr. My baby is now a month old and I've found my rhythm so I started to advertise again starting last weekend. I posted one ad on cragslist and have gotten lots of responses which is great but I notice a lot of shoppers. Any one else getting that?

I've had so many calls that I've had interviews Monday through today scheduled and have had to turn a few away without an interview. The thing is I still havn't met with someone that I absolutely wanted in my program KWIM? And even the others that I've met with are looking around and comparing apparently.

Mondays interview was a little strange because she didn't ask me about the program much. She came in and I offered her the tour and all of the information so she did leave knowing about us but she didn't initiate the questions. She also asked to hold my infant. I know they're cute but really?? She also kept mentioning things about her son being very active that made me think he might be a lot of work.

Tuesdays interview went well I thought and without any bells and whistles going off but I didn't really "feel it" KWIM. She was nice enough and her daughter was sweet and all but they needed extremely PT. At that point it would be better for her to pay a drop-in rate instead of my PT rate but then that wouldn't guarantee her a spot.

Yesterday's interview ended up being a girl that I used to work with many years ago but I did have a couple of concerns (that I kept to myself) like she's a young first time mom, she wasn't very responsible when we worked together, she would talk about how she'd get high all of the time etc. This was quite a few years ago so who knows what she's like now though. Also during the interview she kept telling her son no. "No, don't touch that" "No, put that back" "Sit here with me" "stay still" etc. I mean the point of her bringing him was so that I could observe him while he played with my daughter but she wanted him to sit still and not touch anything which made it hard. I think he's a very active child though, from what little I saw.

Today's interview is this evening and also for PT but she has 2 kids so income-wise it would be a little more than what I get for one FT client and so we will see how it goes. If I like them and they sign up I would get a little more than FT income for 2 kids for only a few hours in the evening a few days a week and their drop off time would be when one of my full-timers gets picked up which means that I could still take on another client on top of these two and still be within my capacity, meaning more money, meaning I still have to keep looking for another client.

I'm just a little bummed because usually I get lots of interviews for clients that I LOVE and I have to pick which one I want but now they're all "so-so" clients and they all tell me that they'll call me back or that they're looking at their options and all of them have been to at least 3 other daycare homes/daycer centers. I pulled out all of the stops, cleaned the house immaculately, put on my super-happy face, turned on the charm and even wore make-up and all for people that I don't even feel great about only to be told that they'll "get back to me". I just realized that this is going to be a little harder than I thought.
Try to stay positive! I know it is hard. I am going through the same thing, desperate to fill an opening (or two) and I do get some calls & requests but nothing ever pans out from the calls. I am trying to be upbeat & tell myself that soon the right opportunity will present itself I just need some patience!
AnythingsPossible 08:31 AM 12-09-2010
I had my last openings for 6 months b4 they were finally filled!! So I wish you luck in quickly filling them. I ended up taking one family that I wasn't thrilled with, you could smell the alcohol on the dad's breath when they came to the interview. I took them because their old daycare gave them 3 days notice that she was closing and the previous provider told me he was a good kid, but she had issues with the mother. So far it is working out, dad hasn't smelt like alcohol again, but if he ever does I will be calling the police department as soon as he leaves. Now mind you, this is the little guy i spoke of in a previous post, he does have some issues, but he is a nice boy. You have to ask how badly you need the money and how patient you are willing to be. Around here it's a fight to get clients, so if your area is the same, you may want to take what you can get unfortunately.
MarinaVanessa 09:04 AM 12-09-2010
Thanks ladies for your input and support. i know it'll take some time but it's still frustrating because I feel like I'm wasting my time. The extra income would be really nice to have but only if it's the right family KWIM?

Theres just so little demand now for daycare that I hate being shopped, and going through a half hour/hour interview and giving out materials only to never hear from them again. .
MG&Lsmom 09:44 AM 12-09-2010
Being shopped here too. I had that one no show family after begging me to take their son without even interviewing. Oh well.

I think I have a very PT kiddo starting next week, but I'll only believe it when it happens iykwim? But I really want him to work out. He's my DS's age and very advanced in speech and my DS is nonverbal and could really use the role model. I feel guilty typing that. Mom is on state cash assistance and we negotiated payment, but in the end I'll make a little more steady money, DS will have a playmate 2 days a week and I'll have an active kid on the books instead of just dropins.

I'm crossing my fingers you find that right fit soon!
E Daycare 09:47 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Thanks ladies for your input and support. i know it'll take some time but it's still frustrating because I feel like I'm wasting my time. The extra income would be really nice to have but only if it's the right family KWIM?

Theres just so little demand now for daycare that I hate being shopped, and going through a half hour/hour interview and giving out materials only to never hear from them again. .
Im having the same issues too. Opened up in March, had one client from June-October and they moved then have a new client that started last month. Ive been trying to have 2 steady clients but no go. A lot of shoppers, some people leaving a "hey do you do overnight Black Friday care?" on my daycare facebook page and people leaving messages but never calling back (3 potential clients!). Its frustrating as I want to stay home with my son and still be able to contribute money wise.

I hope everything picks up for you!!
MarinaVanessa 11:42 AM 12-09-2010
Yeah, I hope things pick for all of us. I'm not even going to bother giving out the parent packet unless they say that they really are going to sign up. I'm not holding my breath or a spot for anyone ... it'll be first come, first serve at this point lol. I wish I could be picky but after talking to my fiance and thinking about our finances I think it would be best to just take someone ... anyone lol.

**Update: As I was typing this I got a phone call from today's interview and figured that she was either canceling or recheduling our interview but it turned out that she wanted to know how early I opened. She had said her schedule would be 8am-1pm 2 maybe 3 times a week (very PT I know but it's two kids) and just said that after talking to her boss her start time would be at 7am. She seemed happy that I open at 6am and said she was looking forward to today's interview. Wish me luck. I'll make sure to mention that I'll continue to advertise and interview people until I get a signed contract. Maybe it'll motivate her to sign quickly lol (if she seems ok and not a total nut-job )
Michael 03:03 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
Im having the same issues too. Opened up in March, had one client from June-October and they moved then have a new client that started last month. Ive been trying to have 2 steady clients but no go. A lot of shoppers, some people leaving a "hey do you do overnight Black Friday care?" on my daycare facebook page and people leaving messages but never calling back (3 potential clients!). Its frustrating as I want to stay home with my son and still be able to contribute money wise.

I hope everything picks up for you!!
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Erin!
E Daycare 04:55 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Erin!
Thank you! OT, but Im so happy I found this site!!
Tags:filling spots, interviews, vent
Reply Up