Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Afterschool Routine for Afterschool DCKs?
Soccermom 11:54 AM 09-06-2012
Hi, I have added some new kids to my group this year. (I have an inhome before and afterschool daycare). I find with the new additions, there is A LOT of energy filling our small home every morning and afternoon and wonder if the kids will ever settle in. LOL! For those who care for the afterschool crew - Do you have a set routine or curriculum that you do every day or do you just kinda let the kids hang out?
cheerfuldom 12:21 PM 09-06-2012
I have done schoolagers but only temporarily...you are right, there is a lot of energy there and it doesnt work out for my group on a permanent basis. I wouldnt do any sort of curriculum but I would do a routine. Too much freedom and this age will really get into trouble. I would do a small snack, homework time, outside time if possible, then give them a choice of approved activities versus them coming up with their own entertainment

I would keep it relaxed but definitely letting the older kids know that your home is not a free for all. Let them know where they are allowed to go and what they are allowed to do.
Angelsj 05:57 PM 09-06-2012
Outside, outside, outside!!
We get a small snack, then head out the door. Usually, the younger ones are ready for a bit more outside time and it is starting to cool off.

I don't do homework, but if you have the time and you want to do it, that might be interesting as well.
Countrygal 03:58 AM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Outside, outside, outside!!
We get a small snack, then head out the door. Usually, the younger ones are ready for a bit more outside time and it is starting to cool off.

I don't do homework, but if you have the time and you want to do it, that might be interesting as well.
This or videos. Kids need unwind time just like adults. We use the videos if the littles are still napping but if not, we all head out - weather permitting.

Sometimes we have a quick craft or activity. Depends more on how much time I have to prepare. Look forward to some additional ideas!
daycarediva 04:23 AM 09-07-2012
They come in, put shoes and things away, sit at the table, we do "high point of day/low point of day" and then they eat snack. Then we all go outside, I sometimes do relay race type things with their sight words or math facts. (ie. walk along this beam, run up the slide down the ladder, jump up and down 3 times, read this sight word, make it to the playhouse before the other kids. Rinse and repeat. I can do this while the littles play on the tot lot easily and it gets that energy out. If I have a kid with a pick up that doesn't allow us to be outside right away or the weather is bad, they can work on homework quietly, get into the arts and crafts or get a book or board game until pick up.
AfterSchoolMom 04:48 AM 09-07-2012
ITA with everyone else - snack, outside, then homework and quiet activities. I always do a craft on Fridays because the kids don't generally get assigned weekend homework. We do "dance party" on rainy days, or movie time.
countrymom 05:48 AM 09-07-2012
thats an awful time for me because I have kids being picked up so it become crazy here. My own kids go and start their homework and everyone else goes and watches tv (most are here for half hour to 45 min.) I can't have chaos with kids running around. they all get a snack. I try to keep it mellow because the minute the parents arrive they become crazy.
familyschoolcare 12:17 PM 09-07-2012
We have snack,

Then I encourage the "older ones" to get out their homework.. I provide time, space and help with homework acutualy finishing is up to the student.

then we go outside, outside.
Soccermom 05:25 AM 09-08-2012
Thanks for all the replies It sounds like I'm on track...hopefully they will settle in. We've been doing snack, outside time until 4pm (they ask me every 5 minutes if they can go back inside) and then it is supposed to be quiet play until pick up but they always get completely out of hand....even outside, they seem to not be able to figure out how to just play outside! When I was a kid, I could play outside all day with a stick and a rock. We live off a dirt road in the woods so they have lots of room to explore..guess I am wondering if I should just devote my entire afternoon to entertaining them and organize games, crafts and activities every day (Right now they get out early on wednesdays so we do crafts then....).
My own kids are so annoyed by the utter chaos that they are angry with me for taking in more kids and taking it out on the daycare kids...Nightmare! LOL!
familyschoolcare 10:59 AM 09-08-2012
Soccermom What grades of children are you dealing with?
DaisyMamma 04:55 AM 09-09-2012
It really depends on the kids that you have as to how crazy they are. This year, so far, the group I have seems to be great! However, it has been good weather and we don't even go inside at all. The kids leave their bags on the walkway, have snack outside and then play.
I'm in the process of making a big kids room inside. I'm not entirely sure what to put in it, but we will see.

I find that you have to be much more strict with the older kids. I have only 2 morning kids. I do not like chaos in the AM. They are quiet kids and only here in AM twice a week. They sit and watch tv until it's time for the bus. They are also allowed to read books or do a quiet game.

In the afternoon on rainy and cold days I will do snack and then an active activity to get the craziness out, dance, musical chairs, simon says. Then they can do homework or a craft. After that they can have their choice of just a couple of things: such as XBox or board game.
Soccermom 03:34 PM 09-09-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Soccermom What grades of children are you dealing with?
Grades k-5 right now.
familyschoolcare 06:24 PM 09-09-2012
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Grades k-5 right now.
THe older cHildren grade 3 and up need lots of routine. I mean lots and not just now we go outside plan a game and get it started. They have tow choices they can play the game or sit far inougph form everyone else that they can not touch each ttother and they can not talk to each other. The older the child the more you must do everyting as a group. the younger the child the more likely they will go with the flow so if the older kids are playing the game they will if the older kids are siting down they will sit down if the older kids are doiing homework they whant homework to do. (I give them a paper to color) ect. ..

The other ting that might help is not calling it quiet time /play but homework club and getting atleat one child even if it is our own to sit down and do homework that way when they start to get load you can say shh so and so is doing homework. In my experiece this works much better then quiet play. Still let the children play. ( Yes, it is realy the same thing by a different name)

Also like others have said and I am sure you have figured out the school aged child needs more disclipine. than the preschooler.
jojosmommy 07:03 PM 09-09-2012
I too am struggling with the two I have afterschool and the two I have in Kindy who are with me longer. They enjoy the freedom of being old enough to make their own choices but really they can not handle the freedom anyway. Plus my younger ones want to do what they want to do too and then its just chaos.

I feel like they wont "like it" here if I put too many restrictions on them but they obv can't think of the rules themselves or they would be doing them already.

MY school agers are only here 45 min tops and yet I have more to clean up and fix etc when they leave than I do all day with the littles. It is not supposed to be this way.

I think I am going to do snack all together when they arrive, then 20 minutes of books (mom says they are bad about not doing their required nightly reading) and then structured games or something. I feel like this is as much as they can handle anyway. Maybe I will do boys up stairs (1 boy SA and my own 3 yr old) and girls down stairs (1 SA 2nd grader and 1 SA K girl). This way they are responsible for their own actions and can't blame the others.
Reply Up