Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging for diapers
HIplay 06:43 PM 06-05-2015
Dcfs provide their own diapers and wipes for their children. My problem family forgets to bring more diapers and wipes when I remind them when their supply is running low. I buy diapers and wipes in case a child runs out. I currently do not charge because the instances were rare when a child would run out of their supply. However, this dcf is forgetting more often and I am needing to use my supply instead. I do not want to completely provide diapers, instead I want to charge dcfs each time I use my supply when they run out. For those of you who charge when you need to use your supply, how do you word it in your handbook, how much do you charge, and do you have a form you send home with the charges? Thanks for your help!
Jujube835 07:41 PM 06-05-2015
I charge $0.25 per diaper. It's in my handbook. I've never had to charge anyone for diapers but if I did I would add it to next week's charges. I always email my families at the end kf the week, and the email includes their balance for next week. So it would look like this:

Your balance on Monday morning is $200.25. Please be sure to bring exact the amount as I'm unable to provide change.

They would know why that $0.25 is there because I would have told them about the charge as soon as it happened.
Leigh 08:24 PM 06-05-2015
I just got sick of keeping tabs on who needed diapers/wipes and of certain parents who couldn't get their crap together with it, so I started providing diapers myself. I raised my rates by $17.50 per week, and started providing everything.

I would charge at LEAST $1.00 per diaper. It should be high enough to be a bit of a deterrent.
jenboo 10:24 PM 06-05-2015
Refuse to let the child in your house unless they come with their supply of diapers and wipes.
Problem solved.
Leigh 06:01 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Refuse to let the child in your house unless they come with their supply of diapers and wipes.
Problem solved.

Crazy8 03:19 PM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Problem solved.
This is what I would do. Mom walks in without diapers ask if she left them in the car, if not her and child go back out the door until they have them. I do not keep extras here for the simple reason that that would be a parent's excuse to keep forgetting them.
finsup 06:03 PM 06-06-2015
So, 3 options
1. Do not allow the child to be dropped off without a package of diapers and wipes. Before they get to the running out point (I try to tell parents when they're down to one week as most send a big box) let them know that diapers/wipes must be provided on such and such a date or care will be denied.

2. Add a fee to their bill (tell them first that this will be happening of course) of something pretty high, a baby that I have to change often I'd say 1$/diaper. Toddler 3$/diaper. I'd charge for wipes too, like baby 25 centers/per wipe. Toddler, 1$/per wipe. Seriously it would annoy me that much lol.

3. Notify them that from such and such a date a weekly/monthly/whenever fee of (insert whatever price you want) will be due and diapers/wipes will be provided. It would be higher then the cost of the brand name diapers, around here a big box is about 40$, last about a month. I'd go with charing a fee of 50$ per month and get the store brand. If they wanted a "special" brand, it's going to cost more.

Personally, I just don't provide care if they don't have diapers/wipes. It keeps it simple for me.
HIplay 09:14 PM 06-06-2015
Thank you all for your replies.
Patches 02:36 AM 06-07-2015
I don't charge if I have to use my supply, but I do pay it back when they bring supplies. Maybe you just need to turn then away at the door, if they don't bring supplies.
Reply Up