Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Best Advertising Ideas
Momof2Boys 07:01 PM 08-09-2010
My boys' day care lady (a stay-at-home mom with 3 boys of her own) informed me that she can longer watch my boys due to some changes with her family. I am sad about this because my oldest LOVES her boys, but I've been planning on starting me own daycare for a while now, so this is just pushing me to do it faster. I've been working part-time and they were only going one day a week. She can watch them for two more weeks, and then I need to find an alternative. I'm really hoping that I can just quit my job and be watching at least one kid by then!

So I need your best advertising ideas! I've already tried word of mouth (even messaged everyone I know on Facebook) and haven't had any luck... Thanks for any help you can offer!
professionalmom 08:30 PM 08-09-2010
I used Craigslist and got some good replies that way. But be prepared for spammers. I have put up fliers around the local community college campus. But the best source I had was being licensed through the State and getting referrals that way. So, if I were you, I would move as quickly as possible to get licensed. It can take awhile. I had to have my furnace and hot water heater inspected, TB test, CPR cert., First Aid cert., Bloodborne Pathogen class, fingerprinting and background check, medical release from my family doctor stating that I was in good physical and mental health to care for children, etc. So it does take some time to get all those ducks in a row. Once you submit all the proofs you need to submit with your application, it still could take a little while. However, also check with your state licensing laws. You may be able to care for 1 or 2 without having to be licensed first. Then you can get going while going through licensing. But licensing has been, by far, my best advertisement. You could also try putting an ad in the local paper.

Also, evaluate yourself and what you plan to offer. Do you have a niche? Put that in any ad you place. For instance, will you offer extended hours? Evening hours? Accept subsidy? Have a large fenced in backyard? Have a degree? Offer a curriculum? Do field trips? Anything that could set you apart from others in the area needs to be in your ads. Maybe even offer a sign-on special. But be careful of those. Don't do the 50% off the first month, because people will flock to you, then drop you as soon as the introductory rate is over. Instead do a "sign by Sept. 1st and receive 25% off for 2 weeks." Then in smaller print put "offer valid after the first 2 months".

Those are just some of the things I have tried. I wish you the best of luck. It's a great profession, but it can be very stressful, especially if you have parents that treat you like they own you. Remember that they are CLIENTS, not your bosses. Don't let them dictate your policies. Start out kind and friendly, yet professional and business-oriented. Later you can relax a bit and give them a break from time to time. And my last, but most important piece of advice, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You are of no use to any of the kids (yours or the DC kids) if you drop from exhaustion. Make sure you eat right, get enough sleep, drink plenty of fluids (especially water), exercise, and schedule some down time for yourself.
Michael 08:33 PM 08-09-2010
Don't forget Daycare.com. Here is someone that email me today regarding her listing with us:

"& yes i still have that client i got from you, & another from your site since then.
is 9 months the longest i can buy at a time? do you have a yearly option?"

Jennifer

Anyone could email her for further information. Here is her listing: https://www.daycare.com/php/showlist...D=00015722&p=1
professionalmom 08:35 PM 08-09-2010
Oops. Sorry, Michael.
Michael 08:37 PM 08-09-2010
hehe, really it's no problem.
QualiTcare 08:47 PM 08-09-2010
i didn't do this with daycare, but my husband used this site to order yard signs for his business - and they looked GREAT!

he got 100 signs + the wire stands for $100 flat and free shipping which is pretty much unheard of for the coroplast signs which are weatherproof. i was nervous because they were so cheap - but i was shocked at how good they looked.

i have seen daycares use the yard signs posted at stop signs n stuff....and they've caught my attention. here's the site:

http://www.signelect.com/customsignb...cial4formT.htm
Michael 08:49 PM 08-09-2010
You have a picture to post of it? The site is pretty basic and a picture of your sign would put it into perspective.
daysofelijah 06:25 AM 08-10-2010
The majority of my kids have come from the local childcare resource & referral giving out my info so make sure you are on their list. Otherwise word of mouth seems to be the main source of kids for me.
Abigail 04:42 PM 08-10-2010
I just attended a child care orientation today and learned a lot! Here it takes about 2 months to get licensed. What takes so long is if you have lived in another state in the last ten years. I think they said if you lived in Montana, South Dakota, or Wyoming--can't remember, but those states for us seem to take two months to get back on your criminal and background checks. Having inspectors come out to your home and getting fingerprinted doesn't take long at all.
QualiTcare 06:32 PM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
You have a picture to post of it? The site is pretty basic and a picture of your sign would put it into perspective.
nah - i don't really do much with digital pics online n stuff.

thanks for the suggestion though!
Put A Cherry On Top 08:14 AM 08-12-2010
Do your sons have old clothes and toys you need to get rid of? Have a yard sale in your neighborhood....post some signs around your area. Put your flyers out on a table announcing your new daycare, get some balloons and have business cards on hand.

If you give shoppers bags to carry the things they purchase, you can even include business cards and flyers inside of the bags.

This will give you an opportunity to connect with potential clients in person and get rid of old stuff to make room for your new in-home daycare.

Good luck!

Miranda
mirabdesigns@gmail.com
Tags:advertising, daycare.com
Reply Up