Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separation Anxiety ???
Magic 10:00 AM 10-28-2013
I have a 2 almost 3 year old boy in my care ..he used to be here last year then
moved to a day care close to parents school ( both students ) about 2 weeks ago at the other day care he started to cry for mom and dad ....ALL DAY LONG
she gave up
being friends of family he has come back to me they live just down the road
I am now seeing why the other day care gave up
nothing works to sooth this child
this morn he has not stopped crying screaming some times stomping for mom and dad
for TWO HOURS
I had him a few times last week and then mom came and stayed and did crafts with us ex.....
he did cry last week for an hour and then stop and then start and then stop ex
when mom here fine and interacts with children ex
but no mom .....!!!
I did mention to bring a special toy ( forgot this am ) and I have a call in to my suport but waiting to hear back
we have drove kids to school, had a snack, he sitting a table with play dough just cring
I am desparte for sugestions and how long do I give it as in hours, or days before mom has to drop out of school to be home with boy
he has no other issues at to to concider
just separtion anxity
HELP ..poor guy is stressed and so are wee kids and myself
WImom 10:56 AM 10-28-2013
First of all .... It's so hard on everyone one when you have a crier. I've only had two kids like this and I had to terminate after the two weeks. They were 3y old though so a little older.

Could dad drop off instead for a little while if he is better for dad?
I think having something from home is a good idea. Mom needs to make sure she doesn't forget. Kids like a ritual so doing that may help if mom doesn't forget.

I've had kids bring a picture. We read books about separation and did crafts, brought family photo's to share.

Also, is mom doing a long good bye? Short ones are better. (I'm sure you know that already though) He might be hoping mom will stay again by crying or wondering why she isn't staying.

Also having a schedule all morning at home and coming to you at the same time and him being picked up at the same time. That has really helped a 3y old here. He wasn't as severe as yours though.
cheerfuldom 01:12 PM 10-28-2013
what was he like when he first came to you like a year ago? any major issues in the family since then? there has got to be something going on this kid.....I wonder if the parents are arguing or perhaps even separated and have not told you? maybe he has recently lost a close loved one thru death or been through something else traumatic?

this seems pretty severe to be a normal bout of separation anxiety. it's been what, a month with no progress?

if you cant come up with some solutions, perhaps it would be best that he is home with mom for now. She could take a semester off or do online classes and see if they can get him back into daycare down the road.
Magic 04:08 PM 10-28-2013
I got through to my suport here in town
she said it was common and sugested all the things we all have ..
( he had peed on his fav blanket this am so it stayed home )
he is coming with all sorts of things from home tomorrow
nothing new is going on at home that I know of mom and I are friends
he was at an other day care this fall for two months and then this started
he was here a short couple times last week and now longer days this week
he would be coming here 4 days a week which is good and comes at same time each day
when mom or dad here he is a fun playing no issue child ...just misses mommy and daddy so much
hard to see him so stressed
I have had others do the such when they start here ....he had all ready been settled in at the other day care and then started the crying
Tags:separation anxiety
Reply Up