Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>montessori inspired work room
mamamanda 04:56 AM 09-25-2015
So, I got so inspired by Heidi's idea for a separate work room that the kids can earn the right to use I've been thinking about it all night. That's definitely going to be my weekend project! Two things I'm wondering about though:
1) Since my kids are not good about being responsible with toys or cleaning things up and I want them to choose one activity at a time and clean it up before getting another in this room, what do you think is a good amount of activities to have available starting out. I don't want there to be too many options that will leave them set up to fail, but I want the room to be exciting and something they want to use, kwim? I'm just wondering...10 separate activities...too many/too few? I'd like to add to it as they learn to play independently and clean up their own messes. There are 4 who are old enough to use the room regularly. I can see this room from the other playroom so they could potentially use it at will once they've proven themselves responsible.
2)Should there be a spot for the babies in the work room. My little ones are newborn, 13 mo, and 19mo. I thought about creating a Montessori inspired baby space in that room with a mattress surrounded by mirrors, muffin tins with plastic eggs to sort, shape sorters, stackable rings, etc. Heidi, I know you have a work space for your babies. Would it be too hard to keep the babies in their area with their work while the older kids are on mats with their activities that have smaller pieces?
My thoughts were that maybe we could have 20-30 minutes of group work time each day where I help the babies and model the behavior I want to see with the older ones. Then the preschooler/kindergarten group can earn the privilege of using the room at will by showing me they can attend to a single task and clean it up when they're done, not fight with others in the room, etc. Does that sound doable, or like a disaster waiting to happen? Ideas on "work" for the babies?
Up