Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Decorating Yet?
Francine 09:15 AM 11-18-2010
So has anybody started decorating for Christmas yet? I will admitt that I have been thinking about getting a few things out but I haven't yet. We will put the three up the weekend after Thanksgiving so I will probably do everything then. When do you start?
laundrymom 09:20 AM 11-18-2010
No,.. but I really want to,..lol. when I took the camper totes ( I remove everything from my camper when I take it to winterstorage) down to the basement, I walked past the Christmas totes.... I reallllly want to bring them up,.. next weekend, Thanksgiving, BLACK FRIDAY!! then decorating outside,...We wait to put up the inside tree until the weekend before Christmas,.. but outside,.. its a wonderland.

Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
So has anybody started decorating for Christmas yet? I will admitt that I have been thinking about getting a few things out but I haven't yet. We will put the three up the weekend after Thanksgiving so I will probably do everything then. When do you start?

countrymom 10:03 AM 11-18-2010
nope, maybe the beginning of dec.
SunflowerMama 10:19 AM 11-18-2010
I'm counting down the days! As soon as we finish eating on Thanksgiving I'm sure I'll start breaking out the boxes .
SandeeAR 10:58 AM 11-18-2010
I always decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I let everyone else fight the crowds to save a few bucks LOL.

However, I am putting up the tree this weekend. Just the tree no ornaments yet. I want the dcks to get use to it being up before I add the "untouchables".
TGT09 10:59 AM 11-18-2010
Haha I have wanted to soooo bad and even wanted to start doing Christmas crafts. I refuse to let myself until at least after Thanksgiving to start any of that. Normally it's the first weekend in December so DH can help me.
DCMomOf3 11:24 AM 11-18-2010
NO!! I think every holiday deserves their time and Thanksgiving gets the short end of the stick. I take Halloween Down on Nov. 1st and won't put Christmas up until the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 11-18-2010
I am probably a weird one, but we put our tree up like 2 days before Christmas Eve and then while everyone is opening their presents, I am seriously taking the tree down and puting it away! It is NOT because I don't have Christmas spirit, it is just that I can't find the time to deal with all the decorations and stuff!! I have a tough time finding a spot for all the junk we keep in our house already that adding decorations just adds to the mess!!! LOL! I also don't decorate the daycare house with any holiday decorations either...except the arts and crafts the dck's make but other than that nothing. It is hard enough adding more stuff that they can't touch! I am sure I will get called a grinch but I do get festive!!! We bake goodies, wear holiday clothes, go shopping etc etc etc,....I just don't decorate much. On a side note, I also live out of town and a mile off of any road where no one can see my house so no one would see the decorations anyways.
I wish I was more into decorating....but it is what it is....
Lilbutterflie 01:58 PM 11-18-2010
We have a new tradition of putting Christmas decorations up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Christmas lights on the outside go up at this time as well. Christmas tree is purchased two weeks before Christmas so as to remain fresh and yummy-smelling for Christmas!
DaycareMama 02:09 PM 11-18-2010
we did put our outside lights up this past weekend. It was very warm out and figured it beat doing it in the cold. I must of looked silly to the neighbors wearing a tank top and hanging christmas lights. I would love to turn them on but we usually wait till thanksgiving weekend also. It must be in the air cause I dont usually want to do it early. This year i could of put the tree up in october and been happy. I love looking at the twinkling lights
QualiTcare 02:18 PM 11-18-2010
i haven't started decorating - probably will right after thanksgiving, but i've been shopping online like no other!

i also made part of my son's preschool teacher's xmas gift the other night. this isn't the one, but it's like this:

shadowbox.jpg

i've never made one before and it was super easy and cute! it took about an hour and i got the frame for 10 bucks at hobby lobby with their 1/2 off sale that ends saturday.
Attached:
Lianne 05:47 PM 11-18-2010
I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving was last week.

I hung my outdoor lights this week because the weather was warm. I hate doing it in December and freezing my fingers off. However, other than testing the lights and pleasing the daycare kids, the lights will not be turned on for another week or two.

Tomorrow we will be writing letters to Santa because all my daycare families and I are going to a local Santa Claus parade on Saturday and they accept Santa letters at the parade. We realized we were all going separately so we decided to make a day of it and go together. We are all SO excited!
TGT09 05:40 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i haven't started decorating - probably will right after thanksgiving, but i've been shopping online like no other!

i also made part of my son's preschool teacher's xmas gift the other night. this isn't the one, but it's like this:

Attachment 125

i've never made one before and it was super easy and cute! it took about an hour and i got the frame for 10 bucks at hobby lobby with their 1/2 off sale that ends saturday.
Oh my goodness, that is THE cutest thing I have ever seen! Where did you find that idea?

I was shopping last night and bought all my daycare families "snowman kits"...black felt hat, plastic pipe, button eyes, plastic carrot nose, buttons for shirt and a red felt scarf. Cute, huh? They were only $3.99! They came in a cute painted wood box that says "Let it snow" on it.
MommyMuffin 06:00 AM 11-19-2010
I have a pretty green and silver wreath on my door and husband put up white lights last weekend. We are the first on the street with lights. We dont have anything else up. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the white lights and subtle decoration without screaming christmas is a great way to start transition into the holiday season. We love it!
SilverSabre25 06:05 AM 11-19-2010
I have a few outdoor lights up since it was so nice out this past weekend, but I have more to do. The rest of the decorating will happen next weekend. I can't wait; I'm antsy to get out the decorations this year because last year we just moved into our house Dec 12, so there was minimal decorating. My ILs gave us a whole bunch of neat new decorations last year and we bought some new stuff on clearance, so I'm excited to decorate the house.

First step...I have to clean it...there's a bunch of clutter.

I also need to put away the spring decorations and Halloween decorations...
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 11-19-2010
QualiT...do you have the blog link? I think that looks awesome to make for my in-laws! They are the HARDEST people to buy gifts for.
DCMom 07:35 AM 11-19-2010
That is ADORABLE! I have been racking my brain for something 'new' to do for my daycare families (from the kids) for Christmas and that just might fit the bill. Thanks for the idea
DBug 08:23 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving was last week.
You must be in a different part of Ontario, because my Thanksgiving was over a month ago .

Around here, November 1st is the unofficial first day of outdoor Christmas lights. Of course, I haven't been able to get ours up yet, but it will happen soon! As for indoor decorating, I've been holding myself back for the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to hold out til December 1st, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. I LOVE Christmas!! It's the most wonderful time of the year

The tree won't go up til my Christmas break starts, on Dec. 23rd. I just don't have enough room to put it up AND keep the dc kids from destroying it ...
QualiTcare 10:09 AM 11-19-2010
http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url...x-teacher.html

here's the site i got the idea from. if you type in "crayon + shadow box" in google, you'll probably see more. i used a razor knife to cut the crayons and i rolled the crayon as i cut instead of hacking through it. i'm not a very artsy person and it was really very simple! i printed a 40% off coupon online from hobby lobby and used that on a big box of crayolas and then got the frame 50% off, but that sale ends tmw! i'm going back tonight to get more since it turned out well. the hardest part of all was finding the letter pattern to use for a guide. when i found one large enough i still had to mess with it.

share your pics if you decide to do it!
MARSTELAC 07:01 AM 12-03-2010
I have such a small house for my family of 5, then add in 11-12 daycare kids plus decorations? We don't put up much. Fall saw a few scarecrow statues/pumpkins around on the few surfaces I have up high. For the past 2 years, I have had a mini (like 12") tree on top of my TV. I was worried about kids touching hooks that hold ornaments. I also get relicensed by the end of December and didn't want a tree in here to cause any trouble with licensing inspection. I have no other room to put a tree than my living room. Do you all know if I can have a tree up and not worry about licensing? My daycare kids are pretty good about not touching things so I am not worried but I don't want to get in trouble. My own family is sad that I won't put up a big tree.....what do you all do?
MyAngels 07:15 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I have such a small house for my family of 5, then add in 11-12 daycare kids plus decorations? We don't put up much. Fall saw a few scarecrow statues/pumpkins around on the few surfaces I have up high. For the past 2 years, I have had a mini (like 12") tree on top of my TV. I was worried about kids touching hooks that hold ornaments. I also get relicensed by the end of December and didn't want a tree in here to cause any trouble with licensing inspection. I have no other room to put a tree than my living room. Do you all know if I can have a tree up and not worry about licensing? My daycare kids are pretty good about not touching things so I am not worried but I don't want to get in trouble. My own family is sad that I won't put up a big tree.....what do you all do?
I don't know how licensing would feel about a tree, but I bought one of those big six panel gates and surround my tree every year. Like you, I have a relatively small house, so our tree is very accessible to the daycare kids. I just put the tree in a corner and surround it with the gate, far enough out that they can't reach in to grab things. It's easy to take down when the kids are gone, too.
Tags:decor, decorating
Reply Up