Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Other Providers T/S%
TSDaycare 06:09 PM 02-23-2011
Just curious as to what the figure is for other providers for their time/space, this is my first full year, so I'm curious to see how many others are right around the same percent as I am.....
legomom922 03:47 AM 02-24-2011
I am at 17%, but to me, this seems low..Everyroom of my house is used in one way or another, and even though I only am doing this PT this yr, I was doing it FT last yr, so it seems to me this number should be higher, but I too am interested in seeing what others have to say.

ETA: Are u using MMK? What is it telling you currently?
Cat Herder 04:00 AM 02-24-2011
I am at 35%
Little People 04:13 AM 02-24-2011
I am at 29.8%
legomom922 05:11 AM 02-24-2011
What am I doing wrong? LOL
TSDaycare 05:11 AM 02-24-2011
Im figuring 30% for the entire year using 100% space. It just seemed low for using my home everyday, for 10.5 hrs a day, 5 days a week. But it seems right on target with the others providers that have posted.

And No I don't use MMK, I use the Calendar Keeper and it seems like it is just as simple-just using pen & paper rather than spending $62 per yr for MMK....
TSDaycare 05:14 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I am at 17%, but to me, this seems low..Everyroom of my house is used in one way or another, and even though I only am doing this PT this yr, I was doing it FT last yr, so it seems to me this number should be higher, but I too am interested in seeing what others have to say.

ETA: Are u using MMK? What is it telling you currently?
If you are part time, this sounds correct-considering us who do full time are right around 30-40%. Hopefully you aren't making full time income with the part time kids cause that's not going to be in your favor with taxes
Lilbutterflie 05:19 AM 02-24-2011
My time/space in 2010 came out to 19.7%, but there is about 700 sq ft of my house I don't use for daycare; and there were two months last year that I did not have any children.

17% sounds low for doing it full time all year and using your entire house!

I'm using MMK for the first time this year and right now it tells me it's 13.72%; but for some reason it's not using the hours I've entered for Feb yet.
dEHmom 05:25 AM 02-24-2011
What am I doing wrong? LOL
I opened up in May, low hours for July to December, and my t/s is 18%

Sounds right.
Cat Herder 05:28 AM 02-24-2011
Lego, I use MMK Pro.

Mine is calculated by

1. Actual hours in care from attendance records (averages 9.75 hours a day)

2. Prior to opening meal prep time M-F (.5 hours),

3. End of day cleaning time M-T (.5 hours)

4. End of week cleaning time/laundry/floors/toy rotation/disinfection, Fri. only (1.5 hours)

5. 100% usage area of 900 sq ft.

6. Partial usage rooms that I am required to maintain to State standards at all times.(foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, storage shed, etc)

I have been tempted to also charge for my bedrooms since I am required to let the State in them at all times even though they are not used for childcare.

7. Actual training hours for all the online classes I take and conferences/super Saturdays I attend. I don't charge for all of them because I just like to go and take WAY more than I am required to.

(I am supposed to be able to add travel time for supplies, but I don't since I chose to live so far out and am nervous to ask for more than I feel I deserve....Karma, I guess, IDK....)
legomom922 06:30 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
If you are part time, this sounds correct-considering us who do full time are right around 30-40%. Hopefully you aren't making full time income with the part time kids cause that's not going to be in your favor with taxes
In my reply, I said I am doing PT THIS YEAR but was FT LAST YR. Thats why it makes no sense.

And yes, I do get FT pay for my PT kids. Everyone pays the same daily rate weather they are here for 3hrs, or 10.

I won't have to worry about paying any tax at all according to Tom, so I'm happy
legomom922 06:35 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Lego, I use MMK Pro.

Mine is calculated by

1. Actual hours in care from attendance records (averages 9.75 hours a day)

2. Prior to opening meal prep time M-F (.5 hours),

3. End of day cleaning time M-T (.5 hours)

4. End of week cleaning time/laundry/floors/toy rotation/disinfection, Fri. only (1.5 hours)

5. 100% usage area of 900 sq ft.

6. Partial usage rooms that I am required to maintain to State standards at all times.(foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, storage shed, etc)

I have been tempted to also charge for my bedrooms since I am required to let the State in them at all times even though they are not used for childcare.

7. Actual training hours for all the online classes I take and conferences/super Saturdays I attend. I don't charge for all of them because I just like to go and take WAY more than I am required to.

(I am supposed to be able to add travel time for supplies, but I don't since I chose to live so far out and am nervous to ask for more than I feel I deserve....Karma, I guess, IDK....)
I think i did my sq ft & % wrong..My total sq footage is 2400, but somehow I have only 1900 down, and I should be closer to at least 95% of my home (because of the exception of 1 bathroom)

Cleaning & working in the home on off hrs, I have 13 hrs a wk!

I will have to redo it and see what I come up with.
SilverSabre25 07:55 AM 02-24-2011
I think my T/s for last year is right around 30% or so.
Jewels 08:37 AM 02-24-2011
I had 40% for last year, and this year so far in MMK I am at 43%. I think alot of people just don't record everything, you can even record the time you spend unloading groceries, (learned this in toms seminar), Folding blankets or bedding for daycare, I clean pretty obsessively everyday, I always wash all the toys played with everyday, and I vacuum and clean all of my floors everyday. My first child starts at 6am, and last one leaves at 5:45....
MissAnn 08:47 AM 02-24-2011
I never thought of the time spent unloading groceries.....and I really hate unloading groceries. Guess I'll have to do it at a snail's pace.....lol
kendallina 09:50 AM 02-24-2011
I am at 18% for TS%. I only have children here 3-4 hrs a day, but do a lot of prep work and such for the preschool.
Jewels 09:50 AM 02-24-2011
Yeah Its only like hlaf hour, but it adds up over the year, every minute counts.
ninosqueridos 10:43 AM 02-24-2011
I add up all of my hours I spend on daycare activities, calc sq ft of the rooms I use, etc and input everything into TurboTax Home & Business. I was open all year, full-time, and my T/S it calculated was 29.33%.
legomom922 05:31 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I had 40% for last year, and this year so far in MMK I am at 43%. I think alot of people just don't record everything, you can even record the time you spend unloading groceries, (learned this in toms seminar), Folding blankets or bedding for daycare, I clean pretty obsessively everyday, I always wash all the toys played with everyday, and I vacuum and clean all of my floors everyday. My first child starts at 6am, and last one leaves at 5:45....
I am somewhat OCD, so I clean my floors & vaccum everyday after kids are gone too! I cannot stand a dirty floor, and we have 4 cats, so I vaccum every am so the kids dont get alot of cat hair on them & I have to vaccum after they go to pick up all the cheerios and crumbs, LOL

So how much time are cleaning b4 & after you close?? I'm curious, because I am at about 13 hrs a wk, and I dont know if that is too much. The IRS could be like hey we are not going to allow this because you have OCD, KWIM??
legomom922 05:34 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
Yeah Its only like hlaf hour, but it adds up over the year, every minute counts.
Are you claiming bring in ALL your groceries, or just DC groceries? If you shop for both, personnal & DC, how do you detrimine how much time is for DC? Or are you just estimating? I'm just wondering because I do all my shopping together and dont know what to claim, plus the time of putting the groceries away too. Then there are some items that I use for both, like crackers and stuff that anyone can eat, my kids and DC kids.
TomCopeland 09:02 AM 02-28-2011
Are you claiming bring in ALL your groceries, or just DC groceries? If you shop for both, personnal & DC, how do you detrimine how much time is for DC? Or are you just estimating? I'm just wondering because I do all my shopping together and dont know what to claim, plus the time of putting the groceries away too. Then there are some items that I use for both, like crackers and stuff that anyone can eat, my kids and DC kids.
You can't count any time spent away from your home shopping for food (or anything else). You can count time preparing menus, shopping lists, and unloading the food. If you are unloading and putting away both business and personal food, count some of the time, not all of it. Estimate it.
Tags:time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up