Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Experienced Advice!
3kidzmama 08:04 AM 03-10-2011
As I have posted before, I am planning to open my daycare in June. I have found out that due to zoning laws where I live, I cannot use my own home as many of you do. I have the opportunity to lease a building that is perfect for my needs, very close to my home and it's a great price.
The only drawback is that it is located in a very small town (pop 2000). There is a larger town only 3 miles away that has a lot of industry and therefore lots of jobs, which means more need for childcare.
My question to you is: do you think people would drive a short distance to drop their children off? Especially since every single daycare in the larger town is full with a long waiting list (home care and centers both). Do any of you have parents that drive out of the way a short distance to bring their children to you?
Cat Herder 08:10 AM 03-10-2011
I have NEVER heard of a Home Daycare being against any zoning laws...

They don't qualify as "Commercial".

I know my HOA tried to pull that on me a while back...but they can't touch me....

Oh, and all my parents drive about 30 minutes out of their way to get to my house. I think that will not be a problem with parents who really want YOU.
3kidzmama 08:26 AM 03-10-2011
In the state where I live, you cannot have a licensed home business of any kind if your business creates a problem for the neighbors, which mine would. I live on a very narrow dead end street that ends two houses down from me. The traffic of people coming in and out in the mornings and evenings is considered a nuisance and the zoning committee turned down my request and my appeal due to this. I can see their point, as it is difficult to turn around a vehicle especially when there are others there and they would have to park in the street. So, no home daycare for my particular home.
I was thinking that if it were my own childen I would definitely drive out of the way to make sure they were happy and safe... But not all parents think like us, you know?
melskids 08:47 AM 03-10-2011
i live 8 miles from our very small town of 2000, up a mountain on a dirt road. the snow is melting right now, and everything is mud. you seriously need 4 wheel drive to get up here, and i am full. the parents then have to turn around and drive 40 minutes or more to get to work in the next town/s over. some complain a bit this time of year, but they know i'm worth the trip

if you build it, they will come

good luck!!!!
DBug 08:48 AM 03-10-2011
You may be able to weed out the not-so-golden parents by being slightly out of the way . Parents who are just looking for convenience wouldn't want to drive out of their way, whereas parents who are basing their decision on the quality of care, etc, would be more than willing to drive 3 miles out of their way!
momatheart 09:05 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by dbug:
you may be able to weed out the not-so-golden parents by being slightly out of the way . Parents who are just looking for convenience wouldn't want to drive out of their way, whereas parents who are basing their decision on the quality of care, etc, would be more than willing to drive 3 miles out of their way!
you have a point
missnikki 09:10 AM 03-10-2011
Agree with all of the above, PLUS the benefit of keeping your family home just that.
youretooloud 09:16 AM 03-10-2011
I have parents who drive 30 miles to bring their son, then drive nine miles back the other direction for work.

The rest come very far as well, just not 30 miles.

I think if you were offering a good service with a place where their children felt comfortable, welcomed and happy, a parent would do anything for that.
Lilbutterflie 10:15 AM 03-10-2011
My dcm drives 6 miles out of her way each day. But, we are kind of rural, and it's about 12 miles to the nearest grocery store; so 6 miles is no big deal to us! LOL

But I do think parents would do it if they felt it was beneficial to their children. And, you'll be sure to get parents that really care about their children.
AfterSchoolMom 10:19 AM 03-10-2011
I've got one family that drives 15 miles in the opposite direction from work to come here, then drives right back by their home to get to work. If they want good quality care, they'll drive to it.
Michael 02:18 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have NEVER heard of a Home Daycare being against any zoning laws...

They don't qualify as "Commercial".

I know my HOA tried to pull that on me a while back...but they can't touch me....

Oh, and all my parents drive about 30 minutes out of their way to get to my house. I think that will not be a problem with parents who really want YOU.
This is correct.
Tags:commercial space, new daycare, zoning
Reply Up