Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG is Highly Sensitive, DCPs are NOT
SilverSabre25 06:22 AM 05-14-2012
I've been worried about dcg 3 for a long time and have posted kind of a lot trying to get advice on dealing with her and her parents.

Well, lately I've designed a few opportunities to discuss (very subtely) her highly sensitive temperment with dcm. DCM has expressed that she has no idea how to handle it and that it drives her crazy.

To clarify, DCG is VERy sensitive, gets upset easily, has very little self-confidence, is terrified of being wrong, and has the capacity to blossom into a very creative and caring individual if this sensitivity isn't squelched and screamed out of her. DCP's handle her crying by yelling at her that she needs to stop, that there's no reason to cry (even when there *is* a legitmate reason to cry!), and even give her time outs for crying if she doesn't stop instantly when they say stop. TOTALLY not appropriate.

I'm wondering if it would be appropriate of me to jump off that conversation and find some information online about dealing with and parenting a highly sensitive child, then give it to DCM with a "I know you said that she drives you crazy with this stuff and that you don't know how to handle it, so here's some information that might help you and her."
Zoe 06:25 AM 05-14-2012
I think if you approach it like that, sort of a "take it just for an option", then it might go over better than telling them that how they're handling it is wrong. I know I get very defensive if anyone tells me that what I'm doing is wrong, so going at it as another option could very well help these parents.
Breezy 06:27 AM 05-14-2012
I think sometimes parents do need a little help. Especially first time parents. I will admit, this toddler stage of tantrums caught me off guard and it really helped doing my own research/hearing others tell me about their toddlers.

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting information for them- I just hope it is well received. You could even say, "I was watching something on the news about sensitive children and the one they were describing reminded me to much of your DD!! Here's what they were saying...."

My niece is very sensitive at 19 months old. But, my brother and sister in law have made her that way. They don't let her explore, they swoop in before she has a chance to do anything. My mom and dad aren't even allowed to hold her when they are in town!
SilverSabre25 06:29 AM 05-14-2012
DCM follow me on Pinterest and so I was actually just thinking of pinning an article and tagging her and saying, "DCM, I thought of DCG when I read this. Maybe it would help?"
SunshineMama 06:38 AM 05-14-2012
I would look for some online resources and maybe print out a few and say something to the effect of, "I came across some information I thought might be helpful for dcg and I thought of you so I printed some out." I also think Pinterest is a good idea too. I have DCM's following me on pinterest as well (kinda wish I could privatize some of my boards since they do).
cheerfuldom 09:39 AM 05-14-2012
There are a couple of great books out there about parenting to the childs personality. Two that come to mind are Baby Whisperer and Toddler Whisperer. Perhaps some print out articles (or links in an email) and some book recommendations could help. I wouldnt tag on Pinterest because she may be upset that all your other followers can see what you pinned to her.....perhaps a privacy issue.
MizzCheryl 04:36 PM 05-14-2012
ahhhh she is so lucky to have you in her life...
Help them by all means, do it for her.
Meyou 02:43 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
DCM follow me on Pinterest and so I was actually just thinking of pinning an article and tagging her and saying, "DCM, I thought of DCG when I read this. Maybe it would help?"
I think this is a great idea. I do that anyway with a couple of DCF's that I have. I pinned a little craft for one of my DCM's yesterday that I know DCG would love. I print stuff out too.

It's my aunt's fault. She's huge for seeing something that makes her think of something and sending it along. You have no idea how many random magazine pages I've gotten in the mail from her because she thought I'd like them for whatever reason.
Reply Up