Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting A Home Daycare That's Not In Your Home...
CAPA 05:04 PM 08-23-2012
I was wonderig if there is a legal difference between starting a daycare in your home and starting a daycare in a home you purchase specifically for the daycare? Does the business paperwork look the same? Are there any differences in law? Can you have more kids?

My intention is to buy a house and use it as a daycare only, and not live in it.
CAPA 05:07 PM 08-23-2012
Also, are there any advantages or disadvantages?
snbauser 05:41 PM 08-23-2012
It depends on your state. Some states you can run it out of another home while in other states you must physically live in the home you are providing care from.
CAPA 05:49 PM 08-23-2012
I'm in Pennsylvania BTW. I'm going to have to look this one up.
Thetotspot 03:52 AM 08-24-2012
I opened a daycare outside of my home. I have more space and could take more children if I have help, but otherwise it doesn't make a difference. The cost to hire an assistant for only two extra children definitely doesn't monetarily make sense, so I have chosen not to do so at this time. Being outside of your home has benefits and also nuisances. I do not have a washer/dryer or even the hookup for these things at the building I am renting. So if I need to do laundry I have to wait until I get home. Same with dishes, can't just do dishes (your home ones) while the kiddos are napping. I can't punish my kids by sending them to their own room...or just allow them to go to their own room to get a breather and play by themselves. Basically, anything that needs done at home needs to wait because I work outside of my home. I also don't have a shower so if I got vomited on, I'd be SOL with a sponge bath waiting for kids to be picked up. But it sounds like your plan is to rent a house, I did not rent a house, I rented a building that used to be a head start and before that was a bank. The benefits are that if you are closed, people aren't dropping off...I'm not at the building except for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after I am open...so people can't randomly drop their kids off and expect that you will watch them just because you are there. I also get to maintain my personal space, nobody knows exactly where I live, and nobody is ever at my home. So home is home, it is not where I do my job...so I can come home and unwind. But there are two sets of bills...but I'm not going to have to use percentages when it comes to taxes. I rent this building specifically for daycare, that's all it is used for. Same with the bills attached to it. So the operating expenses are definitely higher.
DaisyMamma 06:11 AM 08-24-2012
It's got its pros and cons for sure.
It's likely you could make more money.
But in your home you can do chores during nap, laundry, dishes, cleaning, prep dinner, etc. This is a huge pro.
But on the other hand its hard to have people coming in your home day in and day out. Everything always needs to be neat and tidy. This can be hard if you have kids of your own.
If your hours are different from your spouse it can be difficult. My DH comes home at 5 and I now close at 630. We have one bathroom. He needs to shower and relax. His job is physically demanding and a loud environment. He finds screaming kids stressful. We have a one story ranch house and although our playroom is separate from our family room, they are next to eachother in an open floor plan with only a partial wall. I can't be ouside for that long in the winter time.
Sugar Magnolia 07:19 AM 08-24-2012
I don't know about PA, but in my state, that makes you a center, and a HUGE difference in rules and regs. I did it successfully, so can you. Check ZONING in your county or city fist, before you do anything else.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by CAPA:
I was wonderig if there is a legal difference between starting a daycare in your home and starting a daycare in a home you purchase specifically for the daycare? Does the business paperwork look the same? Are there any differences in law? Can you have more kids?

My intention is to buy a house and use it as a daycare only, and not live in it.
I own a separate home where I have my child care.

I am licensed as family child care just like anyone who lives in their own home would be so no difference here in my state.

Originally Posted by CAPA:
Also, are there any advantages or disadvantages?
LOTS of advantages and LOTS of disadvantages
Unregistered 12:12 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I don't know about PA, but in my state, that makes you a center, and a HUGE difference in rules and regs. I did it successfully, so can you. Check ZONING in your county or city fist, before you do anything else.
Yeah, I'm in CA and in a home daycare (where you live in it) you only have to follow title 22 regualtions, in a center (including a house turned in to a center with no occupants) you have to follow title 22 and title 5 (which is stricter). In title 5 you have to make everthing (a drink of water, arts and crats, toys) accessable to the children at ALL times- accessable (at least here) means that they are able to get it WITHOUT asking a teacher (that would kinda make me nervous if you have toddlers or children with ADD/ADHD) and you would have to be a director which means you have to have a B.A. in child related studies (including classes in supervision) and a child development director's permit. If you are just starting out or don't plan on going to school, just use the house you live in. And in some states they may not allow this, so just ask your licenser if it is possible in your area and if so what are the requirements.
Megan687 09:48 AM 01-04-2013
I plan on buying/building a home by the spring for daycare only! The cons would definitely be leaving my home to go to a different house! But my husband is stressed about coming home and kiddos running all over his house! He works long hours and in extreme weather, so he needs some time to relax when he gets home.

In my area, houses are dirt cheap - 50-60,000 can buy you a 1000-1,500 sq ft house. The need for childcare is extreme. Just not a lot of solid providers here. I have been full since day 1 and haven't had any advertising. It's all referrals! Which is amazing and I am so blessed!

I plan on doing daycare for as long as I can. I make a profit, and can be a great wife/mom. So I think that buying a home just for daycare is a huge plus. In my state, we can run a Family Child Care Center out of either commercial or residential - regulations really aren't much different as long as it's not a "Center" with 30-50 children. My max here is 15 in that enviroment. 10 if you live in the residence.

A pro would be that if you have the demand, you can take on a 'sub' so you can stay open for weekends/holidays/vacation times and even emergency's where you would otherwise have to close, and not have your sub in your personal home.

Good luck to you in your decision!
Reply Up