Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Only Wants The TV Or Video Games
Unregistered 07:32 PM 09-01-2012
I've begun watching a preschool boy in my home 2 days a week - he's the only child in my care. (I have a preschooler and two school age kids of my own) He continually asks me if he can play the Wii or watch a show. I allow him to do one or the other for up to one hour each day (which is what I allow my own kids) but he just isn't accepting this rule and continues asking all day. I try to get him involved in other activities but he will do them for just a few minutes and then ask for the Wii/TV again. I feel kind of stumped because my own children were never like this. Is this something I just need to continue putting my foot down and eventually he'll get used to it? Should I not allow any screen time for him?
MN Mom 04:59 AM 09-02-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've begun watching a preschool boy in my home 2 days a week - he's the only child in my care. (I have a preschooler and two school age kids of my own) He continually asks me if he can play the Wii or watch a show. I allow him to do one or the other for up to one hour each day (which is what I allow my own kids) but he just isn't accepting this rule and continues asking all day. I try to get him involved in other activities but he will do them for just a few minutes and then ask for the Wii/TV again. I feel kind of stumped because my own children were never like this. Is this something I just need to continue putting my foot down and eventually he'll get used to it? Should I not allow any screen time for him?
DCB sounds exactly like the temp kid I took at the beginning of the summer for awhile. Are you sure you don't have my DCB?

I didn't allow screen time for this child at all because I knew the amount of time he spent with it at home and in the car on mom's phone. The boy I had did not now *how* to play with toys independently. When he was the first one here (before my children were awake) he would sit in the middle of the daycare room and stare into space. I would suggest toys for him to play with and he just had no care or idea what to do without his TV or Wii. Super sad.

So I guess my advise to you is to not offer him any screen time, even if that means making your kids wait until all daycare kids are gone to have their 1 hour.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:08 AM 09-02-2012
I allow no screen time at my house. I feel they get enough of that at home. Now, my playroom and childcare areas are apart from my living room so they do not see the tv. If he keeps pestering I would put him in time out. Once you get a routine going that doesn't include tv he will settle down. Now, that said I did have one mom INSIST that her child shouldn't have to follow my rules and that he NEEDED to have tv. Needless to say she pulled them after a day because her son was too miserable. Funny thing when they were coloring they made cell phones out of paper to talk on and play games on hmmmm.
Reply Up