Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nebraska Providers and New Regulations
Snowbunny 07:09 PM 06-29-2013
This is addressed to Nebraska Child Care Home I and II regarding the new regulations.

I'm wondering how you are wording the now required "Written Disaster Preparedness Plan". Do you think we are now required to get prior permission to transport children in case of a tornado, flood or other disaster? Are we going to be required to have car seats/booster seats for all children? I would be able to transport only 3 children in my Cavalier.

And, as for children with special needs...what do you think is required beyond taking all necessary precautions for their evacuation?

This whole mess has my head spinning.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 06-30-2013
I am not in Nebraska but was wondering if you could post your old rules and then the new changes....

There maybe lots of providers here that may have solutions or have to follow the same rules in their states so they could possibly share with you how they do things.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 06-30-2013
Originally Posted by Snowbunny:
This is addressed to Nebraska Child Care Home I and II regarding the new regulations.

I'm wondering how you are wording the now required "Written Disaster Preparedness Plan". Do you think we are now required to get prior permission to transport children in case of a tornado, flood or other disaster? Are we going to be required to have car seats/booster seats for all children? I would be able to transport only 3 children in my Cavalier.

And, as for children with special needs...what do you think is required beyond taking all necessary precautions for their evacuation?

This whole mess has my head spinning.
If I have to evacuate for any reason, I'm not worrying about carseats. We will use what's in there and if I have to double-buckle someone, I would do that first before I stay in a situation where it's an immediate danger. I wouldn't even bother with the written permission slips. I'd be more concerned with getting medications, photos, basic paperwork and other basics and get out of there.
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:04 AM 06-30-2013
Hello, Snowbunny!

I'm a provider in NE as well. Omaha, actually. I got a letter in the mail about a free training class on the new regulations put on by NDHHS. I signed up to go July 17 (soonest one I could get-they are filling up FAST!) so I will get all the details then.

There are SO MANY changes and new requirements. It looks like they are finally getting ready to jump on board with a Quality Rating System. I've only been hearing about it for 11+ years now...

I started a Nebraska social group on here if you'd like to check it out. There's a whopping 2 members (including me), but hope to get more as I spread the word about this AWESOME forum.
TheGoodLife 09:10 AM 06-30-2013
Originally Posted by KMK:
Hello, Snowbunny!

I'm a provider in NE as well. Omaha, actually. I got a letter in the mail about a free training class on the new regulations put on by NDHHS. I signed up to go July 17 (soonest one I could get-they are filling up FAST!) so I will get all the details then.

There are SO MANY changes and new requirements. It looks like they are finally getting ready to jump on board with a Quality Rating System. I've only been hearing about it for 11+ years now...

I started a Nebraska social group on here if you'd like to check it out. There's a whopping 2 members (including me), but hope to get more as I spread the word about this AWESOME forum.
do you know if you have to be licensed to attend the class? I'm exempt but I like to follow the regulations as closely as possible. Could you pass on any
info you have about it? Thanks!
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:07 PM 06-30-2013
Here's the link to the new handbook (under License Types, click on Family Child Care Home I) and training class schedules are towards the top at "Child Care Provider Regulations Training Dates- Family Child Care Home I and II":

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Page...careindex.aspx

I actually go July 24th after seeing my notes on my letter. There are lots of changes, and like Snowbunny my thoughts are running wild and wonder what it all means. Plus, this is a FREE training, so I'll take it!

I'm sure you are welcome to go. For all they know, you might decide to apply for licensure because of it!
Starburst 02:03 PM 06-30-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
do you know if you have to be licensed to attend the class? I'm exempt but I like to follow the regulations as closely as possible. Could you pass on any
info you have about it? Thanks!
Originally Posted by KMK:
I'm sure you are welcome to go. For all they know, you might decide to apply for licensure because of it!
You should see about going anyway because if they are changing the rules, the exemption rules may change as well (such as lowering capacity of unlicensed care).
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:30 AM 09-10-2013
There are many, many changes for Nebraska licensing. The good news for people already licensed is that a lot of them do not apply (grandfathered), or we have 4 or 5 YEARS to make the changes. Basically, all the changes are happening because they want the rules to be same for in-homes as it is for centers, all across the board. Again, just taking the home out of in-home.

Anyhow, the disaster preparedness is no big whoop. They just want you to have a little paragraph in your handbook or contract that states how and where you would evacuate children to a safe place and how to reunify the kids with the parents in case of a major disaster. It is food for thought...could you imagine something awful going down while we are responsible for so many little people??
itlw8 10:47 AM 09-10-2013
We had to do this in MO a few years ago. mostly you just needed to have a plan. It sounded like we had to have a contract with a company to transport. but that was not the case. Yes we had to get permission to transport in an emergency along with telling parents where we would go. close in case of a fire and further away say for an environmental hazard. As part of my fire evacuation plan I said I would pop them in the wagon or evacuation crib and walk to the near by childcare. In case of a tornado if we were hit and could not shelter in place we would go to the police station shelter. again walk ... Yes in an emergency I would take the truck and seat belt the youngest in . You can not write that in the plan. They can not approve something that is not legal even if they know it might have to happen to evacuate. You just need a plan.

Write it up send it to your rep for her suggestions and then make those changes.
Tags:nebraska, nebraska member, regulations
Reply Up