Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need some advice . . .
spedmommy4 05:13 PM 09-24-2015
I need advice! I terminated care for a child who was engaging in very dangerous behavior today. (Like, earn me a visit from licensing dangerous) When his mom picked up today, she was steamed. I have never seen her so mad. She also insinuated in her text that I was lying about his behavior because he was calm when she left. Grrr . . .

Prior to todays termination, she had invited all my enrolled kids to his birthday party October 4th. Do I tell the other enrolled parents about the situation to get ahead of a potential mud smearing campaign or ride this out and see what happens?
daycare 05:23 PM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I need advice! I terminated care for a child who was engaging in very dangerous behavior today. (Like, earn me a visit from licensing dangerous) When his mom picked up today, she was steamed. I have never seen her so mad. She also insinuated in her text that I was lying about his behavior because he was calm when she left. Grrr . . .

Prior to todays termination, she had invited all my enrolled kids to his birthday party October 4th. Do I tell the other enrolled parents about the situation to get ahead of a potential mud smearing campaign or ride this out and see what happens?
thats a tough call. Personally, I do not think that I would say anything to the parents. not too sure if this would fall under confidentially or not.

Of course she is mad, you broke up with her...lol if she did with you, she would not be mad.

I would ride it out and if the parents come back with questions at that time you can just say that he was a safety issue to our program, it was necessary to part ways.

ugh, I feel for you. maybe someone else has a good idea ....
midaycare 05:51 PM 09-24-2015
I always let parents know when a dck won't be coming anymore. I only have 6 kids each day (8 total), so everyone knows everyone.

Parents have asked me why when dck's have left, and when I termed one for hitting behaviors, I was honest about it. They all knew, they all saw it.

I would say something, but I'd be really careful about what you say. I'm sure they will gossip at the party.
spedmommy4 06:49 PM 09-24-2015
All the parents have seen the behaviors. Most have walked in on meltdowns. I was thinking something general like, I termed a child due to unsafe behaviors that couldn't be resolved. The parent is upset. I just want to be upfront about what happened. I didn't give an immediate termination; she has a short window of time to find alternative care. (As long as this doesn't go completely south)
childcaremom 12:37 AM 09-25-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
All the parents have seen the behaviors. Most have walked in on meltdowns. I was thinking something general like, I termed a child due to unsafe behaviors that couldn't be resolved. The parent is upset. I just want to be upfront about what happened. I didn't give an immediate termination; she has a short window of time to find alternative care. (As long as this doesn't go completely south)
I wouldn't say anything. I don't mention when a child has left or when a child starts. If a parent asks, I give a generic answer "They have moved on.". I don't imply that they were termed and I would never say why.

Mom was angry at pick up but I am sure she will calm down over the next few days. If she doesn't, that is her issue.

If something is said by mom to the other parents, I think that the parents will recognize why the term happened (if they have seen behaviours, they will probably not be surprised). If anyone comes after the party and mentions something, then I might say that someone was termed but that is all you can say. Take the high road. They won't need that much of an imagination to figure it out.

And it's a birthday party, which can often bring out the inner wild child of certain children. I don't think you'll have too many questions.
Play Care 03:07 AM 09-25-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I wouldn't say anything. I don't mention when a child has left or when a child starts. If a parent asks, I give a generic answer "They have moved on.". I don't imply that they were termed and I would never say why.

Mom was angry at pick up but I am sure she will calm down over the next few days. If she doesn't, that is her issue.

If something is said by mom to the other parents, I think that the parents will recognize why the term happened (if they have seen behaviours, they will probably not be surprised). If anyone comes after the party and mentions something, then I might say that someone was termed but that is all you can say. Take the high road. They won't need that much of an imagination to figure it out.

And it's a birthday party, which can often bring out the inner wild child of certain children. I don't think you'll have too many questions.

If this kid already brought licensing down on you, it's not a stretch that mom will use it against you again.
Reply Up